Nintendo's Genyo Takeda is retiring in June

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41558 Posts

Source: My Nintendo News

Credited for leading the Wii's hardware development, also developed the N64's analog stick, and in addition, produced and directed Punch-Out!, Pilotwings 64, and Dr. Mario 64, Genyo Takeda will be retiring this June. Replacing him will be Ko Shiota.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52442 Posts

Cool name.

He better spends his retired ass fishing with a wiimote accessory rod.

mojito1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 mojito1988
Member since 2006 • 4726 Posts

Good. I wish him a good retirement and love to see new blood. Keeps things fresh.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5267 Posts

I wish that I can work for a company for so many years as Mr. Takeda. Too bad with changing economic times, most Japanese will not be working in the same job for decades.

Avatar image for 666BumbleBee666
666BumbleBee666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 666BumbleBee666
Member since 2012 • 140 Posts

Good riddance, hope the door does not hit him on the way out. "Credited for leading the Wii's hardware development, also developed the N64's analog stick"

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14498 Posts

Yay, get the man a cake and airmail me a slice

NorseFetus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NorseFetus
Member since 2013 • 56 Posts

Microsoft should buy him. He would make great exclusive for them. Obviously a talented man.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@666BumbleBee666 said:

Good riddance, hope the door does not hit him on the way out. "Credited for leading the Wii's hardware development, also developed the N64's analog stick"

So he....helped lead nintendo to 100 million consoles sold...and basically brought analog sticks to consoles...and...good riddance? This is why gamers are a cancer in their own hobby.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

And Star Tropics.

Dude had a good run.

Makoto_Niijima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 Makoto_Niijima
Member since 2017 • 56 Posts

@666BumbleBee666 said:

please stop stealing oxygen from people who really need it

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3738 Posts

Nintendo needs every one of the people who ran it for the last 30 years to just leave. It's way too out of touch with what people want.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Source: My Nintendo News

Credited for leading the Wii's hardware development, also developed the N64's analog stick, and in addition, produced and directed Punch-Out!, Pilotwings 64, and Dr. Mario 64, Genyo Takeda will be retiring this June. Replacing him will be Ko Shiota.

Good Riddance. Besides Punch Out I was never really impressed with his work. He was no Gunpei Yokoi. Hopefully Miyamoto follows suite.

Nintendo needs fresh blood pronto. Get all these old hacks out of there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

@emgesp said:

Good Riddance. Besides Punch Out I was never really impressed with his work. He was no Gunpei Yokoi. Hopefully Miyamoto follows suite.

Nintendo needs fresh blood pronto. Get all these old hacks out of there.

@makoto_niijima said:
@666BumbleBee666 said:

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By emgesp

@charizard1605: Cute, doesn't change the fact that he was the lead developer of Nintendo's worst home console ever and while the analog stick was great when it first came out the design was flawed. Now you have a ton of N64 controllers with loose or straight up broken sticks. Thanks a lot Takeda. Sony's design was clearly superior given you rarely see PS1 analog controllers with broken sticks. Might have the rubber missing but they usually still work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

@emgesp said:

@charizard1605: Cute, doesn't change the fact that he was the lead developer of Nintendo's worst home console ever and while the analog stick was great when it first came out the design was flawed. Now you have a ton of N64 controllers with loose or straight up broken sticks. Thanks a lot Takeda.

Shit breaks after over 20 years of use?

Jesus, someone alert the media.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@emgesp said:

@charizard1605: Cute, doesn't change the fact that he was the lead developer of Nintendo's worst home console ever and while the analog stick was great when it first came out the design was flawed. Now you have a ton of N64 controllers with loose or straight up broken sticks. Thanks a lot Takeda. Sony's design was clearly superior given you rarely see PS1 analog controllers with broken sticks. Might have the rubber missing but they usually still work.

Your complaint is that analog sticks broke after 20 years of use? NO FUCKING SHIT

My DualShock 4 sticks are already loose and peeling off, and that shit is not even four years old, is Mark Cerny a hack?

Jesus Christ, you need a sense of perspective.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By emgesp

@darkspineslayer said:
@emgesp said:

@charizard1605: Cute, doesn't change the fact that he was the lead developer of Nintendo's worst home console ever and while the analog stick was great when it first came out the design was flawed. Now you have a ton of N64 controllers with loose or straight up broken sticks. Thanks a lot Takeda.

N64 controllers were breaking within the first couple of years after extended use. No need to make excuses for an obviously flawed design.

We have the PS1 analog controller to directly compare it with and you can readily find perfectly working controllers at a good price.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@emgesp said:
@darkspineslayer said:
@emgesp said:

N64 controllers were breaking within the first couple of years after extended use.

So are my DualShock 4s.

Mark Cerny is a hack, confirmed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@emgesp said:

We have the PS1 analog controller to directly compare it with and you can readily find perfectly working controllers at a good price.

I can readily find N64 controllers in perfect condition at a good price, too.

