on nov. 9 2004, the halo name was destroyed forever...

• 120 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 ninjaxams
Member since 2004 • 7500 Posts
Seriously, WTF gave bungie the idea to turn halo2 into a linear run of the mill shooter. Same thing with halo3. I remember playing halo in 2001 and thinking that was the best FPS I've ever played, or for that matter, will ever play. The game, save for a few repetive levels, was perfect, and should be considered one of the greatest games of all time. Halo2 and 3 however, my god, horrible. I was ready to snap when I played though halo3 a couple months ago, and the ending made me want to slap an orphan. Talk about a serious downgrade in quality from halo all the way down to halo3. And now they want to charge ten bucks for 3 new maps this soon after launch? C'mon, your maps that first shipped with the game were bad enough (by far the worst in the series) now you *****bags want more of my money? psshhhhhhh
ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts
Halo: CE was so amazing:cry:
-Serpahim-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Serpahim-
Member since 2007 • 1627 Posts

Halo: CE was so amazing:cry:ToScA-

yeah it was. Halo2 wasnt half the game Halo 1 was :(

donmohsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 donmohsin
Member since 2003 • 1083 Posts
I have to agree. Halo 2 was the worst sequel to a great game ever. It was so dissapointing. Halo 3 was a little better but still crap.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
I didn't care, and I liked the story in Halo 2 a lot better than in Halo 1.
Madsucktion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Madsucktion
Member since 2003 • 2079 Posts

In reference to your complaint about the quality of maps:

It still amazes me that they won't just re-make some of the more played maps from the old games just for the heck of it. I mean, the maps were already balanced (even if they were super-simplistic), and it can't be that hard to re-skin an old map. If anything TF2 proves that point considering modders had already re-made Mach2 2 weeks after the MP Beta was released.

-Serpahim-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Serpahim-

I didn't care, and I liked the story in Halo 2 a lot better than in Halo 1.mjarantilla

Halo 2....had a story!? :|

deathmasterk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deathmasterk
Member since 2006 • 716 Posts

if halo3 was so terrible why whine about maps that you aint going to buy?

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

[QUOTE="mjarantilla"]I didn't care, and I liked the story in Halo 2 a lot better than in Halo 1.-Serpahim-

It had a better story than Halo 1, that's for damn sure. The main thing it did was it expanded the background of the Covenant in a massive way, turning them from a generic alien enemy force into a real civilization you could care about and wanted to know more about.

Pity the Flood got shafted and turned into a Zerg wannabe. But then again, I've always known that the Flood was nothing more than a gimmick.

Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts

OH MY GOD don't tell me people are goign to come clean about this game NOW! :roll:

The damage has been and can't be fixed.

-Serpahim-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -Serpahim-
[QUOTE="-Serpahim-"]

[QUOTE="mjarantilla"]I didn't care, and I liked the story in Halo 2 a lot better than in Halo 1.mjarantilla

It had a better story than Halo 1, that's for damn sure. The main thing it did was it expanded the background of the Covenant in a massive way, turning them from a generic alien enemy force into a real civilization you could care about and wanted to know more about.

Pity the Flood got shafted and turned into a Zerg wannabe. But then again, I've always known that the Flood was nothing more than a gimmick.

actually now that you explained your reasons, i have to agree with you :D

whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts

Halo 2 gets a lot of undeserved hate around these boards. Its single player component was mediocre at best, but its MP was light years ahead of anything on consoles at the time.

And by the way, people really need to stop calling Halo 2 the worst sequel ever. That title clearly belongs to DMC2. At least Halo 2 was a good game in its own right, unlike the atrocity called DMC2.

loudharley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 loudharley
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts
Halo 2s single player was good but wayyyy to short but the multiplayer was great.Halo 3s single player was pretty good but also kindeve short but the multiplayer was still great.I cant wait til the new maps are released.
Citizen_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Citizen_Zero
Member since 2006 • 1786 Posts
Halo was lacking, H2 was flawed and H3 is broken.
-Serpahim-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 -Serpahim-

Halo 2 gets a lot of undeserved hate around these boards. Its single player component was mediocre at best, but its MP was light years ahead of anything on consoles at the time.

