Personally, I think MGS4 is in contention for being the worst MGS

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ace52387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ace52387
Member since 2005 • 757 Posts

All the MGS games have outstanding boss battles, at least one a game is absolutely amazing. None of the boss battles in MGS4 really stack up to The End, Vulcan Raven, or Sniper Wolf. Raging raven was pretty horrific IMO. Story wise, it ties everything together, but contains cutscenes that are literally half an hour long sometimes. Not only that, there's a lot of cheesy metaphors going on about lightning and shadows. At first, it was ok, but they drill it into you again and again and again. Way too much corny in one game. The ending is also incredibly hard to swallow. Spoilers ahead

*SPOILERS********************************************

Really. Don't read this or the game will be spoiled. Ocelot pretending to be liquid makes no sense. It was to fool the patriots, but they see Liquid as a threat the same way they would have seen Ocelot being a threat. There was absolutely no need for him to hypnotize himself, kill big mama, and nearly stop snake from destroying GW, which would have screwed everything up. This is the only plot hole I found, but it basically means the whole game logically shouldn't have occured.

*End Spoilers*

So in my opinion, it has the least interesting boss battles, and also the worst story. I hear a lot of praise but I can't see how it compares favorably directly against the past installments.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14815 Posts
I think MGS4 is the worst one of the main Metal Gear Solid games but I still love it.
DennisHopperz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DennisHopperz
Member since 2008 • 304 Posts
I think MGS4 is the worst one of the main Metal Gear Solid games but I still love it.SOedipus
Same here
spliffstar12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 spliffstar12
Member since 2008 • 1281 Posts
i kind of agree i guess
verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts
I would personally say MGS2 is the worst...but MGS4 is a close second, but still a great conclusion.
IIJuggaNottII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 IIJuggaNottII
Member since 2008 • 1907 Posts

A half and hour? Naah, try again. I beat Raging Raven...and the cutscene and breifing after that was an hour. I know because I was trying to beat that part and see the cutscene before I went to work one day. I enjoyed the heck out of the game....while the cutscenes are too long IMO..the only gripe I have with it is the gameplay. I just dont like the controls.

Again on the cutscenes...Its always funny when someone says "MGS4? Naah, I like to play games..not watch them". lol.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I liked the boxing match at the end...
AgentA-Mi6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 AgentA-Mi6
Member since 2006 • 16713 Posts
All the main installments are great But MGS1 and MGS3 simply shine more than MGS4. Ironically those got lower scores, If Mgs4 deseves a 10.0 mgs1 deserves a 16 out of ten.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I think Metal Gear Solid 3 is the worst, that's not saying much either since the series is outstanding. I played a little bit of Metal Gear Solid 4, and I have to say the graphics are impressive, but I don't like dragging Solid Snake decrepit body on a killing field. Makes me feel sorry for the poor guy. :(
Avatar image for muffintheduffin
muffintheduffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 muffintheduffin
Member since 2008 • 1004 Posts

usually i would just say this."personally,i think this is the worst thread showing mgs negativity ever made"but after reading your statement.i must concur.the battles are not as great as the past mgs games.mgs 3 and mgs 2 had great boss battles.mgs4? lacks it.
Uptown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Uptown
Member since 2002 • 10348 Posts
am I the only one that thought MGS3 was far inferior to MGS4?
IIJuggaNottII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 IIJuggaNottII
Member since 2008 • 1907 Posts

I liked the boxing match at the end...BioShockOwnz

Yeah..it was a good fight. lol. I'm a guy who was never interested in the MGS games ever. I bought a PS3 and wanted the best game available....MGS4 didnt let me down at all. Still you gotta know that I was going through the game like "what? who?....okay...ummm? who is he again? Why is she important again?". It was totally over my head...I still thought it was nice.

Lewisite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lewisite
Member since 2008 • 511 Posts

I liked how the bosses in MGS4 were mixtures of the ones from the previous games.

