Ocarina of Time --- Will it regain the top spot on Gamerankings?

• 131 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AvIdGaMeR444
Member since 2004 • 7031 Posts

GTA IV (PS3) = 97.982%

GTA IV (360) = 97.776%

Ocarina of Time = 97.688%

It is very close. So, what does your crystal ball tell you? Will OoT regain the top spot?

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp?rankings=y

iamright05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 iamright05
Member since 2008 • 230 Posts
I hope so, GTAIV has too many problems to be that high.
yellowandmushy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 yellowandmushy
Member since 2006 • 2095 Posts
I --- do --- not --- know.
Auroni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#4 Auroni
Member since 2004 • 1284 Posts

Unfortunately yes. In the last 48 hours, GTA IV has been hit hard. It's close and a lot of reviews are still coming. I just hope it doesn't go below SMG but most likely it will.

goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts
GTA4 is pretty damn overhyped, so I hope it drops down. it's not a bad game, just no where, not even close to, as revolutionary as LoZ:OoT.
lantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 lantus
Member since 2006 • 10591 Posts
I hope so, GTA IV is a fantastic game, but not 10 worthy on any site IMO.
Avatar image for thermovie644064
thermovie644064

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thermovie644064
Member since 2007 • 252 Posts
man that game droped quick last time i saw it they both had like 98.some % ps3 and 360 verson i hope it stays at the top though cause that zelda game has been there for far to long
AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AvIdGaMeR444

GTA4 is pretty damn overhyped, so I hope it drops down. it's not a bad game, just no where, not even close to, as revolutionary as LoZ:OoT.goblaa

As I see it, Ocarina of Time was far more revolutionary in 1998 than GTA IV is in 2008. After playing GTA IV a lot, I really like the game, but I still can't believe it scored a 10 here.

bstarter29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 bstarter29
Member since 2006 • 2339 Posts
The PS3 version is ranked higher? This I was not aware of.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
Hopefulyu not, it doesn't deserve the spot. Altough it's quite likely it will regain it, GTA4 reviews are still coming and the reviews for OoT are a joke (only few highest ones included, GR didn't exist in 1998, so the OoT score isn't a sum of all the reviews, unlike GTA4 score)
bstarter29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bstarter29

man that game droped quick last time i saw it they both had like 98.some % ps3 and 360 verson i hope it stays at the top though cause that zelda game has been there for far to longthermovie644064

"That" Zelda game?

I'm heartbroken.

AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 AvIdGaMeR444

The PS3 version is ranked higher? This I was not aware of.bstarter29

Not shocking. Nearly every gaming website has said the PS3 version is slightly better. It is possible that GTA IV (PS3) keeps the top spot, but Ocarina of Time overtakes GTA IV (360).

JayPee89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JayPee89
Member since 2005 • 3488 Posts

If it does it will only be because of the amount of reviews. Currently the 360 version has 20 more reviews, and the PS3 has 6 more and both are still higher than OoT. I really don't care at the end of the day though, imo Zelda is a joke compared to GTA, regardless of what critics say.

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Zeliard9
Member since 2007 • 6030 Posts
People are really looking back at Ocarina of Time with rose-tinted glasses.
Avatar image for thermovie644064
thermovie644064

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thermovie644064
Member since 2007 • 252 Posts

[QUOTE="thermovie644064"]man that game droped quick last time i saw it they both had like 98.some % ps3 and 360 verson i hope it stays at the top though cause that zelda game has been there for far to longbstarter29

"That" Zelda game?

I'm heartbroken.

LOL sorry dude. I know what zelda game it is just didnt feel like typing it for some reason. i have never been a zelda fan though but i respect what the games have done for gaming there just not my cup of tea

bstarter29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bstarter29

What is this? A Zelda hate thread. Everyone knows:

OoT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Any GTA ever

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#17 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
Hopefully. Nothing can beat that. Unless its from 2007, which is the only year to rival 1998 :P.
bstarter29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bstarter29
[QUOTE="bstarter29"]

[QUOTE="thermovie644064"]man that game droped quick last time i saw it they both had like 98.some % ps3 and 360 verson i hope it stays at the top though cause that zelda game has been there for far to longthermovie644064

"That" Zelda game?

