Now this is pathetic , MS begs AMD for help

This topic is locked from further discussion.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

Microsoft to AMD: Please help us!

Staying home and gaming is definitely a trend during the pandemic, but it has been hard for people to get their hands on the latest consoles.

Since their November launches, Sony's PlayStation 5 and Microsoft's Xbox Series X and Series S consoles have generated greater demand than the companies can keep up with, frustrating customers who are carefully monitoring for restocks and second-hand listings for the consoles.Microsoft Executive Vice President of Gaming Phil Spencer acknowledged the Xbox shortage in a podcast interview last week with Xbox Live programming director Larry Hryb, and said he has sought help from chipmaker AMD (AMD) in making more units available. AMD makes the processor and graphics chips for the Xbox consoles."I was on the phone last week with (CEO) Lisa Su at AMD (asking), 'How do we get more? How do we get more?,' So it's something that we're constantly working on," Spencer said. He did not go into detail about how AMD might help make more units available more quickly, and AMD did not immediately respond to CNN Business' request for comment."We got the consoles launched — wish we had more of them, we're selling out too quickly," Spencer added.The Xbox Series X and Series S are currently out of stock at all retailers where they are sold, according to the Xbox website. Xbox executives have previously said the shortage could last until this spring.

While some analysts speculated in November that Microsoft (MSFT) (and Sony (SNE)) had intentionally limited production of the consoles to help maximize profits, Spencer said on the podcast that is not the case for the Xbox."We're not holding them back, we're building them as fast as we can," Spencer said. "We have all of the assembly lines going."He added that the reason for the limited supply comes "down to physics and engineering." Spencer did not elaborate on exactly what that means.

"We have seen overwhelming global demand from our fans for the next generation of Xbox and are working tirelessly with our retail partners to replenish Xbox hardware as quickly as possible — in some instances, that will be on a weekly basis depending on the retailer and market," a Microsoft spokesperson said in a statement. "We can't wait for fans to experience gaming on Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S. Please check in with your local retailers directly for more details on availability in your market."

Many companies have experienced supply chain disruptions, as well as shortages caused by surging demand, during the pandemic.Spencer noted that when it comes to demand, gaming has been no exception.During its most recent quarterly earnings report in October, Microsoft posted 30% year-over-year revenue growth for Xbox content and services; by contrast, revenue growth for the segment was flat during the same period in the prior year. AMD in October announced record quarterly revenue for the three months ending in September — posting revenue growth of 56% compared to the year-ago quarter — thanks to strong demand for products such as those that power personal computers, gaming systems, data storage and cloud computing, tools that have become even more essential during the pandemic."I think gaming has really come into its own in 2020," Spencer said. "Obviously, PlayStation 5 is in very tight supply, and when you look at the graphics cards from AMD and Nvidia. There's just a lot of interest in gaming right now. Console sales are just a sign of that, game sales are just a sign of that. And hardware is in short supply, but we're working as hard as we can."Microsoft's stock is up nearly 37% over the past year; AMD's has risen almost 91%.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/04/tech/xbox-amd-console-shortages/index.html

good luck MS

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

I don't think you know the definition of the word "beg." Did you actually read the article or just link it?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15940 Posts

Lmao Phil trying insert himself into the conversation as always.

Anyhow news outlets reported TSMC production capacity for AMD is at its max due to PS5 demand and ofcourse their other gpus.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I think it's reasonable for a company that uses another company's products to request more of the need should arise. I'm sure Sony has asked them the same.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#5 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts

Considering AMD don't make their own chips ever since they spun off GlobalFoundries, I'm not entirely sure what they can really do. Maybe sign a few more deals with other fabs? Last I heard, they're all nearly maxed out already.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Expect usual supply next year, pandemic getting worse first.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39084 Posts

I tought this thread was about MS begging AMD to do something about their poor performing multiplats. Now that would be good content.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9822 Posts

@daredevils2k: Your interpretation of the article is pathetic.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

cows mad disease.

xbox demand got fannyboys awake at night

hah

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44263 Posts

Good grief. Some of you clowns just get more sad everyday. I wouldn’t have thought that possible yet here we are. 😅

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11126 Posts

I mean, things are getting worse worldwide, Phil. I think trying to push your glorious era of Xbox isn't really possible right now. Hell, why don't you compensate European stores to allocate their unsold Series S stock to the US.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9859 Posts

What did Phil do wrong 🤷🏻‍♂️? I honestly don’t get it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69659 Posts

I thought no one was buying the Series X but now you have a thread about not being able to keep up.😂

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts

@daredevils2k: You have done nothing but post the article put some effort into your trolling

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4579 Posts

Well that was misleading. Why wouldn't MS ask AMD to ramp up production of their hardware so they can get more units into customers hands? I'm sure Sony has done the same thing due to the high demand of the PS5 and shortages of the hardware.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

1) Why is it pathetic? If anything it is simply evidence that there is more demand for XBoxes than current supply

2) you need to put some discussion into your topic or it'll get locked. Hint - you could answer #1 assuming you have one

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17 Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

It probably wasn't a good idea on AMD's part to release their own next gen GPU this year either because I'd imagine there's a lot of component cross over with that as well. AMD certainly has their hands full right now trying to handle the demands of all three.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

Phil should have asked Lisa to clock the GPUs at an appropriate speed for RDNA 2.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@daredevils2k: Oh? And you think Sony isn't having a similar conversation with AMD? LOL.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69659 Posts

@goldenelementxl said:

Phil should have asked Lisa to clock the GPUs at an appropriate speed for RDNA 2.

Shots fired.

I actually thought it was with regards to the current performance issues with the hardware. With that said, I think the issues is more on MS end than AMD.

Duckyindiana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Duckyindiana
Member since 2006 • 3040 Posts

@xantufrog: Why not just lock it rather than giving this troll a chance he knows the rules been trolling here long enough lol

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44589 Posts

It's pathetic they would like to make more because they sell out what they ship and wants to work with AMD to help facilitate more supply so they can meet demand. Oh the the shame, only in Sony land where you believe Qanon bullshit like Duracell and Microsoft involved in a satanic human sacrificing cabal to make consumers buy copper tops.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20120 Posts

I don’t think this article says what you think it says.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@Pedro said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Shots fired.

I actually thought it was with regards to the current performance issues with the hardware. With that said, I think the issues is more on MS end than AMD.

If you're referring to the issues with maintaining a stable frame rate, I always suspected that was probably firmware or driver related. Since the XBsX does have better hardware and a better cooling system. If so, they need to fix it ASAP.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Yeah... this isn't getting fixed