Each member of the Beauty and the Beast Unit is derived from the animal in the name of a member of FOXHOUND in Metal Gear Solid, the weapon of one of Dead Cell in Metal Gear Solid 2, and the emotion of one of Cobra Unit in Metal Gear Solid 3:

• Decoy Octopus+ Solidus (tentacles) + The Joy = Laughing Octopus
  • Vulcan Raven + Fatman (explosives) + The Fury = Raging Raven
  • Sniper Wolf + Fortune (railgun) + The Sorrow = Crying Wolf
  • Psycho Mantis + Vamp (knives) + The Fear = Screaming Mantis

Avatar image for DontBeHatin1983
DontBeHatin1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DontBeHatin1983
Member since 2008 • 1044 Posts
i still think mgs3 is the best in the series great story and boss battles. MGS4 is a great game, still the best game i played this year but some of the movie scenes were too long but i still enjoyed them. MGS 1/3>MGS4>MGS2 worst in the series story wise
sam280992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sam280992
Member since 2007 • 3754 Posts
[QUOTE="Uptown"]am I the only one that thought MGS3 was far inferior to MGS4? signore
no, you're normal. TC is just trying to get attention for being 'different' You're seriously effed if you think MGS4 is a backward step in MGS series. Luckily none of you will never be in a position where your opinion holds much weight

...Ouch! :lol:
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
Why do people get so mad over opinions? Who cares? Everyone's opinion will always suck, unless it's the one you want to hear.
RyanShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RyanShazam
Member since 2006 • 6498 Posts

I personally think its the best MGS game. I thought it was the only one that was actually fun. The other games bored the crap out of me, and this was first one i enjoyed.

The story elements you mentioned, I agree with. The story confused the crap out of me sometimes.

AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
MGS3 was much better in every way except control wise.
sam280992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sam280992
Member since 2007 • 3754 Posts
Why do people get so mad over opinions? Who cares? Everyone's opinion will always suck, unless it's the one you want to hear.BioShockOwnz
My opinion doesn't suck... :(
Avatar image for dark-warmachine
dark-warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 dark-warmachine
Member since 2007 • 3476 Posts
MGS3>MGS1>MGS4>MGS2
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
I think MGS4 is the worst one of the main Metal Gear Solid games but I still love it.SOedipus
I also agree. I loved all the console MGS games more. MGS1, 2 and 3 were more enjoyable to me. MGS4 tried to do too much story telling...and the story is convoluted enough as it is. trying to explain it all in short interludes was painful.
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts
MGS3>MGS1>MGS4>MGS2dark-warmachine
My only amendment to your list would have been putting 2 ahead of 4.
signore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 signore
Member since 2007 • 2122 Posts
Why do people get so mad over opinions? Who cares? Everyone's opinion will always suck, unless it's the one you want to hear.BioShockOwnz
my opinion is always pretty awesome IMO
ejstrup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ejstrup
Member since 2005 • 2192 Posts
am I the only one that thought MGS3 was far inferior to MGS4? Uptown
Not at all. MGS3 was by far my least favourite of them all
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
My favorite in order is MGS1,4,2 then 3. 2 use to be my least cause i was so confused,but I beat it again and it made more sense therefore I put it back up. THe only reason 3 is lower for me is cause of 1 reason I said many times. No background of the bosses. It made the boss encounters for me have less weight. MGS 1,2,4 all had boss bacgrounds in terms making 3 kind of the odd one,but the game was still amazing.
Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts
MGS3>MGS1>MGS4>MGS2dark-warmachine
Interesting. MGS1>MGS3>MGS2>MGS4
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#28 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
My biggest concern is it doesn't have to be "tactical espionage". MGS4 was the first installment that I could just run and gun through the whole game. There really is no point to sneaking in this one. Imagine Halo 4 where you have to sneak around listening to conversations, picking pockets, and all that other crap that didn't make Assasins Creed exciting. I enjoyed MGS4, but now that the initial hype has long passed, it is no where near a 10.
bufu21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bufu21
Member since 2006 • 1214 Posts
I liked the boxing match at the end...BioShockOwnz
yeahhh
dark-warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dark-warmachine