And by the way, people really need to stop calling Halo 2 the worst sequel ever. That title clearly belongs to DMC2. At least Halo 2 was a good game in its own right, unlike the atrocity called DMC2.

whocares4peace

i agree 100% DMC2 was a disgrace...but i think twisted metal 3 and 4 are the more atrocious sequels, or are they considered triquels? quadquels? i dunno...english is too convulted for my likes :P

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

whocares4peace

Halo 2's maps were so much better than Halo 3's. Headlong, Blood Gulch (can't spell the other name), Waterworks, and Relic werea lot more fun since it didn't force players to camp all the time, plus the melee isn't **** up like in Halo 3.

As for the story, Halo 2 was better than both Halos in the series since it explained a lot more in the Covenant side and I felt that the Flood was perfect for Halo 1.

PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

Halo was lacking, H2 was flawed and H3 is broken.Citizen_Zero

No, No, and No!

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ninjaxams

if halo3 was so terrible why whine about maps that you aint going to buy?

deathmasterk
because I think its BS that MS is trying to milk ppl for more subpar maps...
NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts
never owned the first xbox so havent played haloCE. but I liked halo3
ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ninjaxams

[QUOTE="Citizen_Zero"]Halo was lacking, H2 was flawed and H3 is broken.PS3_3DO

No, No, and No!

I'd say halo3 is quite broken on the MP side of things.
Gamingcucumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 Gamingcucumber
Member since 2004 • 5612 Posts

whocares4peace

If Goldeneye or Perfect Dark would have online multiplayer they would still be better.

Avatar image for Maverick_Chaos1
Maverick_Chaos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Maverick_Chaos1
Member since 2007 • 415 Posts

[QUOTE="ToScA-"]Halo: CE was so amazing:cry:-Serpahim-

yeah it was. Halo2 wasnt half the game Halo 1 was :(

No, it was double ;)

osirisomeomi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 osirisomeomi
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts
Halo CE was an amazing FPS. Halo 2 was not. Halo 3 is not.
Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts

Halo an average fps from day one, an over-rated casual sensation and reviewers are still taking it to far.

Zaxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zaxro
Member since 2007 • 449 Posts
Halo 2 is by far the wost of the three. Only thing it did was show how to do online right on consoles.
AdolescentDon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 AdolescentDon
Member since 2005 • 9081 Posts
I think Halo 3 more than made up for Halo 2.
MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#27 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

Seriously, WTF gave bungie the idea to turn halo2 into a linear run of the mill shooter. Same thing with halo3. I remember playing halo in 2001 and thinking that was the best FPS I've ever played, or for that matter, will ever play. The game, save for a few repetive levels, was perfect, and should be considered one of the greatest games of all time. Halo2 and 3 however, my god, horrible. I was ready to snap when I played though halo3 a couple months ago, and the ending made me want to slap an orphan. Talk about a serious downgrade in quality from halo all the way down to halo3. And now they want to charge ten bucks for 3 new maps this soon after launch? C'mon, your maps that first shipped with the game were bad enough (by far the worst in the series) now you *****bags want more of my money? psshhhhhhh
ninjaxams

Problems with your post. The Halo franchise was not "turned" into a mediocre shooter, it was ALWAYS a mediocre shooter. And before playing Halo, what FPS games did you play before that to compare it to?

Aside from a bit of vehicle stuff, it was the same linear gameplay throughout the entire game. And it did not have a "few" repetitive levels, like half the game was regurgitated levels.

Halo had its moments, but it was an average shooter at best with some cool parts to it, and the only reason you probably think it was so great is due to nostalgia, or maybe it was one of the first shooter games you played or something.

I obviously don't get Halo fanboys or don't get the series for that matter, because although I haven't finished Halo 2, the campaign so far has been MUCH better overall than Halo 1. Better story with multiple viewpoints, some variety in the action, and some really interesting levels.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

[QUOTE="Citizen_Zero"]Halo was lacking, H2 was flawed and H3 is broken.PS3_3DO

No, No, and No!

Halo 3 is broken. I've never encountered that much campers in Halo 2 but Halo 3 has tons because the maps feel unbalanced and boring, and the melee is screwed up.

Every game has a flaw and I would agree that Halo 1 was a superb shooter but it did have its flaws such as repetitive level design and poor vehicle control but didn't really affect the as a whole. Halo 2's story was much more improved; however, it backtracked in some levels. It was fun but not as fun as Halo CE. Now Halo 3 was the biggest dissapointment. Nothing has been majorly improved other than Forge and larger enviroments, yet it's laughable that MS would let their biggest game have 640p. Technically, it doesn't hinder the gameplay quality at all butthis is MS's biggest shooter to arrive on the 360.

