Official Resident Evil 5 Discussion - (Gamespot 8.5) - KEEP IT HERE

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#1 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

Gamespot Review: 8.5

"Resident Evil 5 is a fun and frantic evolution of RE4's breakthrough gameplay and the series' horror themes."

Background Summary

Resident Evil 5 is the latest entry in Capcom's powerhouse survival horror franchise. Players follow longtime series protagonist Chris Redfield into the depths of Africa as he hopes to trace the origin of a mysterious virus. Gameplay-wise, Resident Evil 5 adopts its immediate predecessor's signature targeting mechanics, while bringing a slew of fresh gameplay innovations that are brand new to the series. With new enemies, weapons, and game features, Resident Evil 5 promises an adventure that will thrill and terrify players even more than Resident Evil 4.

Updates

3/11/08. New! Gametrailers preview: link

3/9/08. More reviews dropped; added links to articles.

3/5/08. The first reviews have hit! Check below for quotes & scores.

3/2/08. Check out episodes 1 through 4 of Gametrailers' excellent Resident Evil Retrospective series:

2/13/08. New trailer -- check it out! Link

Product Details

Resident Evil 5 will be released in North America and Europe on March 13, 2009 and in Japan on March 5 for the Xbox 360 and the Playstation 3. The game will come in both standard and collector's edition packages. The standard edition will retail for $59.99, while the collector's edition will cost $89.99 and include the following items (source: Amazon.com):

• A bonus disc with special features, including "The Making of Resident Evil 5," a digital art gallery showcasing HD game graphics, and a trailer for the full-length feature Resident Evil: Degeneration
  • A Tricell messenger bag featuring designs based on the game's storyline and setting
  • A Chris Redfield figurine, a BSAA patch, and a Kijuju-inspired pendant
  • A custom-made steel case with special art showcasing signature elements of the RE5 campaign

Reviews

Playstation: The Official Magazine: 100

• "Perhaps Resident Evil 5's most remarkable achievement is how it deftly straddles the line between the franchise's sometimes endearing, sometimes frustrating, legacy gameplay mechanics while incorporating more contemporary action adventure elements like enhanced interaction and exploration of environments and a decidedly more shooter-like control scheme."

NZGamer: 91

• "Capcom has had years to fine-tune their survival horror formula and this is the result. They have built upon highly-praised foundations that Resident Evil 4 put down and raised the bars both visually and with their production values."

VideoGamer: 90

• "With a whole heap of content to unlock, including the brilliant Mercenaries mode (playable cooperatively off and online), a campaign that begs to be replayed and top of the line production values there's very little to be disappointed with."

Vandal Online: 90

• "The setting change works well, and the story will please series followers, with surprises and comebacks which will thrill Resident Evil fans. Resident Evil 5 offers a quality experience, despite some incongruities - all of them can be overlood -, which will engage us in front of the TV for hours, thanks to its gameplay and its high doses of action, tension and fun."

Cynamite: 90

• "Lots of action and stunning visuals, but fans of the earlier RE episodes could be disappointed by the lack of goose-bump moments."

Games Radar: 90

• "Resident Evil 4 taught the industry so much, and in turn we expected RE5 to at least learn from what others have since added to those accomplishments. Instead, it jams the series full of gasoline-enriched testosterone, keeps outdated inventory and control ideas and refuses to admit the franchise is now more action-adventure than survival horror. Don't let the negatives fool you though – it's still one of the best balls-to-the-wall co-op excursions you can buy."

Official Xbox Magazine: 90

• "Ultimately, it's an action feast for two - with just a little gristle amid all the delicious blood, bone, and brains."

GamePro: 90

• "Hardcore fans may be disappointed by the departure from the traditional survival-horror roots but trust me, the game delivers enough thrills that you probably won't care."

IGN: 90

• "As an action game, RE5 is a success, and there's a wealth of replayability through item collection, weapon upgrades, score chasing and the unlockable Mercenaries mode. But this is no gentle nudge to the formula of the previous main RE games; it's an evolution."

IGN UK: 90

• "Sure, it might just be a shinier, snazzier retread of Resi 4 - and certainly, it lacks its forerunner's impressive sense of invention - but this is still big, dumb Grade A entertainment."

3DJuegos: 87

• "Resident Evil 5 is 'only' an amazing game, a label that 90% of the third person shooters would want for themselves. The cooperative mode is just sensational and the story mode is filled with non-stop action. The huge amount of contents will make you forget the lack of any kind of innovation in its concept."

IGN AU: 87

• "This review has been quite negative but that's unavoidable when you're discussing a good game that follows on from an incredible one."

Xbox World 360 Magazine UK: 81

• "Co-op? Great. Single-player? Not so much. Not nearly as good as we hoped - but you'll still love it with two."

