Poll: Will Kojima Ever Surpass Miyamoto?

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Boogie_J
Member since 2007 • 1469 Posts

personally, I prefer kojima's work. from games like snatcher, to ZOE, to of course his opus MGS...his games hit you at a different level. miyamoto had his time. he's gamings greatest pioneering developer, but IMO he hasnt been able to adapt to these newer generations. He hasnt produced a classic since 1998 if i'm not mistaken (was he hands on with mario galaxy?) while kojima has been making classics since the original MGS

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Probably not...but then again will the Who ever pass The Rolling Stones, or will Pearl Jam surpass Nirvana.

Do they need too?

I say , ENJOY BOTH.

BTW : It helps the Miyamoto works for a first Party Console Developer, imo.

wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
He has been around for a long time and has not come up with half the great franchises, everything he has done has been great but all that does not even compare to Zelda let alone Mario and the rest of the group.
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts
lol wat?? Oh and why did you put "Die" in the poll? :lol: I chose it by mistake :(
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
Not really, but I hate some of Miyamoto's reasoning for games recently, i.e allowing the butchering of Donkey Kong (not that he has much opinion on it, but if he did want to make a good DK game, I don't think anyone would stop him) and the concept of removing all story from SMG2, it was a small but cool part of SMG, why remove it.. why does he hate stories..?
whatisazerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 whatisazerg
Member since 2009 • 2371 Posts

Not unless Kojima can build a time machine, go back in time.... and make the MGS series worth playing, for example, take out all the stupid crap &change character names to something that doesn't make it seem like a poorly made Saturday morning cartoon.

Or just go back and make Mario b4 Miyamoto can... even then though... he'd probably even mess that up. Kojima = overated.

LegendofNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LegendofNerd
Member since 2007 • 2140 Posts

Probably not. But to be fair, I don't think anyone will be able to surpass Miyamoto and all the contributions he's made to the industry.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
Not really, but I hate some of Miyamoto's reasoning for games recently, i.e allowing the butchering of Donkey Kong (not that he has much opinion on it, but if he did want to make a good DK game, I don't think anyone would stop him) and the concept of removing all story from SMG2, it was a small but cool part of SMG, why remove it.. why does he hate stories..?110million
he doesn't hate stories, he just thinks its better left for games like zelda. who would want a story in a game like mario?
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#10 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34724 Posts

Not until he creates the most popular videogame character in the world that peolpe have loved playing as for 29 years, and created at least 3 extremely popular and amazing series, and after that, still poop out original and awesome ideas.

If anyone is to surpass Miyamoto, it will most definitely not be Kojima. Does Miyamoto have children? :P

LiquidShnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LiquidShnake
Member since 2009 • 295 Posts
Miyamoto is past it with all this casual crap he supports. I hold Kojima in much higher regard.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 110million
[QUOTE="110million"]Not really, but I hate some of Miyamoto's reasoning for games recently, i.e allowing the butchering of Donkey Kong (not that he has much opinion on it, but if he did want to make a good DK game, I don't think anyone would stop him) and the concept of removing all story from SMG2, it was a small but cool part of SMG, why remove it.. why does he hate stories..?Silenthps
he doesn't hate stories, he just thinks its better left for games like zelda. who would want a story in a game like mario?

Because its not intrusive, it was optional, and it explained the game in a few quick bursts, it didn't break up the gameplay, and it was told in a neat way, not like Zelda stories are good anyway, I can probably tell you whats going to happen in the next one.
Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
you must not have played majoras mask then.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Litchie

[QUOTE="Silenthps"][QUOTE="110million"]Not really, but I hate some of Miyamoto's reasoning for games recently, i.e allowing the butchering of Donkey Kong (not that he has much opinion on it, but if he did want to make a good DK game, I don't think anyone would stop him) and the concept of removing all story from SMG2, it was a small but cool part of SMG, why remove it.. why does he hate stories..?110million

Because its not intrusive, it was optional, and it explained the game in a few quick bursts, it didn't break up the gameplay, and it was told in a neat way, not like Zelda stories are good anyway, I can probably tell you whats going to happen in the next one.

