Platinum Games interested in becoming second-party Nintendo developer...

• 106 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

... and also expresses Desire for Wonderful 101 Sequel

Platinum Games' Hideki Kamiya has revealed he's keen to make a sequel to The Wonderful 101, and also shared his thoughts on porting the original Bayonetta to Wii U and becoming a second-party Nintendo developer.

When IGN Benelux asked the creator of Bayonetta and The Wonderful 101 whether or not he'd like to see a sequel to his most recent game on Wii U (perhaps called The Wonderful 102?) he said, "If I get the chance, I would certainly like to make that game.

"I really have no idea at this point, but I would love to make a sequel to one of my own games. We put a tremendous amount of work into this game and it would be unfortunate if I would not get the chance to tell a new story with these characters.

"However, some of the bad guys you beat in this game wont appear in a sequel. Thats kind of a depressing thought."

Seeing as The Wonderful 101 has received fairly mixed reviews so far, a sequel is by no means guaranteed but it's encouraging to hear its creator would happily revisit the franchise. But if Platinum doesn't go on to make a sequel to the game, what else might it do?

Well, according to Kamiya, the studio hasn't ruled out the idea of porting the original Bayonetta to the Wii U. With Bayonetta 2 due out exclusively on Nintendo's console next year, Platinum argues it would make sense for the original game to be available too so that newcomers to the series can catch up.

"I would love to make that happen, so that gamers unfamiliar with the first game get to play it," he explained. "This is just my personal opinion, however. I have not much say over the matter.

"However, I think designers should always keep in mind that not everyone has played the previous title, even if this was released on the same platform. You have to make sure that even players who are unfamiliar with the franchise are able to keep up."

With all this talk of developing for Nintendo then, you'd be forgiven for thinking Platinum Games was pretty much ready to get into bed with The Big N permanently. Despite the success of multiplatform hitMetal Gear Rising: Revengeance earlier this year and mutterings of a Platinum-fronted sequel, Kamiya admitted he'd happily see the studio become a second-party Nintendo developer.

When asked if he'd like to see the company officially join forces with Nintendo, he replied, "I would love that. It would be great to work more closely with Nintendo."

What do you think? Would you like to see The Wonderful 102 or the original Bayonetta on Wii U, and do you reckon Platinum Games become a second-party developer for Nintendo would be a good or bad thing? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.

What do you guys think?

Do you want this to happen?

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Well if that happens that's just one more japanese developer I won't care about. Unless nintendo somehow focuses on games and not gimmicks.

FlamesOfGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FlamesOfGrey
Member since 2009 • 7511 Posts
Well even if their games continue to sell like **** on Nintendo platforms, Nintendo is footing the bill so I guess it doesn't matter that much as long as they get to make the games they want. We'll see if Nintendo will want to continue publishing their games if Bayonetta 2 flops in sales as well.
DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

Hmmmmm, Kamiya said he still wants to make a new Star Fox title... yes. YEs. YES!!!!!!

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Id give up completely on them if that happened.

PLatinum is a company that thrives on spectacle, they lack substance but they do flash very well. Would be a shame to see their strength crippled by crap nintendo hardware.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#6 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41577 Posts

Well if that happens that's just one more japanese developer I won't care about. Unless nintendo somehow focuses on games and not gimmicks.

GD1551

So you'll dislike Patinum if they go second party (which probably won't last long)? You must've really hated Rare then.

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Hmmmmm, Kamiya said he still wants to make a new Star Fox title... yes. YEs. YES!!!!!!

DrRockso87

Also he is interested in reimagining another Nintendo IP that was Japan Only.

"The Mysterious Murasame Castle" which could be made because Takamaru was in a lot of games recently.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Well even if their games continue to sell like **** on Nintendo platforms, Nintendo is footing the bill so I guess it doesn't matter that much as long as they get to make the games they want. We'll see if Nintendo will want to continue publishing their games if Bayonetta 2 flops in sales as well.FlamesOfGrey

Exactly.

Nintendo must have given them a sweet deal for Bayonett and Wonderful 101. Will Nintendo give them an equally sweet deal now, after those games are likely to not sell well at all?

Don't get me wrong, Platinum is a fine developer and I'm sure at least Bayonetta 2 will be good (not so sure about Wonderful 101). But the terms of these types of agreements are all about $$$. It would be illogical to lock into long term agreements immediately after complete failures in terms of sales figures. 

It would be cool to see Platinum take on a Nintendo franchise though. Imagine them doing a Starfox or Metroid game. If they signed a deal to revive Nintendo franchise that would be great, I'd hate to see Platinum completely lock their own IP's and ideas into Nintnedo platforms though... that would basically ensure their failure. 

ShadowriverUB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ShadowriverUB
Member since 2009 • 5515 Posts
Well they practically already 2nd party as Nintendo pays them to do Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 (but im not sure about this one)
TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts
More flops incoming, less gflops
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

While the Wonderful 101 crashes and burns in sales? Who the hell is running these comapnies? How idiotic can they be?

