Now that it is official!

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 298

User Lists: 0

Poll Now that it is official! (17 votes)

Nintendo domination continuation! 100+ million units sold! (Nintendo Switch) 65%
Valve's epic comeback imminent!! Just you wait! (Steam Deck) 35%

Now that our resident experts at GameSpot have made it OFFICIAL that the Steam Deck is a "legit competitor" to the Nintendo Switch (quote at ~6:30), how do you feel about this match up? Will the Nintendo Switch take the cake for best hybrid console or is the cake just a lie?

(Audience laughs)

Anyways just pick your favorite.

• 
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39906 Posts

If only Casey was still around to mald on the Deck success😎

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61550 Posts

Sadly I have not had any experience, nor any reason to own the Deck. For gaming on the go, it's definitely a decent product.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2990 Posts

@hardwenzen said:

If only Casey was still around to mald on the Deck success😎

I'm not sure what that word means but I'll tell ya it seems like GameSpot in general has been pushing the deck hard lately.

Personally though, until I can find a real reason to give it up I will be sticking with the Switch faction as I can just play all my Steam games on PC and don't have real interest in mobile gaming - I mean I use the switch out of the dock only a little bit. It's not to say the Steam Deck isn't a cool device though.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58543 Posts

I wasn't aware Valve was making, or needed to make, a "comeback". They're doing just fine, Deck or no Deck.

In either case, I don't see them as competitors; I think people buy the Switch because they want Nintendo, and the portability is a plus, while people buy the Deck specifically for portability.

I could be wrong, and I am sure there is some overlap, but I just don't see it.

If you want to concern yourself with competition, compare both to mobile phone gaming. Then things get interesting...and kind of depressing.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#5 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Sam3231:

Well...the Steam Deck isn't trying to be really a hybrid, is it? I still want one at some point too. Just like, not. Now. But EVENTUALLY. After I get caught up with the current gen consoles. And if there's nothing else I need to buy... So, yeah. Some day.

Sam3231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sam3231
Member since 2008 • 2990 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

I wasn't aware Valve was making, or needed to make, a "comeback". They're doing just fine, Deck or no Deck.

In either case, I don't see them as competitors; I think people buy the Switch because they want Nintendo, and the portability is a plus, while people buy the Deck specifically for portability.

I could be wrong, and I am sure there is some overlap, but I just don't see it.

If you want to concern yourself with competition, compare both to mobile phone gaming. Then things get interesting...and kind of depressing.

It's not exactly fair to say they have to make a comeback as I was just being a little facetious. However how far do you think the deck will go compared to the Switch? Will it sell 10 million, 20 million etc.?

In the video he goes as far as saying it's pretty much a console so I figure why not compare?

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16617 Posts

@Sam3231: you misunderstand...the reason they are pushing the deck so hard is because Valve brought out the brinks trucks and started filling up GS bank accounts. This is how things work.

Though, the deck is still awesome no doubt.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23735 Posts

Personally not interested in either as a gaming device. Don't do handheld gaming. I own a Switch because I like Nintendo games and the occasional Platinum title. Deck is a better machine with a better library, but I have a PC for that.

Don't think Deck will ever scratch Nintendo numbers. Brand recognition through the roof, IPs on lock, first to hit mass market with such a device.

It really doesn't need to though. It's not like other gaming devices that must hit a threshold to guarantee support. The games are already there regardless.

For Deck fans, pretty sure the only numbers concern would be hoping it does well enough to guarantee successors. And from the looks of it, seems it's heading that way.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44679 Posts

As cool as the Steam Deck is, and it certainly is, it’s no competitor to the Switch. Not by a long shot. Until they can get it on store shelves like Best Buy and Walmart it will never be a competitor in that regard.