Nintendo to Metroid Fans: "Trust us"

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

in continuation on the rage over the new Metroid game over the 3DS

Nintendo has noticed the great negative response over the game.

The reaction has been negative. There's no sugar coating it

The statement came from Nintendo America's boss, Reggie. He continued to mention people were able to play the game had positive response.

Source

What do you think? Do you trust Nintendo ? Will the 3DS game deserve the name Metroid on it?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56434 Posts

I think they took it a bit too far with wanting to do something "new" for the Metroid franchise. No one is going to care about a generic federation trooper. Everyone wants Samus and you can do so many new gameplay mechanics with her abilities. I recall some big wig at bethesda remarking that had fallout shelters been announced before fallout 4, then there would have been pitchforks at their gates. This whole Metroid 3DS fiasco seems to have proven him right.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#3 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

I didn't like what I saw, so no.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

I have no issue with the game itself. I have issue with the Metroid name being put on it. But I can kinda see why they did do it. It does have some sort of prime feel to it. If you watched the treehouse event you'll see fed force gameplay. Its not that bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

In Tanabe we trust!

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

I'm not the biggest Metroid fan, loved Super and the Prime games but no real attachment to the series like I do for Mario and Zelda. But I have sympathy. I don't see why they should trust.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@locopatho: How about cause they have an awesome track record? Tanabe is gold mate, that man is a hit maker. His main task was to train Retro Studios, and train Retro he did.

YOU HAD ONE JOB!

And you nailed that beast!

My boy Tanabe.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I'd bet the game ends up being pretty good. The 3DS just doesn't seem like a platform I'd want to play a coop shooter on.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

So no one liked Metroid ODST?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#10 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41579 Posts

Yeah, that ship has passed for the MFFP, Reg.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60722 Posts

haahhahaa, no, **** off Reggie

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

@k--m--k said:

in continuation on the rage over the new Metroid game over the 3DS

Nintendo has noticed the great negative response over the game.

The reaction has been negative. There's no sugar coating it

The statement came from Nintendo America's boss, Reggie. He continued to mention people were able to play the game had positive response.

Source

What do you think? Do you trust Nintendo ? Will the 3DS game deserve the name Metroid on it?

No, Nintendo has an issue with listening to their own internal developers and not listening outside to their fans or even 3rd party developers. I don't trust Nintendo until they finally make a proper Metroid game whether be 2D or 3D and until they take out Aonuma and his obsession with puzzles in Zelda games

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Nah.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator

@Ant_17 said:

So no one liked Metroid ODST?

I for one like ODST at the time cause ODST show us what a open-world Halo could one day look like.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

May as well remove Link from Zelda too and make it about the Goron's while you're at it huh Reggie? Trust me, it'll be great

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DaVillain  Moderator

@locopatho said:

I'm not the biggest Metroid fan, loved Super and the Prime games but no real attachment to the series like I do for Mario and Zelda. But I have sympathy. I don't see why they should trust.

You gotta remember though, Legend of Zelda has been getting a steady release of mainline games to keep fans satisfied, the awesome Link Between Worlds just released in '13 to critical acclaim and the remastered Majora's Mask just a few months ago. Whereas the last "real" Metroid was Other M back in 2010 and wasn't received that well by a lot of fans.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

@davillain- said:
@locopatho said:

You gotta remember though, Legend of Zelda has been getting a steady release of mainline games to keep fans satisfied, the awesome Link Between Worlds just released in '13 to critical acclaim and the remastered Majora's Mask just a few months ago. Whereas the last "real" Metroid was Other M back in 2010 and wasn't received that well by a lot of fans.

Speaking as a non-metroid fan I have zero problems seeing this franchise reinvented. Seriously all the back tracking can go f-itself.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

The fact that they think releasing a spin-off (that looks generic as hell) with no actual metroid game insight is awful. Not to mention if this flops Nintendo will probably pull the whole "Well I guess people don't like Metroid" card and shelve the franchise for a long ass time. FFS, you have some of the best developers that work for you and with you, and you can't make an actual Metroid title. This E3 was just full of spin-offs. At this rate its looking pretty likely they are holding everything for the NX.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#19  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Nope. I love Nintendo, but don't trust them on anything, especially after that shittastic E3 show.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

I'm all for spin-offs, but they have their time and place. A series that hasn't had a proper 2-D entry in over a DECADE! (see zero mission), is not a series that is in need of a spin-off.

Besides this game looking like utter crap, it just wasn't necessary. Why does a franchise that's lacking in actual MAIN games need a freaking spin-off after all this waiting???

3DS would have been the perfect console for a new 2-D metroid and we get this hunk of garbage instead. I was so happy with Nintendo's handling of the 3DS until this.....

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44693 Posts

If they bundle the game with Circle Pad Pros for $40 I might trust them a tad bit more.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7035 Posts

Trust Nintendo? You mean like when they told us the Wii U would have proper third party support? Funny.

If Reggie says the response to the game was much better after playing a demo on the floor, why didn't Nintendo just put together a quality trailer that would better help people understand the game?

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

I don't trust any company, so I can't here.

