Pretty Killzone 2 Video: Beautiful Shooter with Shallow Design

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f956b96dc672
deactivated-5f956b96dc672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5f956b96dc672
Member since 2007 • 2218 Posts

Linky to video

killzone 2 LOOKS absolutely phenomonal. it has stellar graphics and animations, and when it is in motion, few games can match it, on any system.

however, in this trailer of solely gameplay, the actual level design and game mechanics do not seem so incredible.

in almost every clip, the goal was either shoot red barrels to blow up nearby enemies, or shoot convieniently placed rocket launcher into clearly marked target to advance the campaign.

if the game is going to base the campaign, or at least many parts of the campaign on blowing up clearly marked items to get a scripted effect, it does not deserve to be ranked among the high quality shooters of this generation.

(i would mention the dumb looking AI, but this isnt a final build, and hopefully it will improve)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5f956b96dc672
PS: hopefully Resistance 2 will be the shooter that killzone 2 wants to be. my money is on resistance2
PK_3100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 PK_3100
Member since 2007 • 234 Posts

PS: hopefully Resistance 2 will be the shooter that killzone 2 wants to be. my money is on resistance2Awinagainov

mine is too

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the link.
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts
That looked so badass, thanks for sharing :D
diped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 diped
Member since 2008 • 2005 Posts
not to mention the terrible Ai who seem to ignore no one but the player controlled character. Nor can a turret seem to shoot at the guy who is standing in the open with the rocket launcher.
bungie93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bungie93
Member since 2008 • 2445 Posts
The textures are crap, the lighting, though flashy, is very unrealistic, and color palette is boring. The gameplay sucks even more.
Happy_Schman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Happy_Schman
Member since 2005 • 380 Posts

Linky to video

killzone 2 LOOKS absolutely phenomonal. it has stellar graphics and animations, and when it is in motion, few games can match it, on any system.

however, in this trailer of solely gameplay, the actual level design and game mechanics do not seem so incredible.

in almost every clip, the goal was either shoot red barrels to blow up nearby enemies, or shoot convieniently placed rocket launcher into clearly marked target to advance the campaign.

if the game is going to base the campaign, or at least many parts of the campaign on blowing up clearly marked items to get a scripted effect, it does not deserve to be ranked among the high quality shooters of this generation.

(i would mention the dumb looking AI, but this isnt a final build, and hopefully it will improve)

Awinagainov

Isn't that just like COD 4's singleplayer?

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#9 Jrfanfreak88
Member since 2008 • 1792 Posts

Linky to video

Awinagainov

Have you played the game yet? Yeah I didn't think so. Don't base a game off of less than 3 minutes of video.

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jrfanfreak88

not to mention the terrible Ai who seem to ignore no one but the player controlled character. Nor can a turret seem to shoot at the guy who is standing in the open with the rocket launcher.diped

Did you consider that the gameplay might be on a casual difficulty setting? Besides, A.I. is like this in many FPS, for example Cod4.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

[QUOTE="diped"]not to mention the terrible Ai who seem to ignore no one but the player controlled character. Nor can a turret seem to shoot at the guy who is standing in the open with the rocket launcher.Jrfanfreak88

Did you consider that the gameplay might be on a casual difficulty setting? Besides, A.I. is like this in many FPS, for example Cod4.

Exacly,but people seem to ignore that,

Metsvideogame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Metsvideogame
Member since 2008 • 1145 Posts
it looks like a lamborguini but runs like a GM.
Homesrfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Homesrfan
Member since 2006 • 5192 Posts
[QUOTE="Awinagainov"]

Linky to video

Jrfanfreak88

Have you played the game yet? Yeah I didn't think so. Don't base a game off of less than 3 minutes of video.

That excuse is lame. Has anyone played the game? So you expect us to comment in completely neutral posts. People can make opinions.