Meristation: 80

• "Resident Evil 5 is a great game without any doubt. With a new storyline, it offers fans of the series the epic end of the Umbrella arc that they were hoping for. Great visuals and many extras, but the use of RE4's control scheme feels old, and doesn't work too well to this new 100% action sty.le the game embraced instead Survival Horror. You would expect something better from Capcom nowadays."

Total Video Games: 80

• "The sheer emphasis on action, coupled with the dated gameplay mechanics and inability to show any advance beyond the Resident Evil 4 blueprint is possible to overlook if you're happy with state-of-the-art visuals and zombie slaying."

X360 Magazine UK: 80

• "Unfortunately, a vast array of individuals will play this as a lone wolf and, to be honest, done this way it can be aggravating. Sheva is simply not competent enough, and her irregular bouts of hopelessness transform a sublime portion into a testing run."

Eurogamer: 70

• "Thanks to the game's stubborn loyalty to stop-and-shoot, the result is distinctive, but with suspect partner AI to contend with, this is a game that only truly comes into its own with a friend who's up for a challenge."
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 fuzzysquash

New Game Features

Co-op.Perhaps the most exciting new feature of Resident Evil 5 is the addition of online and offline co-op. Player 2 will assume the role of Sheva Alomar, a colleague of Redfield's who is assigned to the same mission. The game will require both players to coordinate carefully in order to stay alive by providing covering fire for one another and watching each others' backs. In addition, players will be able to heal one another, exchange items and ammunition, and help one another cross chasms and environmental obstacles. The addition of a second player is sure to add an additional layer of collaborative strategic thinking to Resident Evil's gameplay formula, though you may want to turn down your headphones if your co-op partner (like mine during our demo playthrough) tends to scream like a girl.

New Weapons. RE5 will sport an all-new, more lethal and more realistic lineup of weapons from the machete-like panga knife to the Ithata M37 shotgun. In addition to the shotgun, players will wield the S75 bolt-action rifle, the VZ61 Czechoslovakian submachine gun, the M92F semi-automatic pistol, the AK-74 assault rifle, and many more as-of-yet undisclosed weapons. GamePro surmises that a wider range of weapons will be made available earlier in the game to provide more opportunity for weapon modifications, an expansion of a popular feature in Resident Evil 4.

The Environment.Environmental factors will also play a role in Resident Evil 5's gameplay, and add another layer of nuance to the "survival" portion of "survival horror." While the original idea of subjugating the player to heat exhaustion and hallucinations has apparently been left out, light will still remain a factor, as players will be blinded if shifting from dark to bright environments. GamePro also expects verticality to play a more important part this time around, so expect to scramble for the highest point to get an edge on your attackers.

Vehicle Sequences.Trailers for the game have shown high-speed, explosive vehicle sequences, with Chris and Sheva manning turrets while being chased by pursuers on dirt bikes. While details are slim, it appears that these pulse-pounding segments will be railshooter sequences, so expect lots of bullets and lots of intentional roadkill during these portions.

Bigger, Badder, More Brutal Enemies.Resident Evil 5 promises to kick it up a notch in terms of the foes that players will have to face. In the demo, the game introduces a towering, hooded giant who decapitates a poor bloke with a giant axe-on-a-stick. Chainsaw-wielding psychos return in the game, along with deranged locals armed with machetes and other weapons. Screenshots reveal an enormous crocodile creature as well as a more bearded version of the large troll monster from Resident Evil 4. Freakiest of all, images depict a horrific, fluidly animated fiend made up of what seems to be hundreds of writhing worms. My advice: bring an extra pair of diapers.

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 fuzzysquash

Links

Official Resident Evil 5 Website

Trailers

2009 Trailer: HD | SD

Theatrical Trailer: HD | SD

TGS 2008 Extended Alternate Trailer: HD | SD

TGS 2008 Trailer: HD | SD

Leipzig Convention Trailer: HD | SD

E3 2008 Alternate Trailer: HD | SD

E3 2008 Trailer: HD | SD

Captivate 08 Trailer: HD | SD

E3 2007 Extended Trailer: HD | SD

X05 Trailer: HD | SD

Screenshots

(Click the thumbnails for full size)

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fuzzysquash
Reserved
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fuzzysquash
Reserved
psn_Jaimzl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 psn_Jaimzl
Member since 2008 • 1241 Posts
First, so whats going on in here?
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
You should put how they totally ruined the series, and transformed it to an action movie.
St_muscat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 St_muscat
Member since 2007 • 4315 Posts
You should put how they totally ruined the series, and transformed it to an action movie.millerlight89
Maybe you should stop living in the past and just enjoy RE for what it is now instead of complaining about and trying to live in the past all the time.
Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts
It will get AAA... but I am not liking the vibe I got for the demo...Maybe I like too much original RE games :? Oh and Fuzzy, glad to have you again in SW :)
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts
Cant wait for this my personal GOTY
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts
I didn't enjoy the demo very much, so I'll either rent the game or just pass all together.
lantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 lantus
Member since 2006 • 10591 Posts
And the prodigal son returns. :)
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

After watching the newest trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45534.html

I couldn't be more exicted for this game. Absolutely amazing.