I'm heartbroken.

LOL sorry dude. I know what zelda game it is just didnt feel like typing it for some reason. i have never been a zelda fan though but i respect what the games have done for gaming there just not my cup of tea

Oh, it's o.k. I was just thinking you may be someone who had never heard of OoT or something.

There are people out there who haven't.

AvIdGaMeR444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 AvIdGaMeR444

People are really looking back at Ocarina of Time with rose-tinted glasses.Zeliard9

Ocarina of Time was amazing for its time, and still is a great game. I recognize the flaws though. I would hope that 10 years from now, we could look back at GTA IV and say it was a great game, but it had a lot of flaws. In fact, I'm seeing some flaws already.

goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 goodlay
Member since 2005 • 5773 Posts
I can understand if SM64 had a 97% or whatever, but why is OoT up there? So I don't really care. I mean I loved OoT when it came out but it did have some problems that really annoyed me, especially in the dungeons.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#21 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts

[QUOTE="bstarter29"]The PS3 version is ranked higher? This I was not aware of.AvIdGaMeR444

Not shocking. Nearly every gaming website has said the PS3 version is slightly better. It is possible that GTA IV (PS3) keeps the top spot, but Ocarina of Time overtakes GTA IV (360).

No, that is not why.

Some sites review both the PS3 and 360 version, while others just review the 360 version or the PS3 version. The PS3 version has 38 reviews, and some of the ones it has, the 360 version doesn't. The 360 version has 52 reviews.

They are so close, anyway. Trust me; if 45 sites reviewed the 360 and PS3 version, and they were all the same critics, they'd have the exact same score.

BearEatsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BearEatsMan
Member since 2007 • 314 Posts

If it does it will only be because of the amount of reviews. Currently the 360 version has 20 more reviews, and the PS3 has 6 more and both are still higher than OoT. I really don't care at the end of the day though, imo Zelda is a joke compared to GTA, regardless of what critics say.

JayPee89

OoT is a joke compared to GTAIV... :|

Sry I've played GTAIV a good 5 hours and I'm still scratching my head wondering why everyone gave it such amazing reviews.

I know you'll say "Nononono wait wait wait it picks up," but the game being hailed as "the game of the decade" shouldn't take that long to get started.

lovemenow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 lovemenow
Member since 2005 • 8001 Posts

I --- do --- not --- know.yellowandmushy

same here...but i saw tekken 3...that game was awesome..i liked that character select music in that game

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zeliard9
[QUOTE="thermovie644064"][QUOTE="bstarter29"]

[QUOTE="thermovie644064"]man that game droped quick last time i saw it they both had like 98.some % ps3 and 360 verson i hope it stays at the top though cause that zelda game has been there for far to longbstarter29

"That" Zelda game?

I'm heartbroken.

Oh, it's o.k. I was just thinking you may be someone who had never heard of OoT or something.

I'm wondering how many people have seriously even played OoT. This idea that a superior game hasn't been released in the past decade is completely laughable. Just looking at PC games alone, Half-Life came out the same week as OoT and wipes the floor with it, with the likes of System Shock 2, Baldur's Gate 2 and Deus Ex as other Ocarina-crushing PC contemporaries.

People really need to stop putting OoT on such a ridiculously high pedestal, especially when it comes to something as subjective as the quality of a video game, and especially since it's all based on arbitrary numbers. There were better games than it long before now.

goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 goodlay
[QUOTE="bstarter29"][QUOTE="thermovie644064"][QUOTE="bstarter29"]

[QUOTE="thermovie644064"]man that game droped quick last time i saw it they both had like 98.some % ps3 and 360 verson i hope it stays at the top though cause that zelda game has been there for far to longZeliard9

"That" Zelda game?

I'm heartbroken.