Metsvideogame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Metsvideogame
[QUOTE="Jrfanfreak88"][QUOTE="Awinagainov"]

Linky to video

Homesrfan

That excuse is lame. Has anyone played the game? So you expect us to comment in completely neutral posts. People can make opinions.

keep wishing hard, that game isnt going to unseat Gears 2. Thats for sure.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 thrones
Member since 2004 • 12178 Posts
[QUOTE="Homesrfan"][QUOTE="Jrfanfreak88"][QUOTE="Awinagainov"]

Linky to video

Metsvideogame

It can't anyway, different genres and platforms ._.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5f956b96dc672
[QUOTE="Awinagainov"]

Linky to video

Happy_Schman

i dont rememer COD4's campaign telling me to shoot red barrels every few minutes
Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jrfanfreak88
[QUOTE="Homesrfan"][QUOTE="Jrfanfreak88"][QUOTE="Awinagainov"]

Linky to video

Metsvideogame

Unseat Gears 2? Gears 2 isn't out yet so you don't know if it's good or any better than Killzone 2. Furthermore, I never said anything about Gears 2 or about Killzone 2 having to be better than any other game. I didn't like the first Killzone, and not going to care if it's good or not. There's countless first person shooters out there and regardless of what games are good or not i'm already a very satisfied PS3 owner. All i'm saying is that after watching a edited 3 minute video how does this TC know the level design isn't good? Has the TC played other levels? No. On top of this, what's wrong with scripted events? The part in COD4 where the helicopter blows up and crashes right infront of you is AWESOME. Did I care if it was prescripted? Nope not at all. Now I do agree that the A.I. looks stupid but who's to say it's not on a easy difficulty setting? I rest my case.

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts

PS: hopefully Resistance 2 will be the shooter that killzone 2 wants to be. my money is on resistance2Awinagainov

Can someone tell me why there was ever any hype for Resistance? I rented the game and I've been playing through it, and it's probably the most underwhelming FPS I've played this gen. Completely average in every single aspect, from the graphics down to the gameplay. It's mystifying to me that there was ever any hype for it at all. Just goes to show you how hungry Playstation owners were for a shooter, any shooter. Eurogamer's 6/10 review for Resistance is incredibly accurate.

What makes it worse is I'm coming to Resistance after playing R&C: Tools of Destruction, which has ended up as one of my favorite games this gen. Doesn't even seem like Resistance was made by the same company, it's so inferior.

Killzone 2 will probably be much better than Resistance 2, if Resistance 1 is any indication. Unlike Killzone 1, Resistance 1 was created in this gen, and by the same team making the sequel.

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jrfanfreak88
[QUOTE="Happy_Schman"][QUOTE="Awinagainov"]

Linky to video

Awinagainov

i dont rememer COD4's campaign telling me to shoot red barrels every few minutes

Haha, you should play Half Life 2! I've never seen so many explosive barrels in my life.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 thrones
[QUOTE="Happy_Schman"][QUOTE="Awinagainov"]

Linky to video

Awinagainov

Half Life 2 did, you know. Best shooter ever, of all time, in history?
Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jrfanfreak88

[QUOTE="Awinagainov"]PS: hopefully Resistance 2 will be the shooter that killzone 2 wants to be. my money is on resistance2Zeliard9

Can someone tell me why there was ever any hype for Resistance? I rented the game and I've been playing through it, and it's probably the most underwhelming FPS I've played this gen. Completely average in every single aspect, from the graphics down to the gameplay. It's mystifying to me that there was ever any hype for it at all. Just goes to show you how hungry Playstation owners were for a shooter, any shooter. Eurogamer's 6/10 review for Resistance is incredibly accurate.

What makes it worse is I'm coming to Resistance after playing R&C: Tools of Destruction, which has ended up as one of my favorite games this gen. Doesn't even seem like Resistance was made by the same company, it's so inferior.

Killzone 2 will probably be much better than Resistance 2, if Resistance 1 is any indication. Unlike Killzone 1, Resistance 1 was created in this gen, and by the same team making the sequel.

Resistance is pretty average but it was a good early PS3 game to have. It offered some good online play too (20 on 20 is a blast in my opinion).

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#22 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts

The textures are crap, the lighting, though flashy, is very unrealistic, and color palette is boring. The gameplay sucks even more.bungie93

Get off the meds. Its the best looking console game period.

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Jrfanfreak88

Half Life 2 did, you know. Best shooter ever, of all time, in history?thrones

Haha that's what I said!

