ODST = 9.0! Get out!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 soapandbubbles
Member since 2010 • 3412 Posts
Yes, it's ancient news...but it's hard to let this slip..... 1) ODST is some what of an expansion...yes? 2) ODST uses the same old engine and looks like Halo 3 (outdated)...yes? 3) ODST has very little if NONE gameplay improvement or additions...yes? 4) ODST is a 4-5 hr long...yes? 5) Recycles Multiplayer...yes? So it must be because the Halo formula is STILL FUN! ...OR the fact that it's got the name HALO in it, i don't know OR maybe the reviewer a you know what! But doesn't increased scores rely on meeting todays standards/requirements? (graphics/gameplay/length) Reading the review..the negatives are only * Multiplayer is mostly recycled from Halo 3 * Damage indicators are annoying. Yet, they talk positively about the story like it's the most engaging and epic STORY ever told. When simply it's a flash back paced story with little to NO WOW factor too it. And it receives a fat 9.0. Yet it clearly in many gamers minds deserves a 8.0 no more. (keep in mind an 8 is a GREAT score) This game IMO, tells us we shouldn't take GS's reviews so srsly. This seems to bother me a quite bit, Halo fans can sit this one out, i just want an honest opinion from honest gamers.
Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

GS gave Halo 3 a 9.5 and COD4 a 9.0. COD4 is a better game in all aspects.

alextherussian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 alextherussian
Member since 2009 • 2642 Posts
I have to agree. I didnt even manage to finish the campaign and this was despite playing Halo 3 over several times. That being said, its a review, one guys opinion, if you dont like it fair enough. But just as you have a right to your opinion so does a reviewer has a right to his...
Wings_008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#4 Wings_008
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts
maybe because it's has a very good single player campaign and a solid MP, also MW2 scored nine even though it's campaign was also 5-6hr long.
bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Honestly, it's the best Halo singleplayer since Combat Evolved, and as someone who never played Halo 3 online much (couldn't even play 90% of the modes because I bought it last year and din't fancy shelling out more than I paid for the game on map packs) it was a good value package, but since I'd give Halo 2 and Halo 3 like 7.5, yes it probably did 'only' deserve an 8 or an 8.5.
walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts
I loved it's SP, i guess it's a hate love game. Then again i wonder the same thing with KZ2, i personally thought it was more AA game(still fantastic) then AAA. It's all opinoin
lucky_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lucky_star
Member since 2003 • 2307 Posts

Nintendo_Man

CoD4 Didnt come with this:

Reviewers are such fanboys.

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 soapandbubbles
Honestly, it's the best Halo singleplayer since Combat Evolved, and as someone who never played Halo 3 online much (couldn't even play 90% of the modes because I bought it last year and din't fancy shelling out more than I paid for the game on map packs) it was a good value package, but since I'd give Halo 2 and Halo 3 like 7.5, yes it probably did 'only' deserve an 8 or an 8.5.bobbetybob
You think ODST's story is better than CE? WOW!
soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 soapandbubbles
I have to agree. I didnt even manage to finish the campaign and this was despite playing Halo 3 over several times. That being said, its a review, one guys opinion, if you dont like it fair enough. But just as you have a right to your opinion so does a reviewer has a right to his...alextherussian
Fair enough, but come on..even this guy should have seen just how outdated the game is, like i said, isn't there standards that have to be met? I don't get how it can score a 9.0 with the criticisms that i have mentioned.
PSdual_wielder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 PSdual_wielder
Member since 2003 • 10646 Posts

Honestly, I don't know what happened with gaming journalism in the past year, but for me they went from respectable to making me have the what-the-hell-are-you-guys-doing response. I think something happened behind the scenes that we're not informed of, but its not even personal bias/opinion or whatever, they are now shooting themselves in the foot in multiple occasions, and sometimes being downright hypocritical. All of a sudden everyone went obsessed with originality and crap, docked a lot of games that had this 'issue' and then rated games like ODST and MW2 with the "while not orignal but it does well enough!" bullcrap.

salxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 salxis
Member since 2009 • 4280 Posts
Tom McShea = Halo fan boy, nothing much we can do about it :(
soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 soapandbubbles

Honestly, I don't know what happened with gaming journalism in the past year, but for me they went from respectable to making me have the what-the-hell-are-you-guys-doing response. I think something happened behind the scenes that we're not informed of, but its not even personal bias/opinion or whatever, they are now shooting themselves in the foot in multiple occasions, and sometimes being downright hypocritical. All of a sudden everyone went obsessed with originality and crap, docked a lot of games that had this 'issue' and then rated games like ODST and MW2 with the "while not orignal but it does well enough!" bullcrap.

