Nintendo Releasing Mother 3 In The West This Year?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for charizard1605
#1 Posted by charizard1605 (82711 posts) -

Another tweet, since deleted:

One last thing before I vanish: Don't be surprised if Nintendo celebrates a game's 10th anniversary this year...Just some food for thought.

Mother 3 launched in 2006. Nintendo has hinted multiple times since 2014 that it may bring the game to the west (it never saw a western localization with its original release). Earthbound Origins and Earthbound both were released on the Wii U Virtual Console. Emily Rodgers is a Nintendo insider who has previously leaked multiple projects.

Considering some fine folks like @jg4xchamp and @Aljosa23 truly believe that this is one of the best games made, and certainly one of the best games at telling a story, I really cannot wait to try this myself.

Avatar image for zassimick
#2 Posted by zassimick (10458 posts) -

I haven't been able to give Earthbound its due in my gaming time, but I would buy this day 1 if it comes.

Avatar image for Maroxad
#3 Posted by Maroxad (15252 posts) -

I sure hope so.

That game was excellent.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
#4 Posted by deactivated-58ce94803a170 (8822 posts) -

I think we will get it this year. I havnt heard too many playing the Earthbound series on eShop, but im sure theyre enjoying them. Earthbound is on sale right now for $6.99 though.

Avatar image for charizard1605
#5 Posted by charizard1605 (82711 posts) -

@mesome713 said:

I think we will get it this year. I havnt heard too many playing the Earthbound series on eShop, but im sure theyre enjoying them. Earthbound is on sale right now for $6.99 though.

Earthbound is still the highest selling game on the NA eShop.

Is the first one on sale too?

Avatar image for brimmul777
#6 Posted by brimmul777 (4052 posts) -

It's probably because I'm dense?Mother 3?

Avatar image for charizard1605
#7 Edited by charizard1605 (82711 posts) -

@brimmul777 said:

It's probably because I'm dense?Mother 3?

Sequel to Earthbound. Highly sought after game released in 2005 for the GBA, never brought to the west.

Allegedly one of the best games ever made.

Avatar image for DarkLink77
#8 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:
@mesome713 said:

I think we will get it this year. I havnt heard too many playing the Earthbound series on eShop, but im sure theyre enjoying them. Earthbound is on sale right now for $6.99 though.

Earthbound is still the highest selling game on the NA eShop.

Is the first one on sale too?

Yes, Earthbound Origins. Came out last year, I think, or the year before.

Avatar image for charizard1605
#9 Posted by charizard1605 (82711 posts) -

@DarkLink77 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@mesome713 said:

I think we will get it this year. I havnt heard too many playing the Earthbound series on eShop, but im sure theyre enjoying them. Earthbound is on sale right now for $6.99 though.

Earthbound is still the highest selling game on the NA eShop.

Is the first one on sale too?

Yes, Earthbound Origins. Came out last year, I think, or the year before.

No no, I meant is it also on sale for $6.99?

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
#10 Posted by deactivated-58ce94803a170 (8822 posts) -

@charizard1605: Nah, the first is still regular price. at $6.99. Which is still cool i guess.

Avatar image for brimmul777
#11 Posted by brimmul777 (4052 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:
@brimmul777 said:

It's probably because I'm dense?Mother 3?

Sequel to Earthbound. Highly sought after game released in 2005 for the GBA, never brought to the west.

Allegedly one of the best games ever made.

Thank You for the heads up.I'll look a little bit into it. Just curious?Will it only be for Nintendo?

Avatar image for charizard1605
#12 Posted by charizard1605 (82711 posts) -

@mesome713 said:

@charizard1605: Nah, the first is still regular price. at $6.99. Which is still cool i guess.

The first one is just $6.99 to begin with?

Might as well buy it then

Avatar image for DarkLink77
#13 Posted by DarkLink77 (32731 posts) -

@mesome713 said:

@charizard1605: Nah, the first is still regular price. at $6.99. Which is still cool i guess.

If they're both the same price, who cares?

I've been saying it ever since Origins was released: they would not be taking the time and effort to localize that game, which nobody cares about, if they were not going to release Mother 3.

Avatar image for charizard1605
#14 Posted by charizard1605 (82711 posts) -

@brimmul777 said:

Thank You for the heads up.I'll look a little bit into it. Just curious?Will it only be for Nintendo?

Yeah, Wii U only

@DarkLink77 said:

If they're both the same price, who cares?

I've been saying it ever since Origins was released: they would not be taking the time and effort to localize that game, which nobody cares about, if they were not going to release Mother 3.

I didn't know the first game is $6.99 to begin with, for some reason I thought its regular price was $10

Anyway, the first game didn't require much of an effort to localize- it was already done back in 1990, but they forewent localizing it because the NES was on its way out in the US.

Avatar image for jg4xchamp
#15 Posted by jg4xchamp (61570 posts) -

No.

Avatar image for lamprey263
#16 Posted by lamprey263 (36108 posts) -

Is it because they think it's a good idea, like they finally heard gamers, or are they just doing this so nobody can claim they didn't do enough?

