daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

In 1998, if you wanted to watch Netflix, you had to rent a DVD then wait for the company to physically mail it to you. The service probably didn’t have exactly what you wanted, and you had to wait days to receive it. Still, it was ever-so-slightly more convenient than driving to the local “movie store” (we seriously called them that.) A few years later, the billion-dollar monolith Blockbuster was chasing Netflix’s crumbs.

Anyone who remembers this seismic shift understands how important Xbox’s Game Pass service might be. The all-you-can-eat game buffet has many of the same qualities that helped Netflix on its meteoric rise. It represents a seismic change in the industry, it’s a great value, and it still feels incredibly futuristic. And in the still-technically-beta Project xCloud, now officially called Xbox Cloud Gaming, Microsoft’s subscription service also already has the streaming feature it took Netflix years to develop – and it’s included for free with a Game Pass Ultimate subscription.

But unlike Netflix, Xbox Cloud Gaming is entering a category already packed with heavyweight contenders. How does it stand up to services like GeForce Now, Rainway, Stadia, Shadow, PlayStation Now, and Amazon Luna?

Xbox Cloud Gaming – Catalog and Interface

Xbox Cloud Gaming is currently available via a dedicated app on Android devices, as well as Windows 10 PCs and Apple devices via Microsoft Edge, Chrome, or Safari. While it started as a relatively limited service with minimal platform support, it’s quickly extended to a decent variety of platforms. Still, services like Stadia still have it beat with their support for TVs via Chromecast, while Rainway is available on practically everything. That said, Microsoft has plans for the service to come to TVs (sans Xbox) via a forthcoming streaming stick, as well as direct integration within smart TVs.

Xbox Cloud Gaming’s native mobile support is limited to Android due to business disputes between Apple and Microsoft, but we tested the service extensively on Apple devices thanks to browser support. While it still feels pretty rough – with audio and controller latency issues abound – it’s also amazing to see Master Chief on your iPhone. And while it’s not advertised on their website, using Edge, Chrome, and even Safari on Mac also worked, at least during our testing. This is pretty stunning functionality to leave off their marketing, and I can easily see this being one of the best use-cases there is for GamePass.

I’ve seen Xbox Cloud Gaming’s design – which lives inside the Xbox Game Pass app – a thousand times, in everything from Apple’s App Store to Amazon’s homepage. It’s a simple, well-designed page – there’s a rotating carousel of featured content at the top and lockers below. Those lockers designate recently played, recently added, popular games, and touchscreen-optimized games. It’s nothing fancy, and that’s a good thing. Within seconds, I could find what I was looking for and start a game.

The offerings themselves change often, but so far, there’s plenty to choose from. Near its original release, I counted 182 games. Now, there are 267 available to stream on Cloud Gaming, out of a total 385 available on Game Pass as a whole. There are some big-name games available like Doom Eternal, The Master Chief Collection, Halo 5, and Gears 5, and this list is growing impressively fast. Games like MLB The Show 21, Control, and Outriders have been added in the months since launch. Still, much of the catalog is composed of older hits and indies, many of which are relatively unknown. Xbox has promised a slew of first-party blockbusters all coming to Game Pass on the same day as their console release, but it’s not totally clear if all of these games will also be playable via Cloud Gaming. In other words, Game Pass (already) suffers from segmentation.

That’s because the Game Pass catalog is split between PC, Console, and Cloud. Currently, PC-exclusive games are not available to stream (though it’s something Microsoft is working on), and up until recently the Console catalog was identical to the Cloud catalog. Months ago, I surmised that the libraries would eventually deviate, and it would end with the Cloud catalog having the worst selection of the three. Sadly, I was right on the money. Already games like FIFA 21, Dragon Quest Builders 2, and even Xbox-exclusive The Medium are absent from the cloud catalog. Still, the cloud offerings are nothing to scoff at, with a well-rounded list of games ranging from racing to horror.

