Poll: Think PS5/XB2 could also have handheld versions?

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By j2zon2591

Poll Poll: Think PS5/XB2 could also have handheld versions? (69 votes)

Definitely. 7%
Probably. 4%
Maybe. 6%
Unlikely. 30%
Nope. 52%

SW, do you guys think that the next gen consoles of Sony and MS could also have handheld versions?

Nintendo has been doing "scaling" for a while now with the DS/DSi/3DS/New 3DS. Sony seem to also have dabbled a bit with the PSP 1000 to 2000. Then now the Big 3 seem to all be doing scaling (Pro/Scorpio).

Seems like the Switch handheld could take off well and there's also the GPD Win and Smach Zero handhelds which could be some emergent stuff.

"Media sharing" like Sony's Cross Play and VITA and VITA TV sharing game carts. MS also has the Play-Anywhere. Perhaps they could build and expand upon that for their next gen's family of consoles. Something like "Handheld, Vanilla, Pro" in no particular order in terms of release date.

I know it's still a long way ahead but what do you guys think?

• 
oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#1 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

No but the new Surface Pro 5 coming out probably is using Ryzen and will be able to run Play Anywhere games.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

No, Switch would have to be a phenomenon to push the others to move in that direction. I dont see that happening and I dont think its what the user base on ps4 and xbone necessarily want.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#3 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

No

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

What I really want to know is if it might be feasible for Sony's and Microsoft's next consoles to use carts instead of discs.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I think handhelds are pretty useless for most people.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

I hope not.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#7 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69470 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

What I really want to know is if it might be feasible for Sony's and Microsoft's next consoles to use carts instead of discs.

Nope, they may simple take the all digital route like tablet devices.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@pyro1245 said:

I think handhelds are pretty useless for most people.

I'm convinced most people play their handhelds at home. I mostly do. But still, you're not tethered to the TV so that's really the whole point.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1001 Posts

You won't be able to carry around a 12 TFLOP console without burning a hole in your pocket.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

@nfamouslegend said:

You won't be able to carry around a 12 TFLOP console without burning a hole in your pocket.

I was thinking more on just different GPUs.

For the Sony handheld, maybe Same CPU power as the PS5 but maybe 2/3 of the OG PS4's FLOPS but with the GPU architecture of the PS5 family (handheld/Vanilla/Pro).

The handheld would probably target 900/1080p but dynamic res happens more frequently.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Count me out if they are.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

No, just because it's a good decision for Nintendo doesn't mean it is a good decision for Sony and Microsoft.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14801 Posts

No thank you.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

Do the demographics for Microsoft and Sony play handheld systems?

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#15  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17808 Posts

I certainly hope not. We need system power to keep increasing so that we can have more advanced games. Relying on mobile tech like the Switch only holds back advancement.

Guy_Brohski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 Guy_Brohski
Member since 2013 • 2221 Posts

God I hope not. Console graphics are watered down enough as is. I blame Nintendo for lowering gamer's expectations for graphics over the last few gens. I doubt they will ever re-enter the dedicated home console market after they discontinued the Wii U after 5 years of production.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony does since they always look up to the other Japanese gaming company which leads, Nintendo. And I don't think Microsoft will since I think they will focus on PC/console support more but maybe they'll support mobile gaming as in phones more better too.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Sony moreso than Microsoft. But I think both of them would prefer to find a way to allow for Windows, Android, and iOS devices to play nice with their existing ecosystems and distribution fronts.

That said, I could see Sony getting crazy enough to try handhelds again, but only as a compliment to their existing devices, i.e. the platform would only play games that could be played on PS4/PS5 and so on and have no exclusive titles.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@j2zon2591 said:
@nfamouslegend said:

For the Sony handheld, maybe Same CPU power as the PS5 but maybe 2/3 of the OG PS4's FLOPS but with the GPU architecture of the PS5 family (handheld/Vanilla/Pro).

The handheld would probably target 900/1080p but dynamic res happens more frequently.

Loading Video...

Toshiba Satellite E45DW-C4210 14" HD with AMD FX-8800P ultrabook/tablet hybrid.

