Nintendo Switch 1K and 5ft drop test. Will others match?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

We all know Nintendo is famous for durability on their products. Nintendo still tests their products for low dropping. But this dude is gonna take a Switch all the way up to 1K feet and watch it drop. Would be cool to see other companies in such durability tests. Lets drop an Iphone from 1K feet!

It survived.

Update: Found the 5ft video from Gamespot.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/see-what-happens-when-a-nintendo-switch-gets-dropp/1100-6450473/

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@iandizion713: I'm sure if you could attach joycons to an iphone to act as crumple zones, it would survive as well :)

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Well not like there is much else to do with the Switch given it barely has any games. Probably the most fun they had with the system.

GordonFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 GordonFreeman
Member since 2017 • 588 Posts

All circumstance, you could reproduce a test like this one hundred times and I have no doubt that there would be over a 90% failure rate.

appariti0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 appariti0n
Member since 2009 • 5013 Posts

@emgesp: and this proves the Switch is faster than the ps4 or xbone.

As it hurtles towards earth at terminal velocity.....

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zeroyaoi
Member since 2013 • 2472 Posts

That could've been mine. =(

But seriously, what's the point of this test?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts
@zeroyaoi said:

Give me your friend code ASAP

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#8 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@appariti0n said:

@iandizion713: I'm sure if you could attach joycons to an iphone to act as crumple zones, it would survive as well :)

Agreed. Its obvious that it landed on the blue joycon. Take the joycons off and drop it from 100 ft. Bet it cracks.

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zeroyaoi

@FireEmblem_Man: I need to get my hands on one first. =P

You must be having fun with yours. =)

What games do you own?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FireEmblem_Man

@zeroyaoi said:

@FireEmblem_Man: I need to get my hands on one first. =P

You must be having fun with yours. =)

What games do you own?

Zelda: BotW, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Mario Kart 8 DX, Disgaea 5 Complete, Snake Pass, Blaster Master Zero, 1 2 Switch

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23718 Posts

Yeah, pointless test is pointless, could've gone either way. But sure, Nintendo does make some sturdy ass products. They pretty much always win in all the comparisons I've seen with similar tests.

I still give my vote to the Deamcast though. Saw one hit a tile floor from a 4 foot drop multiple times a day for a good while and never had an issue.

zeroyaoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 zeroyaoi

@FireEmblem_Man: That's quite the list of games. Let me guess, breath of the wild is your favorite.

Did you get FE?

OmniChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 OmniChris
Member since 2016 • 413 Posts

Joy con protected the main screen. Take those off, it'll smash into a million pieces.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

I love that the switch is modular. Instead of replacing the entire unit, you can save a bit of money replacing the joy cons.

RIP left joy con :(

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FireEmblem_Man

@zeroyaoi said:

@FireEmblem_Man: That's quite the list of games. Let me guess, breath of the wild is your favorite.

Did you get FE?

Of course it is, silly! Plan on getting Shantae next month. Of course BotW is my favorite!

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#17 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@emgesp said:

Well not like there is much else to do with the Switch given it barely has any games. Probably the most fun they had with the system.

This needs to stop being said. There are over 50 games on Nintendo's eShop right now. People who have Switches are playing them. Just because they don't have AAA titles that are spread over five or six different platforms already doesn't mean they don't have games. This isn't me being salty. This is me annoyed as shit at tired jokes.

Anyway....

The Switch only survived because the left joycon took the brunt of the impact. Drop it without the joycons and see how it fairs, especially if it lands on a corner.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7712 Posts

Now if it could only withstand it's own dock from damage

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Pro tip. Don't try to break your Nintendo Switch. ?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts

If anything drops from just a few feet right on its screen it's game over man, game over !

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iandizion713

Just added the 5K drop test from Gamespots article. Pretty amazing stuff. Love how Nintendo designs these things.

Loading Video...

10/10 durability test right here.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@zeroyaoi said:

Views and money ?! :0

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44147 Posts

Like the Switch, I'm not taking the Bait. :P

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:
@emgesp said:

This needs to stop being said. There are over 50 games on Nintendo's eShop right now. People who have Switches are playing them. Just because they don't have AAA titles that are spread over five or six different platforms already doesn't mean they don't have games. This isn't me being salty. This is me annoyed as shit at tired jokes.

Anyway....

The Switch only survived because the left joycon took the brunt of the impact. Drop it without the joycons and see how it fairs, especially if it lands on a corner.

