Nintendo's 16 minutes of ego talk

This topic is locked from further discussion.

d_black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 d_black
Member since 2004 • 1538 Posts

For those of you who have watched Nintendo's E3 '07, have you noticed that the first 16 minutes of it has nothing to do with games? They spend this time boosting their own ego. I'm a fan of the Wii (hey, I bought one) but I hate to see Nintendo go back to the N64 attitude.

Microsoft's was typical, neither egotistical or othrwise and Sonys was prettyhumble (and quite impressive).

Thoughts?

hiho24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 hiho24
Member since 2005 • 4052 Posts
Nintendo was the only company at e3 who actually acted like a company. Since when was being humble and passive good in a competitive market?
gromit007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 gromit007
Member since 2006 • 3024 Posts
The focus of E3 was on business this year. The glitz of past E3s are gone. It may have been boring, but at least they got the idea of the 'new' E3 correct.
Unstoppable_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Unstoppable_1
Member since 2003 • 2005 Posts

I think Nintendo deserves to brag because frankly it is kicking butt and taking names. Also they showed all the great games which are coming. Plus some new innovations like Wii fit which I found very cool. They are not like N64 because now they are opening up more doors to developers.

However I do understand where you are coming from. That is why it's good to have Microsoft and Sony competing vs them to keep them from growing too strong. Plus it's not like the Wii is for everybody.

I use to own one and I sold it. I was very bored with it.

GatoFeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 GatoFeo
Member since 2004 • 1846 Posts

I think Nintendo deserves to brag because frankly it is kicking butt and taking names. Also they showed all the great games which are coming. Plus some new innovations like Wii fit which I found very cool. They are not like N64 because now they are opening up more doors to developers.

However I do understand where you are coming from. That is why it's good to have Microsoft and Sony competing vs them to keep them from growing too strong. Plus it's not like the Wii is for everybody.

I use to own one and I sold it. I was very bored with it.

Unstoppable_1

Well, I hope they keep doing that, cause in the near future it won't have that good games.

lohithbms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 lohithbms
Member since 2005 • 5081 Posts

Nintendo was the only company at e3 who actually acted like a company. Since when was being humble and passive good in a competitive market?hiho24

It works fine for PR!!!

d_black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 d_black

Nintendo was the only company at e3 who actually acted like a company. Since when was being humble and passive good in a competitive market?hiho24

Sony's huge ego hurt them and they know it. This time it was them who thanked the crowd as opposed to acting like they did the crowd a favor. I agree a business should be confident but there is a limit, take 5minutes out and show off your sales but please don't feed me crap videos of people hugging nintendo Wii's - its laughable.

The Wii is neat and I don'tthink its a fad but the lack of games is clear because there was too much talk about sales, age groups playing, gender rules & general random videos of ego boosting.

I was pleased to see Nintendo taking online seriously, its a step forward for the company.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
They talked very little about themselves. What they talked about was the size and the variation of the industry in general.
hiho24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 hiho24
Member since 2005 • 4052 Posts

[QUOTE="hiho24"]Nintendo was the only company at e3 who actually acted like a company. Since when was being humble and passive good in a competitive market?d_black

Sony's huge ego hurt them and they know it. This time it was them who thanked the crowd as opposed to acting like they did the crowd a favor. I agree a business should be confident but there is a limit, take 5minutes out and show off your sales but please don't feed me crap videos of people hugging nintendo Wii's - its laughable.

The Wii is neat and I don't like its a fad but the lack of games is clear because there was too much talk about sales, age groups playing, gender rules & general random videos of ego boosting.

I was pleased to see Nintendo taking online seriously, its a step forward for the company.

You have to notice the difference in ego and confidence. Nintendo has found a new market and the videos they showed were only backing their confidence. Not only did people but it, but the DS and Wii have become a phenomenon. The worst thing Nintendo could have done was brought a "humble" show for the press. One that played it safe and respected the hardcore. Talk about mixed signals, they dont wanna hear that, they wanna see things like Sales numbers and the popularity, they want to see things like Wii Fit that will continue to drive the popularity. They're basically saying "Hey we're popular, successful and will continue to do so with games like Wii Fit." It shows an amount of confidence that the media can go out with the same attitude.

umcommon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 umcommon
Member since 2007 • 2503 Posts

Agreed, no company is "humble" anyways, all they want to do is print $$$$$$.

d_black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 d_black
[QUOTE="d_black"]

[QUOTE="hiho24"]Nintendo was the only company at e3 who actually acted like a company. Since when was being humble and passive good in a competitive market?hiho24

The Wii is neat and I don't like its a fad but the lack of games is clear because there was too much talk about sales, age groups playing, gender rules & general random videos of ego boosting.

You have to notice the difference in ego and confidence. Nintendo has found a new market and the videos they showed were only backing their confidence. Not only did people but it, but the DS and Wii have become a phenomenon. The worst thing Nintendo could have done was brought a "humble" show for the press. One that played it safe and respected the hardcore. Talk about mixed signals, they dont wanna hear that, they wanna see things like Sales numbers and the popularity, they want to see things like Wii Fit that will continue to drive the popularity. They're basically saying "Hey we're popular, successful and will continue to do so with games like Wii Fit." It shows an amount of confidence that the media can go out with the same attitude.

