Pachter says no next gen until 2015

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BURSTIIIFIRE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BURSTIIIFIRE
Member since 2007 • 2025 Posts

Pachter in his new show at Gametrailers says that the next successor of the 360/PS3 won't arrive until at least 2013 (most likely 2015).I don't know how much more the developers can push these consoles for another 4-5 years, because I see them peeking in the next 1-2 years. I could be wrong since I don't know much about their technical aspects but 2015 even 2013 seems really long because PCs are already so far ahead of the consoles in terms of power. So do you guys want this gen to last this long?

LINK

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

I hope so the way the economy is going i dont want to buy another 400 dollars console in the next 2 years

Jamani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Jamani
Member since 2004 • 1782 Posts
Pachter is wrong a lot of times...
Persistantthug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Persistantthug
Member since 2009 • 1420 Posts

Pachter in his new show at Gametrailers says that the next successor of the 360/PS3 won't arrive until at least 2013 (most likely 2015).I don't know how much more the developers can push these consoles for another 4-5 years, because I see them peeking in the next 1-2 years. I could be wrong since I don't know much about their technical aspects but 2015 even 2013 seems really long because PCs are already so far ahead of the consoles in terms of power. So do you guys want this gen to last this long?

LINK

BURSTIIIFIRE

I think PC's are better graphically and technically, but the degree of "better" this generation I believe is more marginal than ever in any of the other previous generations.

I believe a wall has been approached and we are now seeing and getting the "diminishing returns" effect in terms of a "power to graphics ratio" level.

I don't believe these consoles will go all the way to 2015 though. 2013 would be viable though. However, I suspect there will be another major console maker to enter...maybe Apple, maybe Google....maybe someone else.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I myself thought they be out by 2014, but I dont really mind when they come. As long as they have the games I'll buy them.

Funconsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Funconsole
Member since 2009 • 3223 Posts
I agree with Patcher. I hope no new consoles until like halfway through 2015
Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50680 Posts

I wish people would stop giving Pachter attention.

PatchMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 PatchMaster
Member since 2003 • 6013 Posts

My guess is 2014. Nintendo needs to do something sooner though.

DumbDubya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DumbDubya
Member since 2009 • 668 Posts

New consoles won't replace 360 or PS3 for at least 3 years. The hardware in them can handle the software.

The Wii needs a replacement BADLY, but Nintendo won't do anything as long as people buy it, which is smart business for them. If people stop buying the thing, then they will have to replace it with better hardware.

Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#10 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts

Natal and Move will probably have a 3-4 year lifespan depending on their success as platforms. If they do well, then these consoles will probably last another 4 years until 2014-2015 as predicted (after all, four years is only two development cycles; that's only enough time for developers to create one sequel to a successful game launched in, say, 2011 for either peripheral). On the other hand, if they bomb (which would not surprise me), then we may see MS launch their next-gen console as soon as 2012.

akbar13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 akbar13
Member since 2009 • 2186 Posts

New gen in 2012 confirmed!

rickatick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 rickatick
Member since 2009 • 936 Posts

I wish people would stop giving Pachter attention.

Chutebox
pachter knows his stuff and hes likable...
XPierreKirbyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 XPierreKirbyX
Member since 2010 • 101 Posts

[QUOTE="BURSTIIIFIRE"]

LINK

Persistantthug

I think PC's are better graphically and technically, but the degree of "better" this generation I believe is more marginal than ever in any of the other previous generations.

I believe a wall has been approached and we are now seeing and getting the "diminishing returns" effect in terms of a "power to graphics ratio" level.

I don't believe these consoles will go all the way to 2015 though. 2013 would be viable though. However, I suspect there will be another major console maker to enter...maybe Apple, maybe Google....maybe someone else.

Like it or not technology is moving forward and has long surpassed console hardware. On PC's we have DX11, Eyefinity, Nvidia 3D vision, i7, Graphic cards that have more power than your whole console ect. You can't say technological progress in gaming has hit a brick wall, the truth is console gaming has hit a brick wall, while PC still thrives.
mordin-solus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mordin-solus
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Pachter is wrong a lot of times...Jamani
So are you and I. Difference here is that Patcher is expert on subject and has slightly more valid opinion.
110million

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 110million
Member since 2008 • 14910 Posts
[QUOTE="Jamani"]Pachter is wrong a lot of times...mordin-solus
So are you and I. Difference here is that Patcher is expert on subject and has slightly more valid opinion.

Except he is almost never correct..
skinny_man_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#16 skinny_man_69
Member since 2005 • 5147 Posts
[QUOTE="Jamani"]Pachter is wrong a lot of times...mordin-solus

I am looking forward to having Mordin Solus grace our forums :)
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

My guess is 2014. Nintendo needs to do something sooner though.

PatchMaster

why?they are outselling the competition and winning the ps2 should of been stopped but it isnt yet.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Good. The longer this gen lasts, the happier I am.