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Jrfanfreak88

[QUOTE="bungie93"]The textures are crap, the lighting, though flashy, is very unrealistic, and color palette is boring. The gameplay sucks even more.caseypayne69

His username says it all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-5f956b96dc672

Unseat Gears 2? Gears 2 isn't out yet so you don't know if it's good or any better than Killzone 2. Furthermore, I never said anything about Gears 2 or about Killzone 2 having to be better than any other game. I didn't like the first Killzone, and not going to care if it's good or not. There's countless first person shooters out there and regardless of what games are good or not i'm already a very satisfied PS3 owner. All i'm saying is that after watching a edited 3 minute video how does this TC know the level design isn't good? Has the TC played other levels? No. On top of this, what's wrong with scripted events? The part in COD4 where the helicopter blows up and crashes right infront of you is AWESOME. Did I care if it was prescripted? Nope not at all. Now I do agree that the A.I. looks stupid but who's to say it's not on a easy difficulty setting? I rest my case.

Jrfanfreak88

i never said anything about gears2 either.

however, if a game company is trying to show off a game that has a LOT to prove, why show parts that dont showcase inspired level design? and shooting specified things to have themblow up, which i believe a developer from Guerilla called "Happy Accidents" (which are pre determined) (i know this was said, i cant find the video) does not showcase agood shooter.

and i know i havent, and none of us here have, played any of killzone2. so, yes, i am criticizing a game that isnt out yet. but to all of those here who give the game such vaulted praise, let me remind you that you havent played the game yet either. and undeserving praise is just as bad as undeserving criticism

deebo_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deebo_x
Member since 2003 • 941 Posts

So if Killzone 2 is so mediocre and brings nothing new to the genre then exactly what did CallofDuty4 do? I've beat that game twice and if it wasn't for the graphics there would have been no wow factor for me.

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jrfanfreak88
[QUOTE="Jrfanfreak88"][QUOTE="Awinagainov"]

Linky to video

Homesrfan

I don't think he can claim the level design is boring when he's not even seeing most of the levels. On top of that we don't know what difficulty setting the game is being played on. Futhermore, the TC is anti-hpying the game which is fine but when people do hype a game they get the same comments like mine so I dunno what's the problem.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

[QUOTE="Awinagainov"]PS: hopefully Resistance 2 will be the shooter that killzone 2 wants to be. my money is on resistance2Zeliard9

You're underwhelmed from a 1.5 year old FPS? You played it recently right? Putting it in the wrong context will indeed make it sound bad like that.

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

I'll say it again, they better show the multiplayer this E3.

Metsvideogame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Metsvideogame

ReverseCycology

YAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA yeah right my friend.... Thats so true ....

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5f956b96dc672
[QUOTE="Awinagainov"][QUOTE="Happy_Schman"][QUOTE="Awinagainov"]

Linky to video

thrones

Half Life 2 did, you know. Best shooter ever, of all time, in history?

half life 2 is practically a different genre than killzone2 and cod4.

half life 2 (best game ever, or at least the last 10 years) is more of an adventure game than a shooter. yes theres heavy shooting, but lots of physics puzzles, which were new. so i dont think the shooting of barrels of flipping of switches in HL2 compares to using barrels to defeat an opposing army in killzone

Kahuna_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Kahuna_1
Member since 2006 • 7948 Posts
They have not really shown much. They keep showing the same part of the same level over and over again. I will give the game a shot like I did with part 1, but I will not hype it.
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thrones

ReverseCycology

Probably, if it's coming Feb '09.

^_^

Metsvideogame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Metsvideogame

game is hyped AA officially by me

bungie93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bungie93
Member since 2008 • 2445 Posts

[QUOTE="bungie93"]The textures are crap, the lighting, though flashy, is very unrealistic, and color palette is boring. The gameplay sucks even more.caseypayne69

LMAO. You Cows are so funny :D

Jrfanfreak88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Jrfanfreak88
[QUOTE="Jrfanfreak88"]

Awinagainov

i never said anything about gears2 either.

however, if a game company is trying to show off a game that has a LOT to prove, why show parts that dont showcase inspired level design? and shooting specified things to have themblow up, which i believe a developer from Guerilla called "Happy Accidents" (which are pre determined) (i know this was said, i cant find the video) does not showcase agood shooter.

and i know i havent, and none of us here have, played any of killzone2. so, yes, i am criticizing a game that isnt out yet. but to all of those here who give the game such vaulted praise, let me remind you that you havent played the game yet either. and undeserving praise is just as bad as undeserving criticism

Ok, you said that shooting at "clearly marked targets" is a bad thing. Well what happens with games like COD4 or Half Life 2? Both of those games have you constantly shooting at certain things (sometimes these are referred to as objectives). On top of that, holding stuff back, such as level design, is sometimes an excellent idea. I mean I was incredibly surprised with MGS4 that I wasn't playing the entire game in the middle east ya know? In my opinion they shouldn't show off too much because then there's no big surprises when you play the game. On top of that, I dunno if you have played half life 2 but there's probably more "happy accidents" in that FPS than any other I have ever played in my life. There's more barrels in the game than barrels of oil in the middle east.