Avatar image for Master-Thief-09
Master-Thief-09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 Master-Thief-09
Member since 2009 • 2534 Posts
Triple A goodness.
[QUOTE="millerlight89"]You should put how they totally ruined the series, and transformed it to an action movie.St_muscat
Maybe you should stop living in the past and just enjoy RE for what it is now instead of complaining about and trying to live in the past all the time.

Amen.
Hoobinator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Hoobinator
Member since 2006 • 6899 Posts
Flop.
joopyme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 joopyme
Member since 2008 • 2598 Posts
I didn't enjoy the demo very much, so I'll either rent the game or just pass all together.II-FBIsniper-II
Same here. Unfortunately, video game rentals are absolutely nonexistent where I come from.
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#18 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

I must have played the demo 20 times :) Can't wait for the full game. Stringerboy

Same here :D

CleanPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#19 CleanPlayer
Member since 2008 • 9822 Posts
Overall this game will get a 9. If it's co-op is not good, I won't be surprised if it gets an 8.5. I don't care what it gets cause I'm going to play the hell out of it.
Avatar image for dark-warmachine
dark-warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 dark-warmachine
Member since 2007 • 3476 Posts
I'm calling it an 8.5.
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 fuzzysquash

It will get AAA... but I am not liking the vibe I got for the demo...Maybe I like too much original RE games :? Oh and Fuzzy, glad to have you again in SW :)Giancar

thanks mate :)

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts

Excellent thread Fuzzy. :)

You should put how they totally ruined the series, and transformed it to an action movie.millerlight89

I won't deny that RE5 seems to be taking a different route than it's predecessors, but I'm not so sure it's "ruining" the series.

The gameplay mechanics integral to the originals (namely the static camera angle) make the game several degrees more tense, and frightening, simply because they restricted how you played. If you ask me, that's poor game design. I'm sure a competent developer could make an equally frightening game without making it a challenge to see your enemies. That being said, I'm not so sure Capcom is even trying. Still, what Capcom is looking to deliver is a fantastic action game in its own right. It may not have the tension the originals had, but it makes up for it in other regards.

I don't think it's far fetched to think it could be the best game in the series to date. The best in terms of horror? Maybe not, but in overall quality, it's certainly possible. I don't think the series is ruined, it's just evolving.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts
Im pretty sure it will be a very good action game. Not on my top list of must buys,but ill get it eventually.
Dark_Link142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 Dark_Link142
Member since 2004 • 6726 Posts
I really enjoyed the demo and I'm enjoying RE4, so I'll probably be getting this.
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#25 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts
After playing the demo and knowing GS, I'd say a 9.0 maximum.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#26 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
I know this will be awesome and though I understand the change I love the new Resident Evil as much as I did the old one. I hope the story is awesome.
NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
This game is going to be awesome and I am pretty excited. That is all.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
1- Glad to have you back| 2- While i do enjoy RE 4 and will probably love RE 5....it did not need to sacrfice the horror atmosphere, setting and enemies for the sake of being an action movie/game type deal. I miss the zombies, the hunters, lickers, leaches of old :( 3- BRING BACK JILL...BRING BACK JILL. BRING BACK JILL.BRING BACK JILL. BRING BACK JILL I WANT JILL :(
Saber-Lily

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Saber-Lily
Member since 2009 • 127 Posts

Can't wait for this game. I must have played the demo like fifty times. :3

Good job on the thread, by the way.

Skittles_McGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Skittles_McGee
Member since 2008 • 9136 Posts

Ps3 version will be superior imo.