I'm wondering how many people have seriously even played OoT. This idea that a superior game hasn't been released in the past decade is completely laughable. Just looking at PC games alone, Half-Life came out the same week as OoT and wipes the floor with it, with the likes of System Shock 2, Baldur's Gate 2 and Deus Ex as other Ocarina-crushing PC contemporaries.

People really need to stop putting OoT on such a ridiculously high pedestal, especially when it comes to something as subjective as the quality of a video game, and especially since it's all based on arbitrary numbers. There were better games than it long before now.

It's okay. It's pretty obvious which side you're on when you have a GTAIV sig.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#26 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

I think it will regain it, or rather it should in my opinion. While I was on the 'happy GTA IV is the new number 1' bandwagon at first, once the honeymoon was over, I found that the game was not so 'perfect' afterall. Still a fantastic production and great game overall though.

It is kind of like hooking up with a fine chick. Man, at first you think that she is absolutely perfect, but after you sleep with her for a while....sooner or later you get a big whiff of one of those farts and you quickly realize that no matter how fine she really is....she is still far from being 'perfect.'

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zeliard9
[QUOTE="Zeliard9"]

People really need to stop putting OoT on such a ridiculously high pedestal, especially when it comes to something as subjective as the quality of a video game, and especially since it's all based on arbitrary numbers. There were better games than it long before now.goodlay

And it's pretty obvious which side you're on when you fail to form an argument in response. GTAIV detractors seem to struggle mightily in doing this, which comes as no surprise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
deactivated-5f4694ac412a8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#28 deactivated-5f4694ac412a8
Member since 2005 • 8599 Posts

[QUOTE="thermovie644064"]man that game droped quick last time i saw it they both had like 98.some % ps3 and 360 verson i hope it stays at the top though cause that zelda game has been there for far to longZeliard9

"That" Zelda game?

I'm heartbroken.

Oh, it's o.k. I was just thinking you may be someone who had never heard of OoT or something. Path:

I think there have been many games better than Ocarina of Time in the past decade. It's still in my top 15 or top 20 favorite games of all time, despite having me play it for the first time in late October 2006.

I don't know what it was like at the time, but at the time, Ocarina of Time was really something. I would explain what it is, but I am so tired right now. Maybe tomorrow.

goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 goodlay
[QUOTE="goodlay"][QUOTE="Zeliard9"]

People really need to stop putting OoT on such a ridiculously high pedestal, especially when it comes to something as subjective as the quality of a video game, and especially since it's all based on arbitrary numbers. There were better games than it long before now.Zeliard9

And it's pretty obvious which side you're on when you fail to form an argument in response. GTAIV detractors seem to struggle mightily in doing this, which comes as no surprise.

Nah, it just isn't worth argueing with someone who discredits reviews, and claims on an internet forum that their opinion matters more.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
A couple 9/10's should fix GTAIV's averages pretty quick and shoot OoT back up into the top spot. Like with Mario Galaxy, a few "lower than perfect" scores will drop the averages fast.
Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Zeliard9
[QUOTE="Zeliard9"][QUOTE="goodlay"][QUOTE="Zeliard9"]

People really need to stop putting OoT on such a ridiculously high pedestal, especially when it comes to something as subjective as the quality of a video game, and especially since it's all based on arbitrary numbers. There were better games than it long before now.goodlay

Nah, it just isn't worth argueing with someone who discredits reviews, and claims on an internet forum that their opinion matters more.

I'm not discrediting reviews, nor did I ever claim that my opinion matters more. Stop with the strawmans, and fix your reading comprehension. You're borderline trolling here. Also ironic that you would try to say I'm discrediting reviews, while in another thread you're crying about all the 10/10s GTAIV has gotten. So I guess that makes you a hypocrite, too. You're a piece of work.

goodlay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 goodlay
[QUOTE="goodlay"][QUOTE="Zeliard9"][QUOTE="goodlay"][QUOTE="Zeliard9"]

People really need to stop putting OoT on such a ridiculously high pedestal, especially when it comes to something as subjective as the quality of a video game, and especially since it's all based on arbitrary numbers. There were better games than it long before now.Zeliard9

I'm not discrediting reviews, nor did I ever claim that my opinion matters more. Stop with the strawmans, and fix your reading comprehension. You're borderline trolling here. Also ironic that you would try to say I'm discrediting reviews, while in another thread you're crying about all the 10/10s GTAIV has gotten. So I guess that makes you a hypocrite, too. You're a piece of work.

