Ps3 vs 360 - controller

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ultra-Fatality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Ultra-Fatality
Member since 2007 • 923 Posts

Which controller do you prefer, the 360 one or the PS3 one. Please, put your bias aside and look at it from a nuetral perspective. I own a 360 and this is what I say:

Looks: IMO the PS3 controller looks better

Handling: IMO the 360 controller has better handling, but only slightly better

Variation: PS3 has six axis which adds a nice touch to games but isnt used too often, 360 has dualshock (which is pretty standard)

So which controller do you think is better?

ChrnoTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ChrnoTrigger
Member since 2008 • 2155 Posts

At the beginning I liked the 360 controller, but nowadays I can't even pick up the 360 controller without feeling awkward. Even for shooter, I seem to have gotten used to the PS3 controller.

It's all personal preference, though.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

The PS3 DualShock 3 does offer the best Vibration this gen (Vibrates Left, right, middle, or all), although that's not saying much, as I'm not a Big Vibro-guy anyways.

Also, if looking at the controllers, the PS3 does offer built in Play and Charge kits in every controller, which is pretty cool.

The 360's controller is PERFECT except for the atrocious Dpad, even if it lacks Motion or the newwer Vibration.

That being said, all the pros and minus', I would give them an equal score, if not for the Dpad on the 360 getting in the way of enjoying some of my games.

Since I ESPECIALLY love my fighters, (And other 2D games like Contra, Streets Of Rage, Street Fighter, MK, Puzzle Fighter), I give the edge to the PS3 controller (Sixaxis or DualShock 3) just for having a better Dpad.

Kirlok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kirlok
Member since 2008 • 2061 Posts

Ill go with 360, it fit prefectly in my hands and the analogs are by far the best in any console. I cant stand the ps3 controller when playing shooters though.

xbox360isgr8t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xbox360isgr8t
Member since 2006 • 6600 Posts

i prefer 360 across the board.

1. layout is better (i hate that two sticks in the middle on the ps3 vs 360 layout)

2 weight the ps3 is so light which is really nice

3. looks i still prefer the 360.

the only thing i like on the ps3 is the buttons on the dpad and the face buttons are nice and its lite but i like the 360 layout overall.

50dollaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 50dollaz
Member since 2006 • 157 Posts
Xbox 360 controller is a lot better. It has a mass, its weight is at least 50 grams, the ps3 is liek a feather, you don't even no yore holding something
ChrnoTrigger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ChrnoTrigger
Member since 2008 • 2155 Posts

Xbox 360 controller is a lot better. It has a mass, its weight is at least 50 grams, the ps3 is liek a feather, you don't even no yore holding something50dollaz

The 360 controller is way too heavy, have you held a DS3? It's weight is perfect IMO.

allnamestaken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 allnamestaken
Member since 2003 • 6618 Posts
360 destroys the PS3 controller.
LTomlinson21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 LTomlinson21
Member since 2004 • 24423 Posts
The Xbox 360 controller is currently the best. The design is great, for the most part, with good analog stick placement, bumpers, good triggers and the first to show off the Guide button. Of course, the D-pad is something worth mentioning in its poor design.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Xbox 360 controller is a lot better. It has a mass, its weight is at least 50 grams, the ps3 is liek a feather, you don't even no yore holding something50dollaz

Then get a Dual Shock 3 if that's your ONLY reason...

venom1032

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 venom1032
Member since 2005 • 135 Posts
PS3, Sony barely changed the design since PSONE which I like.
shadowlusterx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shadowlusterx
Member since 2008 • 295 Posts
I liked the 360 when it came out, but couldn't really get used to it. The PS3 on the other I got used to quickly and am familiar with so I like that better.
polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts
i like the look and the feal of the 360 one :P, but since i had ps1,ps2,ps3 im used to the sony one ^,^
JPSmonkey111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JPSmonkey111
Member since 2008 • 84 Posts

Hmm, from a non-biased point of view, I like the PS3 controller. I really prefer the layout, feel, and weight of it. I do prefer, though, that the 360 controller has the icy glass looking colorful buttons. I like that the PS3 controller doesn't eat my batteries.

PS3 controller for me.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 donwoogie
Member since 2004 • 3707 Posts

PS3 Dualshock 3

Xbox 360 Bumper buttons are titled up too high for my liking and I frequently play games that require the d-pad and the Xbox 360 one seems to be of poor construction.

AlexSheep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AlexSheep
Member since 2005 • 316 Posts
When it comes to FPS, I think the 360 controller is better. But, in every other game and in terms of looks, comfort and size, I prefer the PS3 controller.
polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 polishkid99

i wonder how this would feal :P

TenP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 TenP
Member since 2006 • 3338 Posts

Kb/Mouse is the way to go, but between those...

PS3, it's the first controller design for Sony and it's worked ever since the PS1. Plus SixAxis is pretty neat. I miss the old Xbox Controller that weighed 10 points, at least it was big enough for my hands.

Although I'll mention that until the DS3, 360 had the much better controller.

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts
360 controller all the way, it offers vibration, ergonomics, and the dpad even works good if you use it enough and like me took some sand paper to it to make it work better, and the analog sticks are accurate to a T.

