PS3 Does Not Have -A Rich Online System Like Xbox Live- Says Yamauchi

• 133 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for devilsoultaker2
devilsoultaker2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 devilsoultaker2
Member since 2009 • 904 Posts

"On the PS3, we don't have a rich online system like an Xbox Live, and each title has to create its own online system features. But because we build from scratch, there are a lot of possibilities that are not in the other online games out there right now."

another blow for GT5 ?

Link

Modern_Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Modern_Unit
Member since 2010 • 1511 Posts

Wow, even Sony first pary devs say XBL is better. Wonder how cows are gonna do damage control now?

racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
Well at least he's honest.
canoecamue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 canoecamue
Member since 2004 • 709 Posts

He says: "But because we build from scratch, there are a lot of possibilities that are not in the other online games out there right now."

Seems like a good thing to me.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

Well at least he's honest.racing1750

yup Yamauchi is one of the few honest ones sometimes in what he saying.Also he likes being a perfectionist as we have seen with GT5 xD.

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts

Wow, even Sony first pary devs say XBL is better. Wonder how cows are gonna do damage control now?

Modern_Unit

He means that Live takes more control of game then PSN

Avatar image for devilsoultaker2
devilsoultaker2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 devilsoultaker2
Member since 2009 • 904 Posts

Modern_Unit
bu-bu-bu teh Free :(
gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

No it's not another blow to GT5, Yamauchi is just stating what's already known.

savetehhaloz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#9 savetehhaloz
Member since 2007 • 2373 Posts
Yamauchi is stating the obvious.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
... Of course XBL is vastly superior to the PSN.. What makes it so infuriating is its been years now and Sony hasn't made any real meaningful improvement to the network.. Instead they created one of the most useless things out there, Playstation Home.. Now you could say "but its free".. Yeah and in my mind XBL is just as free with only have to pay $3 a month for the service.. To me it speaks of hypocrisy, you are willing to pay $60 for a game, uncountable amount of money for accessories.. And $400 to $600 on a console.. But $3 a month, is where you are drawing the line..
Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts

Modern_Unit
LOL I was wondering the same thing. At least he's being honest
Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowriverUB"]

[QUOTE="Modern_Unit"]

No he doesn't. If you read the whole thing, it means exactly what it sounds like. Live is better than PSN in every aspect
Vadamee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vadamee
Member since 2009 • 1195 Posts
I'm curious to know what features he's talking about because there isn't anything on consoles that can match the integration of Halo 3 and FM3.
cutmaclass1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cutmaclass1
Member since 2004 • 1611 Posts
I'm sure for big titles like GT5 there is no issue just hiring people or connecting with Sony employees who can work it out so that creating an online interface can be as streamlined as possible for the developers. Sony knows its exclusive titles are perhaps the largest draw to its system and when it comes to Gran Turismo, Sony wouldn't just let the developers flounder on an important aspect of the game without guidance. The implications for developers that aren't on Sony's go-to list aren't exactly as nice.
SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#16 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
I'm curious to know what features he's talking about because there isn't anything on consoles that can match the integration of Halo 3 and FM3.Vadamee
What does FM3 do?
R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

But because we build from scratch, there are a lot of possibilities that are not in the other online games out there right now."

Link

devilsoultaker2

That's a compliment if I've ever heard one, seems it's not all bad.

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#18 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

Well what does he mean by "rich online system"?

canoecamue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 canoecamue
[QUOTE="Funconsole"][QUOTE="ShadowriverUB"]

[QUOTE="Modern_Unit"]

No he doesn't. If you read the whole thing, it means exactly what it sounds like. Live is better than PSN in every aspect

No he says that and then: "But because we build from scratch, there are a lot of possibilities that are not in the other online games out there right now." Meaning XBL is better but because they design it from the ground up for psn, they can add features which are somehow limited on XBL whatever and however they are limited I dont know.
UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts

Yeah, that quote has gone into my signature. It neatly encapsulates what makes Xbox Live superior over PSN.

Avatar image for DontBeHatin1983
DontBeHatin1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DontBeHatin1983
Member since 2008 • 1044 Posts

"On the PS3, we don't have a rich online system like an Xbox Live, and each title has to create its own online system features. But because we build from scratch, there are a lot of possibilities that are not in the other online games out there right now."

another blow for GT5 ?

