Nintendo not revealing Zelda Breath of the Wild 2's name yet since it could hint at what will happen in the game

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5249 Posts

It has officially been two years since the revealing of the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Fans were treated to a new trailer today, but are not any closer to learning what the actual title is.

Regarding why Nintendo has not shared the official name yet, Nintendo Treehouse’s Bill Trinen told IGN:

“As for why we’re holding back on the name, you’ll just have to stay tuned because, obviously, Zelda names are kind of important. Those subtitles… they start to give little bits of hints about maybe what’s going to happen.”

As pointed out by IGN, previous Zelda entries have featured subtitles that reference important items like The Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time. Breath of the Wild highlights that game’s important theme / concept.

As for the fact that many have called the new game Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2, Trinen said it’s “going to be shorthand and it’s natural for people to want to find a shorthand way to frame it.” However, Nintendo is “still calling it the sequel to Breath of the Wild.”

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#2 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Subtitle... Zelda's Indoctrination. Her mind becomes enslaved by Gannon.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Its fine, we still have years to find out its full title. The game is for late 2023 anyways.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

What? It's like the same plot in every game.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@lamprey263: Except Majora’s Mask lol.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Wouldn't that mean the game end gets spoiled once it does get announced? That doesn't make a ton of sense.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

I think they want to reveal the name when they reveal the release date. That makes the most sense to me, since it's still a work in progress.

Looks great though, whatever it is. If they build on the structure of BOTW, and improve on the sky elements of Skyward Sword, this could easily be GOTY 2022.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44562 Posts

Does Link finally get some? What's it called? BotW2: Lover's Lost Paradise?

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Crack theory time (but be sure to quote me when it's inevitably correct).

The reason nintendo is so hush hush is because Zelda is the main character and played for most if not all of the game.

Notice the trailer has some suspicious notes. In particular, during every gameplay section they never show the character's face, and only during specific section do we have a good profile of the body type (the sky). Additionally there are two very distinct playable models, the sky character, and the normal one (as noted by the clothing.)

So my thought is because Link is OP as shit by the end of BOTW to the point where him suddenly going back to square 1 would be pretty lame (although granted, not unheard of from nintendo), he instead gets sidelined in the opening. There's already a lot of footage of him being grabbed/manhandled quite a bit during the beginning, it's easy to assume he's locked away by magic or whatever. Then the adventure is about Zelda becoming a hero because she got Wisdom magic and was locked away for 100 years. This means an easy story excuse for new shrines and challenges as well as new powers, new character interactions, and new things to look for. As for sky bro, there is already speculation this is flashback material, referencing the ancient champion, and it's not Link at all. My guess is these are short sections you play that reveal something in the present time after you play through them.

The game's title will be Breath of the Wild 2: The Legend of Zelda.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

We only saw Link in the blue outfit.

The other character was either Zelda or some other woman:

Linkette.

mave198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mave198
Member since 2004 • 7332 Posts

The Legend of Zelda : Zelda dies.

Makes sense....

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

So they're going to scratch out the name on all the boxes before release so they don't give anything away? Er, okay then...

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

@blueinheaven said:

So they're going to scratch out the name on all the boxes before release so they don't give anything away? Er, okay then...

Nah. It's a similar situation to previous Nintendo games like SMO where they don't want to reveal the big gimmick until the game is fully revealed.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69473 Posts

@Vaasman said:

Crack theory time (but be sure to quote me when it's inevitably correct).

The reason nintendo is so hush hush is because Zelda is the main character and played for most if not all of the game.

Notice the trailer has some suspicious notes. In particular, during every gameplay section they never show the character's face, and only during specific section do we have a good profile of the body type (the sky). Additionally there are two very distinct playable models, the sky character, and the normal one (as noted by the clothing.)

So my thought is because Link is OP as shit by the end of BOTW to the point where him suddenly going back to square 1 would be pretty lame (although granted, not unheard of from nintendo), he instead gets sidelined in the opening. There's already a lot of footage of him being grabbed/manhandled quite a bit during the beginning, it's easy to assume he's locked away by magic or whatever. Then the adventure is about Zelda becoming a hero because she got Wisdom magic and was locked away for 100 years. This means an easy story excuse for new shrines and challenges as well as new powers, new character interactions, and new things to look for. As for sky bro, there is already speculation this is flashback material, referencing the ancient champion, and it's not Link at all. My guess is these are short sections you play that reveal something in the present time after you play through them.

The game's title will be Breath of the Wild 2: The Legend of Zelda.

There is one major flaw in your theory, Link right hand has the whatever thing on it. They showed link arm being fused with it, not Zelda's.

Avatar image for deactivated-620299e29a26a
deactivated-620299e29a26a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-620299e29a26a
Member since 2010 • 1490 Posts

Legend of Zelda: Beath of the Wild 2: Link's Gender Fluid Awakening

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

@Pedro: Notice in the fully clothed model, the one I posit is Zelda, the janky robot hand isn't shown one way or the other, the character wears gloves. Also, they never actually show Link fusing, there are several dubious cuts in the trailer editing to make sure you never actually see the face of who is using the green arm, which seems pointless if they're not trying to set up a twist. This far in development why not just plainly show Link in a heroic pose with the new character model? I mean maybe I'm reading too much into the advertising meta here but it seems obvious that, if nothing else, they're about to set up some kind of major character bait and switch.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

From what I saw from the trailer, it looked just like the world of BotW 1 but with DLC sky expansion on top of it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#19 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69473 Posts

@Vaasman said:

@Pedro: Notice in the fully clothed model, the one I posit is Zelda, the janky robot hand isn't shown one way or the other, the character wears gloves. Also, they never actually show Link fusing, there are several dubious cuts in the trailer editing to make sure you never actually see the face of who is using the green arm, which seems pointless if they're not trying to set up a twist. This far in development why not just plainly show Link in a heroic pose with the new character model? I mean maybe I'm reading too much into the advertising meta here but it seems obvious that, if nothing else, they're about to set up some kind of major character bait and switch.

It is possible and it would be cool because it is a nice change for the game but I am not feeling in as strong as you are in the trailer.