Without getting into the whole 'it's easy to build off of shit someone else did and address flaws' nonsense, of course. This might be the most transparent you have ever been.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 emgesp

@charizard1605 said:
@emgesp said:

Your complaint is that analog sticks broke after 20 years of use? NO FUCKING SHIT

My DualShock 4 sticks are already loose and peeling off, and that shit is not even four years old, is Mark Cerny a hack?

Yeah, but its a known serious issue specifically with the N64's analog stick. They go bad a lot faster than any other sticks because of said poor design. Dreamcast and Saturn 3D control sticks still work just fine.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 emgesp

@charizard1605 said:
@emgesp said:
@darkspineslayer said:
@emgesp said:

N64 controllers were breaking within the first couple of years after extended use.

So are my DualShock 4s.

I'm talking on a large scale, not some few exceptions. Of course any controller can go bad, but N64 controllers in particular are notorious to have sticks that go bad very quickly.

The main problem is they didn't lube up the plastic parts so the friction caused wear. Thankfully I found some decent second hand N64 controllers and lubricated all the internal plastic pieces, so should be good for awhile.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@emgesp said:
@charizard1605 said:
@emgesp said:

Yeah, but its a known serious issue specifically with the N64's analog stick. They go bad a lot faster than any other sticks because of said poor design. Dreamcast and Saturn 3D control sticks still work just fine.

Because they were the first. They were literally making shit up as they went along. It's a lot easier to not make mistakes once you've seen someone else make them.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

As a huge Nintendo fan, I just want to say **** Nintendo. Past, present, and future.

Shit posters aside, hope dude enjoys his retirement.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@emgesp said:
@charizard1605 said:
@emgesp said:
@darkspineslayer said:
@emgesp said:

So are my DualShock 4s.

I'm talking on a large scale, not some few exceptions. Of course any controller can go bad, but N64 controllers in particular are notorious to have sticks that go bad very quickly.

DualShock 4 analog stick issues are well known and widespread, too.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By emgesp

@charizard1605 said:
@emgesp said:

I can readily find N64 controllers in perfect condition at a good price, too.

Without getting into the whole 'it's easy to build off of shit someone else did and address flaws' nonsense, of course. This might be the most transparent you have ever been.

They didn't build off the design that Nintendo used. They used readily available joystick potentiometers for their analog sticks that are similar to the ones you see in R/C controllers which were used years before the N64 was even a thought. The N64 analog design is a totally one off design that nobody else really copied.

@charizard1605 said:

Because they were the first. They were literally making shit up as they went along. It's a lot easier to not make mistakes once you've seen someone else make them.

No they weren't. Analog sticks existed before the N64. Vectrex has a true self-centering analog stick.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@emgesp said:
@charizard1605 said:

No they weren't. Analog sticks existed before the N64. Vectrex has a true self-centering analog stick.

And as we all know, it is Vectrex's analog stick that set the standard and is widely aped in the industry today.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By emgesp

@charizard1605 said:
@emgesp said:
@charizard1605 said:

And as we all know, it is Vectrex's analog stick that set the standard and is widely aped in the industry today.

The analog stick tech found in the Vectrex and R/C controllers is the basis for what was in the PS1's Analog stick. Sony didn't take Nintendo's design and improved on it, they found a design that was already superior on the market elsewhere. Even Nintendo realized the Analog stick design in the PS1 was superior and used the same tech in the GC controllers.

Also, just found out that the Joystick in the N64 wasn't actually analog, but digital. Though it still functioned like an analog stick.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

He had a good run. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

*Looks at the other comments*

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#30 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41558 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

And Star Tropics.

Dude had a good run.

Reminds me. Still haven't beaten that yet.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Good work..time to relax, chill & play golf. :P

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Thank you for your service old man.

“If [Nintendo] had followed existing roadmaps we would have aimed to make [the Wii] faster and flashier. We’d have tried to improve the speed at which it displays stunning graphics. But we could not help but ask, ‘How big an impact would that really have on our customers?’ In development, we came to realize the sheer inefficiency of this path when we compared the hardships and costs of development against the new experiences customers might have.”

God damn livin Legend.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By emgesp

@iandizion713 said:

Thank you for your service old man.

“If [Nintendo] had followed existing roadmaps we would have aimed to make [the Wii] faster and flashier. We’d have tried to improve the speed at which it displays stunning graphics. But we could not help but ask, ‘How big an impact would that really have on our customers?’ In development, we came to realize the sheer inefficiency of this path when we compared the hardships and costs of development against the new experiences customers might have.”

God damn livin Legend.

This post is such obvious bait for people like me lmao.

You don't actually believe what you say.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

@emgesp: Sorry mate, unlike you and other graphical gimmick chasers, i focus on gameplay. I play games, i dont let the games play me. Thats why i love and follow Nintendo, theyre innovators and go against the grain. Switch Gang till i die. Haters get a, bottle to the head, bottle to the head!

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18254 Posts

Anyone who participated in Punch-Out! deserves mad respect.

