PC Gaming has lost it's Edge over Consoles

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cshwzp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 cshwzp
Member since 2004 • 4567 Posts
Back in 1998 on consoles the best FPS would be Goldeneye single analog crap that run at 10-15 fps. The only multiplayer option was a pitiful splitscreen. PC gamers were enjoying Quake 2, Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Unreal by that time both in LAN parties and online. PC RPGs were flourishing with games Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Planescape Torment.

Today the difference is rather neglible no longer is there such a huge gap between visuals (Though hermits will talk about Dual Cores and DX10 something they won't see for another 2 years). Now consoles have full online (free and better on the PS3), LAN support, and they have evolved online infrastructures. Practiclly every PC game is a non exclusive. The top PC developers like Epic and Bioware are now making their biggest games for the PS3 rather than PC. Now most PC RPGs are MMORPG oriented garbage, look at Hellgate London for proof as it's the most hyped PC RPG.

It's hard to deny how consoles are literally destroying PC's superiority.
Gimli524

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Gimli524
Member since 2004 • 1527 Posts
I heard somewhere recently that PC gaming is growing faster than it ever has.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Actually, the PC has the most exclusives, clocking in at FIVES TIMES more AAes than the 360, and more AAAEs than the 360. Not to mention the PC is lightyears more advanced already thanks to Crysis. PC gaming hasn't lost its edge, and only a consolite would say that.
NerdMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 NerdMan
Member since 2002 • 2749 Posts

Practiclly every PC game is a non exclusive.
cshwzp

I am now convinced this is a joke thread. Thanks for the laugh.

Dynafrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dynafrom
Member since 2003 • 1027 Posts

Back in 1998 on consoles the best FPS would be Goldeneye single analog crap that run at 10-15 fps. The only multiplayer option was a pitiful splitscreen. PC gamers were enjoying Quake 2, Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Unreal by that time both in LAN parties and online. PC RPGs were flourishing with games Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Planescape Torment.

Today the difference is rather neglible no longer is there such a huge gap between visuals (Though hermits will talk about Dual Cores and DX10 something they won't see for another 2 years). Now consoles have full online (free and better on the PS3), LAN support, and they have evolved online infrastructures. Practiclly every PC game is a non exclusive. The top PC developers like Epic and Bioware are now making their biggest games for the PS3 rather than PC. Now most PC RPGs are MMORPG oriented garbage, look at Hellgate London for proof as it's the most hyped PC RPG.

It's hard to deny how consoles are literally destroying PC's superiority.cshwzp

Uhm, you know bioware is coming out with BG's sequel, Dragon Age this year right? And it's exclusive to PC.

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts

Oh yeah?

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25781167

Just because it isn't stickied anymore, doesn't mean it went away.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

I was gonna reply with some witty statement here and claim total ownage.. I had a really good one in my head, but then I saw your sig... and the word "Killzone" and "Best FPS ever" made me laugh to the point I admit ownage from that sig. It completely and utterly owned my idea and made it run away scared. Sorry.

KB/M >> Six Axis... imo.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
Crysis 2 will the the Half-Life 2 of this generation .. miles ahead.
Arsuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Arsuz
Member since 2003 • 2318 Posts
Yes have fun playing TF2 with your 16 player cap.
dbzfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 dbzfreak
Member since 2003 • 6223 Posts
I could of swore I seen a thread like this the other day, with pretty much the same wording. It was pretty much crystal clear that PCs still have an edge over consoles.
strudel420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 strudel420
Member since 2006 • 3687 Posts

Well the point is you tried.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts
I'm still waiting for new arguments, because it's always the same old story.
-Manntis-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 -Manntis-
Member since 2006 • 635 Posts

(Though hermits will talk about Dual Cores and DX10 something they won't see for another 2 years) cshwzp

Either I'm misreading this or you're a complete idiot.

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts

Today the difference is rather neglible no longer is there such a huge gap between visuals (Though hermits will talk about Dual Cores and DX10 something they won't see for another 2 years).cshwzp

.... Crysis begs to differ. And Crysis is only the beginning.. More and more games are going to start looking better and better on the PC.

