Picking a poison: Mass Effect: Andromeda vs Fallout 4?

• 69 results
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

Poll Picking a poison: Mass Effect: Andromeda vs Fallout 4? (94 votes)

Mass Effect: Andromeda 19%
Fallout 4 81%

On this forum (and other places), two Action RPG's from two of the most popular developers in the genre (Bioware, Bethesda) have gotten a LOT of flak, while one did at least get some damn good reviews over the other.

With that, I must ask, which, if you had the choice, would you rather pick. Mass Effect: Andromeda or Fallout 4?

Me personally, the frustrating design of Andromeda made me WANT to go back and beat FO4, which I honestly like more as a game.

• 
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#51 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Fallout 4 is a great game.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#52 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

I pick Andromeda because I know that fallout series sucks.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19583 Posts

I've only played Fallout 4.

My vote goes to Mass Effect Andromeda.

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2075 Posts

So mass effect as a series had been running a fine balance of shooter RPG mechanics and it was great, for me MEA was not good, the shooting mechanics I actually felt were worse this time round and the additional movement options imo also hindered the game, the story tbh did not grab me certainly not in the way the original trilogy did, NPC companions ranged from mediocre to bad and generally the world felt dead. Fallout 4 vanilla has its problems, the story is overly personal, until the DLC there was an over reliance on power armour like the developer had this cool concept on exo skeleton power armour and was determined you use it, options and influence on outcomes this time round are far more limited and the RPG elements took a distinct backstep but the shooting did improve and in parts some of the way the lore is delivered with corpses placed with certain items and then terminals telling you what happened are very good. Since release though the DLC imo has been very good and moving away from the main story has been beneficial as that story was too limited in scope, the addition of MODS especially to consoles has been a game changer and the sandbox Bethesda created for emergent gameplay is probably the best example this gen on consoles.

I love the mass effect series really thought Bioware had found their IP to nurture and develop then ME3's ending happened which even if you don't think it's bad is at least incongruent with what came before, but I was ready to Jump back in with MEA, unfortunately that was a poor excuse for a ME title and thus Fallout 4 wins even if it is the weakest entry of the new Fallouts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#55 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@charizard1605 said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@charizard1605 said:

I really like Fallout 4, so that.

Curious question: I remember you hating FO4 once upon a time, but I remember you making a thread admitting to changing your mind. Why is that? (Link me that thread if you want to)

I replayed it a year later, streaming it for my friends as I did. So a few things happened:

• I played it separated from my own expectations around the time of FO4's release (which were colored by The Witcher 3)
  • I went into it with lowered expectations to begin with
  • I played it 'co-op with friends' in a manner of speaking which let me have fun with it on its own terms and merits

I still think it's a horrible RPG, but as a dumb open world loot shooter, I think it works really well. The core gameplay loop is also ridiculously fun, so it has that going for it as well.

I would link to the thread, but I can't find it :P

@illmatic87

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11126 Posts

Both didn't live up to (my) expectations but Andromeda failed more so I pick Fallout 4.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1847 Posts

People are unfairly bashing F4. It's light years a better game than ME Adromeda. Even if F4 didn't live up to its hype, it still beats most AAA recent releases and it's a rock solid rpg. Adromeda, in chnage, is both - didn't live up to its hype nor it's a good game.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23046 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:

Fallout 4 is really good

Fallout 4's big problems were the radiant quest systems (which I can overlook by ignoring them) and the near total absence of the charm 3 and New Vegas had (which can't be overlooked as easily). While technically sound, Fallout 4 took itself too seriously, and it felt much more bland because of it.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

@mattbbpl: I really hated how gutted the chat system was and I never used the shelter building. This one felt more like a straight shooter for me as opposed to 3 and NV. I consider the latter two great and and amazing. I do love the companion system in 4 though, I really wanted that cast of weirdos to like me.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

Fallout 4 is disappointing but can still be fun. Mass Effect is a bitter blow to a glorious series.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1478 Posts

I only played the demo for Andromeda, didn't really hook me. Characters and the premise just felt completely unrelatable.

As for Fallout 4, well apparently after 20 years Bethesda finally learned how to make the gameplay part fun. So it has that going for it.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#62 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Fallout 4 is so much more with a shit ton a free mods on the Nexus that make the game worth hundreds of hours (310 hours in and I haven't finished the main story!).

I did kind of enjoy ME:A, the combat was excellent unfortunately literally everything else was a let down. The political agenda laced thoroughly through out the game spoiled it more than anything else.

Fallout 4 takes the win by a large margin imho.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Fallout 4... By a lot since I didn't buy Mass Effect Andromeda after the teaser time trial thing, I LOVED the first two Mass Effect games and the third was great also but Andromeda along with No Mans Sky are the biggest disappointments in gaming for me this generation. I really wanted a amazing RPG single player space experience.

While Fallout 4 is not the best in the series its still great game that will give many hours of fun.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#64 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

@Mercenary848 said:

@mattbbpl: I really hated how gutted the chat system was and I never used the shelter building. This one felt more like a straight shooter for me as opposed to 3 and NV. I consider the latter two great and and amazing. I do love the companion system in 4 though, I really wanted that cast of weirdos to like me.

I was actually disappointed in it myself. I do like that it's easier than New Vegas as you needed a freaking guide (most of the time) to figure out what every companion needed, while on the other hand, besides Nick Valentine (and maybe the usefulness of ADA in the Assaultron DLC), I don't find the companions as memorable as say, Veronica, Boone, ED-E (especially in Lonesome Road), or Raul Tejada (aka Danny Trejo) and worse yet, you're limited to ONE companion, where in New Vegas, you can have two (one humanoid, the other non-humanoid).

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#65  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I dont know what u guys are smokin but Fallout 4 is legit. I actually liked it better than Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Why? Cause this time around the actual shooting didnt s*cked monkey b*lls a** like in the previous two games and the dialogue system, albeit simpler, was more intuitive and quick. I just wanted to shoot things not talking pointless sh*t for 30 minutes

Cant speak about ME:A cause I havent played it yet

jv303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66 jv303
Member since 2014 • 545 Posts

FO4 was disappointing because people thought it didn't push the goalposts far enough ahead.

Andromeda was disappointing because it was WORSE than the other games.

FO4 wins.

DarkTower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 DarkTower
Member since 2017 • 201 Posts

I played a bit of the mass effect and I was not impressed at all. Fallout looks way better

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#68  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'm probably in the minority here. But, I actually enjoyed building settlements and assigning traders to ply the trade routes in FO4.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52446 Posts

Both are certified garbage