Tapping a game in your recently played locker instantly launches it, while tapping a new game displays the product page, complete with screenshots, ESRB rating, and the ability to install it to your console or PC. On Android, once you’re inside the game, settings and options are sleekly hidden away. Tapping the screen brings a small overlay in the top left-hand corner of the screen, with a microscopic ellipses and an Xbox button. The Xbox button brings up the familiar Guide menu, allowing you to see Friends, start a party, accept invitations, or view your achievements. Tapping the ellipses brings up a Cloud Gaming-specific menu, allowing you to mute or unmute your microphone, supply feedback to Xbox, or quit the game. (Swiping twice from the top or bottom of the screen also allows you to leave the game as well.)

However, on Windows 10 browsers and Apple devices, the Xbox and ellipses icons are always on-screen. Any modern iOS or iPadOS device makes the experience even worse by also including the swipe bar on-screen at all times.

On mobile, Xbox Cloud Gaming deals with voice chat in a pretty smart way, letting you chat with friends using the microphone already on your phone. Unfortunately, without headphones, your friends and teammates will hear everything you hear, including their own voices. I found no way to turn off game audio while keeping my party chat on, which means the only practical way to play multiplayer games was with a headset.

There’s a slew of games optimized for touchscreens. Many of these games are already on phones, but they’re far from “phone games.” There are games like Dead Cells, Slay the Spire, Streets of Rage 4, Hellblade, Minecraft Dungeons, and Tell Me Why. These games utilize on-screen touchpads that you can move, configure, and customize to whatever size phone you have. Doing so is a touch unintuitive, and the first time I loaded it up, several of the buttons were so far off the screen I had no idea they existed. But once I figured it out, I was able to play a few games without many problems besides the obvious ones: no tactile feedback, my fingers covering half the screen, and the general slipperiness of touchscreen gaming. Even so, it’s a viable way to log on for daily rewards or whatnot.

Xbox Cloud Gaming – Performance & Latency

Every streaming service review deserves a boilerplate disclaimer: When using Cloud Gaming (and every other game-streaming service), your internet connection is the single, mercilessly exacting determinant for how your experience will play out.

Suppose you’re in the middle of rural America with a poor internet connection. In that case, there’s really nothing you can do to achieve even a subpar cloud gaming experience, shy of buying a satellite and pointing it into your living room. But as 5G rolls out across the country, the required speeds will become available to more and more Americans.

Xbox Cloud Gaming requires at least 10Mbps download speeds and recommends a 5GHz WiFi connection. At 940mbps down, my San Francisco internet connection was nearly 100 times faster than necessary. That kind of bandwidth isn’t typical though, even for San Francisco, so I also tried it using a slower (but still adequate) WiFi connection, as well as a connection much further from the router.

The good news is connections were all pretty stable. Once a game started, I never dropped it. But checking a text message, or upping the brightness, or anything that required me to leave the game often booted me to the loading screen.

And unfortunately, loading takes a very long time – though it has improved greatly as the service has matured. For instance, several months ago, I measured that Halo 5 took 37 seconds to load. Today, it took just under 17 seconds.

Graphical fidelity and game size doesn’t seem to factor, with smaller (possibly less in-demand) games sometimes taking longer to load. Celeste took 20 seconds to load, while Slay the Spire took 25 seconds to load. Which is, again, a marked improvement from where it started. Celeste had taken 47 seconds when Cloud Gaming launched on Android phones, and Slay the Spire had clocked in at a whopping 52 seconds.

Still, after years of scrolling and tapping apps at fever-pace, these are long waits to stare at your phone. And on some occasions, the loading screen just never resolved. I waited more than four minutes for Guacamelee 2 to open and more than six minutes to boot up Ori and the Blind Forest. Neither opened.

Quitting the game and restarting it wasn’t the silver bullet I’d hoped for, either. After quitting Ori, the next time I opened the game, it hung up on the loading screen again, then crashed to my home screen the following two times. Nothing about the service deterred me from it more than these will-they-won’t-they loading screens.