You claim it's laughable that no one has given a perfect score after OoT and that their are games that wipe the floor with it. That statement alone should just make you stop talking since you are clearly saying that their should have been a game that gotten a 10 since that's your opinion. Borderline trolling? Don't make me laugh.

Zeliard9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Zeliard9

You claim it's laughable that no one has given a perfect score after OoT and that their are games that wipe the floor with it. That statement alone should just make you stop talking since you are clearly saying that their should have been a game that gotten a 10 since that's your opinion. Borderline trolling? Don't make me laugh.

goodlay

Huh? I think you need to read my post again, because I don't think you understood it. I have no idea what you're talking about, and I never said anything like that. I don't even know what that means. Nobody has given a perfect score after OoT? There have been 10/10s since OoT, from Gamespot and IGN and others. So yeah, no clue what you're on about.

funnymario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 funnymario
Member since 2005 • 9122 Posts
Seriously, have any of you actually played OoT lately? It's really not that great. A game should be weighted on more than fond memories alone.
NEILMEHTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 NEILMEHTA
Member since 2005 • 525 Posts

"That" Zelda game?

I'm heartbroken.

Dude, OoT was revolutionary, those games are not.

I even say TP is better than OoT, but it did not do much to revolutionize the genre. Metroid Prime was revolutionary, Metriod Prime 2 wasn't as much. SM64 was revolutionary, but sunshine is not, however galaxy is. See what im saying here. Half life was not as revolutionary. Same with those other games.

NEILMEHTA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NEILMEHTA
Member since 2005 • 525 Posts

Seriously, have any of you actually played OoT lately? It's really not that great. A game should be weighted on more than fond memories alone.funnymario

Imagine playing a 3rd person game without a lockon feature, then you can understand what OoT did to the genre.

TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts

GTAIV deserves to remain in the top 10, perhaps even top 5... but #1? Eh, not so sure.

Awesome game, but it's no perfect 10.

odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts
Its a given its the better game. Now that people know other review sites were payed off the game shouldn't even be listed in gamerankings with scores at all.
Auroni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#39 Auroni
Member since 2004 • 1284 Posts

Ocarina of Time is a great game. However, GTA III is the most revolutionary game of this decade. I really think reviewers didn't give that game enough credit. GTA III should have been the game that got 10s everywhere. However, GTA IV has improved and added so much more. The GTA series is an acquired taste. Haters will always be haters of the series. GTA IV is not the best game ever made but I think the series as awhole is deserving of a perfect 10.

linkin_guy109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 linkin_guy109
Member since 2005 • 8864 Posts
i hope not, i find it kind of unfair that oot is able to stay there with only 32 reviews but yet the gta4 keeps on getting reviews in and is well past 32 reviews
azell07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 azell07
Member since 2006 • 281 Posts
half life not revolutionary?! crack is wacked dude. zelda ocarina of time is a good game, but is not the best action rpg ever, and it isnt the best game ever made.... by far. imho. snes had better rpgs, thats fact.
evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

If you want to see how good a game actually is, and how " revolutionary " it was, go back and play the same game today, and judge it by today's standards in gameplay, story, interaction and overall fun.

You will find Zelda : OoT just does not hold up to the test of time the way that other games do.

Go play Baldur's Gate 2 right now, and see what you think. Go play Planescape : Torment, or Half-Life. These are games that were released years ago, and in the same general time frame as OoT and even by today's standards have much better gameplay. They are more complex, more interesting, deeper, and overall better games.

Zelda : OoT was praised and renown because it was a evolution of the Zelda franchise, not an evolution of gaming. The Zelda franchise was already so far behind gaming at the time any step forward would be a good step.

