Outdated game mechanics that SHOULD NOT be in current gen games.

• 128 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheElfChild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheElfChild
Member since 2009 • 1182 Posts

There are some things that people have found annoying for ages, and yet we still occasionally see them in current gen games.

What are they?

I'll start with Unskippable Cutscenes. I don't know why this problem still persists - not everyone wants to watch the cutscenes even on the first playthrough, and it really takes away from replay value for me - just because I don't want to sit through them again and again.

Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts
yeah i agree with unskippable cutscenes. respawning enemies, we have the technology to render 100's of people at once lets use it.
Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12396 Posts
Resident Evil 5 Controls. There still good but they could of been so much better.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Save game blocks/limited game saves/save points

Boss battles.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Boss battles.

Boss battles?
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

Savegame nodes.

I love boss fights.

Silent-Hal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Silent-Hal
Member since 2007 • 9795 Posts

Unskippable cutscenes
Save points
Having to hold a button down to run
Not being able to aim and move at the same time
Random battles in RPGs
Fixed camera angles
Respawning enemies
Mini-games
Quick-time events
Backtracking

There's more I probably haven't thought of, but those are my main niggles.

Mckenna1845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mckenna1845
Member since 2005 • 4410 Posts

Boss battles?IronBass

exactly i don't know how you would have an end game in alot of games without a boss battle.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

Boss battles.

heretrix

What are you on about Heretix? Boss battles are freaking awesome! Its like in music or movies...you need to have a climax, a crescendo and the Boss fight is the climax. Games without any boss fights would seem rather stale and boring. There is a greater feeling of accomplishment in killing a boss than killing 100 generic foes. Boss fights are like tests at the end of the school year. They see if you've learned anything while playing the game and ask you to apply your knowledge so far in one epic battle. As for limited save points, it really depends on the type of game. If Killzone 2 had an quick save feature, it would get abused. The game would be too easy and beating it in Elite would mean nothing. Limited save points make for a more challenging game rather than the PC "Trial and Error without consequences" system where you can just beat the game through brute force. Also, from what I hear, a game like Demon Souls would be completely killed by a quick save/save anytime feature. Limited save points force you to think before you act.

bingbaocao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bingbaocao
Member since 2009 • 1852 Posts
quick time events
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 II_Seraphim_II
quick time eventsbingbaocao
They are good in moderation and when they are optional, like in GoW games.
thegoldenpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 thegoldenpoo
Member since 2005 • 5136 Posts
Random Battles, Tedious turn based combat in when a real time system could be better, Card battle mini games. Fixed camera. Time wasting repeating levels. Kill X generic easy monsters in location Y to advance. Wait a minute.... did i just describe just about every FF/ JRPG game :?
bingbaocao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bingbaocao
[QUOTE="bingbaocao"]quick time eventsII_Seraphim_II

almost everything that's been mentioned here can be good when used in moderation
clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts
FF gameplay GTA no quicksave
bingbaocao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bingbaocao
Tedious turn based combat in when a real time system could be better, thegoldenpoo
when it comes to JRPGS turn based combat is much better then real time as far as i'm concerned
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 heretrix

[QUOTE="IronBass"]

Boss battles?Mckenna1845

exactly i don't know how you would have an end game in alot of games without a boss battle.

And there lies the problem. You wonder why so many games feel the same? Because they are all locked in the "Play level, at end of level, lock room fight boss, repeat, but add a mini boss every odd level"

It's really dull. You'd think that at this point in time the framework of games would evolve just a bit more to where they could make a game interesting enough to where it actually isn't needed. People got pissed off at Splinter Cell because there aren't any "true" boss battles in it. I liked it for PRECISELY that reason. It's like multiplayer, it isn't always necessary.

While I don't think they should be completely eliminated from games, I'm just tired of the usual asinine boss battles most games arbitrarily put you through. Most of them are badly designed and completely unfair and while they absolutely can be beaten, I get no enjoyment out of defeating them, just relief that this assy part of the game is freaking over.