PSdual_wielder
So true, they talk about ORIGINALITY and INNOVATION, yet when something like Heavy Rain comes along it's a 'Meh' experience. Another thing that annoys me, is that it has to be a SHOOTER with GUNS to score REALLY GOOD. Otherwise it'll get the "button mashing, repetitive" treatment.
W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

I haven't played the game yet, but on paper ODST had everything going against it being AAA. Yet some how it managed to do it.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

This ODST was one of the more odd reviews when paired up against almost all of the world's professional game reviews/critics. Metacritic and Gamerankings show this to be the case.

ODST was a cool expansion, it was definitely overpriced ($60?), and it did use old Halo 3 assets.

Still, GS gave it a 9, so that's that.

I went through ODST in no time at all on Legendary. It's not even talk of the SW Town. It's just one of those games that slipped through with an amazing score. It happens from time to time. It wasn't bad though, it just is what it is.

ODST is a low 83/100 at Metacritic.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
[QUOTE="bobbetybob"]Honestly, it's the best Halo singleplayer since Combat Evolved, and as someone who never played Halo 3 online much (couldn't even play 90% of the modes because I bought it last year and din't fancy shelling out more than I paid for the game on map packs) it was a good value package, but since I'd give Halo 2 and Halo 3 like 7.5, yes it probably did 'only' deserve an 8 or an 8.5.soapandbubbles
You think ODST's story is better than CE? WOW!

Where did I say that? I didn't mean it's better than CE, I meant that it's a lot better than 2 and 3.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Man"]

lucky_star

CoD4 Didnt come with this:

Reviewers are such fanboys.

makes sense...man gaming journalism is a joke

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts
Fantastic game, took the Halo world and completely flipped it on its axis. Just to note: You, surprisingly, left out everything that is different/new from your little rant.
II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts
ODST is one of the few GS reviews I disagree with. that game should seriously been 8.5 at the very best.
Avatar image for deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
deactivated-61010a1ed19f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-61010a1ed19f4
Member since 2007 • 3235 Posts

Nintendo_Man

You should try playing Halo 3 first

EDIT :

Oh wait you have... http://www.bungie.net/stats/halo3/careerstats.aspx?player=nmanoz :O

soapandbubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 soapandbubbles
[QUOTE="dog_dirt"][QUOTE="soapandbubbles"]Yes, it's ancient news...but it's hard to let this slip..... 1) ODST is some what of an expansion...yes? 2) ODST uses the same old engine and looks like Halo 3 (outdated)...yes? 3) ODST has very little if NONE gameplay improvement or additions...yes? 4) ODST is a 4-5 hr long...yes? 5) Recycles Multiplayer...yes? So it must be because the Halo formula is STILL FUN! ...OR the fact that it's got the name HALO in it, i don't know OR maybe the reviewer a you know what! But doesn't increased scores rely on meeting todays standards/requirements? (graphics/gameplay/length) Reading the review..the negatives are only * Multiplayer is mostly recycled from Halo 3 * Damage indicators are annoying. Yet, they talk positively about the story like it's the most engaging and epic STORY ever told. When simply it's a flash back paced story with little to NO WOW factor too it. And it receives a fat 9.0. Yet it clearly in many gamers minds deserves a 8.0 no more. (keep in mind an 8 is a GREAT score) This game IMO, tells us we shouldn't take GS's reviews so srsly. This seems to bother me a quite bit, Halo fans can sit this one out, i just want an honest opinion from honest gamers.

Is this thread worthless, pointless and unnecessary.... yeah

Actually your post is, i make a valid point..while OLD..it's just my thread....hate it, avoid it?
SpinoRaptor24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#22 SpinoRaptor24
Member since 2008 • 10316 Posts

It was still an enjoyable game.

I guess the gripe with most people was its price tag. $60 for a 6 hour expansion was weak. I gave it a 9 because I am a Halo fan, but most of the complaints were valid.

Though you can throw the same argument at the COD and GH franchise. Most of them offer little to no improvements in their spin offs and sequels.However I still would choose Halo over both of them.

Right, TC?

Darth_DuMas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Darth_DuMas
Member since 2006 • 2687 Posts

Whats the obsessions people have with engines, suddenly people think every new games needs a new engine. So what next, bash valve for using the Source engine for a good many years.

An engine takes years to make, but always want a new one. If ODST is an expansion, why does it matter about the engine?