Link

devilsoultaker2

how is it a blow to GT5 i think he dosent like the fact that he has to invest time to build the online features from scratch Xlive is ready out of the box.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

So technically PS3 is a pain in the ass to develop for in everything from its architecture to its online system :P.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts

Bottom line is if GT5 were on Xbox 360, it would probably have come out by now, since one of the major components they have to develop (online play) would have been largely taken care of.

canoecamue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 canoecamue

Bottom line is if GT5 were on Xbox 360, it would probably have come out by now, since one of the major components they have to develop (online play) would have been largely taken care of.

UnnDunn
And they would have called it Forza 3!
delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts
this is going to really upset the cows, expect 3 times the amount of 360 bashing threads over the next few days, WOW, how honest is this guy, now i really hope GT5 scores and sells well, seems like this company is one of the few that deserves it
AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16714 Posts

Well what does he mean by "rich online system"?

Mr_Ditters
"rich" in standard features that weren't seen on consoles before and user friendly interface.
AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#27 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16714 Posts

So technically PS3 is a pain in the ass to develop for in everything from its architecture to its online system :P.

Kashiwaba
And that is coming from the most important first party developer :P
mirriorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 mirriorman
Member since 2009 • 1946 Posts

Modern_Unit

by putting their hands over their ears and yelling uncharted2 alot?

TintedEyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TintedEyes
Member since 2009 • 4769 Posts
Oh look another article for 360 fans and GT5 haters to get happy over, have fun guys. GT5 is going to be great. :)
njean777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 njean777
Member since 2007 • 3807 Posts

hmm reading this he said xbox live is better, which it is. But thats still not a good excuse for why we a paying for it. Online on pc is better then xbox live and its free for most, unless you are running a server. So my main problem is im still having to pay for it if i want to play online for my xbox. Not to mention to the person who said it weird how people will draw the line over 3 bucks a months, well i picked up the xbox when it was 400$ and was the biggest POS in electronics. I have had 3 of them so far, i had to buy a new one cuz mine e74'ed after my warranty went out. So i have spent 500 on a ps3 with free online, and about 700 on the xbox.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Well since they have to build the online from scratch, that's pretty much a no-brainer. At least he realize the importance of online these days and isn't acting like it doesn't exist. That's refreshing and perhaps bodes well for GT5's online.

The first step is realizing the problem.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 heretrix

hmm reading this he said xbox live is better, which it is. But thats still not a good excuse for why we a paying for it. Online on pc is better then xbox live and its free for most, unless you are running a server. So my main problem is im still having to pay for it if i want to play online for my xbox. Not to mention to the person who said it weird how people will draw the line over 3 bucks a months, well i picked up the xbox when it was 400$ and was the biggest POS in electronics. I have had 3 of them so far, i had to buy a new one cuz mine e74'ed after my warranty went out. So i have spent 500 on a ps3 with free online, and about 700 on the xbox.

njean777

I really wish people would stop trying to rationalize comparing an open system like the PC to a closed network like XBL. It makes no sense. You pay for XBL because it is Microsoft's network. Contrary to what people want to believe there are costs involved and they want to make a profit. Regardless of your preference, they provide content that they feel is enough for them to charge you for.

asdasdrgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 asdasdrgr
Member since 2010 • 489 Posts
LOL classic misinterpretation. "On the PS3, we don't have a rich online system like an Xbox Live" Clarification rich(bloated with meaningless features)=/=better He then clarifies below "But because we build from scratch, there are a lot of possibilities that are not in the other online games out there right now." That aren't on other online games like *cough* forza 3 *cough* In other words he is saying GT5 will have better online than forza 3.
KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 KingsMessenger
Member since 2009 • 2574 Posts

[QUOTE="devilsoultaker2"]

But because we build from scratch, there are a lot of possibilities that are not in the other online games out there right now."

Link

R3FURBISHED

That's a compliment if I've ever heard one, seems it's not all bad.

A compliment to himself?

What he is saying is that they have to spend additional time building their online, but that they have been able to build an online that wouldn't necessarily be possible in other online games.

He isn't complimenting PSN.

KingsMessenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KingsMessenger
Member since 2009 • 2574 Posts

LOL classic misinterpretation. "On the PS3, we don't have a rich online system like an Xbox Live" Clarification rich(bloated with meaningless features)=/=better He then clarifies below "But because we build from scratch, there are a lot of possibilities that are not in the other online games out there right now." That aren't on other online games like *cough* forza 3 *cough* In other words he is saying GT5 will have better online than forza 3.asdasdrgr

That is one way to spin it. even if that isn't even remotely close to what he meant.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 heretrix