[QUOTE="dark-warmachine"]MGS3>MGS1>MGS4>MGS2Adrian_Cloud

Hey as long as anyone prefers the 3rd over 2 and 4, I'm good.

naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
well not the best selling
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts
Overall, i enjoyed MGS4 more than MGS3 to be honest. So much was promised with MGS3 (completely open environments, non linear gameplay, etc.) that it was a small letdown for me. I still finished it and enjoyed it but it was a bit of a letdown. MGS4 delivered on everything promised this time around IMO. Was definitely better than MGS3. I still enjoyed the original MGS more than any though...by a longshot.
Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts

storywise, it was probably the worst for me. the quality of the cinematics however, was the best, especially because it finally had region-accurate lip synching. the gameplay was excellent. the boss battles were great, gameplay-wise, especially Crying Wolf. :D

[spoiler] I agree about the Liquid Ocelot twist. It was utterly ridiculous, it killed the finale for me, as well as the backstory of most of the series. [/spoiler]

Lewisite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lewisite
Member since 2008 • 511 Posts
I enjoyed the story, I was confused a couple of times but after a few reads on the metal gear wiki and looking at some stuff from a different angle it started to make sense again. :P
El-Visitante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 El-Visitante
Member since 2007 • 1137 Posts
[QUOTE="Uptown"]am I the only one that thought MGS3 was far inferior to MGS4? signore
no, you're normal. TC is just trying to get attention for being 'different' You're seriously effed if you think MGS4 is a backward step in MGS series. Luckily none of you will never be in a position where your opinion holds much weight

That's quite a pretentious thing to say. Besides, no one is saying that it took a step backwards. Most statements here are quite rational and are just peoples sentiments on how this game was perhaps, not the best game of the series. I personally agree with that, as MGS2 is my fav. game of the series.
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#36 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
[QUOTE="SOedipus"]I think MGS4 is the worst one of the main Metal Gear Solid games but I still love it.DennisHopperz
Same here

what he said, MGS3 was the best one imo, although the fist battle at the end of mgs4 was quite enjoyable
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#37 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts
I agree about the plot holes but I guess so much things are thrown at you maybe they were hoping that people would not notice. Then again that's what Metal Gear Solid is all about.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
Love these topics where TC doesn't understand the story so they try to make up some reason why the game is bad and not their understanding.
dark-warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dark-warmachine

Love these topics where TC doesn't understand the story so they try to make up some reason why the game is bad and not their understanding.110million

To be fair. the story in MGS4 was a bit convoluted, but I still look at this game as one of the greatest this gen.

ace52387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ace52387

In terms of boss battles and story, I like MGS3 the most. The game kind of drifted in the "openness" direction, which I don't think is a good idea for stealth games where the AI is intentionally stupid. It's just a huge crawl/tranq fest. Soldiers don't know what's going on after they've been shot with a tranq, and other soldiers seeing a soldier passed out on the dirt still does nothing more than just kick him. At least in 1 and 2, you had to find clever ways to get a tranq shot in. I think this aspect of the game also gets way worse in 4. The levels are no longer puzzles. It's even more of a tranq fest because half the time the enemies are severely preoccupied with other soldiers.

MGS2 is on a lot of people's hate lists, but I think it's still superior to 4. The soliton radar gameplay made every level much more of a puzzle than a test of patience. While MGS4 is much more upfront with it's story with fewer plot twists, its core concept makes much less sense. MGS2 is all about information control, and how that means ultimate power for the patriots. MGS4 is about war control, which is vaguely explained, but the "how" makes no sense. Short of mind control, how do the patriots control when and where conflict is incited? (don't worry this isn't really a spoiler) War has become a collection of proxy battles, but someone has to back each side of the proxies, and the patriots aren't a nation or anything. Which means the patriots somehow have to mind control people to make sure there is no era of peace, and it's pretty clear that they can't quite do that. Even in story, I believe 2 is better.