Now consoles have full online (free and better on the PS3), LAN support, and they have evolved online infrastructures.cshwzp

How is the PS3's online BETTER? And the PC's online IS Free.... I don't see this arguement... Yes they have it but it is hardly up to snuff with what the PC has.

Practiclly every PC game is a non exclusive. The top PC developers like Epic and Bioware are now making their biggest games for the PS3 rather than PC.cshwzp

FIRST, the PC has by FAR the most AAAE and AAE games... And that won't be changing in '08.

Second.... when did Bioware start making games for the PS3? Their biggest game is actually Dragon Age, a PC exclusive. Bioware CEO even said he is more proud of Dragon Age than any other game they ever made. And he made that statement before Mass Effect released so don't say he is just hyping Dragon Age, because that statement meant taking away from the Mass Effect hype...

Now most PC RPGs are MMORPG oriented garbage, look at Hellgate London for proof as it's the most hyped PC RPG.

Hellgate was the most hyped but it certainly isn't the best... The Witcher is the best and, in all honesty, the Witcher is a better game than Mass Effect even... The PC has plenty of fantastic RPG's. Also, MMORPG's are not garbage. They are great games, well worth playing. They have more content than any other games and give more entertainment as well.

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts

True, many traditional PC developers have moved to multiplatform games ..but you gotta remember that when the 1st Half-life was the best shotoer in 1998, Valve was pretty new developer. Same with most legendary PC games, PC is a stepping stone for new developers, when they succeed they start to developed on consoles too to maximise their profits, it has always been like this, nothing has changed. PC still gets these new developer and games, among the two best games last year were Stalker and The Witcher, both from new devs. Eventually they turn to consoles as well to make $$$ with rehashes that never live up to the original. Consoles play catch up.

It's the same with online and FPS in a way. What is first discovered on PC eventually moves on to consoles as well, but at that point it's old on PC and there's already new ideas being tested. Only this gen online has really started to work on all consoles, yet it has been on PC for a decade. :? Is that really something to be proud of. Next gen consoles will prolly move onto RTS and MMORPGs in the footsteps of PC ..only about a decade too late. Consoles are still playing catch up just like before. Maybe next gen there will already be a HD standard on consoles too...

GundamGuy0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GundamGuy0
Member since 2003 • 10970 Posts
Thanks for the Laugh.
cshwzp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cshwzp

The majority of PC's exclusive games are garbage. Most people don't want to read a thousand page manual just to play a RPG nor do people want to take turns moving a Star Trek like spaceship.

Although most people do want to play great action packed games like Warhawk, NGS, Heavenly Sword, and other PC games which play better on the PS3, or even 360. Not to mention great games coming out soon such as MGS4, Killzone 2, GT5, DMC4, and Resistance 2, all of which destroy PC's 2008 lineup.

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Meu2k7

The majority of PC's exclusive games are garbage. Most people don't want to read a thousand page manual just to play a RPG nor do people want to take turns moving a Star Trek like spaceship.

Although most people do want to play great action packed games like Warhawk, NGS, Heavenly Sword, and other PC games which play better on the PS3, or even 360. Not to mention great games coming out soon such as MGS4, Killzone 2, GT5, DMC4, and Resistance 2, all of which destroy PC's 2008 lineup.

cshwzp

:lol: Resistance 2 vs Battlefield 3? Killzone 2 vs Far Cry 2? :lol:

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts

cshwzp

[Spore and Star Craft 2 let out a chuckle]

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

cshwzp
Thanks for your opinion that ultimately doesn't mean jack. I could care less what games you like, the FACT of the matter is the PC has more exclusives, and the PC has more highly rated titles. End of story.
-Manntis-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 -Manntis-

Although most people do want to play great action packed games like Warhawk, NGS, Heavenly Sword, and other PC games which play better on the PS3, or even 360.

cshwzp

I think I speak for a large amount of people when I say "hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha".

Dynafrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dynafrom
Member since 2003 • 1027 Posts

cshwzp

Oh god.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bebi_vegeta

cshwzp

Ain't DMC4 multiplate, as in it comes also on PC?

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
Damn, I can't believe I wasted so many words on this thread. :? I should had noticed his sig...
ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts
No, the edge is still there
cshwzp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 cshwzp

Crysis is nothing more of a tech demo. The AI is terrible and the multiplayer is just dull. Don't even get me started on the amount of money you must spend to make sure this game is at least playable on your PC. Seriously, just wait till Killzone 2 or Resistance 2 is released and you'll have better games which look just as good and play better. Not to mention how much money you can save by purchasing a PS3 instead of constantly upgrading.

Spore is also going to be on the Wii so you know its bad and Starcraft 2 looks like garbage. The graphics are terrible and overall it looks boring to play.

Zaxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Zaxro
Member since 2007 • 449 Posts
Stop trolling, your sig gives it away.
-Manntis-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -Manntis-

Crysis is nothing more of a tech demo. The AI is terrible and the multiplayer is just dull. Don't even get me started on the amount of money you must spend to make sure this game is at least playable on your PC. Seriously, just wait till Killzone 2 or Resistance 2 is released and you'll have better games which look just as good and play better. Not to mention how much money you can save by purchasing a PS3 instead of constantly upgrading.

Spore is also going to be on the Wii so you know its bad and Starcraft 2 looks like garbage. The graphics are terrible and overall it looks boring to play.

cshwzp

Now I know you are nothing but a blatant fanboy. If Crysis is so bad, why did it score a 9.5? You mention Killzone 2 and Resistance 2 as if they're going to be the greatest games this gen. Remember the original Killzone AKA "Halo killer"? Or how Resistance would "own" Gears of War? You see where I'm going with this. Starcraft 2 has terrible graphics and looks boring to play? The original Starcraft has terribad graphics and people still play it online 10 years later. It's considered to be the greatest RTS of all time.

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts

:lol: I hope this is a joke thread because you made me laugh VERY hard. If for some god forsaken reason you actually believe the crap you spew out your mouth, then I disagree with you.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bebi_vegeta

cshwzp

So when is the PS3 doing 120fps?

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

-Clumsy Analog Sticks + Plastic Guitars + Gimmicky Motion Control = the reason I will always play NHL, Rock Band, and Mario on console

-Mouse and keyboard + Open Environment + Kick Arse Hobby =the reason I will always play FPS + RTS + MMO + CRPG + Everything Else on PC

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

cshwzp

Wow! :lol::lol::lol:

Twin Blade, is that you?

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

If anything it's gained it.

Consoles back in the day excelled at different genres as well as having support from different high profile developers that you couldn't get on PC.

Today they have the same developers PC's do, same genres, as well as the same features PC do but worse in every way imaginable.

numba1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 numba1234
Member since 2007 • 3561 Posts
The xbox 360 and pc virtually share every fps, but that is basically it. There are more rpg's, rts's, and mmo's coming out on pc.
Chipp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Chipp
Member since 2003 • 1897 Posts

cshwzp

While I'll agree that Crysis isn't the best FPS ever, it isn't what I would call bad either. Its just Far Cry with updated graphics, by no means bad but by no means is it doing something innovative like what Bioshock did. And where is this bad A.I? I thought the A.I was pretty good, but then again A.I is just that Artificial Intelligence and there will always be ways to exploit it. So how is buying a PS3 exactly going to save you money? You have to pay $60 + tax per game and you need to buy accessories and a HDTV so in the end it will come out as more. PC games average $29 each and have a life span that long exceeds that of console games.

Whats interesting about this thread is as always people tend to put every console vs PC which is a single platform. This is because individually there is no way to even prove your argument that the PS3 or 360 is superior to PC. I've said it before and I will say it again. The PS3 and 360 are a poor mans PC, for those who don't have the intelligence to put together and operate a gaming PC. And while you can say PS3 and 360 has better exclusives that the PC, its debatable and the biggest issue is that console games disappear in a twinkle of a eye. While PC games last for years and years as developers and the community adds content to it.