I just love how pissed off people are about a game they haven't played. Its been blown to the heavens for no other reason than " Its not what i expected"

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

get. the. f. out.

Edo-Tensei_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Edo-Tensei_
Member since 2015 • 173 Posts

Show me something I can trust. They presented that 3ds metroid like garbage even if it ends up being a good game.

dante1972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dante1972
Member since 2004 • 934 Posts

Nope.... Nintendo blew it BIG TIME.

They can take their NX console and shove it too.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

This is another typical "Nintendo knows all little kiddies, now take what we provide and shut up" speech from them. People dont want that game, but instead of listening, they say "oh you wait, when you play it you will love it", how about all the people that wont play it because of the hate, typical Nintendo catering to the wrong crowd.

I laughed when he said the franchise is becoming stale and it needed a shake up, it's a bounty hunter in space, with alien worlds!!! Use your imagination!!! It's fiction, there should be no limits to what can be created.WOW just WOW, Nintendo officially run out of ideas for the most open backdrop in history.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

Gonna be difficult for them to do a proper Metroid game with the Metroid Prime folks working on Recore.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

I like the concept of blast ball. Kind of wish Nintendo would of just let Next-Level expand on that idea. Maybe put it on Wii-U, might of been pretty cool.

Everything else about this game just looks really bland. Not really surprising after what an average job Next-Level did with the ghosts in Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4586 Posts

I don't think I can trust you on this one Nintendo. I feel like they are trying to live off the Metroid name alone on this one.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@davillain- said:
@locopatho said:

Speaking as a non-metroid fan I have zero problems seeing this franchise reinvented. Seriously all the back tracking can go f-itself.

Wow what a fucked post. Disturbing coming from a Nintendo fan. If there's one series that shouldn't reinvent itself, it's Metroid. At least the way they are doing it with this garbage. Had Metorid been another systematic linear game about shooting aliens it wouldn't have any appeal basically. And when back tracking means unlocking new areas, it's not really back tracking in the tedious sense of most games. This game on 3DS is just a generic co-op shooter with the Metroid name slapped on.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

I have been given very little reason to trust them. Retro's last Metroid outing was a massive step down from the first two games. Metroid Fusion took what was brilliant about Super Metroid, neutered it and made it linear, to add in some bullshit lolvideogamestory, and Other M could have been a great actiony take on Metroid, except someone decided to make the control scheme stupid and again lolvideogamestory.

If the franchise peaked at Super Metroid/Metroid Prime1/2 then I'm fine with moving on. But I don't have any reason to believe in a Nintendo sequel, because when Nintendo runs out of logical ways to improve something you get soulless entries like the new super mario bros stuff, derivative entries like what you get with Mario Kart, or the straight up fishing they do to make 3d zelda actually good, but consistently fail with.

A good company would notice their short comings with Metroid and take it as an opportunity to let those studios (Sakamot's team or Retro Studios) do something new, albeit potentially inspired by Metroid. But Nintendo is allergic to that shit. For instance why isn't Federation Force its own ip? Nothing about blast ball or 4 player mission mode, or even federation troopers is among the first things you would think of when talking Metroid. yet they put Metroid Prime on top of it? smh

If they do end up back at Metroid, I want something progressive. I don't want to fight Ridley again, to the Ridley theme again. I don't want the same group of unlocks I've found multiple times already. Make a new Metroid, build on what was there with Super or what was there with Prime 2, do not go backwards or just "lets see if we can remake Super Metroid". I don't want more of the same.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@bobrossperm said:
@Bread_or_Decide said:
@davillain- said:
@locopatho said:

Wow what a fucked post. Disturbing coming from a Nintendo fan. If there's one series that shouldn't reinvent itself, it's Metroid. At least the way they are doing it with this garbage. Had Metorid been another systematic linear game about shooting aliens it wouldn't have any appeal basically. And when back tracking means unlocking new areas, it's not really back tracking in the tedious sense of most games. This game on 3DS is just a generic co-op shooter with the Metroid name slapped on.

Look the sad truth is that the last great Metroid was 2007 with Prime 3, and since then the best "Metroid games" have NOT been ACTUAL Metroid games. Beginning in 2009 with Shadow Complex (2d XBLA game by Epic) and Batman Arkham Asylum (3D full action adventure game by Rocksteady), the Metroid formula of "explore, gain upgrades, revisit old areas with better abilites" has been done newer AND better by both AAA blockbusters and random indie games.

The Ninty fanboys (as usual) cry and refuse to admit this, hence pretending a random action spinoff is better. There will not be a PROPER Metroid title again, I think, one that can stand with Super and the Prime trilogy. These random spinoffs are the best they'll get, so they'll pretend that the series being gutted is a good thing.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

I want Prime 4, or some equivalent, on a home console.

None of this nonsense.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18266 Posts

I'm sure it will be a fun game, it was kind of cool on the Nintendo World Championship...but is not what i was expecting for the franchise, so i'll have pass on this one.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FireEmblem_Man

@jg4xchamp said:

I have been given very little reason to trust them. Retro's last Metroid outing was a massive step down from the first two games. Metroid Fusion took what was brilliant about Super Metroid, neutered it and made it linear, to add in some bullshit lolvideogamestory, and Other M could have been a great actiony take on Metroid, except someone decided to make the control scheme stupid and again lolvideogamestory.

