OMG!! Kojima is going to make some Muslims really pissed!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

grayfox_2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 grayfox_2k
Member since 2005 • 1901 Posts
according to the 1UP preview i read one of MGS4 locations is "a desolate, bombed-out city of Medina, Saudi Arabia"

do you have any idea what that city is to muslims?

it's a holy city where the grave of their prophet lies... where one of the two holy mosques is built

non-muslims can't enter it!! AAAAAAND it's a "Haram" meaning a place where no acts of war can be sparked at all times.

a place of worship and second in importance to "Makkah" (most important city to muslims)...

this will offend some people...

EDIT: yes i'm a muslim 8)

Medinah Wiki Link

1UP MGS4 Preview

dave003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 dave003
Member since 2005 • 6287 Posts
New York and Russia have both been attacked in MGS games. Why is it suddenly an issue when a Muslim area is targeted? Are you sure this is where it takes place, anyway?
Avatar image for Kritical_Strike
Kritical_Strike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Kritical_Strike
Member since 2006 • 4123 Posts
This could spark another violent protest :o
grayfox_2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 grayfox_2k

New York and Russia have both been attacked in MGS games. Why is it suddenly an issue when a Muslim area is targeted? Are you sure this is where it takes place, anyway?dave003

yeah i'm sure and it's an issue because it's a holy city, much like the Vatican, so it makes no sense that a war would ensue there...

and i'm totally ok if he chose any other Saudi city, he just should've stayed away from Medinah!! that's all

-supercharged-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 -supercharged-
Member since 2006 • 5820 Posts
It's a video game.
jmorey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jmorey01
Member since 2004 • 2637 Posts
Hopefully this doesn't lead to a flood of blogs filled with "killing white zombies only".....
KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
Member since 2006 • 1699 Posts

[QUOTE="-supercharged-"]It's a video game. grayfox_2k

yean and RE5 is "only a video game" still that didn't stop capcom from having a hard time!!

i mean COME ON kojima, JUST PICK ANY OTHER ARABIC/MUSLIM/SAUDI city i really want u to avert a conflict here

whoooo cares. its fictional. nothing is going to happen. calm down.

-supercharged-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -supercharged-
Member since 2006 • 5820 Posts

yean and RE5 is "only a video game" still that didn't stop capcom from having a hard time!!

i mean COME ON kojima, JUST PICK ANY OTHER ARABIC/MUSLIM/SAUDI city i really want u to avert a conflict here

It's just funny how people get all rowled up over a fictioned outscenario

Avatar image for PelekotansDream
PelekotansDream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#11 PelekotansDream
Member since 2005 • 7602 Posts

George Bush supports Hideo's War On Terror.

subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts

People who can't handle a real-place being used in a fictional work don't get to live in society. Give it a rest - outside of sensational media and the lunatic fringe, no one cares about what Kojima does in a videogame. Freedom of expression, if he wanted to, he could make a game where your goal is to desecrate every sacred land of every religion on the planet, and that's his choice.

I'm personally annoyed that you're implying Muslims would declare a *holy war* over a videogame. Do you think Muslim people are that irrational? Do you think Muslims are some crazy lunatics who wouldn't get that it's a fictional work? Does being Muslim mean you declare a *war* over every piece of potentially offensive content? Do yourself a favor and actually talk to someone who is Muslim, rather than getting your world-view from Fox news.

Hint: the couple of lunatics blowing up buildings are *probably not* representative of the entire religion. I worry that next you'll tell me Jewish people eat nothing but bagels and chinese food.
furtherfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 furtherfan
Member since 2007 • 3699 Posts
there's always someone who wants to start a war. you are one of them.
grayfox_2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 grayfox_2k
[QUOTE="grayfox_2k"]

[QUOTE="-supercharged-"]It's a video game. -supercharged-

ahhh people u just don't get it -_-; OF COURSE it's fictional, but why don't ask yourself this question:

WHY didn't he choose any other city? especially when "Medina" has never mentioned on the news or had any sort of terrorists activities... keyword is: peaceful & worship people! it just doesn't make any sense...

and don't give me that crap about "fictional scenarios" just look what they did to capcom and insomniac!! both are fictional and in an ALTERNATE TIMELINE for god's sake!! so don't act like this has never happened -_-"

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

George Bush supports Hideo's War On Terror.