Raven Ridge APU replaces FX-8800p APU.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 j2zon2591

@gago-gago said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony does since they always look up to the other Japanese gaming company which leads, Nintendo. And I don't think Microsoft will since I think they will focus on PC/console support more but maybe they'll support mobile gaming as in phones more better too.

I am so interested in a Microsoft "Shield/Switch". Maybe MS could do their first party "Surface Pro" but as a handheld and more emphasis on gaming, a few years from now.

@Basinboy said:

Sony moreso than Microsoft. But I think both of them would prefer to find a way to allow for Windows, Android, and iOS devices to play nice with their existing ecosystems and distribution fronts.

That said, I could see Sony getting crazy enough to try handhelds again, but only as a compliment to their existing devices, i.e. the platform would only play games that could be played on PS4/PS5 and so on and have no exclusive titles.

I agree and that's why I am thinking of maybe the "PS5" could be nifty as a family of platforms so developers only have to expand just 1 more platform than the current "PS4 OG/PRO" optimizations.

Sony might have to push more on some DRM.. something like buying physical would also net you the handheld version at no extra cost unless battery tech becomes so good that BDR on a handheld is a non issue.

@ronvalencia said:
@j2zon2591 said:
@nfamouslegend said:

Loading Video...

Time for some homework for me. I'll try to read more on these things. Thank you!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

Sony maybe, but I don't think so. For Microsoft this just isn't necessary since they have their Play Anywhere solution, so if I want to play on a plane, or train, I can just using a decent tablet running Windows 10.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ronvalencia

@j2zon2591 said:
@gago-gago said:

I am so interested in a Microsoft "Shield/Switch". Maybe MS could do their first party "Surface Pro" but as a handheld and more emphasis on gaming, a few years from now.

@Basinboy said:

I agree and that's why I am thinking of maybe the "PS5" could be nifty as a family of platforms so developers only have to expand just 1 more platform than the current "PS4 OG/PRO" optimizations.

Sony might have to push more on some DRM.. something like buying physical would also net you the handheld version at no extra cost unless battery tech becomes so good that BDR on a handheld is a non issue.

@ronvalencia said:
@j2zon2591 said:
@nfamouslegend said:

Loading Video...

Time for some homework for me. I'll try to read more on these things. Thank you!

"Carrizo" FP4 = FX-8800p APU.

Bristol Ridge APU is just a minor update to Carrizo APU.

AMD's March 2017 road map.

AMD has shifted it's priority towards mobile Raven Ridge (FP5 BGA) socket over the desktop Raven Ridge (AM4 uPGA) socket.

AMD Raven Ridge's integrated SOC FCH follows Intel Core i series tablet/ultra book SoC (System-On-Chip) designs.

FX-8800p's 8 CU GPU is being gimped by crap CPU, hence why I shown Vulkan gaming example.

AMD Raven Ridge APU has mobile Ryzen 4 core with 8 threads which should maximize it's small Vega based GPU with 11 to 12 NCU.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 j2zon2591

@FastRobby said:

Sony maybe, but I don't think so. For Microsoft this just isn't necessary since they have their Play Anywhere solution, so if I want to play on a plane, or train, I can just using a decent tablet running Windows 10.

Play anywhere seem amazing. For some reason it makes me think that they'd probably just stop making traditional xbox at some point and just do nice first party PC later on and focus on Windows Gaming.

@ronvalencia said:
@j2zon2591 said:
@nfamouslegend said:

Loading Video...

Ok so I read and watched a bit.

Vulkan seem amazing. Do consoles have better APIs?

So if I am understanding it correctly, the 8800P can do 3.4 Ghz at 35W and is PUMA+ which seems to be 2 architectural generations above the PS4's Jaguar cores?

PS4 only has 1.6 Ghz speed but 8 cores. 8800P does 3.4 Ghz but 4 cores.

Does that mean the 8800P surpasses the PS4's CPU more than double?

The DOOM video also seem to be at 1080p, low setting and seem to easily stay above 30 FPS during fights.

Hmmm.. Perhaps it's not hard to see a CPU 3 times better than the OG PS4 for a large handheld 4-5 years from now but IDK if Sony is willing to do sub 1080p for a handheld.