I do understand your point but I think we will have to agree to disagree. Nintendo to me are trying to phase out the hardcore market and instead just have a collective market where you and I are buying the same games that grand parents and kids are buying.

I want games that are deep and complex and take weeks to master. This "collective market" that Nintndo is creating is working and it shows through the sales. Well, that and competitive pricing. Things like Wii Fit are just terrible. We have gyms and we can use them if we choose. Yes, that costs more but its money better spent.

cobrax80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#12 cobrax80
Member since 2003 • 4658 Posts

Sorry, but Nintendo deserves doing it this E3, the Wii has been bashed to death and now that they proved everybody wrong they have a right to say "In your face!". As long as they don't do it again next year.

VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts

Hear hear.

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dualshockin
Member since 2006 • 7826 Posts
I agree with the TC,Nintendo seem to forget this is the videogame industry,if they think another Mario will help them win the war then they're in for a rude awakening. Will Wii Fit even get a review?
TacoJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 TacoJelly
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

I didn't see it that way. Sony up until this year was very egotistical, all Nintendo was doing was exactly what a press conference should be, they showed their buiseness philosophy and why it's been working gangbusters for them. They were playing to third parties, independent game developers, analysts, investors, etc.

People have to remember that us insignificant gamers are the last people on their mind when they put these press conferences together.

TacoJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TacoJelly
Member since 2005 • 1723 Posts

Sorry, but Nintendo deserves doing it this E3, the Wii has been bashed to death and now that they proved everybody wrong they have a right to say "In your face!". As long as they don't do it again next year.

cobrax80

The Nintendo fan in me has always wanted (though i know it'll never happen) for Iwata to just come out on stage and say "hey Sony **** you!" They do deserve their moment in the sun, especially with Sony pulling crap in the past like "Next-gen doesn't start until we say so" and "sony is going to take handheld out of the gaming ghetto."

karicha9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 karicha9
Member since 2003 • 6927 Posts

E3 is an industry and press event.

Many of you seem to think otherwise.

d_black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 d_black

I didn't see it that way. Sony up until this year was very egotistical, all Nintendo was doing was exactly what a press conference should be, they showed their buiseness philosophy and why it's been working gangbusters for them. They were playing to third parties, independent game developers, analysts, investors, etc.

People have to remember that us insignificant gamers are the last people on their mind when they put these press conferences together.

TacoJelly

I've highlighted your point that I feel kinda puts it all into perspective.

Dualshockin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dualshockin
Member since 2006 • 7826 Posts

karicha9
It's an industry and press event,you are correct. But if you think sales charts and Youtube videos of people playing the Wii will win it for Nintendo,you are mistaken.
gromit007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gromit007
[QUOTE="karicha9"]

Dualshockin

It's an industry and press event,you are correct. But if you think sales charts and Youtube videos of people playing the Wii will win it for Nintendo,you are mistaken.

While you have been waiting for KZ2, Nintendo has been winning. As you wait another year or so for KZ2, Nintendo will keep on winning. Welcome to thereturn of theold world order.

darkmario123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darkmario123
Member since 2006 • 1156 Posts

I agree with the TC,Nintendo seem to forget this is the videogame industry,if they think another Mario will help them win the war then they're in for a rude awakening. Will Wii Fit even get a review?Dualshockin

Like it or not, Nintendo had already won the war. Wii Fit will only guarantee their victory.

funnymario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 funnymario
Member since 2005 • 9122 Posts
[QUOTE="Dualshockin"][QUOTE="karicha9"]

gromit007

While you have been waiting for KZ2, Nintendo has been winning. As you wait another year or so for KZ2, Nintendo will keep on winning. Welcome to thereturn of theold world order.

You act as though you're important enough to Nintendo to be part of this "world order" :lol:

Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts

You mean being unable to create their own videos and taking youtube videos to fill up their lack of work is being a company? lol

Blessing77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Blessing77
Member since 2005 • 753 Posts
nintendo focused on the casuals i myself was disappointed especially when i compared nintendos conference to sony's and m$'s. but i will not give up on nintendo until the end of tokyogs and liezipig or however you spell it. Sony had its rough parts too aka e3 o6 but in the end they impressed me. maybe nintendo will do the same later. i can only hope.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts

[QUOTE="hiho24"]Nintendo was the only company at e3 who actually acted like a company. Since when was being humble and passive good in a competitive market?NobuoMusicMaker

You mean being unable to create their own videos and taking youtube videos to fill up their lack of work is being a company? lol

Yeah, actually. They showed that they were above self promotion. They showed that they were so popular, that other people would do it for them.

Zeke129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 Zeke129
Member since 2003 • 11176 Posts

Like it or not, Nintendo had already won the war. Wii Fit will only guarantee their victory.

darkmario123

Nintendo - bringing Asprin regimen and gaming together since 2007!

gromit007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gromit007
[QUOTE="gromit007"][QUOTE="Dualshockin"][QUOTE="karicha9"]

funnymario

While you have been waiting for KZ2, Nintendo has been winning. As you wait another year or so for KZ2, Nintendo will keep on winning. Welcome to the return of the old world order.

You act as though you're important enough to Nintendo to be part of this "world order" :lol:

Individual consumers are never important to large companies, honestly. Demographics are. At least Nintendo finds their consumer base important enough to NOT charge them $600 for a chance to play their games.