LOL classic misinterpretation. "On the PS3, we don't have a rich online system like an Xbox Live" Clarification rich(bloated with meaningless features)=/=better He then clarifies below "But because we build from scratch, there are a lot of possibilities that are not in the other online games out there right now." That aren't on other online games like *cough* forza 3 *cough* In other words he is saying GT5 will have better online than forza 3.asdasdrgr

What makes your misinterpretation better than anyone else's?

bretthorror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 bretthorror
Member since 2006 • 1387 Posts

One thing I've never got is why Live is so much better than PSN. Maybe some nerd could enlighten me, but having played both I can't figure out the difference besides I like the ability to private chat on Live better. Otherwise it's just the same ol' song and dance to me, except one is $60 less per year.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

In my opinin he is saying that Xbox live has a mould that evrey game has to comply to, so games can be made online compatible faster and easier but cant have some features (dunno witch) but PSN has to built from the ground up for each game so it takes longer and is more expansive but allows a more freeform development.

I suspect that Xbox live allows stuff like links to its Xbox Marketplace, people online counters etc. to be quickly added into the game, while on the PSN they have to be coded from scratch.

patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts

Modern_Unit

Easy PSN is free.

patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts

Xlive doesn't have anything that I need that PSN doesn't have. Having experience with both Xlive better features are worthless to me.

asdasdrgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 asdasdrgr

[QUOTE="asdasdrgr"]LOL classic misinterpretation. "On the PS3, we don't have a rich online system like an Xbox Live" Clarification rich(bloated with meaningless features)=/=better He then clarifies below "But because we build from scratch, there are a lot of possibilities that are not in the other online games out there right now." That aren't on other online games like *cough* forza 3 *cough* In other words he is saying GT5 will have better online than forza 3.heretrix

Did Yamauchi tell me that? no, ok. So we are speculating on what he meant by that. Doesn't mean me or topic creator are correct or wrong, but that comments can be taken both ways.
Vadamee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Vadamee
Member since 2009 • 1195 Posts

One thing I've never got is why Live is so much better than PSN. Maybe some nerd could enlighten me, but having played both I can't figure out the difference besides I like the ability to private chat on Live better. Otherwise it's just the same ol' song and dance to me, except one is $60 less per year.

bretthorror
$60? Try $35.... Is it me or do cows tend to exaggerate the cost of things?
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 heretrix

bretthorror

Wow. You must have been that dude they put in suspended animation in 1983. How's the present treating you?

Nerds. lol.

Theguy56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#44 Theguy56
Member since 2003 • 1379 Posts

Of course PS3 doesn't have a rich online system as Sony get no money from it :P

InfiniteBlak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 InfiniteBlak
Member since 2009 • 794 Posts
lemms grasp for any tidbit, i think he means its a more flexbile platform to do what they want.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="asdasdrgr"]LOL classic misinterpretation. "On the PS3, we don't have a rich online system like an Xbox Live" Clarification rich(bloated with meaningless features)=/=better He then clarifies below "But because we build from scratch, there are a lot of possibilities that are not in the other online games out there right now." That aren't on other online games like *cough* forza 3 *cough* In other words he is saying GT5 will have better online than forza 3.asdasdrgr

Did Yamauchi tell me that? no, ok. So we are speculating on what he meant by that. Doesn't mean me or topic creator are correct or wrong, but that comments can be taken both ways.

No, it just means you are purposefully misinterpreting the text to make a point.

asdasdrgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 asdasdrgr

[QUOTE="asdasdrgr"][QUOTE="heretrix"]

heretrix

No, it just means you are purposefully misinterpreting the text to make a point.

No, it means you do not want GT5 to be better than forza 3.
CakeBalls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 CakeBalls
Member since 2009 • 848 Posts
Sounds to me like even with Sony's inferior network implementation, GT5 online will be amazing. If anything he's selling his own game.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="asdasdrgr"] Did Yamauchi tell me that? no, ok. So we are speculating on what he meant by that. Doesn't mean me or topic creator are correct or wrong, but that comments can be taken both ways.asdasdrgr

I see yourmisinterpretation skills are at maximum today. You don't know what I want.Maybe you need to read a post I made in this very thread about what I thought he meant. Then you can feel free to feel very foolish.

asdasdrgr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 asdasdrgr

[QUOTE="asdasdrgr"][QUOTE="heretrix"]No, it just means you are purposefully misinterpreting the text to make a point.

heretrix

I see yourmisinterpretation skills are at maximum today. You don't know what I want.Maybe you need to read a post I made in this very thread about what I thought he meant. Then you can feel free to feel very foolish.

Same could be said about you, about me doing it on purpose or not, i was proving a point, you didn't figure out for yourself.