So how does Starcraft2 look garbage btw? Its a RTS and by nature it won't be able to display extrodinary graphics due to the type of game it is. The game looks very good, so here is something for you to do. Find me a RTS on a console that looks better.

Chipp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Chipp
Member since 2003 • 1897 Posts

[QUOTE="cshwzp"]Back in 1998 on consoles the best FPS would be Goldeneye single analog crap that run at 10-15 fps. The only multiplayer option was a pitiful splitscreen. PC gamers were enjoying Quake 2, Half-Life, Counter-Strike, Unreal by that time both in LAN parties and online. PC RPGs were flourishing with games Baldur's Gate, Fallout, Planescape Torment.

It's hard to deny how consoles are literally destroying PC's superiority.mismajor99

-Clumsy Analog Sticks + Plastic Guitars + Gimmicky Motion Control = the reason I will always play NHL, Rock Band, and Mario on console

-Mouse and keyboard + Open Environment + Kick Arse Hobby =the reason I will always play FPS + RTS + MMO + CRPG + Everything Else on PC

You forgot to mention that PCs have the option to use gamepads as well. But for most games it isn't required. And the best part of all is that PC assimilates consoles in time through emulation.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
I don't think PC gaming has lost its edge-it still has mods, superior online support, and more varied input options(KB+M, gamepad, HOTAS, racing wheel, Steel Battalion controller, TrackIR, etc.-you name it, you can probably get it to work on your PC). (I shouldn't even have to play the graphics card, given Crysis and all-and, speaking of Crysis, you can get a system that'll run it on High or Very High 1024x768 for only 1200-1300 US$ or so. Expensive? Yes, but it's certainly not the 2000+ US$ that misguided console fanboys make it out to be. Also, the singleplayer destroys 99% of all FPSs on the market, and the multiplayer isn't bad at all when there aren't cheaters ruining everything.) Also, the PC still has a lot of exclusives from back in the day, as well as the indie titles that hardly get anywhere near as much recognition as the hype-filled, big-budget titles that console gamers pay attention to and soon forget when the hype machine for the next big thing gets rolling. Oh, and you say that most people don't want to read giant manuals to play RPGs, or that most people don't want to take turns moving spacecrafts? Maybe most people don't, but YOU DO NOT REPRESENT ALL OF THE GAMERS ON THIS PLANET. Some people actually like complex games-take the Falcon 4.0 community, for instance, centered around a game whose original release had a manual that came in the from of either a huge, spiral-bound notebook in the boxed version, or a thick binder that comprises the entire sim's packaging! (However, the new Allied Force release has no such huge printed manual in its tiny box, just a .PDF manual on the disc...you'll have to order one from eBay or someplace else.) Believe me, if PC gaming really did lose its edge, I would have taken all the money I have now spent on my new gaming PC and used it to treat myself to both a Xbox 360 and a PS3, with plenty of games and accessories for each. (The Wii isn't included because I already have one.) EDIT:

If anything it's gained it.

Consoles back in the day excelled at different genres as well as having support from different high profile developers that you couldn't get on PC.

Today they have the same developers PC's do, same genres, as well as the same features PC do but worse in every way imaginable.

Gunraidan
Wait a minute-you're SUPPORTING PC gaming now? I recall you saying things like this:
I think we all know that consoles are far superior to PC's in terms of raw power.Gunraidan
I guess my sarcasm meter was broken that time...or maybe it's broken now.
michael098

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 michael098
Member since 2006 • 3441 Posts
Lol no it hasnt...
the1stfandb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 the1stfandb
Member since 2007 • 2397 Posts
[QUOTE="cshwzp"]

Meu2k7

:lol: Resistance 2 vs Battlefield 3? Killzone 2 vs Far Cry 2? :lol:

OWNED

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Relys
Member since 2005 • 4426 Posts
Don't be talking about goldeneye that way... It was epic!
tionmedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tionmedon
Member since 2006 • 468 Posts

my rig cpu:qx6700,2gigs mem,500 gighd,8800gtx768=quad rulz bring it 360

sillybunzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sillybunzz
Member since 2007 • 241 Posts

[QUOTE="cshwzp"](Though hermits will talk about Dual Cores and DX10 something they won't see for another 2 years) -Manntis-

Either I'm misreading this or you're a complete idiot.