Speak for yourself. The story in OoT is probably one of my favourites. I also loved the story in Wind Waker. Tell me, what's going to happen in the next one?

I think it's very possible the next Zelda will be something different. Zelda will be in it of course, and you might have to save her and the kingdom from something, but that doesn't mean that's all there is to it. You can't really go "I have to say Zelda and Hyrule AGAIN?! Boring!" Maybe for a Mario game, but there's a lot of other stuff going on in Zelda.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Probably not...but then again will the Who ever pass The Rolling Stones, or will Pearl Jam surpass Nirvana.

Do they need too?

I say , ENJOY BOTH.

SolidTy

Nirvana = dead. Pearl jam = still selling out stadiums. I think we know who won that one.

OniStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 OniStrat
Member since 2003 • 1800 Posts

Kojima isn't even on the same level a Miyamoto. I like Kojima's games, but they're nowehere near the likes of Mario and Zelda. If you consider Kojima a 'genius' you should say the same thing about Michael Bay, which would be stupid.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Litchie

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Do they need too?

I say , ENJOY BOTH.

Bread_or_Decide

Nirvana = dead. Pearl jam = still selling out stadiums. I think we know who won that one.

I'd say the one with the most fans / the one who had the most influence on other bands is the winner. And I don't know who that is, but it's possible it's Nirvana.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
I know I'll get mobbed, but i'm not a giant fan of either ....
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Kojima isn't even on the same level a Miyamoto. I like Kojima's games, but they're nowehere near the likes of Mario and Zelda. If you consider Kojima a 'genius' you should say the same thing about Michael Bay, which would be stupid.

OniStrat
I find the use of the word "genius" even in the same sentence as Michael Bleh deeply offensive ... :P
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Do they need too?

I say , ENJOY BOTH.

Bread_or_Decide

We will see in 100 years...

I'm glad I like both. :)

110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 110million

[QUOTE="110million"][QUOTE="Silenthps"] he doesn't hate stories, he just thinks its better left for games like zelda. who would want a story in a game like mario? Litchie

Speak for yourself. The story in OoT is probably one of my favourites. I also loved the story in Wind Waker. Tell me, what's going to happen in the next one?

I think it's very possible the next Zelda will be something different. Zelda will be in it of course, and you might have to save her and the kingdom from something, but that doesn't mean that's all there is to it. You can't really go "I have to say Zelda and Hyrule AGAIN?! Boring!" Maybe for a Mario game, but there's a lot of other stuff going on in Zelda.

Zelda stories get the job done for the games, I'm not particularly hating on them, but I don't get why Zelda should be the only one to be allowed even a glimpse of story, I'm angry they removed any and all story for SMG2, because the SMG one was simple and optional, but added to the game, I've heard that Miyamoto goes out of his way to make sure most of his games have as little story as possible, and there was one instance when an employee tried to add some but he removed it, I don't remember for what title, either way, it leads me to believe he hates having stories in games.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#22 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I think he's a talented games designer but Miyamoto has done more than just create amazing games. He has found news ways to make games fun.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#23 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41569 Posts

Although I find Miyamoto's work a little overrated this gen, I can still say with how much he did in the past still is good enough to say Kojima has not surpassed him. He might surpass Miyamoto, but who knows.

Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Boogie_J

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Do they need too?

I say , ENJOY BOTH.

Bread_or_Decide

when people look back on the 90's in 100 years nirvana will be the first band mentioned, while pearl jam will just be a footnote

nirvana definitely won that one

Superzone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#25 Superzone
Member since 2004 • 3733 Posts
Kojima has some impressive games under his belt, but nobody can create a gaming experience quite like Mr. Miyamoto can.
Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Boogie_J

kojima's still young. he still has time to make something truly revolutionary and trancendant

anshul89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 anshul89
Member since 2006 • 5705 Posts

Both are overrated.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50634 Posts

Well, MGS is my second favorite series.

So.....there!