Ps3 controller-vibration is only valid if you go out and buy brand new dual shock 3 controllers which i didn't do, or if the game supports it, it sux in ergonomics, your hand naturally molds to the 360 controller the ps3 controller forces your hand to mold, especially when it comes to the analog sticks which force your thumbs to stretch.

donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 donwoogie
Member since 2004 • 3707 Posts

i wonder how this would feal :P

polishkid99

Really awkward. I'm currently trying to put my hands in the shape of this controller and I can't seem to press all the buttons...............

verbtex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 verbtex  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9196 Posts

For long periods of gaming, I prefer the PS3's controller. It's lighter and its easier on the wrist.

It responds faster, and has better analog control, plus its a little better about being symetrical.

However, I really like the Xbox 360's controller as well. It feels sturdier and its buttons are easier to press. However, I don't like the fact that they switched the places of the directional pad with the analog stick. It feels strange outside of shooter games. I'm not a huge fan of shooters as it is, but, it definently has its advantages.

DJCUEBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DJCUEBALL
Member since 2008 • 2562 Posts
I prefer the comfort of the 360 controller, but the D-Pad just sucks so bad! The PS3 controller is good too, but lacks the comfort feel... it does look very good though and my hands are just used to it from the PS1/PS2 days.
hazbazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 hazbazz
Member since 2005 • 7709 Posts
360 is comfier. I've never actually picked up a PS3 controller, but I can only asume its very similar to PS2s.
ThePlothole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ThePlothole
Member since 2007 • 11515 Posts

Analog sticks: Though I prefer the position of the sticks on the 360 controller, I just love how smoothly the sticks on the SixAxis move. PS3 winner overall.

D-pad: I hate the 360 pad because its mushy. I hate the Sony pad because of that little cut-out in the middle (where my thumb naturally tends to lay). Tied in my disgust for both of them.

Analog Triggers: My fingers tend to slip off of the SixAxis ones. Winner 360.

Center buttons (eg Select/back, Start, X/PS button): The placement of the sticks on the Sony controller makes these difficult to access without shifting my grip. Winner 360.

Pressure sensitive buttons: The feel of these has been much improved on the SixAxis compared to the DS2. You can actually release the pressure very easily now (which is a plus when playing MGS2). As for the 360 controller... well apparently microsoft had actually removed this function from their controllers this gen. Thus PS3 is winner by default... for the rare occasion that a developer actually used this feature anyways.

Comfort level: I actually like that PS3 is so light. Also the very slight changes in its design really do make it more comfortable compared to older DualShock. On the other hand the Sony grips feel rather "flat" compared to the ones on the 360 controller. Particularly the sides... they just doesn't feel natural pressed up against my palms.Overall I think the 360 is the winner here.

Convenience: The PS3 controller is wireless standard. Furthermore it even comes with a rechargeable battery... something Microsoft makes you pay extra for. The only drawback however is that you can apparently only charge the PS3 controller from your PS3, not a wall charger (at least this seems to be the case). Still, I'd say that PS3 is winner overall.

MoldOnHold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MoldOnHold
Member since 2005 • 11760 Posts
I prefer the 360 controller in nearly every way, except for the d-pad, but that's not much of a fuss to me.
polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 polishkid99
anyone mention the bottome triggers on the ps3 controller?... my fingers just slide off and especially in racers when u need to hold it down for a while... on the 360 there like gun triggers and your finger doesent slide off.... and i hate what the ps3's triggers and analog sticks are made out of.. the 360's are alot better comfort wise, but not the bottom triggers on the 360 there just easier yo play on..
lvgaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lvgaming
Member since 2006 • 739 Posts
I think they both are good controllers and I would assume Sony stayed with the PS2 type controller because of people with small hands (japanese) :P I can palm basketballs so controllers like the "Duke" didn't matter..:lol:
mceleste11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mceleste11
Member since 2007 • 163 Posts

360 for everything but fighters.

Plus i'm a old school .. fighter.. and only use.. arcade sticks.. for fighters..

EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts
The PS3 has horribly designed "triggers" in my opinion. left control stick placement is all preference, but after playing years and years on Xbox, GameCube, and Dreamcast controllers, it just feels more natural to me.

The rumble on the PS3 is pretty good if available.
DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts
Personally i like the 360 controller better generally because of a better grip and a better place of the buttons
arachosia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 arachosia
Member since 2003 • 1647 Posts

Well, I've been gaming since 1984 or so, and I have used a wide variety of controllers in my lifetime. In my opinion, the 360 controller is easily the best controller of all time. It fits perfectly in your hands, has a nice weight to it, great triggers, plenty of buttons, perfectly positioned analog sticks, strong vibration effect, and its wireless. Plus it looks pretty good too. The only downside is that tthe d-pad is not the best.

The DS3 is pretty solid too, but the triggers don't feel as nice and the analog sticks are WAY too loose. They don't have the resistance that the 360 ones offer. Plus they are not at an angle to eachother, which is just plain stupid. I can't stand the DS3 for games that require both analog sticks...

Iceman2911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Iceman2911
Member since 2006 • 2669 Posts
If you don't like the ps3 controller that means you didn't like the ps2 controller.I like the ps3 controller because I been playing on the same controller for years.