Erik_Lensherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Erik_Lensherr
Member since 2008 • 1340 Posts

Yah I'm so tired of being able to jump in games seems so old school

clembo1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 clembo1990
Member since 2005 • 9976 Posts

[QUOTE="Mckenna1845"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"]

Boss battles?heretrix

And there lies the problem. You wonder why so many games feel the same? Because they are all locked in the "Play level, at end of level, lock room fight boss, repeat, but add a mini boss every odd level"

It's really dull. You'd think that at this point in time the framework of games would evolve just a bit more to where they could make a game interesting enough to where it actually isn't needed. People got pissed off at Splinter Cell because there aren't any "true" boss battles in it. I liked it for PRECISELY that reason. It's like multiplayer, it isn't always necessary.

While I don't think they should be completely eliminated from games, I'm just tired of the usual asinine boss battles most games arbitrarily put you through. Most of them are badly designed and completely unfair and while they absolutely can be beaten, I get no enjoyment out of defeating them, just relief that this assy part of the game is freaking over.

Ninja Gaiden agrees. There was one at the beginning that was quite cool but overall I was more "wtf" than "omg awesomez"
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 II_Seraphim_II
[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"][QUOTE="bingbaocao"]quick time eventsbingbaocao

almost everything that's been mentioned here can be good when used in moderation

I dunno...unskippable cutscenes are always bad, as are limited save game spots :P
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

I have no problem with save points as long as they are placed well throughout the game and the game is well paced. A mnechanic I would actually like to see though is some kind of reminder as to where you should be going when you don't play a game for a while. Nothing worse than running around for an hour trying to figure out where you just left off. Oh and I guess I hate unskippable cut scenes too.

Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

[QUOTE="bingbaocao"][QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] They are good in moderation and when they are optional, like in GoW games.II_Seraphim_II

I dunno...unskippable cutscenes are always bad, as are limited save game spots :P

Apart from those two, he's sort of right though :)

bingbaocao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 bingbaocao
[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"][QUOTE="bingbaocao"][QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] They are good in moderation and when they are optional, like in GoW games.

hence the word "almost"
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Boss battles.

II_Seraphim_II

What are you on about Heretix? Boss battles are freaking awesome! Its like in music or movies...you need to have a climax, a crescendo and the Boss fight is the climax. Games without any boss fights would seem rather stale and boring. There is a greater feeling of accomplishment in killing a boss than killing 100 generic foes. Boss fights are like tests at the end of the school year. They see if you've learned anything while playing the game and ask you to apply your knowledge so far in one epic battle. As for limited save points, it really depends on the type of game. If Killzone 2 had an quick save feature, it would get abused. The game would be too easy and beating it in Elite would mean nothing. Limited save points make for a more challenging game rather than the PC "Trial and Error without consequences" system where you can just beat the game through brute force. Also, from what I hear, a game like Demon Souls would be completely killed by a quick save/save anytime feature. Limited save points force you to think before you act.

I don't want to be 'forced" to do anything. When you have to force people to act a certain way rather than it happening naturally, then there is a fundamental flaw in the design of the game. as for Boss battles, I answered that above.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

[QUOTE="Mckenna1845"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"]

Boss battles?heretrix

Bingo, critical and analitical thinking for the win. I completely understand and I agree with you.
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts

[QUOTE="Mckenna1845"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"]

Boss battles?heretrix

That is no reasoning to prove it is an outdated gaming mechanic, just one you don't really care for. Regardless, getting rid of boss battles is a bit extreme to add more variety to games, don't you think?
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="Mckenna1845"] exactly i don't know how you would have an end game in alot of games without a boss battle.

Salt_The_Fries

Bingo, critical and analitical thinking for the win. I completely understand and I agree with you.