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Nintendo_Man
Clearly your opinion isn't shared by everyone, I for one think the MW games are boring and have no time for them.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
*shrugs* I think its overrated due to the price point being a glorified stand alone expansion; especially compared to others out there. However it is quite good in terms of quality, even if it recycles Halo 3's multiplayer to such a degree, which is a damn cop out.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#26 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
They gave it a 9.0 BECAUSE IT PLAYED WELL, and for the final time, that is WHAT MATTERS ABOVE ALL. When will System Wars fanboys get this?
lucky_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lucky_star
They gave it a 9.0 BECAUSE IT PLAYED WELL, and for the final time, that is WHAT MATTERS ABOVE ALL. When will System Wars fanboys get this?charizard1605
How do explain PD0 getting a 9?
Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#28 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]They gave it a 9.0 BECAUSE IT PLAYED WELL, and for the final time, that is WHAT MATTERS ABOVE ALL. When will System Wars fanboys get this?lucky_star

I attribute it to a momentary lapse of logic.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

I haven't played the game yet, but on paper ODST had everything going against it being AAA. Yet some how it managed to do it.

W1NGMAN-
It managed by actually turning out to be good. It gets a lot of hate, but IMO it was better than Halo 3 single player, and not to mention Firefight which was a lot of fun. I'd quicker rate Halo 3 less than ODST.
dog_dirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dog_dirt
Member since 2009 • 2813 Posts
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]They gave it a 9.0 BECAUSE IT PLAYED WELL, and for the final time, that is WHAT MATTERS ABOVE ALL. When will System Wars fanboys get this?lucky_star

because that played well too. ok the story was bird dirt. but the 'game' itself was actually really good. with a great multiplayer and coop modes
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#31 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

Because it was a launch console proving what Xbox Live could do. 32 player deathmatch was fun as hell at that time, and the online played great. 98% of the people in this thread is Sony fanboys complaining about interigity and blah blah blah, it's a wonder why you're looked down on so much. The fact this thread was even made was stupid, but but I don't likes it :'(

We can just as easily make one on Resistance 2, that game was far less worthy of AAA. Anyways, the point is to just stop complaining about games you're not even playing. It's getting thousands of games played everyday, so obviously people enjoy it.

angelkimne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 angelkimne
Member since 2006 • 14037 Posts

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Man"]

scottiescott238

You should try playing Halo 3 first

EDIT :

Oh wait you have... http://www.bungie.net/stats/halo3/careerstats.aspx?player=nmanoz :O

Lol, that was good. Great K/D...

As for topic; I wouldn't of given it AAA either, but I wouldn't say 9.0 is too off the mark. It had a good story, great characters/voice acting, Firefight and essentially the same great Halo gameplay but with enough small adjustments to make it feel different from the other Halo games. It was actually a good bit cheaper than a normal game here in the UK as well.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

[QUOTE="lucky_star"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]They gave it a 9.0 BECAUSE IT PLAYED WELL, and for the final time, that is WHAT MATTERS ABOVE ALL. When will System Wars fanboys get this?dog_dirt

because that played well too. ok the story was bird dirt. but the 'game' itself was actually really good. with a great multiplayer and coop modes

you know how it is new gen, hype hype hype, llok at gt threy gave GRAW a 9.9

awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

Yeah, ODST getting a 9 was bull crap. The game was $60, which my friends beat in one day, and said it was okay, but not nearly as good as the other Halo games. Then they added ONE THING to the multiplayer.

Then compare that to The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Brand new game (And a launch game too). I spent 72 hours on my file getting everything, while the main story was 40-50 hours I think. The game was probably the best game I've ever played, and many agree with me. Then that gets an 8.8.

There are very few Gamespot reviews that I actually think are accurate...

lucky_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 lucky_star

[QUOTE="lucky_star"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]They gave it a 9.0 BECAUSE IT PLAYED WELL, and for the final time, that is WHAT MATTERS ABOVE ALL. When will System Wars fanboys get this?immortality20

Because it was a launch console proving what Xbox Live could do. 32 player deathmatch was fun as hell at that time, and the online played great. 98% of the people in this thread is Sony fanboys complaining about interigity and blah blah blah, it's a wonder why you're looked down on so much. The fact this thread was even made was stupid, but but I don't likes it :'(

We can just as easily make one on Resistance 2, that game was far less worthy of AAA. Anyways, the point is to just stop complaining about games you're not even playing. It's getting thousands of games played everyday, so obviously people enjoy it.

