Nioh is a triumphant return for Koei Tecmo, their most successfull game in the west

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

Nioh’s success was never set in stone. The title’s chaotic development started back in 2004, but it only hit shelves this February. An even bigger surprise was director Fumihiko Yasuda’s assertion that the concept of the game had “remained the same throughout development.”

Well, it appears that players of today do, indeed, want to play the same games as players back in 2004 (with better graphics, naturally), because Nioh has just surpassed 1m units worldwide - a feat it’s managed to achieve in little more than a month.

“It utilised all the resources of our company. We received unequivocal support from our western publisher, Sony Interactive Entertainment, and Nioh is performing very well so far so we are very happy with it.”

Watanabe also tells us that Nioh is Koei Tecmo’s “most successful title in the west.”

“This position essentially validates our strategy to expand our brand and user-base in the long term and proves that our titles can reach the highest spots in the charts. With overall positive player feedback and media reception we are very pleased by this result and hope to repeat it in the near future.”

“Being so open, [as well as] incorporating feedback from the fans certainly helped increase interest in the game and shape players’ expectations.”

"Furthermore, and perhaps more importantly, Nioh is a title reflects a lot of creativity and a lot of soul, and is a reflection of what made Team Ninja a successful studio in the first place. It’s a triumphant return to the studio’s strengths and media and players reacted very positively.”

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nioh-a-triumphant-return-for-koei-tecmo-as-it-eyes-the-western-market/0180503

The UK chartz tho ?

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Quicksilver128
Member since 2003 • 7075 Posts

I love the game hopefully they will start working on a Ninja Gaiden.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

Hope they make another Nioh game down the road.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

I just want DOA6. I'm getting tired of same old 5 and it's monthly costume set milking.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#5 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts

Its nice to know that the game has been successful for Koei Tecmo. Nioh has a lot of content.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

Thank you Sony for taking care of gaming. M$ would have cancelled the game and leave the devs on psychiatric institutions with their shitty management from their clueless corporate suits.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fac80ec445f7
deactivated-5fac80ec445f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5fac80ec445f7
Member since 2017 • 155 Posts

@dakur said:

Thank you Sony for taking care of gaming. M$ would have cancelled the game and leave the devs on psychiatric institutions with their shitty management from their clueless corporate suits.

I like this guy.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9406 Posts

Nioh is a ray of brutal hope in a casual sea of mediocrity.

Maybe the success will lead to a PC port or at least a multi-platform sequel so more people can enjoy it - plus it wouldn't be limited by the PS4 potato power.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I truly and deeply hope that this game gives rise to a franchise. Ni-Oh is by far and away one of the highlights of the generation so far. I needed this game in my life and I am damn glad it was a success!

I'd go so far as to say that it is an essential game for PS4 owners, as long as they can git gud.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#10  Edited By BassMan  Online
Member since 2002 • 17816 Posts

I am yet to play the full game, but it is a noteworthy game in my backlog. Glad that it is selling well.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#11 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69600 Posts

Multi platform for the win. Lets hope Platinum doesn't botch things again like they did with Scalebound.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Told yall over half a year ago.

BIack_Goku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BIack_Goku
Member since 2016 • 724 Posts

@Pedro said:

Multi platform for the win. Lets hope Platinum doesn't botch things again like they did with Scalebound.

Wrong game?

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

didn't really like it that much but i hope its success convinces developers that there is a market for this style of game.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

Still have yet to get it. maybe grab it at some point down the line

OldProf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#17  Edited By OldProf
Member since 2003 • 1513 Posts

Metacritic:

Ninja Gaiden (2004): 91%

Ninja Gaiden II (2008): 81%

Ninja Gaiden 3 (2012): 58%

So yeah I wouldn't get to excited if I was you guys. Team Ninja has a fame of ruining franchises. They ruined my favorite series (Dead or Alive) with their micro transactions and Ninja Gaiden 3 was shit.

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21701 Posts

Nice to see that it's doing well. I'm about halfway through, and so far I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

@OldProf said:

So yeah I wouldn't get to excited if I was you guys. Team Ninja has a fame of ruining franchises. They ruined my favorite series (Dead or Alive) with their micro transactions and Ninja Gaiden 3 was shit.

I wouldn't agree that they ruined DOA. Game is just fine without spending $900 on costumes.

mazuiface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mazuiface
Member since 2016 • 1604 Posts

Good to know. That it is paying off for them. When I played through this game the first time, I got the sense that they were working with a relatively limited amount of resources, but they still made the game excellent. It is nice to play a mix of challenge and RPG elements - though you still have to watch out for people who make themselves overpowered and drain all of the fun out of the game.

@Renegade_Fury said:

Nice to see that it's doing well. I'm about halfway through, and so far I've been enjoying it quite a bit.

