PS3 Gets DOWNGRADED for European release - Sony pwns European fans again

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fonzipwns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 fonzipwns
Member since 2006 • 682 Posts

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - The European version of PlayStation 3 will play fewer PlayStation 2 video games when it launches on March 23 compared with models launched earlier in Japan and America, Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news) (6758.T) said on Friday.

"The backwards compatibility is not going to be as good as the U.S. and Japan models," a Sony spokesman said.

PlayStation 3 (PS3) was first launched in Japan and North America in November and the model that will be introduced in Europe will be designed differently.

Software will take over some of the functionality that was originally taken care of by dedicated chips, which means far fewer PlayStation 2 (PS2) games can be played on a European PS3 compared with the Japanese and American PS3 models which play 98 percent of old games.

"Sony is managing expectations by saying now that the new console will play fewer of the old games, and that's a good thing," said analyst Alex Kwiatowski at British market research group Vertical Market Technologies.

Over the last 18 months Sony has had a series of public relations disasters, including a recall of nearly 10 million of its computer batteries, PS3 delays and a software program on Sony Entertainment music CDs that breached computer security.

Kwiatowski said gamers with a PS2 would have to hold onto their device to play their current collection.

"I'm as disappointed as the next game player about the reduced backward compatibility, but even the most nostalgic, misty-eyed gamers will have their steely hearts impressed by the new features that PS3 games provide," Kwiatowski said.

The PS3's graphics and sound capabilities are much improved over the PS2.

"Rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3," Sony Computer Entertainment said in a statement.

About one million units will be available at the European launch next month, as many as were made available in the United States during the first six weeks after the launch last year.

Sony loses money at first on each PS3 sale due to high production costs.

But Nobuyuki Oneda, Sony's chief financial officer, said in January the company aims to bring the negative PS3 margin to break even toward the second half of the next business year, which starts in April, by component cost savings on chips driving the PS3.

Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/23/AR2007022300227.html

So, if I'm reading this correctly they've effectively removed the PS2 chips that were contained within the PS3 (to cut costs I'd imagine) so now its down to software emulation. And we know how well thats working out on the 360.

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
WHAT!!!!!!:shock:

That's is just so wrong!
Viviath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Viviath
Member since 2005 • 2795 Posts
good thing i got mine in the US :D
books83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 books83
Member since 2005 • 3733 Posts

Doesn't suprise me the way Sony has been going.

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 cakeorrdeath
This is by far the most wrong thing they have done so far, in my eyes.

They are now giving us a shodier product and charging us more for it.
fonzipwns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 fonzipwns

cakeorrdeath
Exactly what I thought too. Europeans are just getting straight ripped off
hunters0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hunters0
Member since 2005 • 368 Posts
i think this is somthing to be added to the sony disapointment time line!
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tsug_Ze_Wind
Member since 2006 • 9511 Posts

Geez, it's like Sony looks at the PS3's advantages over the 360 and saying "How can we **** this up?"

Next they'll be charging $51 a year for their online service.

bexarath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bexarath
Member since 2005 • 555 Posts
Wow, it just never ends, does it? Why doesn't Sony just right out say that they want to see Europe burn, as they seem to hate it so much? Also, the damage control in that article is hilarious.
BaconBallz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BaconBallz1337
Member since 2006 • 3017 Posts
LMAO!!!! w00t. I laugh at Sony, seriously.
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
Does the European PS3 play next to no PS2 games?  I'm confused.
books83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 books83

cakeorrdeath

Well think about all those great PS3 games that they are going to have for launch. Wouldn't you rather play those than some silly last gen PS2 games.

godhandiscen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 godhandiscen
Member since 2003 • 3454 Posts
Teh conspirancy. I am now a believer. Somebody inside Sony wants to bring them down.
Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
Not to mention they have to pay more for it to. PAL regions shafted as usual.
The_Steam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 The_Steam
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
What the hell? :x
user_nat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 user_nat
Member since 2006 • 3130 Posts
Wow.. I assume this will be the same for us Australians also. The only reason a PS3 has ever got my attention is that even though I couldnt play many new games.. there was always my ps2 games.. I guess we pay more for less

Oh well I guess the ps2 plays ps2 games fine anyhow..
TheSystemLord1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 TheSystemLord1
Member since 2006 • 7786 Posts
Wow.. I assume this will be the same for us Australians also. The only reason a PS3 has ever got my attention is that even though I couldnt play many new games.. there was always my ps2 games.. I guess we pay more for less

Oh well I guess the ps2 plays ps2 games fine anyhow..
user_nat

Until it breaks and you are left unable to play your old games without buying a new PS2.