Zelda : OoT was a good game, and the best of the Zelda games to date. But hardly the best game of all time by any stretch of the imagination.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

Zeliard9

If you want to see how good a game actually is, and how " revolutionary " it was, go back and play the same game today, and judge it by today's standards in gameplay, story, interaction and overall fun.

You will find Zelda : OoT just does not hold up to the test of time the way that other games do.

Go play Baldur's Gate 2 right now, and see what you think. Go play Planescape : Torment, or Half-Life. These are games that were released years ago, and in the same general time frame as OoT and even by today's standards have much better gameplay. They are more complex, more interesting, deeper, and overall better games.

Zelda : OoT was praised and renown because it was a evolution of the Zelda franchise, not an evolution of gaming. The Zelda franchise was already so far behind gaming at the time any step forward would be a good step.

Zelda : OoT was a good game, and the best of the Zelda games to date. But hardly the best game of all time by any stretch of the imagination.

evilross

It's not about whether games are better, because games will always get better. It's about a game's positive influence and impact on the industry.

Ocarina idealized the 3D action-adventure genre. It didn't perfect it, but pretty much every action-adventure game that came after it can trace its game mechanics in some major way to Ocarina. Now, there are many games that had the same effect on their particular genre -- GTAIII for example -- but Ocarina accomplished it without any major flaws in its execution (meaning: the biggest objections you can make about the game are either based purely on personal preference, or are minor flaws), and most importantly, it accomplished this with no game design predecessor except a 2D game series with which it shared only a common mission structure.

GTAIV accomplished something similar by (IMO) idealizing the open-world sandbox genre, but unlike Ocarina, GTAIV was an evolution, not a revolution. All of GTAIV's mechanics and improvements can be traced either to previous GTAs, or to other games. The same can also be said for the PC games you've mentioned. Now, if GTAIII had had all of GTAIV's improvements, then GTAIII would've been an accomplishment equal to Ocarina in terms of impact. But GTAIII itself had several clear flaws in its game design that, as I understand it, weren't even addressed until GTAIV.

funnymario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#44 funnymario
Member since 2005 • 9122 Posts

[QUOTE="funnymario"]Seriously, have any of you actually played OoT lately? It's really not that great. A game should be weighted on more than fond memories alone.NEILMEHTA

Imagine playing a 3rd person game without a lockon feature, then you can understand what OoT did to the genre.

Well, that's all fine and well but GTA4 has lock-on and free aim. Not to mention a ton of things Zelda doesn't have. Why should it be put ahead of GTA4?
metalisticpain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#45 metalisticpain
Member since 2005 • 3536 Posts

Everyone can argue about it as much as they like, but in the end it all comes down to personal preference. You shouldn't be so argumentative about which is ranked number 1 because the system is so flawed to begin with. First its based on subjective reviews, and then not an even amount of reviews are given.

I personally would like to see OoT regain the throne, just because it feels weird it not being there, and i also love Zelda. GTA doesn't to me seem like it revolutionises anything. It has improvements but nothing that outstanding. but then i haven't played it.

The list is not saying OoT is a better game then GTA4 today, its saying which game was considered at the time to give the biggest advancement to the video game industry. Zelda moved the action adventure genre into the 3rd dimension almost perfectly. It did it so well with nothing to use as a base is why it was given a 10. GTA4 has been given a 10 because the story is apparently fantastic, the character is extremely like-able, and most of the game-play systems have been refined to where its pulled off fantastic.

Ofcourse this is all still personal opinion of the reviewer. Just remember. OoT being number 1 does not mean its a better game then HL2 or GTA4. You personally might consider it a better game, but the number on the ladder means next to nothing other then to say that all games listed 1-10 were superb games for their time which pushed the industry forward.

Edit: Spelling

evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 evilross
[QUOTE="Zeliard9"]I'm wondering how many people have seriously even playedOoT. This idea that a superior game hasn't been released in the past decade is completely laughable. Just looking at PC games alone, Half-Life came out the same week as OoT and wipes the floor with it, with the likes of System Shock 2, Baldur's Gate 2 and Deus Ex as other Ocarina-crushing PC contemporaries.

mjarantilla

evilross

It's not about whether games are better, because games will always get better. It's about a game's positive influence and impact on the industry.

