People who complain about Anti Piracy methods are mad only because....

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

valmonte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 valmonte
Member since 2005 • 736 Posts
[QUOTE="lowe0"][QUOTE="Painballz"]

They stuff, like what about the people with internet, who the heck has a gaming PC with no internet.

Painballz

Anyone who lives in rural America. I have a friend who lives about 10 miles outside of Brownsburg, IN (itself about 10 miles out of Indianapolis), and he has no access to broadband - he has to use dialup. Do you want to have to dial up to authenticate your games?

And this is less than half an hour outside a major city - imagine what it's like in the middle of nowhere.

Well, hes the minority

That right there. That dismissive certainty of yours amuses me, TC. Anytime a valid argument is presented, you wave your hand as if it were a trifle, and ignore it. You don't want to discuss the issue, so much as impress everyone with how very smart you are, and how remarkably insightful your post is.

The system is invasive, doesn't stop piracy, and in the past only served to limit legitimate users. Your smug holier than thou bull doesn't hold up. People are upset because it IS a hassle. People are upset because it SHOULD be their right to pass on a game AFTER they've beat it. I know I let a friend borrow Mass Effect on 360 when I finished.

It does NOT stop piracy, nor does it make things harder FOR pirates. It took less than a week for Bioshock to be cracked. Less than a week. So you want to make the claim that this is anything but a burden for the legitimate consumer?

APOLLOCJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 APOLLOCJD
Member since 2007 • 2311 Posts

No I hate being punsihed for legally buying the game. I hate having to jump though hoops, and hop on one leg to play the blasted game. Some anti-piracy methods are alright but others make it feel like a punishment for buying the game.Chaos_HL21

It's a shame that PC gaming has resorted to what you describe it to be, I think the only ones really at fault for this problem is those who pirate. Until pirating stops you will probably have to keep jumping on that one leg....and maybe with a bucket over your head to.

valmonte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 valmonte
Stop complaining just because its getting harder for you to pirate games.

Painballz

Dude. Actually READ some of these posts. They address the issue, and don't complain "just because it's getting harder to pirate games". They make a number of valid points. All you've done is insist that their disagreeing with your fallacy means they MUST be whiny pirates.

I'm sorry to inform you, it IS possible for you to be wrong. Take this issue for example, in which you ARE wrong. And when people good naturedly try to point out the fact you might be going off half cocked, their dissent with your opinion isn't PROOF of your opinion, like you seem intent on claiming.

We're not complaining because we're whiny pirates. We're complaining because it's a legitimate burden, placed there BY the developers, despite their reasoning. SecuROM was (and still is) a fiasco with Bioshock, and so hearing that it's on Mass Effect IS worrisome.

Flexmaster_365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 Flexmaster_365
Member since 2006 • 1650 Posts

[QUOTE="Chaos_HL21"]No I hate being punsihed for legally buying the game. I hate having to jump though hoops, and hop on one leg to play the blasted game. Some anti-piracy methods are alright but others make it feel like a punishment for buying the game.APOLLOCJD

It's a shame that PC gaming has resorted to what you describe it to be, I think the only ones really at fault for this problem is those who pirate. Until pirating stops you will probably have to keep jumping on that one leg....and maybe with a bucket over your head to.

People will always pirate, steal, look for the cheapest way of getting something its just human nature. What needs to be done however is reducing these distribution places and making it more difficult for them.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#55 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
If you can create it, someone can pirate it eventually. No sense in denying what any Comp Sci professional knows. Thats one reasons I see many more ad supported, free PC games in the future.
ng1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 ng1234
Member since 2007 • 596 Posts

Last time I put my opinion in a anti-piracy disccusion I got suspended for 3 days :Z

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
The online activation is no big deal but means if you don't have the internet you cannot play the game. What is bad is the 3 install limit. If you are one to do clean installs or upgrade often you will end up with problems. There is no call center and customer service is via email and the process is slow.
MagnuzGuerra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 MagnuzGuerra
Member since 2004 • 1037 Posts
The online activation is no big deal but means if you don't have the internet you cannot play the game. What is bad is the 3 install limit. If you are one to do clean installs or upgrade often you will end up with problems. There is no call center and customer service is via email and the process is slow.Deihmos
What? There's even a 3 install limit?
romans828_2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 romans828_2002
Member since 2003 • 1108 Posts

Yeah, sorry but I'm with many people on this one. I understand that devs want to cut out pirates, but DRM procedures and licenses today are insane. It's like the old saying that locks are only to keep honest people out of your stuff. Dishonest people will always find a way to steal or cheat the system. For every smart person working on anti-piracy stuff, there is somebody who is just as smart who can figure out how to crack it. I don't condone stealing software for any reason (even to use it as a demo), but I'm no fool who believes that nobody does it. That being said, it would be pointless for me to lock up my front door like a bank vault when all a theif has to do is break a window. I'm just making it harder on me and my friends who want to come over to have access to my house. In essence, I would be keeping away the honest people while doing nothing to make my house safer from criminals.