I disagree. PD0 was garbage. It wasnt even fun and we had way better online games on xbox 1 which already proved what the online was. Even the Ps2 had way better FPS. games. And CoD2 was a launch title too, wasnt it? IMO it was in a whole different league.
lucky_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lucky_star
[QUOTE="lucky_star"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]They gave it a 9.0 BECAUSE IT PLAYED WELL, and for the final time, that is WHAT MATTERS ABOVE ALL. When will System Wars fanboys get this?dog_dirt

Played well? Where do i start?! The cover system, oh my god what trash it was. AI was one of the worst ive ever seen. Here we have a spy game, you snipe an enemy from 1 mile away with a silencer, then instantly every enemy on the level knows where you are and you cant hide. They rush towards you and thats it. Run and gun to the end from there. Graphics had some good aspects like some textures. But the Wax look wasnt really appealing. Online felt soulles and was just plain boring with bad map design. Music was ok in some places. Thats it.
KratosTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 KratosTwin
Member since 2008 • 894 Posts

[QUOTE="dog_dirt"][QUOTE="lucky_star"] How do explain PD0 getting a 9?lucky_star

Played well? Where do i start?! The cover system, oh my god what trash it was. AI was one of the worst ive ever seen. Here we have a spy game, you snipe an enemy from 1 mile away with a silencer, then instantly every enemy on the level knows where you are and you cant hide. They rush towards you and thats it. Run and gun to the end from there. Graphics had some good aspects like some textures. But the Wax look wasnt really appealing. Online felt soulles and was just plain boring with bad map design. Music was ok in some places. Thats it.

I'm gonna have to agree with you here. Perfect Dark Zero is the least deserving of a AAA score this gen. Same thing with ODST but not to the same extent.But reviews are what they are...one person's opinion.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#38 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts
I agree that 9.0 is too much if only because you got way more NEW content with Halo 3. As a Halo game, it should have been expected to deliver on content. This is the one and only game I've played from Bungie where I feel they didn't put 60 bucks worth of content onto a disc. That said, the campaign maybe the best single player the series has had. This is easily the most focused the series has been in awhile. It's so good I think it's an easy Top 10/Top 5 FPS campaign this gen. Right up there with the likes of the Crysis games, Stalker, and Episode 2. Plus FireFight is by far the best version of the survival type mode. Totally shames Horde and Nazi Zombies. The price tag, and the obviousness that this was indeed an expansion is what should have held the score somewhat.
RedruM_I

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RedruM_I
Member since 2009 • 3051 Posts
Is the fact that it has the Halo name and that it is a shooter. That's the recipe for overrateness.
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

Nintendo_Man
The Single Player is better certainly, multiplayer? Now that's exceptionally debateable. Plus Halo 3 shames it in terms of amount of content.
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#41 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts
Even though i disagree with the score, it's one guys opinion.
Twin-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Twin-Blade
Member since 2005 • 6806 Posts

I'd rate Halo 3 9.5. Sold it awhile back but that's when my 360 broke. I've played ODST at my cousins, & had a blast, that was just with Firefight & the campaign. If we're including the multiplayer, then it's easily deserving of a 9. I had much more fun with it then MW2 at the very least, but meh. These days I'm usually playing Arcade games, until Reach.

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

ODST is in no way a AAA game, it has a Metacritic of like 80 which is much more reasonable.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
[QUOTE="dog_dirt"][QUOTE="lucky_star"] How do explain PD0 getting a 9?lucky_star

While there is plenty to say about PDZ, I throw my two cents in for the hell of it. Quite frankly it was a bunch of akward ideas thrown together into a shooter with shonky design elements, combat and some just plain horrible level design. There were some quite good missions though, pity it was few and far in between... and I didn't mind the art style despite the horrible animations. Oh and the multiplayer, despite having so many options was a mess. The combat was poor enough to fall into a mess of players awkwardly circle strafing and shooting. To be honest it just wasn't a good game, the critical reception astounds me in retrospect, as there is so much in it that goes against good shooter design (especially compared to GoldenEye and the original Perfect Dark). Was it general launch hype hysteria? Well reviewers are gamers to..
mgkennedy5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 mgkennedy5
Member since 2005 • 1501 Posts
ODST was too short for a 9 IMO, but not a terrible game
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
That 9.0 for ODST gets more and more mind boggling. Truly seeing the world in Halo covered eyes they were. I think a hearty 8.0 would have sufficed. Good game, but certainly not AAA in terms of quality or value.
Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#47 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

The reviwer is really hot for Halo. :shock:like that bird is coco for coco puffs. :lol:.

JonSnow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 JonSnow777
Member since 2009 • 787 Posts

After all this time, Halo is still making people cry.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

I agree with TC. If ODST would have launched at $30.00 then it would have deserved an 8.0 but at $60.00 it should have been a rated a 7.0.

The fact ODST got a 9.0 is suspect but to be fair games like GTA4 and MGS4 didn't deserve 10.0 ratings either.

Anjunaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Anjunaddict
Member since 2010 • 4178 Posts
ODST was a fantastic game. The atmosphere was fantastic, especially the rookie parts, and the classic Halo gameplay was as good as ever. The soundtrack alone deserved a 9.0. Quit crying and get over it.