PelekotansDream

:lol:

that cracked me up.

grayfox_2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 grayfox_2k

there's always someone who wants to start a war. you are one of them.furtherfan

i don't want to start a war... i'm just offended.

KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
[QUOTE="grayfox_2k"]

[QUOTE="-supercharged-"]It's a video game. subrosian

People who can't handle a real-place being used in a fictional work don't get to live in society. Give it a rest - outside of sensational media and the lunatic fringe, no one cares about what Kojima does in a videogame. Freedom of expression, if he wanted to, he could make a game where your goal is to desecrate every sacred land of every religion on the planet, and that's his choice.

I'm personally annoyed that you're implying Muslims would declare a *holy war* over a videogame. Do you think Muslim people are that irrational? Do you think Muslims are some crazy lunatics who wouldn't get that it's a fictional work? Does being Muslim mean you declare a *war* over every piece of potentially offensive content? Do yourself a favor and actually talk to someone who is Muslim, rather than getting your world-view from Fox news.

pwned.

rdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 rdo
Member since 2004 • 10314 Posts
it's no big deal. i doubt osoma plays video games.
grayfox_2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 grayfox_2k
[QUOTE="grayfox_2k"]

[QUOTE="-supercharged-"]It's a video game. subrosian

Hint: the couple of lunatics blowing up buildings are *probably not* representative of the entire religion. I worry that next you'll tell me Jewish people eat nothing but bagels and chinese food.

LMAO :lol: but i AM a muslime lol, and no i'm NOT going to declare a war (or anyone) :P i was just exaggerating. sheesh i should've toned it down a bit lol... all i'm saying is that there's no sense of him choosing this location other than to spark a controversy.

grayfox_2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 grayfox_2k
[QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="grayfox_2k"]

[QUOTE="-supercharged-"]It's a video game. KAS3Y_JAM3Z

pwned.

tsk tsk tsk... calm down people.

KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
[QUOTE="-supercharged-"][QUOTE="grayfox_2k"]

ahhh people u just don't get it -_-; OF COURSE it's fictional, but why don't ask yourself this question:

WHY didn't he choose any other city? especially when "Medina" has never mentioned on the news or had any sort of terrorists activities... keyword is: peaceful & worship people! it just doesn't make any sense...

and don't give me that crap about "fictional scenarios" just look what they did to capcom and insomniac!! both are fictional and in an ALTERNATE TIMELINE for god's sake!! so don't act like this has never happened -_-"

do you even know why its set in the city? or what the story is? no. for all you know Snake is trying to remove all the war equipment from the city to preserve it's holiness.

And why are you offended? Let the people who it would actually affect (if any) to be offended. It's fictional. it's not real. you don't even know why it's set in the city, or what happens there in the game.

You should worry about REAL problems in the world, not a fictional story that 1% of the total world population will know about. get over it and go watch CNN or MSNBC and be offended or worried. They do a great job at it.

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#23 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

subrosian

If there is the ability to blow up mosques and other holy places there could potentially be a problem.

There were massive riots all over the world as a result of Danish cartoons portraying the Prophet, and Danish filmmaker Theo Van Gogh was brutally murdered for his film portraying suppression of women in Islamic society. So even artistic mediums and fictitious portrayals can incite backlash.