Once actually in-game, my experience playing was mixed. Over the last few months, I’ve played nearly every game I was interested in, including Forza, Halo 5, Ori and the Blind Forest (once I eventually got it working), the Master Chief Collection, and Absolver, among many, many more. On mobile, the controls always seemed to register relatively snappily. I’m used to a certain level of barely perceptible latency while streaming, but in some cases, even when the visuals started artifacting like a thirty-year-old jpeg, the game still seemed to recognize my inputs. At one point, with nothing but blocky smudges on-screen, I was able to aim a Spartan Laser in the right direction and secure a double kill.

Xbox knows this, and it’s licensed several phone-controller hybrids, including the Razer Kishi and Backbone One. I tested the Kishi and a Moga phone-clip that connects directly to your Xbox controller. With my 1,000 Mbps down connection, both of these control schemes were close to flawless, with no discernible latency when close to the router or hotspot. With a little distance, however, I could feel that almost negligible muddiness that comes with streaming games. Now and again, a small line would traverse down the screen, moving pixels ever so slightly to catch-up with the action.

I also had a slew of problems connecting next-gen controllers to Apple devices. With the 14.5 iOS update, Xbox Series controllers can now pair through bluetooth – but in practice, connecting to iOS devices can still be a little troublesome. These connection issues will surely be ironed out as Xbox Cloud gaming on iOS moves out of limited beta and Apple releases its own updates. But right now when paired with those awfully long load screens, I found setup to be most painful on iOS.

While browser support is still in limited beta, it’s also worth pointing out that on Mac and Windows 10, I ran into a slew of problems. Audio and gameplay cut out was frequent, and at one point my computer stopped registering inputs from the controller. In many ways, your phone is the worst place to play these games due to the small screen and constant barrage of notifications that require your attention, so I’m eager to continue testing cloud gaming on browsers – especially as stability improvements continue to rollout. It’s also worth noting that a controller is required for playing via browser. Mouse and keyboard are not supported – even in the case of games that have a PC version – as it’s the console version that’s being streamed.

Xbox Cloud Gaming – Bandwidth Usage

All game streaming services will eat through tons of data, but Xbox Cloud Gaming used a lot less data than we’ve come to expect. Unlike Stadia, which burned through 6.2GBs in 30 minutes of gameplay, we saw a much more reasonable 1.3GBs of data on Xbox’s service in that same time.

That’s because, unlike Stadia’s 4K target, until recently Xbox Cloud Gaming only aimed for a 720p resolution – but now has 1080p resolutions, with up to 60fps. That could be a bit of a disappointment for resolution aficionados, but your data cap will thank you.

Verdict

Like the Netflix of 1998, Xbox Cloud Gaming has immense promise. But unlike the pre-Millenium Netflix, Xbox Cloud Gaming has actual competition. Run-of-the-mill technical hurdles dampen some of Xbox Cloud Gaming’s gleam, but I can’t help but think how miraculous it is that people no longer require a PC or Xbox to stream such an immense and shining catalog of games.If you buy something through this post, IGN may get a share of the sale. For more, learn more.

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-cloud-gaming-xcloud-review

I think in a few more years, xcloud could be pretty awesome, if Nintendo Switch doesn't continue to dominate the handheld market :)

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

Methinks you put waaaaay too much stock in IGN, pal.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5267 Posts

Can you just quote the relevant parts of the article? Posting an entire article without the permission of IGN is a copyright violation and a violation of the rules.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

What the hell? How is driving 5 minutes to pickup a new movie from blockbuster worse than sitting around for a week to get mailed your next movie? Thats the worst idea I ever heard of.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

Can you just quote the relevant parts of the article?

NO, stop being lazy and read the wall of text.

SargentD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SargentD
Member since 2020 • 8282 Posts

sounds like they think it shows alot of promise, the fact they are comparing it to netflix in its early phases is a pretty good compliment

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Streaming will always be terrible compared to native gaming. Only broke lemmings who can't afford a high end PC or an XSX are hyping cloud gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-654dc0d1e0e5b
Member since 2021 • 1870 Posts

Their biggest gripe is quality and performance is dictated by your internet speed.

It's still in beta, and internet speeds will only improve along with the service.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

They may be right, but that doesn’t matter. We can’t just start using IGN. Not with their track record. Wait for Digital Foundry.

