Pillars Of Eternity, leave it dead?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Poll Pillars Of Eternity, leave it dead? (25 votes)

ye 32%
ne 68%
No Caption Provided

Pillars Of Eternity was in no uncertain terms, a resurgence of Obsidian. An otherwise talented developer constantly acting as a B-Team with constrained resources, they never quite got the same respect as the now, zombified Bioware. Which is arguably in a far worse state. Living off the fumes of the past.

While Pillars Of Eternity done well, jumping aboard the Kickstarter bandwagon to prey on "thing I remember, before the dark times", it's sequel, well received critically, commercially shat the bed. As did Tyranny.

Now, snapped up with Microcock, they make console RPGs akin to Fallout 3.

Should Pillars Of Eternity remain dead? Is this a franchise worth resuscitating.

I must admit, rolled twice in the first game and never reached the end and thus never bothered with the sequel.

• 
ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Don't know about leave it be, but personally, yeah not something I need lol.

I was all about the first game. Like many others, was just so starved for that type of game. Also bought into Tyranny and enjoyed what I played.

But yeah, ultimately never bothered with Pillars 2 and likely wouldn't grab a 3. Especially with that sub-genre being back in (relative) abundance. Plenty of seemingly worthy titles I haven't messed with yet.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I liked the first game, and I remember liking the second game more.

I'd play a third one. The games' setting has enough interesting story elements to create another game.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

Depends on what the ambitions of the studio leadership are. But there will always be a market for those types of games. Right now they're working on Outer Worlds 2, seems like a safer investment at the moment, and it's hard to tell anybody in this industry not to pursue a successful IP. But with their resources, experience as developers, and a need by Microsoft to support a diversity of types of games to their service, I don't see why they couldn't. Supposedly MS is giving these acquisitions more creative freedom, so I can't see why they couldn't if they wanted to. With success of more indie games like these isometric RPGs and action games and rogue-likes and such, it wouldn't seem too much like a risky niche genre. Game Pass does have a presence on PC and these games can be made accessible for console, and have been. Plus their release model seems comfortable keeping games accessible on Steam, I see no reason making another couldn't be profitable.

Another thing to consider is that MS didn't just acquire these studios, their talent, but they also inherited the goodwill associated with the franchises they are known for. It would be in the best interest of both parties to make another for that very reason.

As for a seeming hate by TC for their work on Outer Worlds, IMO there choice to do Outer Worlds seems born from the fanfare Fallout New Vegas got and seeming preference for that over Fallout 3. I was always the opposite but it seemed I was in the minority. People wanted Obsidian to make another, heard it for years, and they kind of did. They did what their fans wanted. And they started this new franchise long before MS acquired them. And like I said before, it's hard to tell anybody in this industry not to keep pursuing a successful franchise. But, seems they listed to their fans asking for them to make another Fallout (sort of), so maybe if people yern for another Pillars of Eternity loud enough, incessantly enough, maybe they'll do it.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

There will always be a place and market for traditional Western/D and D-style RPG's like that, but as for Pillars of Eternity, I don't know....not really sure why the franchise would continue. I never beat the second game, did it end on a cliffhanger? If not, work on something else.

A shame Pillars get's all the attention while the much more unique Tyranny is overlooked, too. Now that's an overlooked gem of a game right there.

Obsidian seems to have found their home and MS is letting them do their thing; hell, they're even letting them make a passion project survival game (Grounded) inspired by Honey! I Shrunk the Kids!" that they're slowly chipping away at (it's kind of fun, FYI, and you can play it in early access on Game Pass).

Outer Worlds was fun, and I loved the overall design of "This game ends after 20 hours" versus the modern "This game never ends you'll be playing it for 200 hours AND THEN WE WILL RELEASE DLC FOR IT BWAHAHAH!" tactic of developers.

TL;DR: I hope Obsidian keeps doing what they're doing and I look forward to what they have coming out. I'd like another old-school RPG from them, but I don't need one either. I'd like to see them make another KOTOR-style game as well (doesn't have to be Star Wars, just in that same vein).