Of course, I have Muslim friends, I think the vast majority of Muslims are peace-loving, and I don't think there will be a fatwa against Kojima, but it is a sensitive topic and there could be some PR problems associated with setting part of the game in the second holiest city of Islam.

creativeminded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 creativeminded
Member since 2005 • 1729 Posts
It's not good but then again it's just a game and even though there have been countless games where there r shootings and stuff in churches but u don't see any crazy protests about it
furtherfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 furtherfan
Member since 2007 • 3699 Posts

Danish filmmaker Theo Van Gogh was brutally murdered for his film portraying suppression of women in Islamic society. So even artistic mediums and fictitious portrayals can incite backlash.fuzzysquash

Theo van Gogh was Dutch.

grayfox_2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 grayfox_2k
[QUOTE="grayfox_2k"][QUOTE="-supercharged-"][QUOTE="grayfox_2k"]

do you even know why its set in the city? or what the story is? no. for all you know Snake is trying to remove all the war equipment from the city to preserve it's holiness.

And why are you offended? Let the people who it would actually affect (if any) to be offended. It's fictional. it's not real. you don't even know why it's set in the city, or what happens there in the game.

You should worry about REAL problems in the world, not a fictional story that 1% of the total world population will know about. get over it and go watch CNN or MSNBC and be offended or worried. They do a great job at it.

:| can't u read? i AM a muslim and i AM a "bit" offended... granted i didn't play the game or anything, and i'm going to hold my final judgement till i do... but i'm not THAT offended that i'd put an armor and rage a war :P i'm just giving u an insight on something that u didn't know, about the importance of the city, and that u shouldn't be surprised if it sparks any controversy in the future.

i really shouldn't have gotten all worked up lol :P it's just caught me off guard so sorry

grayfox_2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 grayfox_2k

[QUOTE="subrosian"]

fuzzysquash

If there is the ability to blow up mosques and other holy places there could potentially be a problem.

There were massive riots all over the world as a result of Danish cartoons portraying the Prophet, and Danish filmmaker Theo Van Gogh was brutally murdered for his film portraying suppression of women in Islamic society. So even artistic mediums and fictitious portrayals can incite backlash.

Of course, I have Muslim friends, I think the vast majority of Muslims are peace-loving, and I don't think there will be a fatwa against Kojima, but it is a sensitive topic and there could be some PR problems associated with setting part of the game in the second holiest city of Islam.

exactly :) all i was trying to say don't get too surprised if anything happens

KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
[QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="grayfox_2k"]

LMAO :lol: but i AM a muslime lol, and no i'm going to declare a war :P i was just exaggerating. sheesh i should've toned down a bit lol... and nobody is going to declare a war ofcourse... all i'm saying is that there's no sense of him choosing this location other than to spark a controversy.

yes, I'm sure Kojima picked the city souly so he could piss people off. :roll: you're just digging your self into a deeper and deeper hole buddy.

you have no idea what his intentions for picking the city was. so don't go and saying why he did.

grayfox_2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 grayfox_2k

It's not good but then again it's just a game and even though there have been countless games where there r shootings and stuff in churches but u don't see any crazy protests about itcreativeminded

true true, but a title as big as MGS isn't like those other titles... (and that EVERYONE is a MGS fan here, so ALOT will play it and have something to say about it)

SolidSnake2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SolidSnake2020
Member since 2006 • 2180 Posts

Well I'm Muslim to tell you the truth I found Iraq the place for MGS4 I don't think it is in Saudi Arabia, I think Kojima is not a fool to bring the heat on him.

Well if it takes place in MAKKA that would be a big problem.

By the way the trailers shown so far don't include any mosques so I think Kojima is playing it save.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 coakroach
Member since 2005 • 1356 Posts

New York and Russia have both been attacked in MGS games. Why is it suddenly an issue when a Muslim area is targeted? Are you sure this is where it takes place, anyway?dave003

New york and russia arent the central cities to one of the largest and most powerful religions in the world

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Good thing we Christians aren't like that or we would have a lot of protest ;)
toxicmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 toxicmog
Member since 2006 • 6355 Posts

It's a video game. -supercharged-

and in denmark that thing was 'just a newspaper'

grayfox_2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 grayfox_2k
[QUOTE="grayfox_2k"][QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="grayfox_2k"]

LMAO :lol: but i AM a muslime lol, and no i'm going to declare a war :P i was just exaggerating. sheesh i should've toned down a bit lol... and nobody is going to declare a war ofcourse... all i'm saying is that there's no sense of him choosing this location other than to spark a controversy.