Avatar image for 666BumbleBee666
666BumbleBee666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By 666BumbleBee666
Member since 2012 • 140 Posts

@makoto_niijima said:
@666BumbleBee666 said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:
@666BumbleBee666 said:

So he....helped lead nintendo to 100 million consoles sold...and basically brought analog sticks to consoles...and...good riddance? This is why gamers are a cancer in their own hobby.

He did not sell hardware, software did. He created overpriced gimmicky hardware that was inferior to first generation Xbox hardware. Analog sticks were on consoles before the N64. Weren't the sticks on the N64 not even technically analog sticks?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#37 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19581 Posts
@emgesp said:

Analog sticks existed before the N64. Vectrex has a true self-centering analog stick.

That's an analog joystick. What the N64 did is an analog thumbstick. Two different things. Conflating it with the analog joystick misses the entire point of the analog thumbstick.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

@emgesp: Didn't Gunpei Yokoi invent the Virtual Boy?

I don't know. As far as worst consoles Nintendo have produced, virtual boy is way worse than the N64. :P

Genyo Takeda produced some great titles - especially the Punch-Out! series.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jag85

@emgesp said:

The analog stick tech found in the Vectrex and R/C controllers is the basis for what was in the PS1's Analog stick. Sony didn't take Nintendo's design and improved on it, they found a design that was already superior on the market elsewhere. Even Nintendo realized the Analog stick design in the PS1 was superior and used the same tech in the GC controllers.

Also, just found out that the Joystick in the N64 wasn't actually analog, but digital. Though it still functioned like an analog stick.

Sony was directly aping the N64 analog thumbstick, not whatever irrelevant analog joystick you might be thinking of.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@jumpaction: Gunpei Yokoi gets a pass on the Virtual Boy because he helped create the best game in the world, Super Metroid. He also made that Gameboy thing that people seem to like but I'm not really a fan.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

@charizard1605: they did not invent the thumbstick. Someone else did in 89. Look up the xe1-ap. They were still in virgin territory so its a little unfair to complain.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@mark1974: What was his involvement with Super Metroid?

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mark1974

@jumpaction: he is the creator of Metroid and he also had a hand in Super Metroid.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By emgesp

@Jag85 said:
@emgesp said:

Analog sticks existed before the N64. Vectrex has a true self-centering analog stick.

That's an analog joystick. What the N64 did is an analog thumbstick. Two different things. Conflating it with the analog joystick misses the entire point of the analog thumbstick.

It still wasn't the first controller with an "Analog Thumbstick".

I present you Exhibit A: The XE-1 AP controller for the Sega Genesis released in 1989. Yes, that is a true self-centering Analog Thumbstick.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@mark1974: Well, co-creator. Yoshio Sakamoto also had a hand in the inception of Metroid. :P

But Yokoi's involvement on Super Metroid must be pretty small. He isn't listed as producer, director or designer of the game. Actually Sakamoto is. He probably plays a bigger role in the series than Yokoi does.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By mark1974

@jumpaction: Yeah, I'm just going by what is normally said of him concerning Metroid's creation and that Super Metroid was the last one he had a hand in. I have no idea of course who actually did what.

They say he created the D pad. That's pretty big.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By emgesp

@jumpaction said:

@emgesp: Didn't Gunpei Yokoi invent the Virtual Boy?

I don't know. As far as worst consoles Nintendo have produced, virtual boy is way worse than the N64. :P

Genyo Takeda produced some great titles - especially the Punch-Out! series.

That wasn't part of Nintendo's main dedicated home console line of products. It was some weird spin-off device.

Don't even know the point of it existing, but regardless he gets a pass for all the other great things he's done. Everyone is entitled to at least one major blunder.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jag85

@emgesp said:
@Jag85 said:
@emgesp said:

It still wasn't the first controller with an "Analog Thumbstick".

I present you Exhibit A: The XE-1 AP controller for the Sega Genesis released in 1989. Yes, that is a true self-centering Analog Thumbstick.

The XE1-AP is a good example (one that I've brought up a number of times before).

The Vectrex, however, is a bad example, since that's a joystick, not a thumbstick.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

@mark1974:I don't think it was that much, honestly. :/

Not to discredit him! I love his work but I think Metroid was more Sakamoto's baby.

@emgesp: Yokoi believed it would be a truly innovative device that competitors would find hard to replicate. Like you said, everyone is entitled to a few mistakes but then you are also discrediting an awful lot of Takeda's work over your feelings towards the N64 (which still led to some true classics like Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Super Mario 64 and Starfox 64).

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By emgesp

@jumpaction said:

@mark1974:I don't think it was that much, honestly. :/

Not to discredit him! I love his work but I think Metroid was more Sakamoto's baby.

@emgesp: Yokoi believed it would be a truly innovative device that competitors would find hard to replicate. Like you said, everyone is entitled to a few mistakes but then you are also discrediting an awful lot of Takeda's work over your feelings towards the N64 (which still led to some true classics like Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Super Mario 64 and Starfox 64).

No I love the N64, but Jesus they really cheaped out when it came to the N64's Analog stick design. It is so cheaply built and put together. They should have at least applied some lubrication, but nope Nintendo is cheap as usual.