Poll: Willing to share your console's low power/rest mode compute for PSN/XBL Credit?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Poll: Willing to share your console's low power/rest mode compute for PSN/XBL Credit? (12 votes)

Definitely. 42%
Probably. 17%
Maybe. 33%
Unlikely. 0%
Nope. 8%

Would any of you be willing to share your console's low power/rest mode "compute", something like 30-40 watts for some PSN/XBL Credit. Maybe even lock 10% of your storage to help Sony/MS.

Say something like $ 10 to15 PSN/XBL Credit for every 30 days of low power/rest mode compute and maybe 10% of your storage.

On top of that you also get free 1 Year PS Plus/1 Year XBL Gold for every 180 days.

It's counted by the hour so you don't have to do a straight 30 days of low power/rest mode "compute" sharing. You can do one hour a day if you like but that means it would take much longer to get that $ 10 or 15 Credit.

Maybe Sony/MS can use it for some mega Cloud compute that may help PSN/XBL in its speed/stability or create games that are able to be supplemented by the congregate compute. I wouldn't be surprised if they used some of that for other purpose like mining or medical.

The credits from sharing this low power/rest mode "compute" is just a rough figure but would probably be implemented in a way that the cost for Sony/MS would be less than maintaining traditional servers (if that's possible at all).

Initially Sony/MS would probably still have to provided some dynamic servers to maintain a certain minimum compute to compensate of people dropping in and out.

It would be interesting if Sony/MS doesn't lock down the credit/yearly sub and could be gifted but they'd have to take measures so that it can't be used for scamming/heavy abuse.

• 
Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#1 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

No clue what you're shilling, but i'm not giving up updates in rest mode.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69479 Posts

I don't see why not since I was going to consume the same amount of power anyway.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Help sony/ms to do what?

And you are already sharing the rest mode with data sent to MS/Sony,

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

@Ant_17 said:

No clue what you're shilling, but i'm not giving up updates in rest mode.

It shouldn't or at least Sony/MS should design it, whether a new consoles or current ones, that it doesn't really interfere with most traditional functions like updates during low power modes.

@Jacanuk said:

Help sony/ms to do what?

Does current rest/low power modes send compute power, say worth about 10-20% GPU and CPU usage or is that more like usage statistics which I'm only guessing as worth a few notepads? Is it even possible to tell? I'm guessing only a network guru would be able to confirm; those that can sniff what kind of data are passing through their routers/modems.

Not rhetorical questions btw.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

I have no idea WTF you are talking about LOL

Is this like folding@home except we get paid for it this time?

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 j2zon2591

@stuff238 said:

I have no idea WTF you are talking about LOL

Is this like folding@home except we get paid for it this time?

Yes, kinda. Yes, we will be paid.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

if my console is going to data mine I'd rather just get paid in BitCoin

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@j2zon2591 said:

It shouldn't or at least Sony/MS should design it, whether a new consoles or current ones, that it doesn't really interfere with most traditional functions like updates during low power modes.

@Jacanuk said:

Help sony/ms to do what?

Does current rest/low power modes send compute power, say worth about 10-20% GPU and CPU usage or is that more like usage statistics which I'm only guessing as worth a few notepads? Is it even possible to tell? I'm guessing only a network guru would be able to confirm; those that can sniff what kind of data are passing through their routers/modems.

Most data sent during rest mode to Sony and MS is probably data on usage etc... But if you have a router, look up your log and you can see the traffic sent to especially MS during rest mode, it´s pretty crazy.

At least it´s not as bad as Alexa ´s, Amazon and Google are getting a shit ton of info from the conversations in your home.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

Make the online free and we probably have a deal.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By j2zon2591

@Jacanuk said:
@j2zon2591 said:

@Jacanuk said:

Help sony/ms to do what?

Most data sent during rest mode to Sony and MS is probably data on usage etc... But if you have a router, look up your log and you can see the traffic sent to especially MS during rest mode, it´s pretty crazy.

At least it´s not as bad as Alexa ´s, Amazon and Google are getting a shit ton of info from the conversations in your home.

Thanks. That's not really what I'm talking about. More on raw compute power than sharing statistics. I think the guy above is closer like that Folding@Home thing from before but that compute is going to just be 30-40 watts. I'm guessing usage statistics would cost below 1 watt.

Wishful thinking but I wish we get paid with actual money/credit with our personal data and not just say "You are getting paid in a way, through our improved services that you will still pay on top off..".

MS as in Windows or XB?

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 j2zon2591

@Shewgenja said:

Make the online free and we probably have a deal.

Well, every 180 days gives could give you $ 60 Credit and 1 Year Sub that's worth another $ 50-60. It's probably better in a way. Total of $ 110-120 every 6 months with payout every 1 month. You get your "free" online through that 1 year sub but it's not technically free I guess.