yes, I'm sure Kojima picked the city souly so he could piss people off. :roll: you're just digging your self into a deeper and deeper hole buddy.

you have no idea what his intentions for picking the city was. so don't go and saying why he did.

not piss people! dude try to understand, Kojima isn't dumb he knows this stuff about medinah (google it :P) and i KNOW that if it will end up being a major location that it will play a role in the story. i'm just saying that he's playing with fire. it was ok for him to choose afghanistan and iraq as locations cuz it's already a couple war-torn zones... but this is totally surprising

VACASCULIADAS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 VACASCULIADAS
Member since 2007 • 1001 Posts
Only a muslim person can tell u if they feel offended or not.. i hope this doesn't bring kojima problems.
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
[QUOTE="fuzzysquash"]

[QUOTE="subrosian"]

grayfox_2k

exactly :) all i was trying to say don't get too surprised if anything happens

So Kojima should censor himself because a small sect within Islam is unable to live peacefully in a society that allows free-expression? I don't blame people who are offended, but violence is not an acceptable reaction to offensive content or criticism. It certainly doesn't do Islam any favors, much like Christian extremists, the negative attitudes towards the religion are being created by a very small number of people.

Again, your personal distaste towards the game's location - understandable, but a holy war? Really? Violence, murders, threats, public outcry? We've moved beyond the dark ages, people have to decide for themselves what's right. It will be interesting to see how the game's story handles such a controversial location. For Kojima to be aware of it, he would know the implications of using it - I doubt his goal was to be insensitive, but rather to create a more authentic story.
KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
[QUOTE="KAS3Y_JAM3Z"][QUOTE="grayfox_2k"][QUOTE="-supercharged-"][QUOTE="grayfox_2k"]

:| can't u read? i AM a muslim and i AM a "bit" offended... granted i didn't play the game or anything, and i'm going to hold my final judgement till i do... but i'm not THAT offended that i'd put an armor and rage a war :P i'm just giving u an insight on something that u didn't know, about the importance of the city, and that u shouldn't be surprised if it sparks any controversy in the future.

i really shouldn't have gotten all worked up lol :P it's just caught me off guard so sorry

why wouldn't you state that you were Muslim in the opening post? that seems semi important, doesn't it? And if you were a"bit" offended and are saying it may "spark" a little controversy then why would you say a jihad will take place? That doesn't make much sense.

and you could have offended others as well by generalizing your own people by saying jihad. You should know there is a difference between Muslims and Middle Eastern and Arabic peoples. Now you're just stereotyping your self and others. Don't get all huffy and puffy until you know why the city is in the game and what role it has in the game.

And there is a difference between having a city in a video game, and making a cartoon about Muhammad, and correct me if I'm wrong, who is not supposed to be portrayed as anything of the sort.

Shuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Shuzen
Member since 2005 • 569 Posts
[QUOTE="-supercharged-"][QUOTE="grayfox_2k"]

Yeah!

Why the hell did they choose Medina??????

(Coming From A BIG MGS Fan)

grayfox_2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 grayfox_2k

Well I'm Muslim to tell you the truth I found Iraq the place for MGS4 I don't think it is in Saudi Arabia, I think Kojima is not a fool to bring the heat on him.

By the way the trailers shown so far don't include any mosques so I think Kojima is playing it save.

SolidSnake2020

i thought it was iraq too, but the 1up preview says it's not Link

groovdafied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 groovdafied
Member since 2005 • 5012 Posts
This is merely a video game, which is fictional. Obviously you as the hero, are trying to save the city from such disaster. People who choose to protest about this story line are overlooking the whole concept of ficitional story telling and video games.
Avatar image for Kritical_Strike
Kritical_Strike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Kritical_Strike
Member since 2006 • 4123 Posts

It's a video game. -supercharged-

Do you know what sparked the previous violent protests from muslims? A comic strip. A COMIC BOOK STRIP sparked a violent that (correct me if I'm wrong) got some people injured.

KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 KAS3Y_JAM3Z

SolidSnake2020

If you mean Mecca, then yes, that would be a completely different story. Thats like having a game about protected sex, drugs, and violence in the Vatican.

Jeez, I know so much about religion, yet I don't really have one. hahaha.

abudjasim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 abudjasim
Member since 2005 • 519 Posts

As a muslim, medina is a holy city for me. But its not portrayed as an evil city or something. The badguys there are the PMC's, and Snake kicks their ass, so please dont compare it to those mother******* danish/swedish cartoonists that have no respect for other people's religion and publicly offend them.

Shuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shuzen
Member since 2005 • 569 Posts

This is merely a video game, which is fictional. Obviously you as the hero, are trying to save the city from such disaster. People who choose to protest about this story line are overlooking the whole concept of ficitional story telling and video games.groovdafied

Yeah =) Anyway it's just a game =P

grayfox_2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 grayfox_2k

why wouldn't you state that you were Muslim in the opening post? that seems semi important, doesn't it? And if you were a"bit" offended and are saying it may "spark" a little controversy then why would you say a jihad will take place? That doesn't make much sense.

and you could have offended others as well by generalizing your own people by saying jihad. You should know there is a difference between Muslims and Middle Eastern and Arabic peoples. Now you're just stereotyping your self and others. Don't get all huffy and puffy until you know why the city is in the game and what role it has in the game.

And there is a difference between having a city in a video game, and making a cartoon about Muhammad, and correct me if I'm wrong, who is not supposed to be portrayed as anything of the sort.

KAS3Y_JAM3Z

:P sorry i just wanted a title to grab everybody's attention lol... hmmm k going to edit the title.

other than that i'm not getting all huffy and puffy (yet :P) and I AM going to wait for the final product, but come on! u can't blame for being surprised can u? as i said it's an eye opener if u were a muslim, and u would have to be one to understand what this city represents... again people, NO one is going to WAGE Jiahd on anyone! that was just an exaggeration :P

KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 KAS3Y_JAM3Z

[QUOTE="-supercharged-"]It's a video game. toxicmog

and in denmark that thing was 'just a newspaper'

now, how people read that news paper and how many people saw it on the news which was made oublic ans well known over the world. And how many people will be playing MGS4... and how many news stations well be brodcasting that 24/7 ?

Oh, and there is a big difference between something that is basically like a holy law and injustice/insult to muslims and a city being in a video game. which people still DON'T EVEN KNOW IT'S ROLE IN IT YET.

KAS3Y_JAM3Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 KAS3Y_JAM3Z
[QUOTE="KAS3Y_JAM3Z"][QUOTE="grayfox_2k"][QUOTE="subrosian"][QUOTE="grayfox_2k"]

not piss people! dude try to understand, Kojima isn't dumb he knows this stuff about medinah (google it :P) and i KNOW that if it will end up being a major location that it will play a role in the story. i'm just saying that he's playing with fire. it was ok for him to choose afghanistan and iraq as locations cuz it's already a couple war-torn zones... but this is totally surprising

link? how would you know that. i'd like to know, please. i'd like to know the specifics as well.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

As a muslim, medina is a holy city for me. But its not portrayed as an evil city or something. The badguys there are the PMC's, and Snake kicks their ass, so please dont compare it to those mother******* danish/swedish cartoonists that have no respect for other people's religion and publicly offend them.

abudjasim

Deal with it, its life

grayfox_2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 grayfox_2k

abudjasim

i know of course... but for it to be "bombed out" is a little disturbing... plus REX is wreaking havok over there, i'm SO gonna bring down his ass lol

whocares4peace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 whocares4peace
Member since 2005 • 4971 Posts

Muslims are very sensitive about religion.Anyone remember the whole deal with Mohammad being depicted in a cartoon in a Danish newspaper which led to many middle eastern countries suspending trade relations with Denmark?

Needless to say, the sale of this game will be banned in many middle eastern countries and there will be some protests.

Let me pose another question, wouldnt Christians be offended if a game depicted the Pope and Jesus Christ shooting people in the Vatican?