Not sold on Halo Wars?

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Deiuos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Deiuos
Member since 2005 • 1402 Posts

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/304920.html

There may be some spoilers in this video, but it's too epic to pass by.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
The cinematics in this game are Final Fantasy quality. They looks sooo good in HD.
djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
If they gave me a free copy of Halo Wars i still wouldnt play it. Halo=Worthless games.PS3 PWNS
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
If they gave me a free copy of Halo Wars i still wouldnt play it. Halo=Worthless games.PS3 PWNSdjsifer01
you don't even try hiding the fact that your a fakeboy anymore
aflakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 aflakian
Member since 2008 • 1557 Posts
AAA title no doubt.
Ensemble's swan song + Halo universe = can't fail.
CannedWorms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#6 CannedWorms
Member since 2009 • 3381 Posts

Looks good, I only own a PS3 though.

Also, for those looking to buy the game, there's spoliers in the video.

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts
Good lord... if that was a trailer for a CG movie in theaters they would have just sold a ticket...
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts

Looks good, I only own a PS3 though.

Also, for those looking to buy the game, there's spoliers in the video.

CannedWorms
thanks for the warning, i almost watched it
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#9 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
The cinematics in this game are Final Fantasy quality. They looks sooo good in HD.BioShockOwnz
Wait, you're getting excited for Halo Wars, I thought you didn't like Halo.
Avatar image for MushroomRevenge
MushroomRevenge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MushroomRevenge
Member since 2007 • 293 Posts
I don't think that the calibur of graphics in a game should sell copies of the game; especially not the graphics of the cutscenes. I will admit the cutscenes were amazing, but the gameplay is just so horrible that nothing can make up for it.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 st1ka

I don't think that the calibur of graphics in a game should sell copies of the game; especially not the graphics of the cutscenes. I will admit the cutscenes were amazing, but the gameplay is just so horrible that nothing can make up for it.MushroomRevenge

let's be honest here, this is the meain reason why everyone is so hyped for Killzone 2

ujjval16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ujjval16
Member since 2008 • 1669 Posts

[QUOTE="MushroomRevenge"]I don't think that the calibur of graphics in a game should sell copies of the game; especially not the graphics of the cutscenes. I will admit the cutscenes were amazing, but the gameplay is just so horrible that nothing can make up for it.st1ka

let's be honest here, this is the meain reason why everyone is so hyped for Killzone 2

i was just gonna say that
MushroomRevenge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MushroomRevenge

[QUOTE="MushroomRevenge"]I don't think that the calibur of graphics in a game should sell copies of the game; especially not the graphics of the cutscenes. I will admit the cutscenes were amazing, but the gameplay is just so horrible that nothing can make up for it.st1ka

I know, but atleast Killzone 2 has actual game play to back it up. Even if its just a mediocre FPS, its playable.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"]

[QUOTE="MushroomRevenge"]I don't think that the calibur of graphics in a game should sell copies of the game; especially not the graphics of the cutscenes. I will admit the cutscenes were amazing, but the gameplay is just so horrible that nothing can make up for it.MushroomRevenge

I know, but atleast Killzone 2 has actual game play to back it up. Even if its just a mediocre FPS, its playable.

don't these two sentences negate each other?

PC360Wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PC360Wii
Member since 2007 • 4658 Posts
Sorry, I dont base my games on CGI thanks... Il just go watch a movie instead.
Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#17 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
Good lord... if that was a trailer for a CG movie in theaters they would have just sold a ticket...horrowhip
I'm not hating on you, horrowhip, but if any of the 360 fanboys get all excited over the CG then there is just so many things wrong with that even for a fanboy.
masterflame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 masterflame10
Member since 2006 • 392 Posts
[QUOTE="MushroomRevenge"][QUOTE="st1ka"]

st1ka

A mediocre FPS? So I guess you already finished the full retail copy. And metacritic disagrees with you.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"][QUOTE="MushroomRevenge"] I know, but atleast Killzone 2 has actual game play to back it up. Even if its just a mediocre FPS, its playable.masterflame10

A mediocre FPS? So I guess you already finished the full retail copy. And metacritic disagrees with you.

you're quoting the wrong guy here, i never said Killzone 2 was a mediocre game, hell i never even played the demo
MushroomRevenge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MushroomRevenge
I never said it is a mediocre game. What I was trying to say was this; if the game isn't any special it is still better then Halo Wars, which has nothing more than CGI cutscenes.
hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hopesfall2own
Member since 2008 • 2714 Posts
[QUOTE="horrowhip"]Good lord... if that was a trailer for a CG movie in theaters they would have just sold a ticket...Tiefster
I'm not hating on you, horrowhip, but if any of the 360 fanboys get all excited over the CG then there is just so many things wrong with that even for a fanboy.

how many times have cows hyped their games off of cgi trailers? At least this is going to be in the actual game and not a trailer of what will most likely change by the time its released.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 st1ka

I never said it is a mediocre game. What I was trying to say was this; if the game isn't any special it is still better then Halo Wars, which has nothing more than CGI cutscenes.MushroomRevenge

so what it is it aboutthe game you don't like?