Why thank you very much. Admittedly I should have explained why I put boss battles there in the first place.

Just look at a game like Uncharted. I thought that game was absolutely fantastic. As far as I remember it didn't have any real bos fights until the very end of the game and that was the one thing that brought the game down a bit in my opinion. They did a damn good job of moving the story along and keeping it interesting.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 II_Seraphim_II

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"]

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

Boss battles.

heretrix

I don't want to be 'forced" to do anything. When you have to force people to act a certain way rather than it happening naturally, then there is a fundamental flaw in the design of the game. as for Boss battles, I answered that above.

Thats kind of a broken way to think about it. So if you buy an RTS and you are forced to micro-manage rather than just go out guns blazing in FPS mode thats an inherent flaw of the game? The people who make the games make them for a certain reason. For instance, many people say Demon Souls is hard as hell. If you are a guy who enjoys playing WiiSports and other easy going games, then its not the devs fault that the game is too hard for you. Its your fault for not getting enough info on the game. Some devs don't want their games to be easy snoozefests which hold your hand the whole way through, if you don't like that, then you arent in the target audience and should skip the game :?
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="Mckenna1845"] exactly i don't know how you would have an end game in alot of games without a boss battle.

rolo107

That is no reasoning to prove it is an outdated gaming mechanic, just one you don't really care for. Regardless, getting rid of boss battles is a bit extreme to add more variety to games, don't you think?

Absolutely not. And I didn't know proof was necessary.

And I said that I don't think they should be completely eliminated from games.I just think that there should be more ways to transition from one area to another.

redbaron3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 redbaron3
Member since 2004 • 984 Posts
Jumping in FPS games, sure its good for most games like UT series or other run and guns but other games that are trying to have the game in a realistic environment an non sci-fi like COD series doesn't really need jumping, rather than jumping they should expand upon the climb feature where you hold a button and your character climbs over the small wall. games relying on checkpoints- its 2009 PC games have had quicksave for more than 10 years now yet some games still come out today using annoying checkpoint saves.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 II_Seraphim_II
This thread is confusing. Some people are stating certain aspects that are still very well done in games today. For instance Boss fights can still be very entertaining (as in MGS4) but they can also be bad. That doesnt mean they SHOULD NOT be in current gen games, it just means they should be done well. Things like unskippable cutscenes are ALWAYS bad. but the other things like QTE and Boss fights are only bad if badly implemented, so its not the feature itself thats bad, but the way its used. I know I would be very dissapointed if GoW3 didnt have Boss Fights and QTEs because so far they have been amazingly well done.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 II_Seraphim_II
[QUOTE="redbaron3"]Jumping in FPS games, sure its good for most games like UT series or other run and guns but other games that are trying to have the game in a realistic environment an non sci-fi like COD series doesn't really need jumping, rather than jumping they should expand upon the climb feature where you hold a button and your character climbs over the small wall. games relying on checkpoints- its 2009 PC games have had quicksave for more than 10 years now yet some games still come out today using annoying checkpoint saves.

Like I said above, I've noticed that a lot of PC gamers use the "brute force" tactic of beating games. Just save every 2 seconds and run into the wall till it breaks down. Now that might be great for PC games, but maybe some devs actually want their gamers to have some skill, so they place checkpoints at certain points. And quick saving isnt as streamlined as on PC where you just tap F5. On consoles you would have to pause, click save, confirm, wait and them click ok then presss pause again thus breaking the flow of the game.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] What are you on about Heretix? Boss battles are freaking awesome! Its like in music or movies...you need to have a climax, a crescendo and the Boss fight is the climax. Games without any boss fights would seem rather stale and boring. There is a greater feeling of accomplishment in killing a boss than killing 100 generic foes. Boss fights are like tests at the end of the school year. They see if you've learned anything while playing the game and ask you to apply your knowledge so far in one epic battle. As for limited save points, it really depends on the type of game. If Killzone 2 had an quick save feature, it would get abused. The game would be too easy and beating it in Elite would mean nothing. Limited save points make for a more challenging game rather than the PC "Trial and Error without consequences" system where you can just beat the game through brute force. Also, from what I hear, a game like Demon Souls would be completely killed by a quick save/save anytime feature. Limited save points force you to think before you act.

