Now that 360 graphics have failed to match PS3's, is there any hope for Gears 3?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KevinButlerVP
Member since 2010 • 2378 Posts

a while back Alan Wake's graphics were hyped through the roof, it was even said to look better than Uncharted 2. well now that AW and many other 360 games graphics were hyped for best looking game on consoles and have failed to match PS3 graphics, is there really any hope for Gears 3 to match PS3's amazing graphics?

especially since every game 360 game before has not matched up PS3's quality graphics??

Avatar image for Infinite_Access
Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Infinite_Access
Member since 2007 • 2483 Posts

a while back Alan Wake's graphics were hyped through the roof, it was even said to look better than Uncharted 2. well now that AW and many other 360 games graphics were hyped for best looking game on consoles and have failed to match PS3 graphics, is there really any hope for Gears 3 to match PS3's amazing graphics?

especially since every game 360 game before has not matched up PS3's quality graphics??

KevinButlerVP

Obligatory argument about how the developers just haven't pushed the hardware.

dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Until a 360 game comes out and proves otherwise, then no.

Maybe you should wait for Gears 3 to be released and then pass judgment on it?

Jamani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Jamani
Member since 2004 • 1782 Posts

KevinButlerVP
I think you shouldn't worry about graphics...and worry about the momentum 360 is on right now..outselling the PS3 every month...but but teeeeh graphicss.smh
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61534 Posts

Gears has usually looked pretty damn impressive in both of their past iterations. I see no reason why Gears 3 won't follow suit. Will it look better than the PS3's best? I dunno. Does it need to? No.

Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

i wouldn't pay to much attention to whats in hype threads. i mean look at GT5 was hyped to be the best looking this side of crysis and we all know how badly that flopped.

in any case just because the PS2 has worse graphics that the XBOX did that mean you throw out you PS2

Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mrmccormo
Member since 2011 • 870 Posts
Gears 2 hardly managed to match the graphics in Gears 1. EPIC simply threw on some new filters and added more enemies per scene, but the actual textures and models are pretty much the same as Gears 1. Gears 3 will probably match the graphics of MGS4 or maybe JUST maybe get close to Uncharted 2 to which everyone will (once again) recant the "gameplay is more important than graphics" mantra and start bragging about Gears 3 and how it looks better than any PS3 exclusive ever made. However the nice part of this is that fanboys will take a brief break from the pathetic "bu bu bu this game SOLDZ SO MUUUCH!" argument. Then Uncharted 3 or Last Guardian will launch and we'll be back to the same old "review scores don't matter" and "graphics don't matter" and my new favorite "exclusives don't matter" nonsense.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

if you are so worried about gfx why are you playing games on a console.

OMG! I'M HIDING BEHIND PC!!! MY TRANSFORMATION IS COMPLETE AND IT'S OFFICIAL I'M A COW!!!!! :cry:

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

In some ways Alan Wake is easily on par with GOW3 and U2. Its not like PS3 exclusives are a generation ahead in terms of graphics like most cows tend to believe.

Stringerboy

The majority of the time I game on PS3 and I do not think it is a generation ahead. I even argue that the PC isn't a gneraration ahead. The PS3 exclusives do tend to look better. GOW 3 did beat out Alan Wake for graphics award and nothing can top U2 at the moment.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

in any case just because the PS2 has worse graphics that the XBOX did that mean you throw out you PS2

Vinegar_Strokes

Exactly.

Graphics can only only take a title so far, they're not the be all and end all of a good game..

To be honest, Gears 3 might beat out a few PS3 exclusives but probably won't surpass KZ3 or U3.

But you know what? Life goes on...

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

KevinButlerVP
:lol: alan wake wasn't hyped to look better than uncharted 2. Once again i'll ask for proof.
KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KevinButlerVP

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"]

Animal-Mother

:lol: alan wake wasn't hyped to look better than uncharted 2. Once again i'll ask for proof.

here's one, but theres many others

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27101056

Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"][QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"]

KevinButlerVP

is this your first gen gaming then kevin
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Animal-Mother

KevinButlerVP

Lol, I don't see many people saying it'll look better than uncharted 2. Always gotta pick on alan wake. I wonder what did it do again?
KevinButlerVP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 KevinButlerVP
[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"]

[QUOTE="Animal-Mother"] :lol: alan wake wasn't hyped to look better than uncharted 2. Once again i'll ask for proof.Animal-Mother

Lol, I don't see many people saying it'll look better than uncharted 2. Always gotta pick on alan wake. I wonder what did it do again?

nothing looked better than uncharted 2 so claiming it will be the best looking game on consoles is claiming it will look better than uncharted 2
Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Animal-Mother

KevinButlerVP

nothing looked better than uncharted 2 so claiming it will be the best looking game on consoles is claiming it will look better than uncharted 2

Alan Wake couldn't be graphics king on solely 360 :? Interesting.

Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

Just because the PS2 has worse graphics that the XBOX did that mean you throw out you PS2

Vinegar_Strokes

Exactly. It's all about the games & the library, & not the hardware. If the hardware with better graphics were the case, then the Xbox would've easily won against both the GC & PS2 last gen. And honestly, most PC games in the book look much better than the exclusives on PS3, anyway.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

KevinButlerVP
who cares, theres more to games than graphics and the 360 still has the most high rated games,besides, i would rather play my multiplats like RDR in HD, not to mention the Ps3 still doesn't have left4dead, a big minus in my opinion, it also doesn't have a decent space simulator like darkstar one, if graphics is all you care about then you shouldn't call yourself a gamer, most of us where playing games in the 80's when graphics where niether here not there, i didn't care about graphics then i don't care now, i care about having fun with my games and that has more to do with gameplay than graphics.
VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

I have both a 360 and PS3 and see very little difference at all in the graphics. I DO however see a HUGE difference in controllers "360 is best" and that the 360 has one of my favorite games on it "L4D" and the PS3 dont...SO...where does this leave us?

Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mrmccormo

[QUOTE="Vinegar_Strokes"]

Just because the PS2 has worse graphics that the XBOX did that mean you throw out you PS2

garland51

Exactly. It's all about the games & the library, & not the hardware. If the hardware with better graphics were the case, then the Xbox would've easily won against both the GC & PS2 last gen. And honestly, most PC games in the book look much better than the exclusives on PS3, anyway.

But you're arguing sales. Of course graphics don't necessarily make a console SELL more, but that's not the issue. (btw Xbox did win against the GC). If graphics don't matter, would you have been happy playing Halo 1 and 2 on the PS2 instead of the Xbox? Would you have accepted the smaller levels, fewer enemies, worse physics, and worse textures? What about Stranger's Wrath? Or what about Splinter Cell? EVERYONE knew those games are better on Xbox, not PS2. What about Ninja Gaiden or Dead or Alive 3? Would those have been better on PS2 with worse physics, worse textures, fewer enemies, etc.? And I'm SURE that people would have LOVED to play Jade Empire, KotOR, and KotOR 2 with downgraded graphics, right?
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"]

delta3074

who cares, theres more to games than graphics and the 360 still has the most high rated games,besides, i would rather play my multiplats like RDR in HD, not to mention the Ps3 still doesn't have left4dead, a big minus in my opinion, it also doesn't have a decent space simulator like darkstar one, if graphics is all you care about then you shouldn't call yourself a gamer, most of us where playing games in the 80's when graphics where niether here not there, i didn't care about graphics then i don't care now, i care about having fun with my games and that has more to do with gameplay than graphics.

true.. but games with great visuals can also be fun and have great gameplay.. GOW3, Geow2 & Ucharted2 are fine examples..

TC:- I Also think Alan Wake looks great and 360 didnt fail in terms of visuals, it has many great looking titles, both exclusives and multiplats..

CrustyBritches

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CrustyBritches
Member since 2011 • 56 Posts
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=27396234 Sony fanboys are so full of hyperbole and spin. Gears 3 will look every bit as good as Uncharted 3, but the fanboys will throw a fit and act like having lots of color makes a game better while posting bullshots. Just like Gran Turismo 5. How'd that work out for you? Getting owned like that by Forza 3 must hurt real bad. Expect FM4 to wipe the bathroom floor with GT5 like one who would use a mop to clean a dirty surface because they don't want to get on their hand and knees.
Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

[QUOTE="garland51"]

[QUOTE="Vinegar_Strokes"]

Mrmccormo

But you're arguing sales. Of course graphics don't necessarily make a console SELL more, but that's not the issue. (btw Xbox did win against the GC). If graphics don't matter, would you have been happy playing Halo 1 and 2 on the PS2 instead of the Xbox? Would you have accepted the smaller levels, fewer enemies, worse physics, and worse textures? What about Stranger's Wrath? Or what about Splinter Cell? EVERYONE knew those games are better on Xbox, not PS2. What about Ninja Gaiden or Dead or Alive 3? Would those have been better on PS2 with worse physics, worse textures, fewer enemies, etc.? And I'm SURE that people would have LOVED to play Jade Empire, KotOR, and KotOR 2 with downgraded graphics, right?

I know that & I know what you're saying, but Cows always tend to act superior whenever a certain great looking game comes around, & then says some gibberish like "LOL, 360 is weaker than the PS3!", etc., even though the specs for both systems prove to be just about the same with each other. It's just that Sony's developers push out greater graphics for their games because they have the talent & experience much more than the developers for MS has.