I guess it's too hard to tell depending on how powerful Sony is gonna make the Vanilla PS5.

I wonder if it's possible for the PS5 Vanilla to be the 4K machine, the handheld the 1080p machine and the PRO the faux 8K machine.

Is there a way to tell how much power the CPU draws vs the GPU in these APUs?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@j2zon2591 said:
@FastRobby said:

Play anywhere seem amazing. For some reason it makes me think that they'd probably just stop making traditional xbox at some point and just do nice first party PC later on and focus on Windows Gaming.

I don't see that happening, I just think they are merging the platforms. The Xbox brand can only become stronger if it runs on PC, and console which is a good thing for Microsoft.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 j2zon2591

@ronvalencia said:
@j2zon2591 said:
@gago-gago said:

@Basinboy said:

@ronvalencia said:
@j2zon2591 said:
@nfamouslegend said:

Loading Video...

"Carrizo" FP4 = FX-8800p APU.

Bristol Ridge APU is just a minor update to Carrizo APU.

AMD's March 2017 road map.

AMD has shifted it's priority towards mobile Raven Ridge (FP5 BGA) socket over the desktop Raven Ridge (AM4 uPGA) socket.

AMD Raven Ridge's integrated SOC FCH follows Intel Core i series tablet/ultra book SoC (System-On-Chip) designs.

FX-8800p's 8 CU GPU is being gimped by crap CPU, hence why I shown Vulkan gaming example.

AMD Raven Ridge APU has mobile Ryzen 4 core with 8 threads which should maximize it's small Vega based GPU with 11 to 12 NCU.

Thanks for the slides. I really appreciate the links to the slides. I was trying to look for these things last week but couldn't find any.

The BGA and and PGA terms are very new to me.

Is FP5 BGA for laptops? Sorry I'm kinda slow on these.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ronvalencia

@j2zon2591 said:

Ok so I read and watched a bit.

Vulkan seem amazing. Do consoles have better APIs?

So if I am understanding it correctly, the 8800P can do 3.4 Ghz at 35W and is PUMA+ which seems to be 2 architectural generations above the PS4's Jaguar cores?

PS4 only has 1.6 Ghz speed but 8 cores. 8800P does 3.4 Ghz but 4 cores.

Does that mean the 8800P surpasses the PS4's CPU more than double?

The DOOM video also seem to be at 1080p, low setting and seem to easily stay above 30 FPS during fights.

Hmmm.. Perhaps it's not hard to see a CPU 3 times better than the OG PS4 for a large handheld 4-5 years from now but IDK if Sony is willing to do sub 1080p for a handheld.

I guess it's too hard to tell depending on how powerful Sony is gonna make the Vanilla PS5.

I wonder if it's possible for the PS5 Vanilla to be the 4K machine, the handheld the 1080p machine and the PRO the faux 8K machine.

Is there a way to tell how much power the CPU draws vs the GPU in these APUs?

Low overhead API is needed for weak CPUs.

FX-8800P has mobile Excavator CPU instead of Puma+ CPU.

For Doom Vulkan...

Loading Video...

Doom Vulkan was the launch game for AMD's game console style "hit-the-metal" GPU access for Windows PCs.

Note that NVIDIA also has similar hit-the-metal GPU access for Windows PCs included with NVAPI/Gameworks.

Loading Video...

Xbox Play Anywhere is good for laptops with around XBO level GPU.

Raven Ridge APU is the first PC APU with XBO level GPU, hence fleet PCs can be potential customer for Xbox Play Anywhere games.

------------

https://liliputing.com/2017/02/report-intel-launch-kaby-lake-chip-amd-radeon-graphics.html

There are rumors for Intel Kabylake CPU with AMD GPU on a single chip package e.g. perhaps Apple's Polaris 12 with 10 CU leak.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 j2zon2591

@FastRobby said:
@j2zon2591 said:
@FastRobby said:

I don't see that happening, I just think they are merging the platforms. The Xbox brand can only become stronger if it runs on PC, and console which is a good thing for Microsoft.

I'm not sure what kind of exact merge you mention but probably?