Lastly, there's nothing wrong with you critiscizing a game, and nothing wrong with people hyping a game. I just disagreed, don't take it personally, it's only my opinion. After all, this is system wars :P

t3hTwinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 t3hTwinky
Member since 2005 • 3701 Posts

Infinity Ward called, they want their game back.

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#39 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
Looking fantastic, and the gameplay actually looks good.
thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thrones

t3hTwinky

Infinity Ward isn't the first to do a tight, scripted game you know.

Monolith are the masters at this, gameplay wise. ^_^

gtawoof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gtawoof
Member since 2003 • 1843 Posts

t3hTwinky

If it's like Call of Duty 4, with those graphics, and a longer campaign, i wont complain what so ever.

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeliard9"]

[QUOTE="Awinagainov"]PS: hopefully Resistance 2 will be the shooter that killzone 2 wants to be. my money is on resistance2Mordred19

You're underwhelmed from a 1.5 year old FPS? You played it recently right? Putting it in the wrong context will indeed make it sound bad like that.

I assure you that I would've been equally underwhelmed if I had played it when it first came out. Resistance doesn't do anything that many other shooters don't do except 40-player MP as far as consoles. The gunplay is incredibly average, the level design is paltry, the engine is technically inferior even for a launch title, and the aesthetic is just hideous. Gears of War holds up significantly better 1.5 years later. I'm playing Motorstorm right now and it's excellent fun, over a year after its release.

thrones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 thrones
[QUOTE="Mordred19"][QUOTE="Zeliard9"]

I assure you that I would've been equally underwhelmed if I had played it when it first came out. Resistance doesn't do anything that many other shooters don't do except 40-player MP as far as consoles. The gunplay is incredibly average, the level design is paltry, the engine is technically inferior even for a launch title, and the aesthetic is just hideous. Gears of War holds up significantly better 1.5 years later. I'm playing Motorstorm right now and it's excellent fun, over a year after its release.

Motorstorm, totally underrated.

^_^

ps3wizard45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 ps3wizard45
Member since 2007 • 12907 Posts
The textures are crap, the lighting, though flashy, is very unrealistic, and color palette is boring. The gameplay sucks even more.bungie93
someones jealous :roll:
blackeneddeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 blackeneddeath
Member since 2008 • 930 Posts
[QUOTE="caseypayne69"]

[QUOTE="bungie93"]The textures are crap, the lighting, though flashy, is very unrealistic, and color palette is boring. The gameplay sucks even more.bungie93

LMAO. You Cows are so funny :D

you are on a row today arent you? Seriously, are you nervous about something? Every thread that has something graphics related you bash the hell out of ps3 and go on ranting on others saying they dont know what they are talking about and you dont put anything to back up what you are saying. You were on a thread yesterday ranting that UE3 was better than Square enix's white engine and thats why no one uses it when the white engine/crystal tools is exclusively used by square enix.

AtrumRegina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AtrumRegina
Member since 2008 • 1584 Posts

Graphics are amazing ...gameplay will most likely flop.

Then again Far Cry 2 has better graphics and GAMEPLAY. Actually the gameplay in Far Cry 2 is amazing and should probably get shooter GOTY.

Blinblingthing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Blinblingthing
Member since 2005 • 6943 Posts

That looked so badass, thanks for sharing :DW1NGMAN-

What I love with that game is There are so things happening, Four lines of smoke, somethings blowing up or shooting etc etc

Yet the game moves so fast.

Impressive work there

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts
[QUOTE="Zeliard9"][QUOTE="Mordred19"][QUOTE="Zeliard9"]

[QUOTE="Awinagainov"]PS: hopefully Resistance 2 will be the shooter that killzone 2 wants to be. my money is on resistance2thrones

Motorstorm, totally underrated.

^_^

Too true.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

Jrfanfreak88

Nobody has played the game yet. What a useless point. He's obviously basing his comments off the video. :?