Ya, we wont see dx10 for 2 years? News to me.

lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

Crysis 2 will the the Half-Life 2 of this generation .. miles ahead.Meu2k7
Writing something so hideously complex that it requires a pile of hardware shouldn't be mistaken for advanced technology. The real reason why consoles don't have games like Crysis is that no one would pay what a console with that kind of hardware would cost, especially since games have to run well on consoles - the developers can't just say "upgrade or turn down the settings".

The PS2 sold 80% of its install base at $199 - what would Crysis look like on $200 worth of hardware, even a year or two from now?

the1stfandb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 the1stfandb
[QUOTE="cshwzp"]

Ramadear

While I'll agree that Crysis isn't the best FPS ever, it isn't what I would call bad either. Its just Far Cry with updated graphics, by no means bad but by no means is it doing something innovative like what Bioshock did. And where is this bad A.I? I thought the A.I was pretty good, but then again A.I is just that Artificial Intelligence and there will always be ways to exploit it. So how is buying a PS3 exactly going to save you money? You have to pay $60 + tax per game and you need to buy accessories and a HDTV so in the end it will come out as more. PC games average $29 each and have a life span that long exceeds that of console games.

Whats interesting about this thread is as always people tend to put every console vs PC which is a single platform. This is because individually there is no way to even prove your argument that the PS3 or 360 is superior to PC. I've said it before and I will say it again. The PS3 and 360 are a poor mans PC, for those who don't have the intelligence to put together and operate a gaming PC. And while you can say PS3 and 360 has better exclusives that the PC, its debatable and the biggest issue is that console games disappear in a twinkle of a eye. While PC games last for years and years as developers and the community adds content to it.

So how does Starcraft2 look garbage btw? Its a RTS and by nature it won't be able to display extrodinary graphics due to the type of game it is. The game looks very good, so here is something for you to do. Find me a RTS on a console that looks better.

Hey hey poor man's pc???? I play both pc and consoles for a reason, they are very diffrent and if u want the most games u get everything. Unfortunenatly i am poor so I can only afford pc and 360 but thats ok cause i am in highshcool.

SCII = garbage:D:shock:

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Meu2k7
@ Lowel ( HTML errors on quotes again )

Relative how? Half-Life 2 sold well on release, looked ahead of anything on the Consoles by a land slide, and still holds its own today.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
OMG he is right :o what if they stop manufacturing PC's :?. Im pretty sure somebody said the same thing early on last generation, probably just before HL2 came out or something.
lowe0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lowe0
Member since 2004 • 13692 Posts

The PS3 and 360 are a poor mans PC, for those who don't have the intelligence to put together and operate a gaming PC.Ramadear

Really. I'm a Purdue grad and I make my living as a software developer. Still think I don't have the intelligence to spec, assemble, and use a gaming PC, especially since I did so for years before I switched to consoles?

I'm not poor, I'm not dumb, and I game on consoles. That whistling sound you hear is your pathetic argument spiraling down in flames into the ground.

the1stfandb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 the1stfandb
@ Lowel ( HTML errors on quotes again )

Relative how? Half-Life 2 sold well on release, looked ahead of anything on the Consoles by a land slide, and still holds its own today.

Meu2k7

Crysis is not like hl2 because hl2 was not that hard to run but looked better then anything else. Crysis has 1/2 of it down.

sillybunzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 sillybunzz
Member since 2007 • 241 Posts

cshwzp

Just wow.