Avatar image for quatoe
#17 Edited by quatoe (7237 posts) -

I will sacrifice a mother fucking goat in ancient Judaic rituals to get this game brought to NA. Going to have consult with my older family members to see if they a Torah and a goat. Dont worry my Nintengods, the sacrifice shall happen!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
#18 Posted by deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95 (2103 posts) -

Nintendo: Here's Mother 3, but we left it untranslated. I hope you can understand Japanese.

Avatar image for GhoX
#19 Posted by GhoX (6267 posts) -

Think this may have something to do with the uber success of Undertale, which is influenced heavily by Earthbound/Mother series?

Avatar image for 93BlackHawk93
#20 Posted by 93BlackHawk93 (8599 posts) -

You should have played it already, Chaz.

Avatar image for DJ-Lafleur
#21 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (35604 posts) -

Holy hell yes please.

Do have a "borrowed" and translated copy of the game I never got around to playing yet. Would gladly wait for an eShop release of Mother 3 and buy it then.

Avatar image for darkspineslayer
#22 Posted by darkspineslayer (22399 posts) -

If it happens, I'll finally get around to giving Earthbound it's due so I can play this. I refuse to get my hopes up though.

Probably skip Origins myself. I hear it's aged like milk.

Avatar image for n64dd
#23 Posted by N64DD (11813 posts) -

Don't fucking tease me Nintendo.

Avatar image for charizard1605
#24 Edited by charizard1605 (82711 posts) -

@GhoX said:

Think this may have something to do with the uber success of Undertale, which is influenced heavily by Earthbound/Mother series?

Yes

Avatar image for MirkoS77
#25 Posted by MirkoS77 (14124 posts) -

Hope so, would love to try it.

Avatar image for charizard1605
#26 Posted by charizard1605 (82711 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

Hope so, would love to try it.

But it's Nintendo digital :p

Avatar image for MirkoS77
#27 Posted by MirkoS77 (14124 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Hope so, would love to try it.

But it's Nintendo digital :p

Damn. If they get accounts in order I'll still be hesitant but not completely opposed.

Avatar image for brn-dn
#28 Posted by brn-dn (1982 posts) -

What would they call it? Earthbound Endings?

Avatar image for charizard1605
#29 Posted by charizard1605 (82711 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Hope so, would love to try it.

But it's Nintendo digital :p

Damn. If they get accounts in order I'll still be hesitant but not completely opposed.

Well, hopefully My Nintendo does that

(how sad is it we have to hope for something like this in 2016?)

Avatar image for yokofox33
#30 Posted by yokofox33 (30775 posts) -

Please bring it over... I just love the lore of Earthbound/Mother.

Avatar image for MirkoS77
#31 Posted by MirkoS77 (14124 posts) -

@charizard1605: yea, no joke man. Better late than never.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
#32 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (28998 posts) -

@mesome713 said:

I think we will get it this year. I havnt heard too many playing the Earthbound series on eShop, but im sure theyre enjoying them. Earthbound is on sale right now for $6.99 though.

Ooooh. Great price. So many games so little time.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
#33 Edited by deactivated-58ce94803a170 (8822 posts) -

@GhoX said:

Think this may have something to do with the uber success of Undertale, which is influenced heavily by Earthbound/Mother series?

Im pretty sure they just released this in Japan before Undertale. I also think Earthbound Beginnings was released before Undertale. I think it was actually Undertale trying to ride off the Earthbound hype.

Avatar image for aigis
#34 Posted by aigis (7354 posts) -
@mesome713 said:

I think it was actually Undertale trying to ride off Earthbound hype.

There was Earthbound hype?

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
#35 Edited by deactivated-58ce94803a170 (8822 posts) -

@aigis: Kinda, lol. I think it was mainly people complaining Mother 3 wasnt out. I remember people hyping Undertale to high heaven would say, "Its the Earthbound you always wanted".

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
#36 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (9199 posts) -

If it happens they should do a retail package with all three games. I would buy that even though I have Earthbound from the eshop.

@charizard1605 said:
@MirkoS77 said:
@charizard1605 said:
@MirkoS77 said:

Hope so, would love to try it.

But it's Nintendo digital :p

Damn. If they get accounts in order I'll still be hesitant but not completely opposed.

Well, hopefully My Nintendo does that

(how sad is it we have to hope for something like this in 2016?)

Yeah it would be nice to be able to transfer my games from one Wii U to another without having to call Nintendo for permission.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
#37 Posted by deactivated-5b1e62582e305 (30778 posts) -

@GhoX said:

Think this may have something to do with the uber success of Undertale, which is influenced heavily by Earthbound/Mother series?

It's a possibility. Apparently the creator of Undertale was contacted by Nintendo too, presumably to port Undertale to one of their platforms.

Anyway this game is incredible and it's about time more people have played it. Easily one of the best games Nintendo has ever developed and/or published.

Avatar image for jg4xchamp
#38 Posted by jg4xchamp (61570 posts) -
@Aljosa23 said:
@GhoX said:

Think this may have something to do with the uber success of Undertale, which is influenced heavily by Earthbound/Mother series?

It's a possibility. Apparently the creator of Undertale was contacted by Nintendo too, presumably to port Undertale to one of their platforms.

Anyway this game is incredible and it's about time more people have played it. Easily one of the best games Nintendo has ever developed and/or published.

Which is absurdly impressive when you consider how many certified classics and exceptional games Nintendo has developed and or published.