Ocarina idealized the 3D action-adventure genre. It didn't perfectit, but pretty much every action-adventure game that came after it can trace its game mechanics in some major way to Ocarina. Now, there are many games that had the same effect on their particular genre -- GTAIII for example -- but Ocarina accomplished it without any major flaws in its execution (meaning: the biggest objections you can make about the game are either based purely on personal preference, or are minor flaws), and most importantly, it accomplished this with no game design predecessor except a 2D game series with which it shared only a common mission structure.

GTAIV accomplished something similar by (IMO) idealizing the open-world sandbox genre, but unlike Ocarina, GTAIV was an evolution, not a revolution. All of GTAIV's mechanics and improvements can be traced either to previous GTAs, or to other games. The same can also be said for the PC games you've mentioned. Now, if GTAIIIhad had all of GTAIV's improvements, then GTAIII would've been an accomplishment equal to Ocarina in terms of impact. But GTAIII itself had several clear flaws in its game design that, as I understand it, weren't even addressed until GTAIV.

Your not taking into account all the other games that came before OoT that paved the way for the transition to a 3D environment. Your saying OoT perfected the 3D action adventure game, without a predecessor being a 3D game, but thats only because the series was late to coming to 3D. There were many, many, 3D action adventure games available long before OoT came along, and OoT borrowed liberally from those sources in its gameplay, as well as taking inspiration from its old roots.

A truly great game is a game that you can play right now, and it still seems fun, relevant, and fresh. OoT is a great game, but its not what I would consider "one of the greats" compared to the true heavyweights of gaming like Baldur's Gate, Doom 1, Half-Life 1, and Everquest.

Those are games that truly defined a genre, changed gaming, and moved gaming in a new direction. I'd even go as far as saying Super Mario Bros. and the original Legend of Zelda belong somewhere up on the list of the games that I mentioned that really deserve the praise of "one of the best of all time".

But OoT was more about the perfection and evolution of the series, not a standout and evolution in gaming.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

evilross

The problem with your part on Revolutionary is that its in comparison to a time frame. Zelda OOT was Revolutionary for its time but if you compared it to games that come out no it its. Why? Because back then Zelda OOT set a new standard to which today all the current games pretty much all meet.

To make it short and sweet. What was considered revolutionary 10 years ago isn't going to be revolutionary now.

thefjk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48 thefjk
Member since 2003 • 4324 Posts
Rockstar cheated us all man... we never saw anything until the game launched. Being drawn to the hype everyone gave it a 10.
bstickq1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bstickq1
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
GTA4 was higher when it and OOT had the same amount of reviews. That's all that matters.
evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 evilross
[QUOTE="evilross"]

Blackbond

The problem with your part on Revolutionary is that its in comparison to a time frame. Zelda OOT was Revolutionary for its time but if you compared it to games that come out no it its. Why? Because back then Zelda OOT set a new standard to which today all the current games pretty much all meet.

To make it short and sweet. What was considered revolutionary 10 years ago isn't going to be revolutionary now.

The problem with your part on this whole idea is that it is not in comparison to any time frame. Games that are truly worthy of the "Best of All Time" logo are games that transcend genre, graphics, and time-frames.

Games like Doom, Baldur's Gate, and Half-Life changed gaming, and did new things, and in the case of Baldur's Gate, blurred the lined between video games and other forms of entertainment like books and film.

OoT did none of that. It was a great game, and it perfected the 3rd person adventure at the time, but it was a late comer had time to prefect the system, and drew on its established fanbase to propel itself to greatness.

There is no game today that comes out, expecting to be judged by the standards of Zelda : OoT. Your idea of it setting a standard relevant to today is ridiculous. However, games like Baldur's Gate are still revered by modern devs like Bethesda as " the pinnacle of gaming " and " something that we would like to achieve "