It gets even better in Way of the Strong.

@silversix_ said:

Told yall over half a year ago.

It turned out to be like Demon's Souls all over again. Sleeper hit

OldProf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 OldProf
@Eikichi-Onizuka said:
@OldProf said:

I wouldn't agree that they ruined DOA. Game is just fine without spending $900 on costumes.

And paid stages, and paid characters. DOA Xtreme 3 only included half the rooster so they can later release them as paid DLC. I say that pretty much ruins a game.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52437 Posts

@OldProf said:

DOA Xtreme 3 only included half the rooster so they can later release them as paid DLC. I say that pretty much ruins a game.

DOA: X3 doesn't have DLC, except for bikini sets that they rotate.

OldProf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By OldProf

@freedomfreak said:
@OldProf said:

DOA Xtreme 3 only included half the rooster so they can later release them as paid DLC. I say that pretty much ruins a game.

DOA: X3 doesn't have DLC, except for bikini sets that they rotate.

Dude you can't say it doesn't have DLC, and then say it actually does have paid bikini sets DLC lol. And they have yet to release the rest of the cast as paid DLC, you know it's bound to happen...

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 freedomfreak
@OldProf said:

Dude you can't say it doesn't have DLC, and then say it actually does have paid bikini sets DLC lol. And they have yet to release the rest of the cast as paid DLC, you know it's bound to happen...

Well, considering you said this:

"DOA Xtreme 3 only included half the rooster so they can later release them as paid DLC"

Which is blatantly false, the DLC it does have, is free.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

It's a damn good game, I still need to finish it up when I have the time. I think I was around 70 hrs last I played, can't remember.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of it, there's tons of room to improve with a sequel. But I just want them back on Ninja Gaiden now that they've proven their chops and now that they understand dumbing something down doesn't get you success.

A good ARPG can be fun and all, but sometimes it's like... get to the fuckin already. No stat cushion, no looting gear, no menu surfing, just give me something 100% skill based and pure. Nioh has the best combat system I can think of for a ARPG, it's great, but at a certain point you might as well just deliver a straight up action game without the fluff.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

@glez13: If the costume packs price was reasonable (around $10 or at least had a regional price), I would had bought a ton of them already. But no, I haven't bought anything yet.

OldProf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By OldProf
@freedomfreak said:
@OldProf said:

Well, considering you said this:

"DOA Xtreme 3 only included half the rooster so they can later release them as paid DLC"

Which is blatantly false, the DLC it does have, is free.

1. One of the MANY packs that they have released as paid DLC: http://gematsu.com/2017/02/dead-alive-xtreme-3-senran-kagura-collaboration-costume-dlc-second-set-now-available

2. 9 out of 15 girls made it to the game, the other 6 are yet to be released. Some of these excluded girls (Tina and Lei-Fang) have been in every DOA game since the beginning, Thus the incomplete experience, and for later to be turned into paid DLC. So what exactly is "blatantly false"?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 freedomfreak

@OldProf said:

1. One of the MANY packs that they have released as paid DLC: http://gematsu.com/2017/02/dead-alive-xtreme-3-senran-kagura-collaboration-costume-dlc-second-set-now-available

2. 9 out of 15 girls made it to the game, the other 6 are yet to be released. Some of these excluded girls (Tina and Lei-Fang) have been in every DOA game since the beginning, Thus the incomplete experience, and for later to be turned into paid DLC. So what exactly is "blatantly false"?

Oh right. Japan. Other territories don't get these packs.

And those girls coming as DLC hasn't been confirmed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#29 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@n64dd said:

Hope they make another Nioh game down the road.

Nioh: Wei

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#30  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@Pedro said:

???????

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@glez13: I've never seen such a cluster **** on the PS store until I tried to find Mia (?) to purchase, there are THOUSANDS of items for this game and you could probably spend a few thousand on it!!!

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Glad it's doing well, haven't played it though.

I hope this leads to a new Ninja Gaiden ... that doesn't suck.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

@OldProf said:
@Eikichi-Onizuka said:
@OldProf said:

And paid stages, and paid characters. DOA Xtreme 3 only included half the rooster so they can later release them as paid DLC. I say that pretty much ruins a game.

DOA Extreme 3 is garbage anyway, but yeah the limited character selection there I will agree with. I even agree that I'm a not a fan of how TK treats DLC with DOA5. But Last Round is a fun game that I have no regret purchasing, having to pay a little more for the two extra characters or miss out on them(don't have Mai) hasn't ruined the game for me. Unless DOA6 has a severely reduced roster like DOAX3 does I would still buy it(prob not day one though).

Maybe I'm more forgiving though, I don't think one bad game and spinoff necessarily ruin a franchise either. Ninja Gaiden can still bounce back imo.