Silenthps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Silenthps
Member since 2006 • 7302 Posts
I'd say Nintendo: 2012, Sony$oft: 2013
SparkyProtocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#20 SparkyProtocol
Member since 2009 • 7680 Posts
[QUOTE="mordin-solus"][QUOTE="Jamani"]Pachter is wrong a lot of times...skinny_man_69

I am looking forward to having Mordin Solus grace our forums :)

Me too. :) No fanboy comments so far.
jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

I agree with him. Aside from the Wii 2, I don't see the true next generation arriving until late 2013. We're still finding ways to push the 360 and PS3 further and further. I expect a new Xbox before I do a PS most definitely though. The 360 may not have reached its limits quite yet, butit's definitely closer than thePS3 is.When Sony said the PS3 would have lifespan of 10 years, I didn't really believe it until now. While not quite 10 years, I see it lasting until late 2014, with a new Xbox likely releasing a year before that the way it occurred this generation.

Brainhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Brainhunter
Member since 2003 • 2201 Posts
Research and Development Costs are rising, and developers are having a harder time to justify exclusivity towards a single platform due to increasing production costs. Other than Nintendo, both Microsoft and Sony haven't earned enough profit (for Sony, just starting) to justify releasing yet another console, and PC gaming technology is on an upwards curve that seems to keep increasing exponentially that if consoles were to be designed now, they would be behind the times at their release dates. Not to mention that around 2008, we've witnessed the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression of the 1930s. If the game companies jump into next gen as early as 2012, they will be jumping in the middle of an economic recovery, and a lot of consumers are not willing to put up with more expenses, not to mention the costs to adopt new technology (many consumers have yet to upgrade to HDTV and surround sound setups, and you expect them to be ready to buy 3D-ready consoles when 3D televisions are merely still in draft-form and have yet to dominate the market?).
Persistantthug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Persistantthug
Member since 2009 • 1420 Posts

[QUOTE="Persistantthug"]

[QUOTE="BURSTIIIFIRE"]

LINK

XPierreKirbyX

Like it or not technology is moving forward and has long surpassed console hardware. On PC's we have DX11, Eyefinity, Nvidia 3D vision, i7, Graphic cards that have more power than your whole console ect. You can't say technological progress in gaming has hit a brick wall, the truth is console gaming has hit a brick wall, while PC still thrives.

Either you misunderstood or maybe it just hasn't occured to you...

But nothing on the PC thus far is LIGHTYEARS better, lookwise than console games. Yes, it looks better, but nothing like it used to be in previous gens.

To put it in analogous terms, it would be like having the choice of chick A who is hot, and chick B who is hot.

Chick A may be supermodel hot and better than B, but B is a super hot chick already and the majority of people couldn't care to be bothered to pick out the small detailed differences between the two. Why? because both chicks are already smokin hot.

Dumb analogy, but easy to understand.

Instashot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Instashot
Member since 2010 • 665 Posts

But nothing on the PC thus far is LIGHTYEARS better, lookwise than console games. Yes, it looks better, but nothing like it used to be in previous gens.

To put it in analogous terms, it would be like having the choice of chick A who is hot, and chick B who is hot.

Chick A may be supermodel hot and better than B, but B is a super hot chick already and the majority of people couldn't care to be bothered to pick out the small detailed differences between the two. Why? because both chicks are already smokin hot.

Persistantthug

That is because 90% of engines today are made with console limitations in mind.

Crysis 2 will show the true power of the PC but other than thatalot of games are multiplat and need to be made with what consoles can handle.

We are no where near a "wall" in terms of graphics.

DX11 also brings alot to the table and if a native DX11 game is built it will obliterate any game ever made in graphics.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#25 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I think it should be for PS3 and 360. Wait for economy to get back up, and for development costs to lower. Meanwhile, there should be a new Wii in 2010 or 11.

killerfox39967

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 killerfox39967
Member since 2007 • 91 Posts

Pachtersays lots of things......

karsa-orlong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 karsa-orlong
Member since 2009 • 536 Posts

Pachter is wrong a lot of times...Jamani

more like all of the time

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
If true, it could be bad news for consoles if the previous gen are anything to go by. once the consoles run out of power they will turn to pc where they can run their game they way they want. only so much you can do with 512mb total ram when you average pc has around 4gb + 512mgb+ vram. Once all the in dev big consoles games come out I'd be surprised if there is anything big that hits consoles this gen.
imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts

[QUOTE="XPierreKirbyX"][QUOTE="Persistantthug"]

Persistantthug

that's because games are built for consoles. Once games are built for pc with the ability of huge open levels and lots of destruction which the consoles can't handle then you will see a big difference. look at 2004 with games like far cry, there was hardly a consoles game that had anywhere near the scale not to mention graphics that still rival some current games and better physics than just about all new games. It was never ported to consoles since it wasn't possible, it has bigger more open levels than crysis, but with crysis they were to set on having the graphics king and level size was sacrificed. Once they have the power on many pcs We could well see more mass scale pc only games with amazing graphics.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
No way 2012-2013 at the MAX i say.
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