Not only that but the enemy A.I. was suppose to be smart, yet all they do is runup, hide, etc and the biggest complaint to me is theequipment use that sometimes can be useless for both you and the enemy A.I. It makes no sense that Bungie would allow that in their game. It's also laughable that there is no clan support in Halo 3, which clan support has been on of the biggest things in Halo 2 multiplayer.

Halo 3 is a fun shooter but I feel that ever critic overrated it due to the enourmous hype.

D0013ER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 D0013ER
Member since 2007 • 3765 Posts

Problems with your post. The Halo franchise was not "turned" into a mediocre shooter, it was ALWAYS a mediocre shooter. And before playing Halo, what FPS games did you play before that to compare it to?

Aside from a bit of vehicle stuff, it was the same linear gameplay throughout the entire game. And it did not have a "few" repetitive levels, like half the game was regurgitated levels.

Halo had its moments, but it was an average shooter at best with some cool parts to it, and the only reason you probably think it was so great is due to nostalgia, or maybe it was one of the first shooter games you played or something.

I obviously don't get Halo fanboys or don't get the series for that matter, because although I haven't finished Halo 2, the campaign so far has been MUCH better overall than Halo 1. Better story with multiple viewpoints, some variety in the action, and some really interesting levels.

MyopicCanadian

I feel ya. Just seems like a whole lot of monkey-see, monkey-do here with the whole, "Halo>Halo 2>Halo 3 but I never really liked any of them because they're boring bland generic overrated crap," thing going on. I suppose its cool to hate Halo.

tool_rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tool_rage
Member since 2005 • 756 Posts

ninjaxams

TOTY

Thread of the year.

Halo CE: 9/10

Halo 2: 6/10

Halo 3: 7.5/10

F*** that s****.

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ToScA-

MyopicCanadian

For me personally; FPS games that I was really into.

Unreal Tournament (99)

Unreal

Quake 3

Quake 2

Half-Life

Return To Castle Wolfenstein (din't release before it, but they did release during the same year so..what the heck)

Goldeneye 007

Counter-Strike

Tribes

Perfect Dark

Doom 1 & 2

I was quite the hermit back in the days (will be again as soon as I build myself another new PC), played the above FPS games and a bunch of other games in the same genre or in other genres.

I was brought before Halo: CE, and not being a great fan of console FPS games (except Goldeneye; one of the most addictive games I've ever played) I expected a pretty average game that would have no effect on me playing UT99 and Quake 3 24/7. But guess what, I was proven wrong. Sure, I played the above FPS games before it, yet Halo: CE stand out as the best Single Player FPS I've played to date (and yes I've enjoyed games that came out later, HL2, Far Cry, F.E.A.R.).

I have yet to play Bioshock though, but I believe that will be the game to finaly dethrone it, at least in my particular point of view.

Mediocre? Well, that's your opinion. Mine differs and I thought Halo: CE was a spectacular game. Halo 2 was IMO not really mediocre, but by God was it weak in comparision; really expected more from a story telling point of view; the campaign wasn't as enjoyable at all.

I'm still hooked up on Unreal Tournament 99 by the way. Me and my clan (rYs) just recently won our division in Opencup iCTF over at Clanbase; lovely to see many are still playing this masterpiece to this day. Sadly though, the community has really gone down quality-wise...not like in the old days at all :(

6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 6matt6
Member since 2005 • 9726 Posts

halo 1 had the best campaign.

halo 2 had a bad campaign but amazing story.(best multiplayer)

halo 3 had an ok campaign with a few shinning moments and broken multiplayer with horrible maps.

halo 1 9.7/10

halo 2 9.3/10

halo 3 9/10(online co-op has saved it)

jmorey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#33 jmorey01
Member since 2004 • 2637 Posts

I really liked all the Halo games, I just wished they hadn't messed around with the guns and vehicles in Halo 3, I mean, now I can't even use the turret on the scorpion without having to let the A.I drive.

And the pistol has been downgraded in both halo games, so now it's weaker, and shoots slower in Halo 3, and they took out the zoom :(

mynameisdumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 mynameisdumb
Member since 2003 • 3647 Posts

ninjaxams

A PS3? Oh man, I'm so, so sorry... isn't there another way?!?!?

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ToScA-

I really liked all the Halo games, I just wished they hadn't messed around with the guns and vehicles in Halo 3, I mean, now I can't even use the turret on the scorpion without having to let the A.I drive.