II_Seraphim_II

Thats kind of a broken way to think about it. So if you buy an RTS and you are forced to micro-manage rather than just go out guns blazing in FPS mode thats an inherent flaw of the game? The people who make the games make them for a certain reason. For instance, many people say Demon Souls is hard as hell. If you are a guy who enjoys playing WiiSports and other easy going games, then its not the devs fault that the game is too hard for you. Its your fault for not getting enough info on the game. Some devs don't want their games to be easy snoozefests which hold your hand the whole way through, if you don't like that, then you arent in the target audience and should skip the game :?

RTSs don't always force you to micromanage. Play Dawn of War 2 and a few other recent RTSs and get back to me ok? What's broken is if you have to gimp a certain game function/mechanic to make a player feel a certain way. I see so many people making excuses for this BS.

"lets limit the camera view and make the character move like a soggy brick. That will make them scared when the Zombies come out"

Um, how about making a truly scary situation instead of trying to trick me into being scared because I got crap being thrown at me from all directions, and I can't move?

jonnyt61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jonnyt61
Member since 2003 • 2147 Posts
I
Random Battles, Tedious turn based combat in when a real time system could be better, Card battle mini games. Fixed camera. Time wasting repeating levels. Kill X generic easy monsters in location Y to advance. Wait a minute.... did i just describe just about every FF/ JRPG game :?thegoldenpoo
Here's a question. Do you like JRPG games? If so, then fair enough. If not, then why on earth are you trying to change something you don't like, to suit you?
ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

This thread is confusing. Some people are stating certain aspects that are still very well done in games today. For instance Boss fights can still be very entertaining (as in MGS4) but they can also be bad. That doesnt mean they SHOULD NOT be in current gen games, it just means they should be done well. Things like unskippable cutscenes are ALWAYS bad. but the other things like QTE and Boss fights are only bad if badly implemented, so its not the feature itself thats bad, but the way its used. I know I would be very dissapointed if GoW3 didnt have Boss Fights and QTEs because so far they have been amazingly well done.II_Seraphim_II

But that's your opinion on the matter. I absolutely have had enough QTE, its too much now. As far as I'm concerned they are becoming annoying because it becomes tap a button to do ridiculous acrobatic that they couldn't let you do in normal gameplay. Boss battles are something that I don't really care about, I like them but I get heterix's point to. If they suck, it ruins the game plain and simple and they do suck most of the time. But even then, how many elements in games are always bad?

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 heretrix

[QUOTE="redbaron3"]Jumping in FPS games, sure its good for most games like UT series or other run and guns but other games that are trying to have the game in a realistic environment an non sci-fi like COD series doesn't really need jumping, rather than jumping they should expand upon the climb feature where you hold a button and your character climbs over the small wall. games relying on checkpoints- its 2009 PC games have had quicksave for more than 10 years now yet some games still come out today using annoying checkpoint saves.II_Seraphim_II
Like I said above, I've noticed that a lot of PC gamers use the "brute force" tactic of beating games. Just save every 2 seconds and run into the wall till it breaks down. Now that might be great for PC games, but maybe some devs actually want their gamers to have some skill, so they place checkpoints at certain points. And quick saving isnt as streamlined as on PC where you just tap F5. On consoles you would have to pause, click save, confirm, wait and them click ok then presss pause again thus breaking the flow of the game.