I'm gonna say earliest is late 2012, but most likely 2013. 2015 is a stretch considering 360 and PS3 performance is becoming tapped out, and please save me the CPU debate... ugh.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

[QUOTE="BURSTIIIFIRE"]

LINK

Persistantthug

Its not that a wall has been approached. The tech is there to make games that look better than Crysis but most games are no longer designed for high end pc's. Remember that Crysis isnt an on rails shooter, the scope of the game by itself is much more demanding than most other shooters. Imagine COD built around a GTX285 and a core i7. It would blow Crysis out of the water

Why cant the consoles go until 2015? MS and Sony will make more continuing support of current gen than launching new consoles. Also the devs and publishers will make more by not having to improve graphics and not having learn to program for a new console.

All Microsoft has to do is release their next console before Sony. MS has the means to drop a new console anytime they want, Sony doesnt.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

Persistantthug

Seriously man consoles are light years behind PC.

Some facts:

resolution (2.5X - 3.8X better than consoles)

PC
1920x1200 - 2304000 pixels

consoles
1280x720 - 921600 pixels
1024x600 - 614400 pixels

fps (2.5x better than consoles)

PC
60fps

consoles
25fps

anti aliasing (2.0x better than consoles)

PC
4xAA 8xAA

consoles
0xAA 2xAA

texture resolution (4.0x better than consoles)

PC
2048x2048(or even 4096x4096) + anisotropic filtering 16xAF

consoles
1024x1024(or even 512x512) + anisotropic filtering 0xAF

Also PC games have much better: shades, lighting, shadow(shadow-map, shadow
filtering), view distance, physics, geometric detail, parallax mapping, volumetric
stuff, ambient occlusion etc.

Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
I think Natal and Move launch makes it pretty obvious.
XPierreKirbyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 XPierreKirbyX
Member since 2010 • 101 Posts

Persistantthug

My PC is light years away from your 200$ console rest assured. Not many games make full use of it though, but still PC games look and run way better than console games.
mgkennedy5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 mgkennedy5
Member since 2005 • 1501 Posts
That would be awesome if this gen lasted a long time! I would rather have awesome games with peaked consoles than have to fork over a lot more money for a new console
VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

Good. The longer this gen lasts, the happier I am.

Vari3ty

Same with me. Money is just too tight these days and with firmware updates often it keeps things up to date pretty well. Graphics are fine along with everything this gen..."besides 360 hardware:)"..

darthogre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 darthogre
Member since 2006 • 5082 Posts
lol, just last year he was saying the new consoles would be announced by 2011 and released by 2012. Sure, I'll believe him this time......he has to get it right eventually............I mean so far he has guess from 2011 through 2015. May as well just say before 2020 that way he covers all his bases. How does this guy have a job?
PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#39 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts

2015 is too long :|

As much as im loving this gen, i want next gen consoles like 2012/2013.

ValerianRoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ValerianRoot
Member since 2010 • 107 Posts

Persistantthug

Hardware =/= Software

Also, playing a game at 2560x1600 with filtering is always better than console gaming at sub-HD.

lusitanogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 lusitanogamer
Member since 2006 • 9338 Posts

This is one of the few times i agree with Pachter. I don't think we'll see new consoles from Sony and MS soon. The release of Natal and Move are pretty good indications that they want this generation to last a lot longer. Frankly, i don't mind. As long as they keep releasing great games, it's fine by me.

tutt3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tutt3r
Member since 2005 • 2865 Posts

2012 world ends, no more consoles

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
I hope for once Patcher is correct.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
I can see the PS3 and 360 going until 2015 quite easily. It's the Wii I'm worried about.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#45 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Analysts, as a general rule of thumb I ignore them.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
[QUOTE="PAL360"]

2015 is too long :|

As much as im loving this gen, i want next gen consoles like 2012/2013.

So eager to plunk down another 400 bucks for a new console? Not me.
Darth_DuMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Darth_DuMas
Member since 2006 • 2687 Posts

I hope not, I will want to move on to some new tech before then. I'm still guessing a 2012 launch.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
If true, it could be bad news for consoles if the previous gen are anything to go by. once the consoles run out of power they will turn to pc where they can run their game they way they want. only so much you can do with 512mb total ram when you average pc has around 4gb + 512mgb+ vram. Once all the in dev big consoles games come out I'd be surprised if there is anything big that hits consoles this gen. imprezawrx500
What makes you think the average joe knows any of this? I don't know how PC gaming was in the past but I dooubt it has become much more simpler now than it was before. People buy consoles for their simplicity and relatively cheap prices, they're not going to pull a 180 and move onto a much more complex and expensive system just because console games have peaked.
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
If Pachter says so, I expect the next gen to start next year.
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
I don't know how PC gaming was in the past but I dooubt it has become much more simpler now than it was before.Rockman999
Oh, it has. I doubt that the majority of PC gamers nowadays could even start a DOS game.