It's annoying, & it gets very old, very fast.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts
Does anyone really care? This gen is nothing like past ones where one machine was head and shoulders a step up on the competition graphically. Arguing over which has better graphics is like counting grains of sand. The two are so close, what difference does it make? None.
h575309

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26 h575309
Member since 2005 • 8551 Posts
Does anyone really care? This gen is nothing like past ones where one machine was head and shoulders a step up on the competition graphically. Arguing over which has better graphics is like counting grains of sand. The two are so close, what difference does it make? None. Ninja-Hippo
Yea but, having more grains of sand would make me cooler than you. I, in fact, have no sand :(
Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mrmccormo
I know that & I know what you're saying, but Cows always tend to act superior whenever a certain great looking game comes around, & then says some gibberish like "LOL, 360 is weaker than the PS3!", etc., even though the specs for both systems prove to be just about the same with each other. It's just that Sony's developers push out greater graphics for their games because they have the talent & experience much more than the developers for MS has.That gets very old, very fast.garland51
I understand what you are saying but my philosophy in gaming has always been "why not make it better?" Yes, fanboys get out of hand and they can make too big a deal of things (like graphics or content or whatever else they decide). That does NOT, however, negate the fact that graphics still matter. That does NOT negate the fact that PS3 devs have continued to push the boundaries of graphics wereas 360 devs are content to wallow in 2008. Screw fanboys, but when I see Sony pushing gorgeous games on PS3, it's not about comparison or matching pixels. It's about "why isn't Microsoft trying to achieve this?"
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
I hope it does look as good or better than Uncharted 2, i want Gears 3 so bring it on... I also hope Uncharted 3 looks just as good as Gears 3 because i want that too!
ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10651 Posts

:lol:

This place is just too hilarious. When the ps3 outdoes the competition in something, it passes off like "so what?", but was it the lems who touted that the ps3 GPU is old and cheap? Was it the lems who touted that the 360 have the superior GPU. by miles? Was it the lems who tried to use multiplats as a factor to defining a console's true power? The exclusives aren't denerations apart, but UC2 (mostly) and GOW3 does have a noticeable lead on visuals vs most to all of the 360 exlusives.

BTW, i see some people here derailing the thread by stating salea. :lol:

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Whoa, you got to play Gears 3 already!? Lucky!

I love these "PS3 vs. 360 graphics" threads... the arguments are just so funny. "I think PS3 has better graphics than 360, so that's the truth!" :lol:

johnnyblazed88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 johnnyblazed88
Member since 2008 • 4240 Posts

nope not in cows eyes cuz they seem to think or act like theres a big difference when theres obviously not

nothing can look anywhere near as good as a PS3 exclusive like KZ2 on Uncharted2 to a PS3 fanboy

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#32 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

This place is just too hilarious. When the ps3 outdoes the competition in something, it passes off like "so what?", but was it the lems who touted that the ps3 GPU is old and cheap? Was it the lems who touted that the 360 have the superior GPU. by miles? Was it the lems who tried to use multiplats as a factor to defining a console's true power? The exclusives aren't denerations apart, but UC2 (mostly) and GOW3 does have a noticeable lead on visuals vs most to all of the 360 exlusives.

BTW, i see some people here derailing the thread by stating sales. :lol:

ermacness

Yeah they'll do that... Its Lems afterall. A good looking game is always nice but i can happily play a jaggy game with washed-out looking colours... I buy multis on my PS3 afterall... And i own an xbox i just don't see the big deal of it. Oh and the GPU's on either console are relatively similar even though the PS3 one is touted for being ancient and old and rubbish but there really isnt much difference.

haberman13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 haberman13
Member since 2003 • 2414 Posts

BTW, i see some people here derailing the thread by stating salea. :lol:

ermacness

Yup, nothing makes me laugh harder than "sales" arguments. Could anything be a less trustworthy indicator than "sales" a.k.a. popularity.

Especially in a world where Family Guy is the "premiere" comedy; to argue sales is basically to say "I trust the dumb"

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 delta3074

[QUOTE="delta3074"][QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"]

Malta_1980

true.. but games with great visuals can also be fun and have great gameplay.. GOW3, Geow2 & Ucharted2 are fine examples..

TC:- I Also think Alan Wake looks great and 360 didnt fail in terms of visuals, it has many great looking titles, both exclusives and multiplats..

agreed, i just don't think that graphics should be the sole deciding factor as to whether a game is any good or not, i am having great fun with darkstar one at the moment, the graphics are ok but nothing special despite the fact the game is native 1080p, mor fun than i had with gears 2 or any of the other games you listed.
ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ermacness

nope not in cows eyes cuz they seem to think or act like theres a big difference whn theres obviously not

nothing can lookanywhere near asgood as a PS3 exclusive likeKZ2 on Unchartedto aPS3 fanboy

johnnyblazed88

Because lems NEVER make it out like the difference between MULTIPLATS are huge. :roll::lol:

Heck, most of the lems would put CoD: BO on their side because of it being superior to the ps3 version.