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
[QUOTE="horrowhip"]Good lord... if that was a trailer for a CG movie in theaters they would have just sold a ticket...Tiefster

because ps3 fanboys never got hyped for a game after seeing a impressive CG trailer. :|
masterflame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 masterflame10
Member since 2006 • 392 Posts
[QUOTE="masterflame10"][QUOTE="st1ka"]

st1ka

you're quoting the wrong guy here, i never said Killzone 2 was a mediocre game, hell i never even played the demo

My bad. I was replying to the mushroom guy. :P

And you don't know what you're missing. Go download. NOW.

...if you have a PS3, that is.

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts

word choice means everything in this situation.

I said that "If it was a CG movie in theaters they would have just sold a ticket"

It says good things about the campaign, which I have predicted to be the strongpoint of the game all along, but it doesn't change the fact that the gameplay itself, and as an RTS is it little more than average(fun, but average).

8.5 is my prediction for the GS score. Although, the lower standards may end up getting it a 9.0

But if the campaign is as awesome as the CGI is, then a 9.0 could almost be justified.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

[QUOTE="MushroomRevenge"]I never said it is a mediocre game. What I was trying to say was this; if the game isn't any special it is still better then Halo Wars, which has nothing more than CGI cutscenes.st1ka

Don't you find it funny that these two games are not even out? :lol:
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"][QUOTE="masterflame10"]

masterflame10

don't own a PS3
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"]

[QUOTE="MushroomRevenge"]I never said it is a mediocre game. What I was trying to say was this; if the game isn't any special it is still better then Halo Wars, which has nothing more than CGI cutscenes.Salt_The_Fries

well.. there are demos
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Salt_The_Fries
[QUOTE="Salt_The_Fries"][QUOTE="st1ka"]

st1ka

well.. there are demos

But he acts like there would be nothing more than CG cutscenes in there, like he has seen it all :|

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"][QUOTE="Salt_The_Fries"]

Don't you find it funny that these two games are not even out? :lol:Salt_The_Fries

well.. there are demos

But he acts like there would be nothing more than CG cutscenes in there, like he has seen it all :|

that's why i'm asking what exactly is it about that game that he doesn't like
MushroomRevenge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MushroomRevenge

[QUOTE="MushroomRevenge"]I never said it is a mediocre game. What I was trying to say was this; if the game isn't any special it is still better then Halo Wars, which has nothing more than CGI cutscenes.st1ka

From playing the demo it seems there is no base building, just unit control. For a game that focuses only on the combat aspect of an RTS it has no combat depth. There aren't a vast array of skills or special moves, and selecting units is a pain.(Thats what you get for being a console RTS I suppose) Furthermore, the weapons aren't very balanced. Throwing grenades from one unit is powerful enough to destroy a building, while it takes 15 seconds of firing with three Warthog chainguns to do the same thing. I don't expect to have much unit variety unless they invent new units just for this game. Overall its just a lack of complexity.
aflakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 aflakian
Member since 2008 • 1557 Posts
[QUOTE="st1ka"]

[QUOTE="MushroomRevenge"]I never said it is a mediocre game. What I was trying to say was this; if the game isn't any special it is still better then Halo Wars, which has nothing more than CGI cutscenes.MushroomRevenge

From playing the demo it seems there is no base building, just unit control. For a game that focuses only on the combat aspect of an RTS it has no combat depth. There aren't a vast array of skills or special moves, and selecting units is a pain.(Thats what you get for being a console RTS I suppose) Furthermore, the weapons aren't very balanced. Throwing grenades from one unit is powerful enough to destroy a building, while it takes 15 seconds of firing with three Warthog chainguns to do the same thing. I don't expect to have much unit variety unless they invent new units just for this game. Overall its just a lack of complexity.