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7270 Posts

I think Pillars did what it needed to do. The genre has been revived and is being carried on by multiple developers. Obsidian, now backed by Microsoft money, should bring their unique vision to the AAA space.

I'd mostly like to see them come up with something new now that they have unprecedented resources behind them. If I were in charge, it would be something with the complex, multi-layered role playing of Alpha Protocol, but attached to a non-janky game.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Great game, better than all the turds they will be making now.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I voted yes. I still haven't played the second. It's in my GP pile :-p

But I enjoyed the first quite a bit. Tyranny is better in some ways, due to it pushing a greater personal investment in the story and your character's persona

I wouldn't vote against another shot for them, and would be much more interested than an Outer Worlds affair

*edit* d'oh. I misread the title. I should have voted NO. Ah well. Sorry Obsidian - I crushed thine dreams

Avatar image for deactivated-62852ef1135c6
deactivated-62852ef1135c6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-62852ef1135c6
Member since 2021 • 1322 Posts

Don't ever want to look at that P5 article pic again. Or whatever it was.

Freaking depressing.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

Pillars 2 is my favorite D&D rpg so far. I wish they increased level cap though. The game has insane amount of content.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

I would like to see more Pillars games. It was an interesting setting and isometric D&D type games are always nice.

Its a shame Pillars 2 didnt do so well. maybe a load of people who wanted it bought it during the fig campaign (it was funded quite well) so those who took the investors route may have been a bit burned by that. it can hapen with crowdfunded games (i mean if SQ42 ever releases it may not sell well at all since those who want it have essentially already bough it :S).

Pillars 2 is better than Pillars 1 in basically every way. seriously if you liked pillars 1 then do pick up 2.

In saying that i would also like to see obsidian being able to stretch their legs more now.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58951 Posts

Wouldn't say Pillars was bad at all. But definitely for a specific type of player, and once that is established from the first, the second becomes a harder sell.

Something like Divinity: OS had far more zip, bam, whoop, bonk. It feels contemporary, less fossilized in nature. Kind of little surprise that soared while this floundered.

Again, not saying that means it's bad. Just crippled by what it stringently wants to be.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2251 Posts

Dunno tbh, found the first one quite great but the second one came out in another time where there was a lot more competition in that area and imo it was also a way worse game! That being said, I would love to see a third one or a new game in the same genre with a AAA budget, but whatever they do please simplify the combat/rule system a bit, was so complicated!

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

A shame Pillars get's all the attention while the much more unique Tyranny is overlooked, too. Now that's an overlooked gem of a game right there.

Was it ever. Who would’ve though something that initially came off as a quick diablo-chasing cash grab would end up with such a rich gripping world and fulfilling player agency. The Icewind Dale of it’s generation I suppose. A shame about chapter 3, but budget and time’ll do that to you.

As far as Pillars of Eternity goes, I wouldn’t be sad to see it shuttered. Even in a drought of isometric CRPGs, I found the first to be bland and uninspired. Deadfire was better, but still took steps backwards and did a poor job making the main story compelling.

About to play Solasta now and eagerly waiting for Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous in Sept. A good time to be a CRPG fan.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

I really liked the first one ... Tyranny was good, but it felt unfinished, specially because they build such a huge antagonist, you knew it was impossible to end the story right there.

I haven't played Pillars 2 but i didn't knew it was a "flop" if you will. I say the franchise is worth the trouble. Specially because CRPGs are building some momentum with new releases so Pillars 3 would definitely be a welcome addition ... as long as they fix some of their issues, like for example, towards the end is like they always ran out of ideas, at least in Tyranny, it feels you are running around in circles for quite some time. The plots are always interesting in the first few hours, but they lost steam as the ending comes closer and for casual players, inventory managment is far from intuitive. Still, i say yeah, hope we have a Pillars Trilogy and even a Tyranny sequel.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 940 Posts

Lol, what does that image has to do with the topic at hand???

anyway, isometric old school RPGs have never been my thing. They offered the 1st game on the EGS and I still have no desire to play it, but I know some who liked it. Personally I prefer Outer Worlds but I think no loved franchise should be put to death if the resources and interest are there