I don't need a developer telling me when I should stop playing their game. Design better games and stop putting the burden of bad game design on the players. If I'm playing a game for an hour and I have to suddenly get up and do something I would like to be able to save my damn game without losing an hour of playtime. That's annoying as hell.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 II_Seraphim_II

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"][QUOTE="redbaron3"]Jumping in FPS games, sure its good for most games like UT series or other run and guns but other games that are trying to have the game in a realistic environment an non sci-fi like COD series doesn't really need jumping, rather than jumping they should expand upon the climb feature where you hold a button and your character climbs over the small wall. games relying on checkpoints- its 2009 PC games have had quicksave for more than 10 years now yet some games still come out today using annoying checkpoint saves.heretrix

I don't need a developer telling me when I should stop playing their game. Design better games and stop putting the burden of bad game design on the players. If I'm playing a game for an hour and I have to suddenly get up and do something I would like to be able to save my damn game without losing an hour of playtime. That's annoying as hell.

Maybe its just you? I mean people love God of War and buy it and enjoy it and it gets rave reviews. If you dont like it, don't buy it. Some devs are making games with QTEs and Boss battles and regardless of what a great customer you are, they arent going to change their winning formula. Like I said, if you don't like it, then you probably arent in the target audience. If you really need quick saves, ditch consoles and start playing PC, its really that simple. If I hate MMOs im not gonna go out and buy WoW. If I hate the mouse and keyboard set up, im not going to go out and buy PC games. With most games being multiplat nowadays, its easier for you to select which platform you want it for. If you really need quicksaves, get the PC version.
navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17467 Posts

Unskippable cutscenes
Save points
Random battles in RPGs
Fixed camera angles
Respawning enemies
Mini-games
Quick-time events
Backtracking

Silent-Hal

OMG, im with you on the random battles in RPGs, and i JUST started playing them lol. That crap is annoying, it made me sell Lost Odyssey!! Are there any JRPGs without them?? Also dont like respawing enemies, or overused quicktime events.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] What are you on about Heretix? Boss battles are freaking awesome! Its like in music or movies...you need to have a climax, a crescendo and the Boss fight is the climax. Games without any boss fights would seem rather stale and boring. There is a greater feeling of accomplishment in killing a boss than killing 100 generic foes. Boss fights are like tests at the end of the school year. They see if you've learned anything while playing the game and ask you to apply your knowledge so far in one epic battle. As for limited save points, it really depends on the type of game. If Killzone 2 had an quick save feature, it would get abused. The game would be too easy and beating it in Elite would mean nothing. Limited save points make for a more challenging game rather than the PC "Trial and Error without consequences" system where you can just beat the game through brute force. Also, from what I hear, a game like Demon Souls would be completely killed by a quick save/save anytime feature. Limited save points force you to think before you act.

II_Seraphim_II

Well, if the game would defamiliarise itself from vast majority of games that contain boss battles by removing them and giving enough variety in gameplay, you would have not think about it as a game, because it would not force you to except some certain set-pieces that are staple of most games, nothing would be certain and you would be aching to explore what could it surprise you with, and thus it would transcend the convention of video game itself, and it would become a more streamlined experience. I don't know if I made sense to you.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 heretrix

[QUOTE="Silent-Hal"]

Unskippable cutscenes
Save points
Random battles in RPGs
Fixed camera angles
Respawning enemies
Mini-games
Quick-time events
Backtracking

navyguy21

OMG, im with you on the random battles in RPGs, and i JUST started playing them lol. That crap is annoying, it made me sell Lost Odyssey!! Are there any JRPGs without them?? Also dont like respawing enemies, or overused quicktime events.