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@onesiphorus said:

Can you just quote the relevant parts of the article? Posting an entire article without the permission of IGN is a copyright violation and a violation of the rules.

and the wall of text is a PITA

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44282 Posts

Eh, sounds ok but it’s obvious that streaming has a ways to go yet. I definitely prefer gaming natively myself but I’ll probably do some xCloud gaming here and there as well.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#13 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69734 Posts

I have 1GB up and down so it performance great. The loading times to start the game is still too long.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39176 Posts

Not enough clouds 7/10

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17443 Posts

I tested it not long ago and their points make sense. I'd rate it a 7-8 for what it is.

That said, MS had repeatedly said that it is an option and they prefer local gaming. Phil just said it again in the Unlocked podcast.

Very different from Stadias approach.

I think it's a great option for those in areas where games are expensive or people who travel.

Also, MS talked about bringing next gen only games to Xbox One via streaming so that's pretty cool

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44604 Posts

I am mostly waiting for streaming from consoles. For when I want to play something but don't want to wait to download.

I also hope they develop a way for a party system from a virtual machine that will mimic local play, so people can play MP games that don't have online MP and offer only local co-op. It might also help for some of those games that have split screen local and the online MP servers were taken down, like many Xbox 360 era games.

This other one can go for Sony as well. Seriously, devs make game demos for those game trade shows that the public can play, they should host those on the Game Pass and PS Now servers during events like E3 or PAX or whatever, give people a chance to try the vertical slice demos from home.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44604 Posts

Also, I think streaming games (games designed to be streamed) will be different than playing local games, maybe be like turned based strategy games or RPGs/JRPGs or story games, games with simplified controls, not require precision timing and fast reflexes.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5975 Posts

Browser support limited beta

Apple not supported

Yet most of the review was on these bits

It's part of gamepass so why not review the whole thing?

I tried it early on and experience the issues of playing streaming games and one day it might be good for all that offer it when they sort Internet out. But for now it's a nice add on that might be ok for some games. Not good on its own.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2252 Posts

No thanks!

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

I don't subscribe to game pass for xCloud, I subscribe for the games. xCloud is just a added bonus that I'll probably not use very often.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

Streaming 🤣🤭

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

TC: It's not looking good for Xcloud IGN gave it 7/10

IGN scoring system: 7 = Good

Swear to god some people here are truly "special". 🤣

gtx021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gtx021
Member since 2013 • 515 Posts

pc gaming is dead (especially to high end $$$$ pc setting)..

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@girlusocrazy: Sounds like ass.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gym_Lion

@girlusocrazy said:

The TLDR is:

Loading games takes 25+ sec, some games crash when loading, game selection is not great, it burns through 1.3GB in 20 minutes, works like crap on a desktop browser, the iOS experience is far from ideal, when you switch away to another app it can bring you back to loading the game again when you switch back, max 1080p/60, and it's streaming so there's still lag.

So they didn't say 1 positive thing in the review then? All negative?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

@ghost_of_phobos said:

TC: It's not looking good for Xcloud IGN gave it 7/10

IGN scoring system: 7 = Good

Swear to god some people here are truly "special". 🤣

Indeed, not looking good for, Ghost of Sashimi. lol :P

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Gym_Lion

@girlusocrazy said:

@gym_lion: Not really, the review is like a !ist of issues

Makes you wonder why the gave it a good review then. 7/10 = good, right?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pedro  Online

@girlusocrazy said:

@gym_lion: Not really, the review is like a !ist of issues

You are trying real hard man. 😂

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

Another abysmal failure for Xbox.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gym_Lion

@wonderwinner said:

When did a 7/10 become a abysmal failure?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Pedro  Online

@gym_lion: The lad is fishing. 😂

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7213 Posts

Sony is getting left in the wind. No answer for GamePass and no answer for Xcloud. Sony’s lack of innovation will be the death of them.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

@gym_lion said:
@wonderwinner said:

When did a 7/10 become a abysmal failure?