Oh don't worry man @emgesp is an ardent Nintendo hater. He will however come in here in 3.2 seconds to claim that he owns all Nintendo consoles and that because of that he cannot be labeled a hater. He is though.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#25 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321: Lmao. I can't wait to get a Nintendo Switch. I need to see what all the fuss is about with this BOTW lol

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By emgesp

@JustPlainLucas said:
@emgesp said:

Anyway....

Yeah, but how many of those games are actually worth playing?

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

Oh don't worry man @emgesp is an ardent Nintendo hater. He will however come in here in 3.2 seconds to claim that he owns all Nintendo consoles and that because of that he cannot be labeled a hater. He is though.

No, I'm not a hater I just call a spade a spade. You just have lower standards than me. I simply expect better from Nintendo. Do you see my hate on the NES, SNES, N64 or GC? No because those were great consoles.

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#27  Edited By REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

@cainetao11: But realistically, you're not walking around with only the Switch screen/tablet, sans Joy-Cons. The only scenario that would be dropping in is if the dock gets knocked off a TV stand or something and the tablet falls down.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 sHaDyCuBe321

How to build an emgesp response:

1.) Claim your opinion is correct without any evidence whatsoever.

2.) Claim others have lower standards than you and are only making excuses for their preference, despite the fact that opinions are subjective.

3.) Make at least one derogatory statement about Nintendo.

4.) Name drop at least 2 Nintendo consoles and pretend like someone gives a shit about your opinion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#30  Edited By JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@emgesp said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@emgesp said:

Anyway....

Yeah, but how many of those games are actually worth playing?

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

No, I'm not a hater I just call a spade a spade. You just have lower standards than me. I simply expect better from Nintendo. Do you see my hate on the NES, SNES, N64 or GC? No because those were great consoles.

You know what, I'm with you on expecting better from the Switch, however, I acknowledge what's out there. Obviously, there's Zelda, which I played for almost a month straight. There are games that I never got around to, like Binding of Isaac, and I loved the hell out of that game. I Am Setsuna is another game that I enjoyed on my Switch. Super Bomberman Z should have been an automatic purchase for anyone who has history with the old Nintendo systems. Of course, there's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe which was a lot of fun to play again, thanks to a proper battle mode. Tumbleseed is unique game that I've been enjoying a good bit. Then of course, there's Puyo Puyo Tetris, and if you say a Tetris game isn't worth playing, something's wrong with you. Plus, I actually had the opportunity to pass a JoyCon to a co-worker during our breaks, and that's something you physically can't do with other system. Finally, Disgaea 5 Complete is perfect on the Switch, thanks to being able to take it with you wherever you go. It's just fantastic. In fact, any multiplatform game is better on the Switch for that reason alone.

Those are just the games that I have. There's plenty more of them that I want to get, but I don't because I can't find the time for them right now. There are plenty of games that are worth playing. In my opinion, the Switch's launch window titles have kept me busier than both the PS4 and Xbox One within the same time frame. It's funny... I hear, "Switch owners keep playing Zelda because they have nothing else to play." Well, I wonder how many PS4 owners were stuck playing Knack or Xbox One owners were stuck playing Ryse for the first few months...

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

2.) Claim others have lower standards than you and are only making excuses for their preference, despite the fact that opinions are subjective.

4.) Name drop at least 2 Nintendo consoles and pretend like someone gives a shit about your opinion.

Pretty much, his elitism is poison. The guy is obsessed with power in consoles, you'd think he should build a PC that will take advantage of games running in perfect 1080p and 60 FPS, but no because PC gaming costs too much money excuse.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#32 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

imma go drop my ps4 right now to see if it can compete. It should be tested for all the times im moving it

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By iandizion713

@aigis: Might be too heavy for the Drone to pick up.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#34 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@iandizion713: hmmm, another flaw I see

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@emgesp said:

It has more games than the PS4 if you have a good PC for multiplats.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Pointless test..why would you do that?...who's ever gonna accidentally drop it from 1000 feet?... :P

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By emgesp

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

No, its a fact you have lower standards than me considering how much leeway you give Nintendo. If Nintendo served shit on a plate you'd still call me out for being negative towards Nintendo. I've been playing on Nintendo consoles since the very beginning, so I have credibility. I was around when Nintendo was at their peak making some of the greatest games on excellent consoles. The Wii, Wii U were not excellent consoles and I'm going to assume the Switch won't be any different.

I dislike Nintendo post GC era, but I don't hate Nintendo as a whole. The majority of my gaming is on Nintendo consoles so I fail to see how I could be considered a hater just because I think their most recent products have been shit.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By emgesp

@foxhound_fox said:
@emgesp said:

It has more games than the PS4 if you have a good PC for multiplats.