FF 12 doesn't have random battles. I dug that quite a bit.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 II_Seraphim_II

[QUOTE="Silent-Hal"]

Unskippable cutscenes
Save points
Random battles in RPGs
Fixed camera angles
Respawning enemies
Mini-games
Quick-time events
Backtracking

navyguy21

Chrono Trigger doesnt have random battles same with FFXII

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 navyguy21

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]

[QUOTE="Silent-Hal"]

Unskippable cutscenes
Save points
Random battles in RPGs
Fixed camera angles
Respawning enemies
Mini-games
Quick-time events
Backtracking

heretrix

what about blue dragon?? i know people say it sucks lol, but im trying to get into JRPGs, so i need to start somewhere lol :P

bdum_pshhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bdum_pshhh
Member since 2009 • 1456 Posts
[QUOTE="thegoldenpoo"] Tedious turn based combat in when a real time system could be better, bingbaocao
when it comes to JRPGS turn based combat is much better then real time as far as i'm concerned

I have to agree with you, I actually enjoy turn-based combat.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="II_Seraphim_II"] Like I said above, I've noticed that a lot of PC gamers use the "brute force" tactic of beating games. Just save every 2 seconds and run into the wall till it breaks down. Now that might be great for PC games, but maybe some devs actually want their gamers to have some skill, so they place checkpoints at certain points. And quick saving isnt as streamlined as on PC where you just tap F5. On consoles you would have to pause, click save, confirm, wait and them click ok then presss pause again thus breaking the flow of the game.II_Seraphim_II

Maybe its just you? I mean people love God of War and buy it and enjoy it and it gets rave reviews. If you dont like it, don't buy it. Some devs are making games with QTEs and Boss battles and regardless of what a great customer you are, they arent going to change their winning formula. Like I said, if you don't like it, then you probably arent in the target audience. If you really need quick saves, ditch consoles and start playing PC, its really that simple. If I hate MMOs im not gonna go out and buy WoW. If I hate the mouse and keyboard set up, im not going to go out and buy PC games. With most games being multiplat nowadays, its easier for you to select which platform you want it for. If you really need quicksaves, get the PC version.

I don't need a quick save. going into the start menu and clicking on save is just fine.It's not so hard and it doesn't disrupt jack squat. What the video game industry needs is for people to stop making excuses for shoddy gameplay mechanics. I just want to be able to stop when I need to. Some of us have other things to do sometimes and would probably not want to replay an entire secton of the game because a designer couldn't figure out how or refused to design the flow of their game around a reasonable save system.

If the video game industry wants to grow up they better start designing games for people over 15 who have more things to do besides sitting in front of a TV all day.

Dystopian-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dystopian-X
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts

Having to pause the game all the time to bring a menu up. Games must have some sort of quick menu/map and allow the player to switch items/abilities on the go otherwise pause menu only is getting outdated.

Not being able to carry stuff over for second playthroughs. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to do this.

Respawning enemies
Mini-games

Silent-Hal

Respawning enemies is a great thing in action games and if by minigames you mean mandatory ones then I agree, but optional ones are good.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 heretrix

[QUOTE="heretrix"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"] OMG, im with you on the random battles in RPGs, and i JUST started playing them lol. That crap is annoying, it made me sell Lost Odyssey!! Are there any JRPGs without them?? Also dont like respawing enemies, or overused quicktime events.

navyguy21

what about blue dragon?? i know people say it sucks lol, but im trying to get into JRPGs, so i need to start somewhere lol :P

The 360 is the wrong system to try and get into JRPGs with. You should pick up a PS2.

CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

JRPGs...uh no one thing, the whole genre is outdated and needs something new.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

This topic = a bunch of sw users saying anything they don't like is "outdated."

bingbaocao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bingbaocao

hakanakumono
QTE's ARE outdated :evil:
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

bingbaocao

QTE's ARE outdated :evil:

LOL.

They just plain suck.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 navyguy21

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]

[QUOTE="heretrix"]FF 12 doesn't have random battles. I dug that quite a bit.

heretrix

The 360 is the wrong system to try and get into JRPGs with. You should pick up a PS2.

i would, but im kind of spoiled by this gen's graphics, its hard for me to play a PS2 game :P and its very few Xbox games that i play. I might pick up some PS2 JRPGs and play them on my PS3, i have a launch 60g with the emotion engine chip.