Trust me, it'll happen.
ZeLeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ZeLeam
Member since 2006 • 726 Posts
http://faq.eu.playstation.com/bc/ That's the web for checking bc of PAL games (still not up). Also more games will be added via firmware updates (articles just forget to mention that it seems). As long as it plays god of war and ff i'm happy
SuzumeCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SuzumeCake
Member since 2006 • 4347 Posts

"Sony is managing expectations by saying now that the new console will play fewer of the old games, and that's a good thing," said analyst Alex Kwiatowski at British market research group Vertical Market Technologies. fonzipwns

great news!
books83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 books83

I don't know why every one is overreacting to this.

1. You don't know just how much less it is BC than the US/JP systems

and 2. They can always fix it through firmware updates later on.

jahdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jahdude
Member since 2006 • 382 Posts
Well look at X360 BC, quite bad wouldnt ya say? Well this is also kind of sad, quite laughable actually, SOny screwing their customers once again, plus still doesnt seem like the games during the EU launch will be too good, so eh dont see why anyone would want one, yet.
zsc4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 zsc4
Member since 2005 • 5233 Posts
:lol: Bad news again for Europe.
stevencompton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 stevencompton
Member since 2003 • 1461 Posts
WHAT! Damn you Sony Europe (again)! Looks like I may be buying a spare PS2......
Dead_Menn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dead_Menn
Member since 2006 • 637 Posts

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - The European version of PlayStation 3 will play fewer PlayStation 2 video games when it launches on March 23 compared with models launched earlier in Japan and America, Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news) (6758.T) said on Friday.

"The backwards compatibility is not going to be as good as the U.S. and Japan models," a Sony spokesman said.

PlayStation 3 (PS3) was first launched in Japan and North America in November and the model that will be introduced in Europe will be designed differently.

Software will take over some of the functionality that was originally taken care of by dedicated chips, which means far fewer PlayStation 2 (PS2) games can be played on a European PS3 compared with the Japanese and American PS3 models which play 98 percent of old games.

"Sony is managing expectations by saying now that the new console will play fewer of the old games, and that's a good thing," said analyst Alex Kwiatowski at British market research group Vertical Market Technologies.

Over the last 18 months Sony has had a series of public relations disasters, including a recall of nearly 10 million of its computer batteries, PS3 delays and a software program on Sony Entertainment music CDs that breached computer security.

Kwiatowski said gamers with a PS2 would have to hold onto their device to play their current collection.

"I'm as disappointed as the next game player about the reduced backward compatibility, but even the most nostalgic, misty-eyed gamers will have their steely hearts impressed by the new features that PS3 games provide," Kwiatowski said.

The PS3's graphics and sound capabilities are much improved over the PS2.

"Rather than concentrate on PS2 backwards compatibility, in the future, company resources will be increasingly focused on developing new games and entertainment features exclusively for PS3," Sony Computer Entertainment said in a statement.

About one million units will be available at the European launch next month, as many as were made available in the United States during the first six weeks after the launch last year.

Sony loses money at first on each PS3 sale due to high production costs.

But Nobuyuki Oneda, Sony's chief financial officer, said in January the company aims to bring the negative PS3 margin to break even toward the second half of the next business year, which starts in April, by component cost savings on chips driving the PS3.

Link: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/02/23/AR2007022300227.html

So, if I'm reading this correctly they've effectively removed the PS2 chips that were contained within the PS3 (to cut costs I'd imagine) so now its down to software emulation. And we know how well thats working out on the 360.

fonzipwns
ill add this to the new list http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25400485 the thred must go on it was my true calling lol
-Reggaeton-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 -Reggaeton-
Member since 2007 • 2392 Posts
@£€&#/Q%"!)/"#¤&#(!&(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats LAME!
leeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 leeee
Member since 2003 • 5182 Posts
rofl and how the cows made fun of 360's backwards compatibility. . .
fonzipwns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 fonzipwns

books83
The point is that it will be able to emulate less games (no one knows by how much yet, but judging by 360 software emulation it will be a lot), and yet they have to pay more for it. Firmware updates are slow to develop, and aren't totally perfect (see Xbox 360) Also, this seems like a relatively new decision by Sony, so it is unlikley that they have started work on developing any of the software emulation for PS2 games yet.
Lilac_Benjie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lilac_Benjie
Member since 2006 • 12287 Posts
That's actually a good thing, because now consumers have a reason to keep hold of their PS2's.