If the franchise peaked at Super Metroid/Metroid Prime1/2 then I'm fine with moving on. But I don't have any reason to believe in a Nintendo sequel, because when Nintendo runs out of logical ways to improve something you get soulless entries like the new super mario bros stuff, derivative entries like what you get with Mario Kart, or the straight up fishing they do to make 3d zelda actually good, but consistently fail with.

A good company would notice their short comings with Metroid and take it as an opportunity to let those studios (Sakamot's team or Retro Studios) do something new, albeit potentially inspired by Metroid. But Nintendo is allergic to that shit. For instance why isn't Federation Force its own ip? Nothing about blast ball or 4 player mission mode, or even federation troopers is among the first things you would think of when talking Metroid. yet they put Metroid Prime on top of it? smh

If they do end up back at Metroid, I want something progressive. I don't want to fight Ridley again, to the Ridley theme again. I don't want the same group of unlocks I've found multiple times already. Make a new Metroid, build on what was there with Super or what was there with Prime 2, do not go backwards or just "lets see if we can remake Super Metroid". I don't want more of the same.

This is why @jg4xchamp renamed himself as the Beacon_of_Truth at EndlessBacklog.com

I want a new Prime game that has Samus be more of a Bounty Hunter, traveling the galaxy other than taking contracts from the Federation. That was Retro's idea until Sakamoto shot it down because it didn't fit his own personal feelings of Samus being a Hero, which is confusing as to why is she a bounty hunter?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#37  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

@locopatho said:
@bobrossperm said:

Look the sad truth is that the last great Metroid was 2007 with Prime 3, and since then the best "Metroid games" have NOT been ACTUAL Metroid games. Beginning in 2009 with Shadow Complex (2d XBLA game by Epic) and Batman Arkham Asylum (3D full action adventure game by Rocksteady), the Metroid formula of "explore, gain upgrades, revisit old areas with better abilites" has been done newer AND better by both AAA blockbusters and random indie games.

The Ninty fanboys (as usual) cry and refuse to admit this, hence pretending a random action spinoff is better. There will not be a PROPER Metroid title again, I think, one that can stand with Super and the Prime trilogy. These random spinoffs are the best they'll get, so they'll pretend that the series being gutted is a good thing.

Done better in relation to most recent Metroid outings like Other M, it has not been done better than Metroid though.

Super Metroid and the 2 prime games straight ass rape Shadow Complex or that filler fest Asylum.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

My N3DS is ready Metroid Prime Federation Force, i shall help Samus as myself, will be sweet.

In Tanabe we trust.

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

Please, trust us, understand?

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#40  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

This thread offended me. Can I report?

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Eh I trust them when it comes to the "play it and you will understand" argument at least. The problem is is that this is not the main argument, and its also not being talked about and is instead getting sidestepped by Reggie. Then again I noticed a ton of people skipping ahead to the main argument of having "Metroid ODST instead of real game, dragging name through the mud" as well without caring about what he said, so yeah...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Will do. It's a spinoff, not a main entry... and not on a console, but a handheld.

I didn't like Hunters but that didn't hamper my enjoyment of Prime, Echoes and Corruption.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#43 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

lol, in other words.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nini200

@Solaryellow said:

Trust Nintendo? You mean like when they told us the Wii U would have proper third party support? Funny.

If Reggie says the response to the game was much better after playing a demo on the floor, why didn't Nintendo just put together a quality trailer that would better help people understand the game?

I don't know what it's going to take for people to see that Reggie is a huge pathological liar. He's NOT a gamer in the least bit. He's only there to serve as COO of NoA, that's all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@nini200: I dont know why people dont understand he cant force third party to be dedicated to Nintendo fans.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 nini200

@mesome713 said:

@nini200: I dont know why people dont understand he cant force third party to be dedicated to Nintendo fans.

He shouldn't make guarantees that he can't concrete.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#47 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@nini200 said:

[...] Reggie is [...] NOT a gamer in the least bit.

Phil Spencer and Andrew House are?

All corporate-level employees of all three of the big console manufacturers aren't gamers. They are corporate business folk who probably spend a good portion of their day WORKING to make gaming on their respective platforms possible and PROFITABLE for the business.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@nini200 said:
@mesome713 said:

He didnt lie, Wii U still gets third party support. We just got Lego Jurassic Park and getting the new Skylanders game. Plus more to come. Just Dance, Devils Third, Fatal Frame 5.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 FireEmblem_Man

@mesome713 said:
@nini200 said:
@mesome713 said:

He didnt lie, Wii U still gets third party support. We just got Lego Jurassic Park and getting the new Skylanders game. Plus more to come. Just Dance, Devils Third, Fatal Frame 5.

All meh and uninteresting.... Does it get the new Deus Ex?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@FireEmblem_Man: NX might ;)

I love Deus Ex on Wii U though, its best one available.