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Nintendo_Ownes7

Well they practically already 2nd party as Nintendo pays them to do Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 (but im not sure about this one)ShadowriverUB
I think Nintendo owns the Wonderful 101 IP. None of the games Platinum made so far actually belonged to them; SEGA owns all the other IPs outside of Metal Gear Rising which is Konami and Nintendo owns the Wonderful 101 IP.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts
That would be great. Hopefully Nintendo does it.
Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#14 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

I hope not

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

That's good. Very good.
I don't have insight in their treasury. I hope they're doing ok until the Wii U picks up as its library grows and the competition grows ever more obsolete.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PurpleMan5000

That's good. Very good.
I don't have insight in their treasury. I hope they're doing ok until the Wii U picks up as its library grows.

KungfuKitten
They have shown losses the past few quarters, but they haven't been huge losses, and with the 3DS picking up steam, I think they probably have enough cash in the vault from the Wii to make moves like this. Nintendo just is not going to get western 3rd party support, so they need to be spending that money on things like this to really bolster their library. The games might not sell well, but the people who do buy them love them. They need to make moves like this with excellent developers in other niche genres so that they end up with something for everyone. That will move Wii U's.
GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

nintendoboy16

So you'll dislike Patinum if they go second party (which probably won't last long)? You must've really hated Rare then.

No I really liked rare, that was the days when N was focused solely on games. If PG starts making games exclusively for Nintendo without nintendo's focus changing I won't care about them anymore because I don't support nintendo's current direction.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15594 Posts

wayne-s-world-oh-jesus-god-no-o.gif

Based on the sales they're currently getting, I'd say that will kill Platinum before the next generation.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PurpleMan5000

Based on the sales they're currently getting, I'd say that will kill Platinum before the next generation.

Vaasman
Nintendo is funding Platinum's games, though. Platinum is not taking losses. Nintendo is. It's really a pretty good deal for both sides because Nintendo really needs the games for its library to make their system more appealing, whether they sell or not.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

GD1551

No I really liked rare, that was the days when N was focused solely on games. If PG starts making games exclusively for Nintendo without nintendo's focus changing I won't care about them anymore because I don't support nintendo's current direction.

Considering they are getting criticisms for not using their gimmicks to their full potential, not even using them much, or even using them well at all, I say they are focusing on games more than you know.

Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#21 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

While the Wonderful 101 crashes and burns in sales? Who the hell is running these comapnies? How idiotic can they be?

Wasdie

Considering the Wii-U is looking like it's going to get the cold shoulder with third party support, I guess they figured they have to bite the bullet on this one.

One thing for sure, they need to start marketing their games better.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52451 Posts
So, Nintendo is going to keep pumping money in games that are not going to sell? I'm not against this. Just keep giving me proper Platinum Games. Whether it's on a WiiU, One, or Playstation 4.
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Wasdie

Well it is Platinum saying this, not Nintendo. So for all we know Nintedo took 100% of the risk and Platinum made out like bandits regardless of how the game sells.

I personally wouldn't mind this deal if it meant Platinum worked on a few Nintendo franchises. However it would be idiotic for them to create new IP's that go nowhere on Nintendo platforms. 

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#24 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

That would be sweet.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#25 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

[QUOTE="KungfuKitten"]

That's good. Very good.
I don't have insight in their treasury. I hope they're doing ok until the Wii U picks up as its library grows.

PurpleMan5000

They have shown losses the past few quarters, but they haven't been huge losses, and with the 3DS picking up steam, I think they probably have enough cash in the vault from the Wii to make moves like this. Nintendo just is not going to get western 3rd party support, so they need to be spending that money on things like this to really bolster their library. The games might not sell well, but the people who do buy them love them. They need to make moves like this with excellent developers in other niche genres so that they end up with something for everyone. That will move Wii U's.

But you don't want that situation where gets good but is completely ignored. The gamingsites are pushing hard for PS4/Xone sales and downplaying the Wii U and PC. Especially the amateurish ignorance of the bigger gaming sites towards PC gaming is rubbing off on the Nintendo platforms. It would be nice if the bigger gaming sites were put in their place by a thorough reality check from their audiences.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PurpleMan5000

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

2Chalupas

Well it is Platinum saying this, not Nintendo. So for all we know Nintedo took 100% of the risk and Platinum made out like bandits regardless of how the game sells.

I personally wouldn't mind this deal if it meant Platinum worked on a few Nintendo franchises. However it would be idiotic for them to create new IP's that go nowhere on Nintendo platforms. 

I would rather they just keep making new ips. I really don't care how they sell. I just want to play new ips.
Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

nintendoboy16

RARE wasn't Japanese

Jonwh18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jonwh18
Member since 2009 • 9350 Posts

Wasdie

Tom Mcshae. 

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

Wasdie

Think about it man. They'd be secured a paycheck regardless of sales of their games. Rather than be on their own

DrRockso87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 DrRockso87
Member since 2010 • 2647 Posts

[QUOTE="DrRockso87"]

Nintendo_Ownes7

Also he is interested in reimagining another Nintendo IP that was Japan Only.

"The Mysterious Murasame Castle" which could be made because Takamaru was in a lot of games recently.

It looks like an original Legend of Zelda clone. I'll take it!