Thank you Sony. :)

Colinllama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Colinllama
Member since 2006 • 466 Posts

I succumbed about a week ago and pre-ordered a PS3, a deciding factor being that I could play PS2 games on it, and there are a few PS2 games I want to play. (and I gave my PS2 awaya few weeks ago.)

Cancelling my pre-order this weekend and buying a 360 and a new PS2 instead. 

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cakeorrdeath

[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]This is by far the most wrong thing they have done so far, in my eyes.

books83

Well think about all those great PS3 games that they are going to have for launch. Wouldn't you rather play those than some silly last gen PS2 games.

Yesterday I thought I would be able to do both.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 cakeorrdeath
That's actually a good thing, because now consumers have a reason to keep hold of their PS2's.

Thank you Sony. :)

Lilac_Benjie

What? Good for Sony's bank balancxe maybe. It's not good for consumers.
Vampyronight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Vampyronight
Member since 2002 • 3933 Posts
The article provides no specifics, so nobody should be jumping up and down (yet). If US/JP versions play 98%, perhaps the EU will only play 97%. Is that worth getting your panties up in a twist over? Furthermore, the 360's experience with backwards compatibility may be completely different in the long run. PS2 was weaker and will be easier to emulate, so it could still be more likely to get up to full compatibility.
ssjlv4nappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ssjlv4nappa
Member since 2006 • 77 Posts
Im pretty fed up with this now. Think I may cancel my pre order as a result of this.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 cakeorrdeath
[QUOTE="Vampyronight"]The article provides no specifics, so nobody should be jumping up and down (yet). If US/JP versions play 98%, perhaps the EU will only play 97%. Is that worth getting your panties up in a twist over? Furthermore, the 360's experience with backwards compatibility may be completely different in the long run. PS2 was weaker and will be easier to emulate, so it could still be more likely to get up to full compatibility.

"Kwiatowski said gamers with a PS2 would have to hold onto their device to play their current collection."

That's pretty damning!
user_nat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 user_nat
Member since 2006 • 3130 Posts

books83
The bad part is we pay more.. and get LESS
gmastersexay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gmastersexay
Member since 2003 • 3831 Posts
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"][QUOTE="Vampyronight"]The article provides no specifics, so nobody should be jumping up and down (yet). If US/JP versions play 98%, perhaps the EU will only play 97%. Is that worth getting your panties up in a twist over? Furthermore, the 360's experience with backwards compatibility may be completely different in the long run. PS2 was weaker and will be easier to emulate, so it could still be more likely to get up to full compatibility.

"Kwiatowski said gamers with a PS2 would have to hold onto their device to play their current collection."

That's pretty damning!

Kwiatowski, an analyst, doesn't work for Sony. Kwiatowski is making assumptions.
ZeLeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ZeLeam
Member since 2006 • 726 Posts
[QUOTE="books83"]

user_nat
The bad part is we pay more.. and get LESS

We pay more for everything... thank to the taxes and € value :P. If you dont like it import stuff as i do :P
Colinllama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Colinllama
Member since 2006 • 466 Posts
The more I think about this, the more annoyed I get.  I am sick of getting shafted by Sony.  I won't be buying anything with a Sony logo on it again.
chrismunx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chrismunx
Member since 2003 • 3964 Posts
So...everyone doesn't have a PS2 anymore? Did I miss something? Did ninja's go all ouver EU and steal PS2's all of the sudden?
GeneralZ0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GeneralZ0d
Member since 2006 • 671 Posts
WHATTTTT!!!!!!

A games company treating PAL territories like a lepor colony!!! The shock, the horror.