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Brownesque
Member since 2005 • 5660 Posts
Miyamoto is more or less a God. He's responsible for 3 of the biggest and best franchises in the entire galaxy. Granted, Kojima has made classics for over twenty years with the Metal Gear franchise and ZoE is no baloney. But his impact on the industry was substantially less and his games aren't as fervently loved. Honestly, I've played every single canonical game in the Metal Gear series and beaten them....over the last year and a half alone. But even I don't think that the impact of Kojima can be felt as profoundly as Miyamoto, who didn't just craft a niche in the videogame industry or get a few respectable reviews, practically everything he touches is a nugget of gold and he's been part and parcel of this industry since the beginning.
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Brownesque

Do they need too?

I say , ENJOY BOTH.

SolidTy

Frankly, dude, I think The Who is unquestionably better than the Rolling Stones and that Nirvana is lightbeers ahead of Pearl Jam.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Do they need too?

I say , ENJOY BOTH.

Boogie_J

when people look back on the 90's in 100 years nirvana will be the first band mentioned, while pearl jam will just be a footnote

nirvana definitely won that one

Only because of Kurt's death, I love Nirvana but they're a 3 accord rock band lol, PJ is the better band musically, even though I don't really like them all the much anymore, in the 90's they owned hard :P

DeadEndPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DeadEndPanda
Member since 2008 • 2358 Posts

omg LOL@ poll

all those 12 year olds chose second option xD

kojima hasent made gameing what it is today, he has simply made 1 great frenchise (zone of the enders) and 1 ok one (MGS)

miyamoto has made the platformer, he nailed 3d gaming, he made zelda (speakes for itself)

made donkey kong, metroid, star fox, and many more.

of course, 12 year olds werent around at this time, so they dont know

shadow_hosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 shadow_hosi
Member since 2006 • 9543 Posts
never Mario > snake link > snake Samus > snake just look at the greatest hero thing going on and its all facts there clearly gordon > snake he killed snake off himself
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#34 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Kojima wouldn't even be making video games if it wasn't for Miyamoto, and he would admit that Miyamoto is always above him.
GabeNewellsPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GabeNewellsPie
Member since 2008 • 1147 Posts

They can't be compared.

Miyamoto is a master of his craft who has created some of the finest games ever made.

Kojima,on the other hand,is a frustrated movie producer and full of his own sense of self-importance,who has given us some of the most pretentious and over-blown "games" ever made.

Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Brownesque
[QUOTE="shadow_hosi"]never Mario > snake link > snake Samus > snake just look at the greatest hero thing going on and its all facts there clearly gordon > snake he killed snake off himself

Let's see, Snake has a personality and his story stretches back (as far as what you get to play) to 1964. Metal Gear invented the stealth genre from ground zero, and the series to date has made some of the finest action and stealth games of all time. You should also consider the fact that the series has some of the best boss fights of all time. I'm sorry, I was never really a big Metal Gear Solid fan, but now that I've played every game in the series, Solid Snake is easily my favorite character in all videogames, perhaps all media. Compare that to Gordon Freeman, who is a faceless protagonist who interacted with some pretty generic NPCs in 2 videogames over the last decade or Mario who has never said anything more complicated or nuanced than "HERE WE GO!" Samus is not even worth mentioning. The best part of Metroid was the fascinating gameplay, it had nothing at all to do with the cookiecutter protagonist.
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Brownesque

omg LOL@ poll

kojima hasent made gameing what it is today, he has simply made 1 great frenchise (zone of the enders) and 1 ok one (MGS)

miyamoto has made the platformer, he nailed 3d gaming, he made zelda (speakes for itself)

DeadEndPanda
Metal Gear 1 was released in 1987. Super Mario Bros was only released 2 years prior. Kojima is as much a part of this industry as anyone else. I would go as far as to say that on the ladder of gaming gods, Kojima takes second place comfortably behind Miyamoto. It's ridiculous that people would try and shame him. It probably has something to do with the fact that those people only own Nintendo consoles and thus are jealous that they haven't gotten to play the entire series.
stvee101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 stvee101
Member since 2006 • 2953 Posts

omg LOL@ poll

DeadEndPanda

Attacking the supposed "12 year old fans" of the MGS series while acting like a 12 year old yourself.