And the pistol has been downgraded in both halo games, so now it's weaker, and shoots slower in Halo 3, and they took out the zoom :(

jmorey01

I think Bungie fiddled a little bit too much with what they considered broken, but really wasn't broken at all.

6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 6matt6

i mean halo 2 was amazing online(apart from a slight inblanace in some weapons), it had great maps. Headlong, waterworks, coag, terminal, relic and the melee system worked.

the halo 3 beta was fine but the tweaks they made after it released has ruined it.

Gamer556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Gamer556
Member since 2006 • 3846 Posts

Halo 2 was a bit of a dissapoiontment, but Halo 3 is a return to glory for the franchise. The campaign was much better, the multiplayer became even more feature rich, and the lesser emphasis on duel wielding was a change for the better.

The only thing that really bothers me is the multiplayer map design. The maps aren't bad, but Halo 2's were much better.

6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 6matt6
[QUOTE="jmorey01"]

ToScA-

I think Bungie fiddled a little bit too much with what they considered broken, but really wasn't broken at all.

i blame the whiney section of the community. you should have seen how they complained about the spartan laser during the beta and i thought it was fine.

mynameisdumb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mynameisdumb
Member since 2003 • 3647 Posts

Here's how I see it. This is my honest opinion, I own and have played all three to death. Except Halo 3 I guess, haven't played it as much as the others yet.

SINGLE PLAYER/CAMPAIGN:
1. Halo
2. Halo 3
3. Halo 2

MULTIPLAYER:

1. Halo 3
2. Halo 2
3. Halo

MULTIPLAYER (for it's time):

1. Halo
2. Halo 3
3. Halo 2

I think Halo has the best single player, as do 99% of the rest of this site. As for multiplayer, it depends on how you look at it. For it's time, I think Halo had the best MP, though I also think that Halo 2's and 3's MP are much better now and overall. I loved H2's MP to death and played for ages (don't know how many days of my life were spent playing Halo 2 lol), although Halo 3's added more features/guns (exe. Forge, equipment) which simply takes the cake and conquers any issues the MP in Halo 3 had (crappy levels, messed up melee system).

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts
halo always sucked in my opinion. which is why im not sure why i bought all three of them....
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Halo 2 wasent that bad.

Still it and the singleplayer aspects of 3 didnt do much for me.

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts

Here's a fact for you.

No one cares what you think.

Just because you didn't like Halo 2 or 3, doesn't change the fact that over 12 million gamers enjoyed both games. ;)

6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 6matt6

Here's a fact for you.

Just because you didn't like Halo 2 or 3, doesn't change the fact that over 12 million gamers enjoyed both games. ;)

XanderZane

no 12 million brought both games, who says they enjoyed it?

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ToScA-
[QUOTE="ToScA-"][QUOTE="jmorey01"]

6matt6

i blame the whiney section of the community. you should have seen how they complained about the spartan laser during the beta and i thought it was fine.

I concur.

Dantheman130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Dantheman130
Member since 2007 • 27 Posts
True Halo:CE was the best SP but I find Halo 2 to be more fun. Mainly because of co-op. Halo:CE online was a lagfest for me but I had so much fun in Halo 2 multiplayer with co-op and versus. Halo 3, although I don't own it, the multiplayer maps weren't so great. The multiplayer felt like an expansion pack.
6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 6matt6

this is why i wished xbox had a mod community.

i would love to play remade versions of headlong, blood gluch, waterworks, relic and my personal fav sidewinder. None of this reinvented crap(like containment and the halo 2 version fo hang em' high both were lackluster compared to the originals).

maybe when i upgrade my PC and halo 3 gets a port in a few years time i may convert.

DuDisNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 DuDisNow
Member since 2007 • 2741 Posts
Halo 2 was dissapointing but it wasn't crap. Look at teh multiplayer as well, it expanded the name.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

Halo: CE was so amazing:cry:ToScA-

It's the best in the series, that's for sure. The fact Halo 3 is one of my favorite shooters to come out this year but I still don't think it could hold a candle up to the first one says a lot.

Halo 2 suffered from many problems, especially the SP campaign, but I still liked it.

ninjaxams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ninjaxams

Here's a fact for you.

XanderZane
never said they did care. for the record I think HL2 and gears are garbage games as well. OMG the broken hearts :(
InfinityMugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 InfinityMugen
Member since 2007 • 3905 Posts
Overreacting much? Halo 2 and Halo 3 I would agree wasnt the leap we were all hoping for, but those games are far from being failures.