Well I guess we should be used to it by now considering Nintendo treated us like something unpleasant they just scraped off their shoe for over a decade.
Doomshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Doomshine
Member since 2004 • 908 Posts
[QUOTE="gmastersexay"][QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"][QUOTE="Vampyronight"]The article provides no specifics, so nobody should be jumping up and down (yet). If US/JP versions play 98%, perhaps the EU will only play 97%. Is that worth getting your panties up in a twist over? Furthermore, the 360's experience with backwards compatibility may be completely different in the long run. PS2 was weaker and will be easier to emulate, so it could still be more likely to get up to full compatibility.

That's pretty damning!

Kwiatowski, an analyst, doesn't work for Sony. Kwiatowski is making assumptions.

I was just thinking about that, what does he know?

I'll wait for something official on this.
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Tsug_Ze_Wind

So...everyone doesn't have a PS2 anymore? Did I miss something? Did ninja's go all ouver EU and steal PS2's all of the sudden?chrismunx

What about the people that sold their PS2s?

Not to mention it's not even that people are getting worked up over, it's that now they have to pay more for less. It's bad news, no matter how you spin it.

chrismunx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 chrismunx
Member since 2003 • 3964 Posts

[QUOTE="chrismunx"]So...everyone doesn't have a PS2 anymore? Did I miss something? Did ninja's go all ouver EU and steal PS2's all of the sudden?Tsug_Ze_Wind

What about the people that sold their PS2s?

Not to mention it's not even that people are getting worked up over, it's that now they have to pay more for less. It's bad news, no matter how you spin it.

I'm not trying to spin anything. Everyone here is acting as if they don't have a PS2 anymore. Granted, this news really sucks for Euro alike but...eeeesh. And the PS3 isn't cheaper either. Go fig eh?

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Well thats just a cruel joke. First a long delay, then an even more ridiculous price, now duff backwards compatibility on top of a controller that won`t even rumble.
Mass_Effect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Mass_Effect
Member since 2006 • 1993 Posts
I've pre-ordered a PS3, but I can see why so many people don't want one.
HarryCrackage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 HarryCrackage
Member since 2004 • 1426 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority here. I could care less about BC on either console. The only original Xbox game I ever played on my 360 was Halo 2 and I quit doing that quite some time ago. It sucks that Europe's PS3s won't be as feature-rich as their U.S. and Japaneze counterparts but once the good games start coming people will forget all about the BC that they so desire.
fonzipwns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 fonzipwns
[QUOTE="Doomshine"][QUOTE="gmastersexay"][QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"][QUOTE="Vampyronight"]The article provides no specifics, so nobody should be jumping up and down (yet). If US/JP versions play 98%, perhaps the EU will only play 97%. Is that worth getting your panties up in a twist over? Furthermore, the 360's experience with backwards compatibility may be completely different in the long run. PS2 was weaker and will be easier to emulate, so it could still be more likely to get up to full compatibility.

That's pretty damning!

I was just thinking about that, what does he know?

I'll wait for something official on this.

The original story was from a Sony press release this morning. Kwiatowski is making assumptions because he doesn't know the new % of PS2 compatability - and I seriously doubt Sony does either at the moment!
Tsug_Ze_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Tsug_Ze_Wind

I'm not trying to spin anything. Everyone here is acting as if they don't have a PS2 anymore. Granted, this news really sucks for Euro alike but...eeeesh. And the PS3 isn't cheaper either. Go fig eh?

chrismunx

What if they don't have a PS2 anymore? If they sold it, or it broke? What if BC was the deciding factor for their purchase, for whatever reason?

Mass_Effect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mass_Effect
Member since 2006 • 1993 Posts

I guess I'm in the minority here. I could care less about BC on either console. The only original Xbox game I ever played on my 360 was Halo 2 and I quit doing that quite some time ago. It sucks that Europe's PS3s won't be as feature-rich as their U.S. and Japaneze counterparts but once the good games start coming people will forget all about the BC that they so desire.HarryCrackage

I don't care about PS3 BC, because I've still got a PS2 (three actually :wink: ), but giving us Europeans an inferior product is taking the piss. Even if I won't use the feature, it should still be as good as the US and Japan consoles

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority here. I could care less about BC on either console. The only original Xbox game I ever played on my 360 was Halo 2 and I quit doing that quite some time ago. It sucks that Europe's PS3s won't be as feature-rich as their U.S. and Japaneze counterparts but once the good games start coming people will forget all about the BC that they so desire.HarryCrackage
Tell that to the Wii`s VC sales.