I say Ps3 version - 9.5

and xbot version - 7.5 (thanks to framerate problems due to the lack of space in outdated dvd9s and weak CPU)

LunchBox-
The funny thing is that PS3 games tend to have more framerate problems and CPU issues than the 360. Weird, amirite?
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#32 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

I say Ps3 version - 9.5

and xbot version - 7.5 (thanks to framerate problems due to the lack of space in outdated dvd9s and weak CPU)

LunchBox-

Hahahah I can't wait until all the RE5 reviews come out and prove how wrong you are :D

lancedgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lancedgt
Member since 2006 • 188 Posts
[QUOTE="SpinoRaptor24"][QUOTE="LunchBox-"]

I say Ps3 version - 9.5

Hahahah I can't wait until all the RE5 reviews come out and prove how wrong you are :D

Really? 0o that would be weird... i mean why in this particular game, the xbox will have that problem while all other games (multiplat) dosent...? Anyway i think it will get a AAA 9.0
Pariah_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pariah_001
Member since 2003 • 4850 Posts
Look. I just want an RE2 remake for the PS2. That's all I want. I could care less about this--Especially since it doesn't have Leon, Claire, or Ada.
exiledsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 exiledsnake
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts
I cant wait for this game. Especially the coop part. And i know people dont like the action feel but it is kinda illogical for the characters to be still scared of the zombies after fighting them so many times.
McdonaIdsGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 McdonaIdsGuy
Member since 2008 • 3046 Posts
The new 2009 trailer shows even better graphics,best looking game on consoles IMO.
Tekkenloving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Tekkenloving
Member since 2008 • 1546 Posts
so what makes this thread mega?
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#38 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts
I liked the new trailer but I think it might just manage a 9.0.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts
Excellent thread,was fun reading through it.
I'm hyping AAA.
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
I just hope for at least one review that would not be afraid to give it a 6 or 7.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

1- Glad to have you back| 2- While i do enjoy RE 4 and will probably love RE 5....it did not need to sacrfice the horror atmosphere, setting and enemies for the sake of being an action movie/game type deal. I miss the zombies, the hunters, lickers, leaches of old :( 3- BRING BACK JILL...BRING BACK JILL. BRING BACK JILL.BRING BACK JILL. BRING BACK JILL I WANT JILL :(jg4xchamp
Watch the '09 trailer and pay attention to the end. ;)

Anyways, this game is going to be in my Top 3 of '09. If it's anything close to RE4 it might be one of my favourite games ever. :shock:

McdonaIdsGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 McdonaIdsGuy
I just hope for at least one review that would not be afraid to give it a 6 or 7.Salt_The_Fries

Why would they? the game is brilliant.
GTR_FX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 GTR_FX
Member since 2009 • 1121 Posts

1- Glad to have you back| 2- While i do enjoy RE 4 and will probably love RE 5....it did not need to sacrfice the horror atmosphere, setting and enemies for the sake of being an action movie/game type deal. I miss the zombies, the hunters, lickers, leaches of old :( 3- BRING BACK JILL...BRING BACK JILL. BRING BACK JILL.BRING BACK JILL. BRING BACK JILL I WANT JILL :(jg4xchamp
*NEW TRAILER*

http://gamersyde.com/news_7543_en.html

*possible spoiler alert*

*possible spoiler alert*

*possible spoiler alert*

looks like jill is birdwomen

*possible spoiler alert*

*possible spoiler alert*

*possible spoiler alert*

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]1- Glad to have you back| 2- While i do enjoy RE 4 and will probably love RE 5....it did not need to sacrfice the horror atmosphere, setting and enemies for the sake of being an action movie/game type deal. I miss the zombies, the hunters, lickers, leaches of old :( 3- BRING BACK JILL...BRING BACK JILL. BRING BACK JILL.BRING BACK JILL. BRING BACK JILL I WANT JILL :(GTR_FX

*NEW TRAILER*

http://gamersyde.com/news_7543_en.html

*possible spoiler alert*

*possible spoiler alert*

*possible spoiler alert*

looks like jill is birdwomen

*possible spoiler alert*

*possible spoiler alert*

*possible spoiler alert*

Lol It won't be Jill. That is a bit TOO obvious.
GTR_FX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GTR_FX
also....how do you guys like my new sig, I made it yesterday in about 10 minutes :)
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Lto_thaG
also....how do you guys like my new sig, I made it yesterday in about 10 minutes :)GTR_FX
I love the GTR FX on the barrel of the gun.Smooth.
GTR_FX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 GTR_FX
[QUOTE="GTR_FX"]also....how do you guys like my new sig, I made it yesterday in about 10 minutes :)Lto_thaG

I love how your sig and avatar have big breasted women :D
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lto_thaG
[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"][QUOTE="GTR_FX"]also....how do you guys like my new sig, I made it yesterday in about 10 minutes :)GTR_FX

I love how your sig and avatar have big breasted women :D

Yea..thanks.
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts
also....how do you guys like my new sig, I made it yesterday in about 10 minutes :)GTR_FX
Nice super hyped but i think bird woman may be rebecca chambers
McdonaIdsGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 McdonaIdsGuy
Has anyone notice that some of the enemies look like zombies? there is many that even have blood coming out of their mouths :O,and these new plagas can survive in the light? this leads me to the conclusion that they've been mixed with the T-Virus or G-Virus...