Edit: I guess information control works to incite conflict. Still, the plot holes are pretty big in 4, and I kinda liked the freaky plot twist. Also people hate raiden's emo-ness, but in 4 he's even more emo.

Which reminds me, I just thought of another plot hole;

*SPOILERS*

why don't the patriots just use guns of the patriots on liquid? If that doesn't work because of the syringe, then why not his key pmc's? He could never have attained the ability to control nanomachines without his goons, and therefore would never really be a threat as the US military could squash him.

ace52387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ace52387

Love these topics where TC doesn't understand the story so they try to make up some reason why the game is bad and not their understanding.110million

If you understand it, care to explain the plot hole I mentioned in the first post? I've played every MGS and read synopses of their stories before getting into 4, so yes, I got the story

Edit: er, also:

[spoiler] ocelot was pretty conscious of the fact that he wasn't REALLY liquid, which is evident at the end with his doppleganger line and the fact that he said what he wanted was infact the destruction of both GW and JD, whereas his hypnotized self pretending to be liquid clearly wanted to keep GW for himself, which means his killing of big mama and fervent effort to stop snake made even less sense. [/spoiler]

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#42 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
Metal Gear battle = Most fun in any boss battle I've ever had.
BZSIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BZSIN
Member since 2005 • 7889 Posts

MGS1>MGS4>MGS3>MGS2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>being stabbed in the face>The Twin Snakes.

Just my opinion, don't hurt me. Unless you want to.

Holyknight_CJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Holyknight_CJ
Member since 2006 • 1091 Posts

i still think mgs3 is the best in the series great story and boss battles. MGS4 is a great game, still the best game i played this year but some of the movie scenes were too long but i still enjoyed them. MGS 1/3>MGS4>MGS2 worst in the series story wiseDontBeHatin1983

^This^

Except I didn't really enjoy the movie scenes at all, but the gameplay made up for it. I loved the guns btw. The fight against The End is my favourite in the series, and that's saying a lot. Actually I didn't like the boss fights in MGS4 much for a MGS game, but still the series has epic boss fights. I would rate MGS4 8.5, reduced 0.8 from 9.3 for the convulted long videos and many failed attempts to be profound.

teufelherz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 teufelherz
Member since 2004 • 1315 Posts

This is the way it goes IMHO:

MGS1>MGS3>MGS4>MGS2

So I think MGS2 is the worst

Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts

[QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"][QUOTE="dark-warmachine"]MGS3>MGS1>MGS4>MGS2dark-warmachine

Hey as long as anyone prefers the 3rd over 2 and 4, I'm good.

ROFL. You've got a point.
nuge004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nuge004
Member since 2006 • 851 Posts
Difficulty wise, MGS3>MGS2>MGS4, still loved them all and I never did play MGS1
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
I agree. I'm not a fan of MGS2's brain-imploding plot (there's apparently a very fine line between "brilliant" and "stupid"), but at least that installment didn't make stealth take a back seat to flat-out action. I mean, MGS4 gave you the option to play the entire game in a farking FPS mode.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

The rampant hostility in your posts reek of personal issues...
-tehbiggaboss-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 -tehbiggaboss-
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts

[QUOTE="110million"]Love these topics where TC doesn't understand the story so they try to make up some reason why the game is bad and not their understanding.ace52387

If you understand it, care to explain the plot hole I mentioned in the first post? I've played every MGS and read synopses of their stories before getting into 4, so yes, I got the story

Edit: er, also:

But Ocelot DID think he was liquid, he was no longer aware how his personality had gone crazy. I dont know how you could have missed this but that was the whole point of the final battle. You basically beat the Liquid out of Ocelot(as shown by the flashback thingies of him turning into Ocelot and the whole transition from Liquid->LiquidOcelot->Ocelot on the health bar). So, only at the end did Ocelot become(or become aware)that he was Ocelot. The Database confirms this too.

So yeah....