Over 1.56 billion consoles have been sold to date! Europe still a Sony stronghold

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

https://learnbonds.com/news/over-1.56-billion-game-consoles-sold-globally-with-ps2-remaining-dominant/

Wow, the PS2 is still at the top after all these years. The DS is dangerously close. And then Gameboy, PS4, and PS1 to round out the top 5. Only the 360 has been able to crack the top 10 from the Microsoft side. And then if you look at the second chart, PS4 vs PS2 shows that Europe is still a Sony stronghold. North America is a strong market for Sony as well, but Microsoft took some market share. What do you think, SW? Will the PS5 widen the lead for Sony, or will Microsoft have a chance to take more of the market next gen? Or will Nintendo just destroy everyone lol.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

Europeans sure love their Fifa.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BenjaminBanklin  Online
Member since 2004 • 11086 Posts

Dreamcast was that low? I thought it sold closer to 10 million, not that it would have made a big difference by any means.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@BenjaminBanklin: I'm really surprised by that also, guess I never looked up those numbers before but I always just assumed it was much higher.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#5 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

The Gameboy figure is bullshit. Nintendo counted both Gameboy and Gameboy Color in the same family. Its bullshit because Gameboy can't play Gameboy Color library save for few compatible titles.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Juub1990
@sakaixx said:

The Gameboy figure is bullshit. Nintendo counted both Gameboy and Gameboy Color in the same family. Its bullshit because Gameboy can't play Gameboy Color library save for few compatible titles.

The exact opposite though. There's only a handful of Game Boy Color-only games. 90% of the library is playable on both.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VFighter

@sakaixx: I know right, it still tears me apart and puts me in a rage that they do this even to this day!!!

That's sarcasm by the way.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

What's their source for these numbers? I see a number of them that are suspect. For example, a quick google search suggests their WW DC figure is actually WW sales MINUS Japan sales (are the other sites wrong, or is this one?); similarly, MS hasn't released any recent X1 figures that I'm aware of and the whole PS3 vs 360 thing is still a matter of debate for similar non-transparency reasons

Not that that changes the overall story really - what's a few million here or there out of 1.56 billion? But I still wonder about how much this is just cobbled together "guestimates" in a number of cases

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

yup the fifa console bundles are something over here

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online

@xantufrog said:

What's their source for these numbers? I see a number of them that are suspect. For example, a quick google search suggests their WW DC figure is actually WW sales MINUS Japan sales (are the other sites wrong, or is this one?); similarly, MS hasn't released any recent X1 figures that I'm aware of and the whole PS3 vs 360 thing is still a matter of debate for similar non-transparency reasons

Not that that changes the overall story really - what's a few million here or there out of 1.56 billion? But I still wonder about how much this is just cobbled together "guestimates" in a number of cases

Yea, as far as accuracy, some of these look like estimates as you pointed out. Most of them are pretty accurate though as far as I can tell. We know that PS4 hit 110 million. We know PS2 was in the 155 million range. Nintendo has sales on their website, see link below.

PS4 sales: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-lifetime-sales-top-110-million-and-digital-sal/1100-6477214/

PS2 sales: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_2_sales

Nintendo sales can be found here: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#11 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Quite sure the DC is ten mil short.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidGame_basic  Online

@Random_Matt said:

You mean DC sold 20 million? I never heard that before. I've always thought it was in the ballpark of 10 million total. Wikipedia has it at 9.13 million.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-642321fb121ca

@SolidGame_basic said:
@Random_Matt said:

You mean DC sold 20 million? I never heard that before. I've always thought it was in the ballpark of 10 million total. Wikipedia has it at 9.13 million.

Thought it got to 18m or something, clearly wrong.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 VFighter

@xantufrog: PS3 outselling the 360 isnt out for debate, it did. I know Xbox fanboys hate that fact, but it is what it is.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

@sakaixx: kind of like the PS2 and how is was marketed as a DVD player.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts

@Random_Matt said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@Random_Matt said:

Do you have a source for that claim? Every place I checked, at worst 8 mil at best 9 million. None above 10.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I don't see why handhelds are counted as consoles. To me, a console is a gaming system that connects to a TV or monitor. Only Switch matches that definition while still being a handheld.

That said, the numbers are pretty impressive. But yeah... I thought Dreamcast breached the 10 million mark as well. Interesting.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BenjaminBanklin  Online
Member since 2004 • 11086 Posts

@Telekill said:

I don't see why handhelds are counted as consoles. To me, a console is a gaming system that connects to a TV or monitor. Only Switch matches that definition while still being a handheld.

That said, the numbers are pretty impressive. But yeah... I thought Dreamcast breached the 10 million mark as well. Interesting.

Yeah, if you take out handhelds, then Playstation consoles rule the top five. Switch is on its way though, but should it be counted as a handheld or a console? It's an anomaly all its own.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-642321fb121ca

@virusvaccine21 said:
@Random_Matt said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@Random_Matt said:

Do you have a source for that claim? Every place I checked, at worst 8 mil at best 9 million. None above 10.