I'm thinking that the next gen xbox is more or less a first party hardware for a small form factor PC from MS with up to date BRDrive. Runs Windows 10. All the next gen xbox exclusives available to Windows 10.

If the Scorpio does better than what MS internally expects then perhaps I can see the first batch of next gen Xbox "console" to be more inline with the traditional console sense.

I apologize if that's confusing.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ronvalencia

@j2zon2591 said:

Thanks for the slides. I really appreciate the links to the slides. I was trying to look for these things last week but couldn't find any.

The BGA and and PGA terms are very new to me.

Is FP5 BGA for laptops? Sorry I'm kinda slow on these.

For AMD, BGA is for mobile platforms.

BGA = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_grid_array

PGA = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pin_grid_array

Avatar image for deactivated-58e7bee46c6be
deactivated-58e7bee46c6be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-58e7bee46c6be
Member since 2017 • 44 Posts

You can already stream most game from PS4 to a Vita, so there's that. Better than having a console/handheld hybrid and force you to pay for hardware you might not even use.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 j2zon2591

@russianhacker37 said:

You can already stream most game from PS4 to a Vita, so there's that. Better than having a console/handheld hybrid and force you to pay for hardware you might not even use.

I guess Sony is expanding their services but IMO native games still have their place.

TBH it's just like having 3 specs of consoles as opposed to the current 2 or even think of 3 different PCs.

LOW = handheld PS5 = Laptop-esque

MID = Vanilla PS5 home console = more mid end PC

HIGH = PRO PS5 home console = higher end PC

We already have

MID and HIGH right now with the PS4 Gen.

Sony would really have to focus more on scaling and DRM.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

I would want one. Less powerful but portable version of the console that plays same games? I really would want one.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 j2zon2591

@funsohng said:

I would want one. Less powerful but portable version of the console that plays same games? I really would want one.

Me too.

I was hoping the Switch would have acceptable AAA downports but it may not happen.

Another dream would be much better PC handhelds later on after the GPD Win and Smach Z.

For Sony's PS5, it'd be amazing if we could buy one game, physical or digital and able to play on multiple form factors, natively. If not, then that's still okay with me. xD

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

No, I don't think so. But I can see Sony borrow some concepts like detachable controllers and easy TV connection for a future handheld, if they ever make one.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#34  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34605 Posts

I think consoles might as well all be handhelds. PC is so much better at what they do anyways. So I'd like a "hopefully" option in the poll..

The Switch is a fucking cool device.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44063 Posts

Won't go Deep into detail but just scratching the Surface, it would seem MS with Win10, buy once play anywhere is already there. :P

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#36 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

No.

csward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#37 csward
Member since 2005 • 2155 Posts

Sony maybe would if they don't make a replacement for the Vita. M$ has never made a handheld console in the past and with the cell phone market being so big, I don't think they'll enter handheld gaming in the next cycle.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

Nope, it works for Nintendo because of their graphics. The lack of attention to detail and expansive worlds in most of their games makes it easy to develop for underpowered hardware and handhelds. Good luck getting something like the Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Last of Us, Halo 5, Ghost Recon Wildlands, etc running on a handheld system

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Could they? Yes. Should they? No. Semantics.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Instead of wasting resources on stupid screens. Give me a console that can handle everything in 1080p/60fps/Hight-Ultra. After that's done, release a separate controller with a screen so people who care would be able to purchase it without being forced to have it bundled with the console.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#41  Edited By tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

I'd be down for a PlayStation 4 Pad and a Pad Pro

Technically a Sony Xperia Tablet with beefed up specs near PS4's and 8 gigs of ram to so there isn't any contrast with porting and playing PS4 games on the go without any sacrifices made to image quality and framerate. Make it android-based with PS4's UI infrastructure and also have its UI designed for multitouch.

But Sony would have to push this thing hard to give incentive to console video game audience and phablet/tablet users to use this over their iPads. With a PlayStation branding and smart advertising campaign this thing could really explode.

And if Sony decides to develop sophisticated, exclusive games to this (plus add on-the-go games like Monster Hunter, Pokemon Go from Google Play store, etc), I'd be down for that too.