Both sides do it, it just that the cows make a little more sense than the lems.;)

goodtobeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 goodtobeback
Member since 2010 • 707 Posts

KevinButlerVP

xbox360=lacks software to take advantage of it's hardware.

halo reach just uses updated halo ce engne.

and gears of war uses the unreal engine 3 which is used on plenty of ps3 multiplats.

uncharted 2 and killzone2 those engines are only used on ps3.

and alan wake is based off old engine built for pc.

lucky_star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lucky_star
Member since 2003 • 2307 Posts

gears 3 graphics king bullshots in 3...2...1...

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 delta3074

[QUOTE="ermacness"]

BTW, i see some people here derailing the thread by stating sales. :lol:

JohnF111

Yeah they'll do that... Its Lems afterall. A good looking game is always nice but i can happily play a jaggy game with washed-out looking colours... I buy multis on my PS3 afterall... And i own an xbox i just don't see the big deal of it. Oh and the GPU's on either console are relatively similar even though the PS3 one is touted for being ancient and old and rubbish but there really isnt much difference.

dude, there is a huge difference between the xenos and the RSx, the xenos has several features that are missing from the RSX such as unified shader architecture, tesselator API, 10mb Edram which has a massive 256gb memory bandwith, 3DC texture compression and unlike the RSX it can emulate DX10 subroutines, the Ps3 has to use 3 SPE's in conjunction with the RSX to match the xenos performance, when the CELL and RSX work together the Ps3 is capable of marginally better graphics but make no mistake, the xenos was ahead of it's time when it released (the first hardware to have unified shader architecture) and it kills the RSX in overall performance, the RSX even has to offload texture culling and AA to the CELL.
Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Infinite_Access

[QUOTE="KevinButlerVP"]

goodtobeback

xbox360=lacks software to take advantage of it's hardware.

called it.

goodtobeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 goodtobeback

lucky_star

gears 3 textures u can already see kill uncharted 3.

the level design looks more complex on uncharted 3 because it has jumping/climbing unlike gears of war.

-Snooze-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -Snooze-
Member since 2009 • 7304 Posts

Who says Uncharted looks so good and why should we agree with them?

If I made a game which was linear to a fault and 80% set pieces i'd bloody well hope it looked half decent.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ermacness

[QUOTE="lucky_star"]

goodtobeback

the level design looks more complex on uncharted 3 because it has jumping/climbing unlike gears of war.

Funny, i didn't see that

goodtobeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 goodtobeback

killzone3 and uncharted 3.

those graphics engines are only used on ps3, never used for any xbox360 game.

the unreal engine 3 has been used on ps3.

halo reach that graphics engine's from last gen.

Infinite_Access

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Infinite_Access

If I made a game which was linear to a fault and 80% set pieces i'd bloody well hope it looked half decent.

-Snooze-

And it does look have decent (better) whats your point?

Isn't Gears rather linear?

goodtobeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 goodtobeback

[QUOTE="goodtobeback"]

[QUOTE="lucky_star"]

ermacness

Funny, i didn't see that

guess u dont know what parallax mapping is.

also, the godrays are dynamic on gears 3 and static on ucnharted 3.

medal of honor on ps3 uses gears 3 godrays though.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ermacness

-Snooze-

The only really "open" exclusive the 360 offers to the full extent is the Halo series, and even then, they can't even be said in the same sentence as UC2 in visuals. AW was a linear game in a vast world, and Gears was very linear as well (hince that Gears and AW looks better, and by some, much better than any of the Halo games)

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ermacness

[QUOTE="ermacness"]

[QUOTE="goodtobeback"]

goodtobeback

Funny, i didn't see that

guess u dont know what parallax mapping is.

medal of honor on ps3 uses gears 3 godrays though.

and how much do you wanna bet that UC3 will best Gears 3 in visuals?

Mrmccormo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Mrmccormo

i guess u dont know what parallax mapping is.

goodtobeback
Someone is reaching... Consider the fact that UC2's graphics are currently unmatched by 95% of console games, and certainly unmatched by any 360 game. Also consider that EPIC is well-known for bullshotting their upcoming games. It's so well-known that it's pretty much a family tradition that they bullshot their upcoming games and then sweep it under the rug when the final product looks nothing like the pictures.
goodtobeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 goodtobeback

[QUOTE="-Snooze-"]

ermacness

The only really "open" exclusive the 360 offers to the full extent is the Halo series, and even then, they can't even be said in the same sentence as UC2 in visuals. AW was a linear game in a vast world, and Gears was very linear as well (hince that Gears and AW looks better, and by some, much better than any of the Halo games)

i like linear game's better than openworld.

like the map tank on crysis 1# that map is freaking huge, but it's boring dude because your just walking and nothing's really any different on the level lol just a bunch of hills and trees.