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

Blackbond

RARE wasn't Japanese

But they WERE second party (which is what I'm primarily talking about). When did they have to be particularly Japanese when it can go to ANY developer, no matter the nationality?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#32 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26114 Posts

GD1551
Get Wonderful 101 then.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

PurpleMan5000

Nintendo is funding Platinum's games, though. Platinum is not taking losses. Nintendo is. It's really a pretty good deal for both sides because Nintendo really needs the games for its library to make their system more appealing, whether they sell or not.

And what makes you think they'll keep fitting the bill if the games aren't selling? Nintendo is losing money on consoles this gen, they won't be able to take as many risks on these kinds of titles. If Bayonetta 2 doesn't sell it's safe to say they'll be dead in the water.

If they became a second party developer, I have no doubt that they'd be relegated to stuff like Mario Party in order to sell copies.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"][QUOTE="Vaasman"]

Vaasman

And what makes you think they'll keep fitting the bill if the games aren't selling? Nintendo is losing money on consoles this gen, they won't be able to take as many risks on these kinds of titles. If Bayonetta 2 doesn't sell it's safe to say they'll be dead in the water.

If they became a second party developer, I have no doubt that they'd be relegated to stuff like Mario Party in order to sell copies.

Nevermind already assigning a developer for that and Wii U Party?

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Wasdie

they might feel like nobody else would want them, and that being in nintendo they stand a chance of becoming something special with less competition.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="PurpleMan5000"] Nintendo is funding Platinum's games, though. Platinum is not taking losses. Nintendo is. It's really a pretty good deal for both sides because Nintendo really needs the games for its library to make their system more appealing, whether they sell or not.nintendoboy16

If they became a second party developer, I have no doubt that they'd be relegated to stuff likeMario Party in order to sell copies.

Platinum's fun time game show confirmed for 2016.

I can see it now.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PurpleMan5000
It seems more likely that Nintendo would have them make a Star Fox game or something. Nintendo is a gaming company with a game developer as CEO. They know the Platinum games are high quality. They aren't going to take what would be one of the better studios making games for them and start cranking out party games. This isn't Microsoft.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]And what makes you think they'll keep fitting the bill if the games aren't selling? Nintendo is losing money on consoles this gen, they won't be able to take as many risks on these kinds of titles. If Bayonetta 2 doesn't sell it's safe to say they'll be dead in the water.

If they became a second party developer, I have no doubt that they'd be relegated to stuff likeMario Party in order to sell copies.

Vaasman

I can see it now.

Again, why would Nintendo put Platinum on party games when ND Cube is already doing it?

SonicNextGen2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SonicNextGen2
Member since 2010 • 3592 Posts
This would be great on Nintendo's behalf because they're going to get more exclusives and more people interested in their console, it may fall short on Platinum's behalf because the amount of interest they can generate can only be for one company.
Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]And what makes you think they'll keep fitting the bill if the games aren't selling? Nintendo is losing money on consoles this gen, they won't be able to take as many risks on these kinds of titles. If Bayonetta 2 doesn't sell it's safe to say they'll be dead in the water.

Vaasman

I can see it now.

You're delusional. When has something along those lines happened? Those lower tier games are usually assigned to newly formed teams and not Hal, Intelligent Systems, Retro Studios, or Monolith.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Vaasman

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]Nevermind already assigning a developer for that and Wii U Party?

nintendoboy16

I can see it now.

Again, why would Nintendo put Platinum on party games when ND Cube is already doing it?

Are you not paying attention to what I've said at all? If they became a 2nd party developer, and the games they usually make are not selling, they will be forced to make games that sell or find another publisher, the latter of which they have already failed to do.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

GD1551
Have fun skipping out on good games because of your fanboy vendetta then.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#43 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
We'll see.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
This would be great on Nintendo's behalf because they're going to get more exclusives and more people interested in their console, it may fall short on Platinum's behalf because the amount of interest they can generate can only be for one company.SonicNextGen2
Not to mention the majority of the fanbase aren't interested in any games other than Nintendo developed.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

With their like minded focus on quality gameplay, I feel this would be a fitting match. I hope the sales pick up for Wii U and platinum games.

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 GD1551

[QUOTE="GD1551"]

Shinobishyguy

Have fun skipping out on good games because of your fanboy vendetta then.

A fanboy of what exactly?

Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Nintendo_Ownes7

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="Vaasman"]Platinum's fun time game show confirmed for 2016.

I can see it now.

Vaasman

Are you not paying attention to what I've said at all? If they became a 2nd party developer, and the games they usually make are not selling, they will be forced to make games that sell or find another publisher, the latter of which they have already failed to do.

Platinum could get sales if they make games similar to Nintendo. Kamiya expressed interest in working on two Nintendo IPs Star Fox and Murasame Castle; Murasame Castle was the 2nd game for the Famicom Disk System after Zelda and it was sort of a Zelda clone but with a Time limit it was set in Feudal Japan with Alien invaders.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
MAKE IT HAPPEN.
PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PurpleMan5000
I really don't think Murasame Castle would sell well.
nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts
LOL at all the haters if Nintendo gets anything lol