Thus, as somebody whose Christian beliefs dictate that I need to pay for everything that I own, I will not have pirated music, movies, or software in my house. However, it think that it is silly sometimes the amount of hoops that I have to jump through simply to use the things that I purchase. I miss the old days where I could use my media purchases in reasonable ways, not limiting my software to use on one computer for one user. My good ole CDs could be easily transferred, as opposed to songs that I buy online that expire and cannot be burned after a certain number of days. My DLC on XBox cannot be transferred from one console that I own to another without online authentication. I cannot give my WOW game that I bought and no longer play to a friend because my bank account is married to that particular set of discs.

Thus, I'm not happy with anti-piracy measures because I'm forced to endure the hassle, sometimes to the point of having to re-purchase things that I have already paid for, only to know that it is doing nothing to stop people with brains and determination who want to steal.

Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts

[QUOTE="Deihmos"]The online activation is no big deal but means if you don't have the internet you cannot play the game. What is bad is the 3 install limit. If you are one to do clean installs or upgrade often you will end up with problems. There is no call center and customer service is via email and the process is slow.MagnuzGuerra
What? There's even a 3 install limit?

If you install and uninstall on the same PC you wouldn't have a problem but if you ever format your drive it will register as a new activation. Also if you install on another Computer it will do the same. I tend to format my drive every now and again so this wouldn't work. I am not interested in this game but it looks like they may do this in their future games. I have installed Windows Vista so many times without problems so I don't see why a game will have such a low install limit.

GabeBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 GabeBlack
Member since 2005 • 1821 Posts

They can't pirate the game as easy.

They want to be able to just download the game from some torrent and then jump on multiplayer free of charge without having to use cracked servers

They stuff, like what about the people with internet, who the heck has a gaming PC with no internet.

Painballz

No its because they are scum.

Painballz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Painballz
Member since 2008 • 1058 Posts
[QUOTE="Painballz"]

They want to be able to just download the game from some torrent and then jump on multiplayer free of charge without having to use cracked servers

GabeBlack

No its because they are scum.

what?

vash47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 vash47
Member since 2007 • 2171 Posts
[QUOTE="Painballz"][QUOTE="KingCotton462"][QUOTE="Painballz"]

KingCotton462

Many 'Pirates' torrent the game just to demo it and ultimately helps make the decision to buy.

As for the people with no internetz, well the majority of PC gamers originate from poorer countries and can barely afford dail up.

People who pirate games, will play on private servers instead of buying the game and are you serious about that second comment? Nvidia won company of the year in 07

Th best selling PC games require 56k or lower, you know I'm right with my statements.

Your staments have unlocked your new ignorance achievement.

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts
-_- Another thread full of "self-ownage" by Painballz.
KeeperofDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 KeeperofDingo
Member since 2006 • 565 Posts
The funny thing is, many pirate groups actually make a sport of who can crack the newest security measures for games/programs first. Stuff like this only encourages them.
KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#66 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts
When i bought MOH:AA, MOH:AA:spearhead, and other games in the same budget series (most played or something) there wasn't even a CD key in the box.
No manual either. The manual was on the CD but no CD key.
How can they be so stupid? That's one way to get people familiar with pirating.
Crusher89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Crusher89
Member since 2007 • 480 Posts
they already know how to crack the new methods already. its just a waste of time to even try now. the pirates will always win
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
anyone heard of the sony's rootkits? even if someone was using a music cd completely legally and legitimately, it installed a rootkit on your computer. i know that's not the same as antipiracy game stuff but some people don't want that to happen again.
Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
No we're mad because it makes it a pain in the ass to be a legitimate owner of the game. People will ALWAYS find a way to crack a game and distribute it. Companies are just taking the worst possible approach to this stuff by essintially making it easier and more convinient to steal a game than to buy it and deal with DRM bs. If they tied everything to a standardized central service like Steam that's the right direction to take.
DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#71 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

The problem with anti-pirate measure, particularly PC anti-pirate measure is simple:

1. They don't work. They are usually cracked within hours of release, often even before it is officially released.

2. They bugger up people that did buy the thing legit.

So basically, so a company can feel like their fighting something, the legit gamers are the ones hurt most. I might give this if these systems actually stood up for a month or something, but there is not a single release I've bothered to look for that wasn't cracked within days at the most.

InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#72 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts

Painballz

As many have already stated, people who complain about anti piracy methods are legit buyers, mad because they're treated like criminals and have to deal with a bunch of potential BS. Pirates don't give a ****, they'll just find a way to circumvent all that rubbish as usual.

Sushimaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Sushimaster
Member since 2003 • 2671 Posts
Ive got an idea! Developers should makes their games ridiculously huge, then no one in their right mind would pirate them! If games took up terabyte discs, this whole piracy thing would be solved. Too bad developers would rather make shorter games.
Crusher89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Crusher89
Member since 2007 • 480 Posts

Ive got an idea! Developers should makes their games ridiculously huge, then no one in their right mind would pirate them! If games took up terabyte discs, this would be solved. Too bad developers would rather make shorter games.Sushimaster

either that or make them cheaper

Painballz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Painballz
[QUOTE="Painballz"]

InsaneBasura

As many have already stated, people who complain about anti piracy methods are legit buyers, mad because they're treated like criminals and have to deal with a bunch of potential BS. Pirates don't give a ****, they'll just find a way to circumvent all that rubbish as usual.

source

Sushimaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Sushimaster
Member since 2003 • 2671 Posts
[QUOTE="InsaneBasura"][QUOTE="Painballz"]

Painballz

source

valve
valmonte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 valmonte
[QUOTE="InsaneBasura"][QUOTE="Painballz"]

Painballz

source

Source? For what? "People who complain about anti piracy methods are legit buyers, mad because they're treated like criminals and have to deal with a bunch of potential BS"? You want the source for that? Here we are. Do we have to photograph our PC collection for you, to in some way confirm we aren't pirates, but legitimate users with a legitimate complaint?

Is THAT what you're asking for when you say "source"? I mean, your entire post is based on your own cynical assessment of the situation rather than fact. Piracy is a problem, yes. But complaining about SecuROM is not neccessarily a red flag that someone is a pirate.

Our source is personal experience. Many of us have had trouble in the past with legitimate copies of media being boobytrapped to prevent piracy. I got hit with that Sony rootkit personally. So I wonder...

What's YOUR source? Not an article that says "piracy of PC games is a problem", because NO ONE here is arguing otherwise. Rather, where's your source (a clear cut article) that backs up your ridiculous claim "People who complain about anti piracy methods are mad only because it makes piracy harder"?

Painballz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Painballz
[QUOTE="Painballz"][QUOTE="InsaneBasura"][QUOTE="Painballz"]

valmonte

source

Source? For what? "People who complain about anti piracy methods are legit buyers, mad because they're treated like criminals and have to deal with a bunch of potential BS"? You want the source for that? Here we are. Do we have to photograph our PC collection for you, to in some way confirm we aren't pirates, but legitimate users with a legitimate complaint?

Is THAT what you're asking for when you say "source"? I mean, your entire post is based on your own cynical assessment of the situation rather than fact. Piracy is a problem, yes. But complaining about SecuROM is not neccessarily a red flag that someone is a pirate.

Our source is personal experience. Many of us have had trouble in the past with legitimate copies of media being boobytrapped to prevent piracy. I got hit with that Sony rootkit personally. So I wonder...

What's YOUR source? Not an article that says "piracy of PC games is a problem", because NO ONE here is arguing otherwise. Rather, where's your source (a clear cut article) that backs up your ridiculous claim "People who complain about anti piracy methods are mad only because it makes piracy harder"?

BF2 4 million copies sold, with locks

valmonte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 valmonte
[QUOTE="valmonte"][QUOTE="Painballz"][QUOTE="InsaneBasura"]

Painballz

source

So... the amount that BF2 sold proves "people who complain about antipiracy methods are mad because it makes piracy harder" how exactly?

Painballz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Painballz
[QUOTE="Painballz"][QUOTE="valmonte"][QUOTE="Painballz"][QUOTE="InsaneBasura"]

valmonte

source

Cuz BF2 is MP not SP

So... the amount that BF2 sold proves "people who complain about antipiracy methods are mad because it makes piracy harder" how exactly?

valmonte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 valmonte
[QUOTE="valmonte"][QUOTE="Painballz"][QUOTE="valmonte"][QUOTE="Painballz"]

source

Painballz

Cuz BF2 is MP not SP

You're saying that because BF2 is multiplayer rather than single player, "people who complain about antipiracy methods are mad because it makes piracy harder"? You flunk at madlibs, sir. Because BF2 sold 4 million copies and is multiplayer does not in any way back up the statement, "People who complain about antipiracy methods are mad because it makes piracy harder."

So... fill in the blank, please.

I believe that "People who complain about antipiracy methods are mad because it makes piracy harder" because ________.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#82 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Wrong. All DRM does is make the lives of legal owners worse. Pirates don't ever have to see the DRM because it is so easy for them to completely circumvent.

And I already proved to you that I support PC gaming more than you, so you can't call me a pirate because of my disagreement with invasive DRM.
Painballz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Painballz

Wrong. All DRM does is make the lives of legal owners worse. Pirates don't ever have to see the DRM because it is so easy for them to completely circumvent.

And I already proved to you that I support PC gaming more than you, so you can't call me a pirate because of my disagreement with invasive DRM.
foxhound_fox

I support PC gaming more, by actually buying games