Must of imagined it, lol

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Juub1990
@Telekill said:

Because they are dedicated gaming devices? They are handheld CONSOLES. The others are home CONSOLES.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#21 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts
@Juub1990 said:

Europeans love football (the real football, not handegg). Hence why Europeans love football video games. Over the past decade, FIFA has monopolized the football video game market in Europe, thanks to Konami fucking-up its only real competitor, the PES franchise. PES still has the superior gameplay, but Konami cheaped-out on the licenses and now PES just can't compete in sales.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@vfighter: firstly, I have never seen an official source on that.

That being said, I have no reason to doubt it - my point is where exactly are those numbers coming from (see "firstly" above)

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sakaiXx

@Juub1990 said:
@sakaixx said:

The exact opposite though. There's only a handful of Game Boy Color-only games. 90% of the library is playable on both.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Game_Boy_Color_games

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sakaiXx
@wiiboxstation said:

unlucky it sold 1.5billion software for a dvd player.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Juub1990
@sakaixx said:

Did you bother looking? This list has Pokemon Gold and Silver which are both available for the original Game Boy. What you want is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Game_Boy_Color-only_games

113 games out of a library of over 1,000 games.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sakaiXx

@Juub1990 said:
@sakaixx said:

Did you bother looking? This list has Pokemon Gold and Silver which are both available for the original Game Boy. What you want is this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Game_Boy_Color-only_games

113 games out of a library of over 1,000 games.

What I give is far more accurate and all games that is released during gameboy color lifetime.

Incase you didn't read it through, pokemon silver and gold is shown as "yes" meaning backwards compatible while the "no" meant Gameboy cannot play the title.

Also for that list you give me in case you random share and didn't read, it show Gameboy color "only" game and not ports or multplatform games from arcade or sega or wanderswan games or from anywhere else.

Here is comparison from your shared article to more recent xbox one "only" games. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Xbox_One-only_games

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#27 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

@sakaixx: GB and GBC are counted together for the same reason that PS4 and PS4P are counted together.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sakaiXx

@Jag85: LOL no. Many GBC games cannot be played on GB. All PS4P games is playable on PS4.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Juub1990
@sakaixx said:

What I give is far more accurate and all games that is released during gameboy color lifetime.

Incase you didn't read it through, pokemon silver and gold is shown as "yes" meaning backwards compatible while the "no" meant Gameboy cannot play the title.

Also for that list you give me in case you random share and didn't read, it show Gameboy color "only" game and not ports or multplatform games from arcade or sega or wanderswan games or from anywhere else.

Here is comparison from your shared article to more recent xbox one "only" games. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Xbox_One-only_games

There are roughly 200 backwards compatible games and that's ignorang the other games that got an GBC-only version. Point is the vast majority of their library is cross-compatible which is why they count as a single platform.

You said this:

save for few compatible titles.

Which is false. Most titles are playable on both consoles.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

@sakaixx: and it also sold millions of 'consoles' because it was the cheapest DVD player around.

I'm not so sure how this counts for you but the Gameboy and the Gameboy color sales don't count. All of their sales were due to games not movies.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sakaiXx

@Juub1990 said:
@sakaixx said:

There are roughly 200 backwards compatible games and that's ignorang the other games that got an GBC-only version. Point is the vast majority of their library is cross-compatible which is why they count as a single platform.

You said this:

save for few compatible titles.

Which is false. Most titles are playable on both consoles.

Sure wrong wording. What I am trying to say is many GBC games are not compatible with GB.

I disagree with that. Some 400 games at least based on list I gave you is not playable on GB. Huge library of GBC only titles.

If its like that, I do hope you consider Xbox Series X as within same family as Xbox one right now due to cross compatibility of its games as touted by MS.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sakaiXx

@wiiboxstation: yeah and PS2 still sold 157 million unit. Even 3DS can play netflix.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7165 Posts

@sakaixx said:
@wiiboxstation said:

unlucky it sold 1.5billion software for a dvd player.

and the same thing they say about the ps3 selling that much is because it was marketed as a blu-ray player lol.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#34 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

Wait... Wii U outsold the Dreamcast? I thought it was about the same.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

@vfighter: ...and yet here people are debating it, not that anybody but Cows care which console sold 1m more than the other.

Star67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#36 Star67
Member since 2005 • 5168 Posts

@virusvaccine21 said:
@Random_Matt said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@Random_Matt said:

I saw on some Youtube documentary about the dreamcast that there could be around 10 million or so Dreamcasts out in the wild, because of warehouse dumps of remaining units that went unsold. So official sold count is between 9-10 million with some units being released as new old stock.

Either way dreamcasts are starting to dry up in the wild. They are getting harder and harder to find.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11272 Posts

Hilarious that PS3 actually ended up winning the war against the 360 lol.