The irony is obviously lost on you. :|

DeadEndPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DeadEndPanda

[QUOTE="shadow_hosi"]never Mario > snake link > snake Samus > snake just look at the greatest hero thing going on and its all facts there clearly gordon > snake he killed snake off himselfBrownesque
Let's see, Snake has a personality and his story stretches back (as far as what you get to play) to 1964. Metal Gear invented the stealth genre from ground zero, and the series to date has made some of the finest action and stealth games of all time. You should also consider the fact that the series has some of the best boss fights of all time. I'm sorry, I was never really a big Metal Gear Solid fan, but now that I've played every game in the series, Solid Snake is easily my favorite character in all videogames, perhaps all media. Compare that to Gordon Freeman, who is a faceless protagonist who interacted with some pretty generic NPCs in 2 videogames over the last decade or Mario who has never said anything more complicated or nuanced than "HERE WE GO!" Samus is not even worth mentioning. The best part of Metroid was the fascinating gameplay, it had nothing at all to do with the cookiecutter protagonist.

mario made platforming

zelda made advanture games

and samus has more personality then snake imo, even if she dosnt talk, her story, atmosphere of the game

and the fact that she dosnt need to talk but she still feels alive

Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
I can't really say but as of now he can't. I love MGS games, huge fan but honestly he needs to start putting his talent into other games. Create a new series, bring another one of his creations back, anything. I think it's a shame he isn't putting more stuff out there.
Brownesque

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Brownesque

[QUOTE="Brownesque"][QUOTE="shadow_hosi"]never Mario > snake link > snake Samus > snake just look at the greatest hero thing going on and its all facts there clearly gordon > snake he killed snake off himselfDeadEndPanda

mario made platforming

and samus has more personality then snake imo, even if she dosnt talk, her story, atmosphere of the game

I'm sorry, Metroid has a story? What's the story? Go explore desolate planet, find powerups, kill space aliens?

BTW, if you want to learn more on who actually invented the adventure genre, go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_game#Adventure_.281975-1977.29

BTW, King's Quest (adventure par excellence) was released before Zelda.

DeadEndPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DeadEndPanda

[QUOTE="DeadEndPanda"]

omg LOL@ poll

stvee101

Attacking the supposed "12 year old fans" of the MGS series while acting like a 12 year old yourself.

i think your missing the point,

this isnt about who you like more. its about who did more for gaming,

suda51 is my favorit game disigner, but that dosent mean i think he surpasses miyamoto

he didnt do as much revolutionary as miyamoto did, and kojima simply cant match up.

and i didnt call kojima fans 12 year olds, i called the people who chose opinion nr .2 that, cuz they clearly werent old enough to know about miyamotos great work.

i didnt know so many people didnt read the thread title :P

DeadEndPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DeadEndPanda

[QUOTE="DeadEndPanda"]

[QUOTE="Brownesque"] Let's see, Snake has a personality and his story stretches back (as far as what you get to play) to 1964. Metal Gear invented the stealth genre from ground zero, and the series to date has made some of the finest action and stealth games of all time. You should also consider the fact that the series has some of the best boss fights of all time. I'm sorry, I was never really a big Metal Gear Solid fan, but now that I've played every game in the series, Solid Snake is easily my favorite character in all videogames, perhaps all media. Compare that to Gordon Freeman, who is a faceless protagonist who interacted with some pretty generic NPCs in 2 videogames over the last decade or Mario who has never said anything more complicated or nuanced than "HERE WE GO!" Samus is not even worth mentioning. The best part of Metroid was the fascinating gameplay, it had nothing at all to do with the cookiecutter protagonist.Brownesque

mario made platforming

I'm sorry, Metroid has a story? What's the story? Go explore desolate planet, find powerups, kill space aliens?

i dont know much about MGS's story so il simply say

"im sorry , mgs has a story? whats the story? go explore industrial areas, find mines ,kill random people

Avatar image for PPresentFortune
PPresentFortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PPresentFortune
Member since 2007 • 981 Posts

My short answer is 'never', it's just not possible to beat Miyamoto anymore, the video games industry is similar to the music industry, no one is ever going to match 'The Beatles','Michael Jackson's' or Elvis Presley's' sales ever again or quality of music for that matter due to the way thing shave changed in the music industry, it's the same with the video games industry.

DeadEndPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DeadEndPanda

[QUOTE="DeadEndPanda"]

[QUOTE="Brownesque"] Let's see, Snake has a personality and his story stretches back (as far as what you get to play) to 1964. Metal Gear invented the stealth genre from ground zero, and the series to date has made some of the finest action and stealth games of all time. You should also consider the fact that the series has some of the best boss fights of all time. I'm sorry, I was never really a big Metal Gear Solid fan, but now that I've played every game in the series, Solid Snake is easily my favorite character in all videogames, perhaps all media. Compare that to Gordon Freeman, who is a faceless protagonist who interacted with some pretty generic NPCs in 2 videogames over the last decade or Mario who has never said anything more complicated or nuanced than "HERE WE GO!" Samus is not even worth mentioning. The best part of Metroid was the fascinating gameplay, it had nothing at all to do with the cookiecutter protagonist.Brownesque

mario made platforming

BTW, if you want to learn more on who actually invented the adventure genre, go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_game#Adventure_.281975-1977.29

BTW, King's Quest (adventure par excellence) was released before Zelda.

text based advanture game .___.

and just so you know. i did own a ps1 and a ps2 :P

and i loved zone of the enders (kojimas made this, in case you didnt know)

stvee101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 stvee101
Member since 2006 • 2953 Posts

[QUOTE="stvee101"]

[QUOTE="DeadEndPanda"]

omg LOL@ poll

DeadEndPanda

suda51 is my favorit game disigner, but that dosent mean i think he surpasses miyamoto

he didnt do as much revolutionary as miyamoto did, and kojima simply cant match up.

and i didnt call kojima fans 12 year olds, i called the people who chose opinion nr .2 that, cuz they clearly werent old enough to know about miyamotos great work.

Eh no I'm not missing the point.

I was responding directly to your immature and condescending post.

People are still allowed opinions.

Even though I have a preference for Kojima's work(as do many people if this poll is any eveidence),I agree though that Myamoto has probably done more for gaming and definitely has created some legendary franchises,

The difference is I can appreciate a different point of view because I'm not some zealot who throws a hissy-fit when someone has the audacity to contradict my point of view.

DeadEndPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DeadEndPanda

[QUOTE="DeadEndPanda"]

[QUOTE="stvee101"]

stvee101

Eh no I'm not missing the point.

I was responding directly to your immature and condescending post.

People are still allowed opinions.

Even though I have a preference for Kojima's work(as do many people if this poll is any eveidence),I agree though that Myamoto has probably done more for gaming and definitely has created some legendary franchises,

The difference is I can appreciate a different point of view because I'm not some zealot who throws a hissy-fit when someone has the audacity to contradict my point of view.

well im prtty suprised, by now you should be used to it.

this is SW afterall ;)

people are allowed opinions, as much as people are allowed to have opinions over other peoples opinions

Lethalhazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 Lethalhazard
Member since 2009 • 5451 Posts
Maybe. I want to see how much his work influences the next 3D castlevania. If that turns out good, he'll be one or two classics from Miyamoto.
gamefan67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 gamefan67
Member since 2004 • 10034 Posts
IMO Kojima has not created enough great franchises or games to even hold a candle to Miyamoto. MGS 1 and 4 are his only truly great games IMO, but then again I have not played ZoE. He needs to branch out more and create more franchises. If he keeps on making MGS games I'm going to start thinking that he is a one trick pony.
Boogie_J

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Boogie_J

[QUOTE="Brownesque"][QUOTE="shadow_hosi"]never Mario > snake link > snake Samus > snake just look at the greatest hero thing going on and its all facts there clearly gordon > snake he killed snake off himselfDeadEndPanda

mario made platforming

Lies and slander