Ghost Of Tsushima Review

GOOD

The Good

• A stunning open-world environment with navigational mechanics that help to further absorb you into it
  • Stylish combat successfully mimics the iconic samurai sword fights of cinema to great effect
  • Keen cinematography heightens many moments
  • Swift stealth mechanics and Ghost Tools make it fun to toy with enemies

The Bad

• Rote open-world quest structures often feel dull
  • Cutscenes lack a degree of life that betrays the game's cinematic strengths
  • Unfortunate camera positioning and environmental objects can regularly ruin you in combat
  • Japanese-language performances don't line up with character mouth movements, creating a jarring disconnect
  • You can't cut down bamboo trees, which is just an utter travesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-611edca0d6021

Lemmings scrapping the bottom of the barrel. LMFAO.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Bro I could cut bamboo tree's back on the ps1 with bushido blade GoT must be a 7/10

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9407 Posts

Never tried it, personally.

I think it's a good idea and I hope they keep working on it.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@wonderwinner said:

So business as usual.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tdkmillsy

need a break from work so thought I'd give this another go.

Quick feedback

16mb down 2mb up 19ms speed

In edge browser on my laptop

Slow paced games quite playable

Faced paced games not so much

No series X games yet.

Might try it with sea of thieves with daughter on my xbox one X

Not bad for an add on to GamePass but I wouldnt buy it on its own.

UnnDunn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 UnnDunn
Member since 2002 • 3979 Posts

@zerothehero said:

What the hell? How is driving 5 minutes to pickup a new movie from blockbuster worse than sitting around for a week to get mailed your next movie? Thats the worst idea I ever heard of.

Back in their heyday, Netflix had warehouses near practically every major city, along with direct access to USPS distribution centers, allowing for 2-day or even next-day mailing of DVDs. Total turnaround time from mailing a DVD to getting the next one was about four business days (including Saturday). And they always had enough stock of new releases, which could not be said about Blockbuster.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-611edca0d6021

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@wonderwinner said:

So business as usual.

Yeah, this won't be different than Stadia. The internet infrastructure isn't there yet. And I suspect this will be overshadowed when Sony releases their premium PS Now service which will se growth just as Disney+. If Failsoft aims to be the netflix of gaming, Sony'll aim to be the Disney+ of gaming. Premium service with premium catalog.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1404 Posts

It represents a seismic change in the industry, it’s a great value, and it still feels incredibly futuristic.

Right. As futuristic as putting neon racing stripes on a 2004 Honda Civic.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Streaming will always be terrible compared to native gaming. Only broke lemmings who can't afford a high end PC or an XSX are hyping cloud gaming.

Pretty much

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#45 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Streaming = bad visual quality, latency and whatever else. If you cannot afford to game, find another hobby.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

Well if IGN says so...

I mean they admit its a service still in development that's offered as an extra on Gamepass, but then they compare it to other services and complain. :-S

Okay, but that's a waste of time.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 tdkmillsy

@wonderwinner: so which is

Sony will have some secret sauce to over come the Internet issues you point out is the issue for other streaming services.

Or

It will take that long for Sony to bring their premium disney+ equivilant out by then the Internet will have progressed enough for the issues to be sorted.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

@wonderwinner: any proof of this sony premium gamepass?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By deactivated-611edca0d6021

@tdkmillsy said:

@wonderwinner: so which is

Sony will have some secret sauce to over come the Internet issues you point out is the issue for other streaming services.

Or

It will take that long for Sony to bring their premium disney+ equivilant out by then the Internet will have progressed enough for the issues to be sorted.

It's the second option, duh, Disney only shifted to streaming when it felt it was the time. Sony will follow and will overshadow MS's offering within a few months.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tdkmillsy

@wonderwinner: A clouded chrystal ball you got there with zero proof of Sony doing anything of the sort now or in the future. In fact the only thing we are seeing is Sony increasing costs to make more money while MS is making gaming accessable to more gamers. Keep waiting cos it will be many years before streaming is good enough for all games. Its simply an add on to what is already a fantastic service for MS.