LMAO!!! The fact you even have to say that just proves how lackluster the current library is on the Switch.

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Pretty much, his elitism is poison. The guy is obsessed with power in consoles, you'd think he should build a PC that will take advantage of games running in perfect 1080p and 60 FPS, but no because PC gaming costs too much money excuse.

I'm no obsessed with power. You obviously haven't been paying attention. I just expect Nintendo consoles to at least be in the ballpark compared to the competition. $300 for a glorified 2015 tablet is a joke. This will be another Nintendo console with lackluster AAA third party support. Sure it'll have solid Japanese support, but lets face it this isn't the 90's and early 2000's when Japanese developers reigned supreme with a bunch of quality games.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 sHaDyCuBe321

@emgesp:

Claims his opinion is correct with no evidence that my standards are lower than his? Check

Claims I have lower standards for having a positive opinion of the Nintendo Switch, completely ignoring that my opinion is my own and cannot be proven to be less valuable than his? Check

Derogatory statement about Nintendo? Check

"The majority of my gaming is on Nintendo consoles so I fail to see how I could be considered a hater" Mentions older gen Nintendo consoles as some sort of free pass for his shit opinion despite the fact that I have also been gaming on every Nintendo console since 88? Check...

...and mate.

Ladies and gentlemen I present to you every post emgesp has every produced on this forum.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 foxhound_fox

@emgesp said:

LMAO!!! The fact you even have to say that just proves how lackluster the current library is on the Switch.

Not nearly as lacklustre as the PS4's exclusive lineup.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 iandizion713

@sHaDyCuBe321: Well ill be damned.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By emgesp

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@emgesp:

Claims his opinion is correct with no evidence that my standards are lower than his? Check

Claims I have lower standards for having a positive opinion of the Nintendo Switch, completely ignoring that my opinion is my own and cannot be proven to be less valuable than his? Check

Derogatory statement about Nintendo? Check

"The majority of my gaming is on Nintendo consoles so I fail to see how I could be considered a hater" Mentions older gen Nintendo consoles as some sort of free pass for his shit opinion despite the fact that I have also been gaming on every Nintendo console since 88? Check...

...and mate.

Ladies and gentlemen I present to you every post emgesp has every produced on this forum.

Is it really that hard for you to understand why I think Nintendo's recent offerings are lackluster? The reason why I continue to bring up the past is because its relevant to the point I'm making. Do you honestly believe the Wii, Wii U were on a similar level to the NES, SNES, N64 and GC?

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By emgesp

@foxhound_fox said:
@emgesp said:

Not nearly as lacklustre as the PS4's exclusive lineup.

Bloodborne, UC4, Horizon, Nioh, Persona 5, Ratchet & Clank, Gravity Rush 2, TLG and Yakuza 0 are lackluster games?

Anyways, unlike Nintendo consoles Sony doesn't have to mainly rely on 1st party offerings.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 foxhound_fox

@emgesp said:

Bloodborne, UC4, Horizon, Nioh, Persona 5, Ratchet & Clank, Gravity Rush 2, TLG and Yakuza 0 are lackluster games?

Anyways, unlike Nintendo consoles Sony doesn't have to mainly rely on 1st party offerings.

It's been almost four years and that's all you can come up with? Seriously? I stand corrected, the PS4 lineup isn't lacklustre, it's downright dogshit. Even the PS3 had heavier hitters than this after four years.

It's a great console for people who don't own a gaming PC though, all those stellar multiplats.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#46  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19587 Posts

The Game Boy survived a Gulf War bomb explosion. The N64 survived being hammered and burnt. That's Nintendium for you.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 emgesp

@foxhound_fox said:
@emgesp said:

It's been almost four years and that's all you can come up with? Seriously? I stand corrected, the PS4 lineup isn't lacklustre, it's downright dogshit. Even the PS3 had heavier hitters than this after four years.

It's a great console for people who don't own a gaming PC though, all those stellar multiplats.

Those were just some of the better examples, not every exclusive. I don't understand why you keep bringing up the PC as its irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

People are mainly buying PS4 consoles as their primary gaming device, not as an addition to their PCs.

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

Why do Americans still use feet and inches? Its time to stop living in the past and use the metric system instead of outdated imperial system! Instead of saying 1000 feet, say 300 metres!

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7319 Posts

Certified Nintendium Product.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By iandizion713

@lavamelon said:

Why do Americans still use feet and inches? Its time to stop living in the past and use the metric system instead of outdated imperial system! Instead of saying 1000 feet, say 300 metres!

Cause Basketball goal is 10ft. Its how we raised.