Well, it was just a demo.
It's not really fair to judge game based on that alone.
MushroomRevenge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MushroomRevenge
Of coure everything I'm saying is based on the demo alone. If they change things for the release of the game, I'd happily change my opinion.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"]

[QUOTE="MushroomRevenge"]I never said it is a mediocre game. What I was trying to say was this; if the game isn't any special it is still better then Halo Wars, which has nothing more than CGI cutscenes.MushroomRevenge

so your problem is a depth problem then?

sargentbotk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sargentbotk
Member since 2007 • 4224 Posts
I already love the gameplay in Halo Wars so far...the CG just looks phenomenal. I think this has the potential of being better than Halo 3...story wise.
istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#36 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts
[QUOTE="st1ka"][QUOTE="masterflame10"]

masterflame10

Is the demo out in certain regions or do I have to be a qore member? I tried to look for the demo on Friday, but couldn't find it.

MushroomRevenge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MushroomRevenge

st1ka
Yes, Halo Wars isn't going to be deep as far as I can tell. I know the Halo has always been a casual series, but Halo Wars will probably take the cake for most shallow game in the series.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"]

MushroomRevenge

Yes, Halo Wars isn't going to be deep as far as I can tell. I know the Halo has always been a casual series, but Halo Wars will probably take the cake for most shallow game in the series.

personally the game reminds me of ground control 2 while not the deepest RTS it was tactical enough to be fun and engaging. I don't think that we can tell this kind of thing from a demo. But i understand you point of view.

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]The cinematics in this game are Final Fantasy quality. They looks sooo good in HD.mitu123
Wait, you're getting excited for Halo Wars, I thought you didn't like Halo.

Yup, I'm not the biggest fan of Halo, but I love Halo Wars. :)

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
Halo is one of the best damn things ever, so I'm plenty sold.
MushroomRevenge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MushroomRevenge
[QUOTE="MushroomRevenge"][QUOTE="st1ka"]

st1ka

personally the game reminds me of ground control 2 while not the deepest RTS it was tactical enough to be fun and engaging. I don't think that we can tell this kind of thing from a demo. But i understand you point of view.

Yeah, I will have to wait for the game to come out first, hopefully they just didn't include some parts of the game. Which would make sense considering you played the first stages of the game.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"][QUOTE="MushroomRevenge"] Yes, Halo Wars isn't going to be deep as far as I can tell. I know the Halo has always been a casual series, but Halo Wars will probably take the cake for most shallow game in the series.MushroomRevenge

Yeah, I will have to wait for the game to come out first, hopefully they just didn't include some parts of the game. Which would make sense considering you played the first stages of the game.

I'm expecting both armies to be balanced, i'm also expecting for some more tactical variables in the game which should add to it's depht. As for complexity... well you can forget that.
hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 hopesfall2own
Member since 2008 • 2714 Posts
And how many here played the first installment of BFME? The original battle for middle earth had the EXACT SAME base building scheme, fixed number of base plots for buildings. There is just as much strategy in that as there is in spamming your buildings everywhere. Quit crying about depth :roll:
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Salt_The_Fries
And how many here played the first installment of BFME? The original battle for middle earth had the EXACT SAME base building scheme, fixed number of base plots for buildings. There is just as much strategy in that as there is in spamming your buildings everywhere. Quit crying about depth :roll:hopesfall2own
I played it and finished it on PC (Saruman and his blast FTW, Trolls were fun as well), and I believe Halo Wars is more complex than first BFME in some terms.
-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 -RocBoys9489-
Member since 2008 • 6336 Posts
And how many here played the first installment of BFME? The original battle for middle earth had the EXACT SAME base building scheme, fixed number of base plots for buildings. There is just as much strategy in that as there is in spamming your buildings everywhere. Quit crying about depth :roll:hopesfall2own
That's one thing that bothered me in BFME II. The people would build dozens of towers and MILES of walls. And those **** arrows. Still a fun game. I like Halo Wars approach of being more combat focused. (like WiC?)
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
The cinematics in this game are Final Fantasy quality. They looks sooo good in HD.BioShockOwnz
I was shocked when playing the campaign in the Demo at how amazing the CGI was. No other 360 game comes even close to this when viewed on an HDTV.
Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts
Halo, that name alone means mediocrity. Definitely not sold on this, i think of a few games that are much more worthy of my 60$.
-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 -RocBoys9489-
Member since 2008 • 6336 Posts
Halo, that name alone means mediocrity. Definitely not sold on this, i think of a few games that are much more worthy of my 60$.Adrian_Cloud
Great graphics, gameplay, epic music, campaign with a good story, online co-op, up to 3 v 3 online. How could you not be sold?
Deiuos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Deiuos
Member since 2005 • 1402 Posts
Halo, that name alone means mediocrity. Definitely not sold on this, i think of a few games that are much more worthy of my 60$.Adrian_Cloud
That assumption is pretty ignorant, especially since it's not made by the same developer, nor is it the same genre.
Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Salt_The_Fries
Lol, put it up in some kind of a synonyms dictionary or something then :lol: