Nintendo Switch's 33-Month Sales Record In The US Just Fell, As PS5 Takes Top Spot In September

• 90 results
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

Oh my, this should be good SW material.

Let the fighting begin.

Lol :P

The Story.

----

Nintendo Switch's 33-Month Sales Record In The US Just Fell, As PS5 Takes Top Spot In September

For the first time since November 2018, Nintendo Switch was not the top-selling console in the US based on unit sales.

The NPD Group has released its report for September US video game sales, and the Nintendo Switch has finally be dethroned. After 33 months being the top-seller based on unit sales, the PlayStation 5 finally outsold the Switch in September 2021. This was the first time since November 2018 that the Switch was not the top-seller in the US based on unit sales.

The PS5 was the top-performer in September 2021 based on units sold and dollar sales in the US, and the PS5 is the best-selling system of 2021 so far on dollar sales. The Switch, however, is 2021's biggest console based on unit sales.

In total, spending on gaming hardware in September 2021 jumped by 49% to $412 million. For the year so far, people have spent $3.4 billion on hardware, which is also up 49%.

Total spending on gaming in the US for September 2021--covering hardware, games, and accessories--reached $4.4 billion, which is up 3% and sets a new record for September. Year-to-date, spending hit $42.3 billion, which is up 12%.

In terms of game sales, Madden NFL 22 held on to its No. 1 position from August and remained the top-seller in September. It is also now the second-best selling game of 2021 so far. Also of note, Tales of Arise set a new record for launch-month sales, while Life is Strange: True Colors drove the "highest launch-month dollar sales for any Life is Strange game to date."

On mobile, total spending passed $2 billion, and the average monthly spend is up about 28% compared to the first nine months of 2020. "September's strong performance for the overall U.S. mobile games market was buoyed by the second highest earning title, MiHoYo's Genshin Impact, which marked its one-year launch anniversary with spending up nearly 120% month over month," NPD said.

"Top-performing mobile titles in the U.S. by consumer spending in September included Candy Crush Saga, Genshin Impact, Roblox, Coin Master, Garena Free Fire, Pokemon Go, Homescapes, Clash of Clans, Bingo Blitz, and Candy Crush Soda Saga," the group added.

As for accessories, total spending dropped 12% to $171 million, with year-to-date spending hitting $1.8 billion, which is up 9%. Microsoft's Xbox Elite Series 2 controller was the top-selling accessory in September, repeating as No. 1 from August. The PS5's white DualSense controller, however, remains the top-selling accessory of 2021 so far.

September 2021 Best Selling Games All Platforms (US)

1. Madden NFL 22
  2. FIFA 22
  3. NBA 2K22*
  4. Tales of Arise
  5. Diablo II: Resurrected
  6. Deathloop
  7. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  8. Ghost of Tsushima
  9. Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  10. Life is Strange: True Colors
  11. Mario Kart 8*
  12. Diablo Prime Evil Collection
  13. Sonic Colors: Ultimate
  14. Minecraft
  15. WarioWare: Get It Together!*
  16. Assassin's Creed Valhalla
  17. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  18. Animal Crossing: New Horizons*
  19. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
  20. Mortal Kombat 11

All Platforms Year-To-Date

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  2. Madden NFL 22
  3. MLB: The Show 21^
  4. Resident Evil Village
  5. Super Mario 3D World*
  6. Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  7. Mario Kart 8*
  8. Minecraft
  9. Monster Hunter: Rise
  10. Assassin's Creed Valhalla

^ Xbox digital sales not included

*Digital sales not included

September 2021 Nintendo Games

1. Mario Kart 8*
  2. WarioWare: Get It Together*
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  4. Diablo II: Resurrected
  5. Animal Crossing: New Horizons*
  6. Pokemon Sword/Shield*
  7. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword*
  8. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  9. Super Mario 3D World*
  10. Sonic Colors Ultimate

September 2021 PlayStation Games

1. Madden NFL 22
  2. FIFA 22
  3. NBA 2K22*
  4. Deathloop
  5. Tales of Arise
  6. Ghost of Tsushima
  7. Spider-Man: Miles Morales
  8. Diablo II: Resurrected
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

September 2021 Xbox Games

1. Madden NFL 22
  2. FIFA 22
  3. NBA 2K22*
  4. Diablo II: Resurrected
  5. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  6. Tales of Arise
  7. Diablo Prime Evil Collection
  8. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (2019)
  9. Assassin's Creed Valhalla
hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 39185 Posts

The PS5 would be smashing the Switch for almost a whole year straight if people could actually get their hands on one. Japan would be the only country in the world where the Switch would be dominating, cuz you know, casual gamers in there.

Nobody wants an underpowered system from half a decade ago. They're only buying it because they can't get their hands on the real deal. Or need a tablet for their kid in the kindergarten.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44295 Posts

I only have one word for that.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44143 Posts

@hardwenzen:

Can't find a reasonable counter-point to your post.

Well I only add that it's really not a level playing field when one is a mobile gaming device and the others are Home Consoles. That too makes for a apple to oranges comparison as well. :P

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18254 Posts

I'm actually far more concernced because this are the top selling games in all platforms:

1. Madden NFL 22
  2. FIFA 22
  3. NBA 2K22*

Man ... we really don't learn.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44295 Posts

Nice to see Tales of Arise up there in the charts. Mario Kart 8 still killing it. Damn.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Casey-Wegner
Member since 2021 • 1470 Posts

I predicted this a while ago but the mods locked my thread.

https://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/oled-demand-in-october-so-strong-switch-will-lose-33570221/

Oled demand for October slowed Switch's sales enough in Sep to the point where PS5 broke its 33 month streak. I expect Switch to win October, November, and Dec handily.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

Nintendo is doomed

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15945 Posts

Nintendoomed threads is back baby

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sakaiXx

Spidey proving itself the Nintendo of Sony's products. Quite an amazing staying power even in europe it is still going strong.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Casey-Wegner

@hardwenzen said:

The PS5 would be smashing the Switch for almost a whole year straight if people could actually get their hands on one. Japan would be the only country in the world where the Switch would be dominating, cuz you know, casual gamers in there.

Nobody wants an underpowered system from half a decade ago. They're only buying it because they can't get their hands on the real deal. Or need a tablet for their kid in the kindergarten.

The PS5 is about to clapped again for the foreseeable future. Will you bet against it?

I actually predicted Switch would lose this month.

I'm a clairvoyant. You are like a vagrant yelling out absurdities on the street with no rhyme or reason.

Like you said Dread was going to get a 6 and everyone would think it's garbage.

Or that Elden Ring would have better graphics when the leaked footage was some of the most disgusting ever seen.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18042 Posts

@sheep99 said:

Nintendo is doomed

Yep, Nintendo is turning third-party any minute now.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By ButDuuude
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

The reason the Switch has held that streak is because people were waiting for the PlayStation 5 to come out and when it came out they couldn’t buy it anywhere😅. The fact that the Switch was outsold by a console that can’t be found anywhere is interesting.

And yes, it’s like my opinion, man.

Casey-Wegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Casey-Wegner

@ButDuuude said:

The reason the Switch has held that streak is because people were waiting for the PlayStation 5 to come out and when it came out they couldn’t buy it anywhere😅. The fact that the Switch was outsold by a console that can’t be found anywhere is interesting.

The Switch couldn't be found anywhere for years after it launch and beat PS4 sales handily in many of those months.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ButDuuude

@casey-wegner: Yes, because people knew the PlayStation 5 was coming soon. Don’t come at me with common sense and shiiiet, boy!

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ButDuuude

@sheep99: That’s it, Nintendo isn’t coming back from this one. We did it, guys! We won!

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#19 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19582 Posts

@madsnakehhh: I'm actually quite surprised FIFA is so high up in America... I didn't realize football (or "soccer" as they call it) is so popular there. Not that I'm a FIFA fan or anything, since I don't play football games anymore (used to prefer PES before Konami ruined it).

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hardwenzen  Online

@casey-wegner said:
@hardwenzen said:

The PS5 is about to clapped again for the foreseeable future. Will you bet against it?

I'm a clairvoyant. You are like a vagrant yelling out absurdities on the street with no rhyme or reason.

Or that Elden Ring would have better graphics when the leaked footage was some of the most disgusting ever seen.

You were supposed to leave the forum, sir. What happened? Did this news shook you up a bit? We both know the ps5 is in a SIGNIFICANTLY higher demand than the Switch ever was. Lets not fool ourselves here, if the ps5 was easily available like the Switch, it wouldn't only be the fastest selling system ever, but also one that is destroying all sales records. The Dread is a poorly designed game and the Switch is an unwanted underpowered console from five years ago. Its over, dude.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hardwenzen  Online
@casey-wegner said:
@ButDuuude said:

The Switch couldn't be found anywhere for years after it launch and beat PS4 sales handily in many of those months.

You're delusional🤣🤣🤣Couldn't be fund for years lmao. In Canada, it was hard to find in the first 3 weeks. Years he said LOL. Trying to make your system sound like its a ps5, a system with actual extreme demand is not gonna work. The Switch is unwanted. It is what it is.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jag85

@ButDuuude:

Artificial scarcity... That's what Cows always say whenever Nintendo consoles have been out of stock. Funny how Cows now see that as a positive for PS5.

ButDuuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ButDuuude

@Jag85: These are the top 3 selling games this year on all platforms:

Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War

Madden NFL 22

MLB: The Show 21 (excludes xbox digital sales)

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56216 Posts

Totally expected the Switch sales dying down as it was release back in 2017 and now in late 2021, (almost 2022) so just about everyone in the U.S already has a Switch so expect low sales and PS5 was release in 2020 after all, so make sense for 3 year gap makes a difference.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25  Edited By Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 7213 Posts

That list of top selling games on PS5 is pretty sad. To much dudebro crap for me.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18254 Posts

@Jag85 said:

@madsnakehhh: I'm actually quite surprised FIFA is so high up in America... I didn't realize football (or "soccer" as they call it) is so popular there. Not that I'm a FIFA fan or anything, since I don't play football games anymore (used to prefer PES before Konami ruined it).

Soccer is definitely more popular than previous years among US gamers, but also the amount of Latinos in US, i bet a lot of them are buying FIFA as well.

sheep99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sheep99
Member since 2020 • 1254 Posts

@ButDuuude: now we can Retire in peace from gaming Nintendon’t is Bankrupt

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#28 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49576 Posts

@mesome713 said:

That list of top selling games on PS5 is pretty sad. To much dudebro crap for me.

What games are "dudebro" to you and how do they qualify?

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#29 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41560 Posts

Why did Switch owners especially buy Diablo after everything Activision did?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mesome713

@Stevo_the_gamer: Madden, NBA, FIFA, CoD, etc. it’s game causal gamers play. They buy a PS5 and two dudebro games and call it a day.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45245 Posts

Let me guess, Sheep pretending this doesn't bother them lol

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6851 Posts

@sakaixx said:

Spidey proving itself the Nintendo of Sony's products. Quite an amazing staying power even in europe it is still going strong.

That was my takeaway, too. Good for Sony, Insomniac is making nothing but profit w/ that franchise.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: It bothered fake Casey enough that he came back from the dead to post here 😂

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mesome713

@vfighter: Casey predicted this. He knew all along. He even made a thread on it.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 sakaiXx

@shellcase86 said:
@sakaixx said:

That was my takeaway, too. Good for Sony, Insomniac is making nothing but profit w/ that franchise.

Seems like sales very strong too. Number 6 on PS chart but overall is 9th and overall top ten all games appeared on PS system. Seems PS having quite a strong sales month.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

The run is over… Let’s see if the Switch can still win 2021 overall.

And if anyone should be upset, it’s Lems. When will the Xbox win again? All that potential and consumer friendly blah blah blah. When do we start seeing results?

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17443 Posts

OMG, stop buying Madden!

They'll never invest in making the AT LEAST as good as NFL 2K5 as long as you guys keep buying it.

And I'm a huge fan of NFL Football

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jag85

@madsnakehhh: That's a good point. I didn't think of that. Football is huge in Latin America. And the US has a large Latin population. That could explain the spike in football's popularity in the US.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jag85

@sakaixx: Spidey is Sony's answer to Mario. Spidey may as well be Sony's mascot.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@mesome713 said:

@Stevo_the_gamer: Madden, NBA, FIFA, CoD, etc. it’s game causal gamers play. They buy a PS5 and two dudebro games and call it a day.

So, a game's popularity is the qualifier for "casual"ness?

@navyguy21 said:

OMG, stop buying Madden!

They'll never invest in making the AT LEAST as good as NFL 2K5 as long as you guys keep buying it.

And I'm a huge fan of NFL Football

I actually had a blast with the NFL Blitz games, it's a pity the IP was bought by EA Games.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

Were in a new ERA a playstation 5 era

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mesome713

@Stevo_the_gamer: No, is just whatever game the casual gamers buy the most. I’m one of them too, I buy Madden every year.

MysticalDonut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MysticalDonut
Member since 2021 • 2505 Posts

Can't believe Deathloop is that high up overall. Must have done better than I thought.

Pretty sad that Mario Kart 8, a game originally released in 2014 then re-released in 2017, is still in the top slot in 2021.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

@mesome713 said:

@Stevo_the_gamer: No, is just whatever game the casual gamers buy the most. I’m one of them too, I buy Madden every year.

So, a "casual" gamer buys a "non-casual game," that game then becomes casual?

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mesome713

@mysticaldonut: It’s crazy, only other game I know that has done that is GTA.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10626 Posts

@casey-wegner said:
@hardwenzen said:

Not only does he have a point about the supply constraints of the ps5, but you also know that the main reason behind the switch success is “solely“ because of their handheld crowd. The DS was a beast of a platform that destroyed the vita in popularity, while Nintendo only successful console in recent history (The Wii) only outsold the worst selling ps (the ps3) by like a couple of million units (if memory serves me correctly). So the ps and Xbox is going up against the handheld crowd more so than the console crowd of Nintendo, in which the ps5/ps4 did very well against.

mowgly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47 mowgly1
Member since 2017 • 2994 Posts

Of course Xbox wouldn't do it in homeland. LOL. So much about Xbox and Gamepass will destroy Switch and PS5.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#48 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

Oh no! My preferred console is not the number one seller!

That... doesn't affect my life in any meaningful way.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

I just feel bad for the Xbox. It has to be really sad coming in 3r place all of the time . 😢

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11138 Posts
@casey-wegner said:

Yep, this thread is worth it for the tears and coping. 🤣🤣🤣