PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1 PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

Source: Wii U News on Miiverse and Gamasutra.

"I think Nintendo is finally all-in on digital sales. It took some work, and I still don't understand why they let the business languish on the Wii, but they look like they've finally turned the corner."

"Specifically, they're edging up toward US$250 million in annual revenue from digital sales, and they've pushed digital sales to nearly 11% of their total software revenue. Given the company's weaker position this generation, that has to be welcome news for the company and its investors."

"Here's the historical picture on total digital sales:"

"To smooth out seasonal variations, I've chosen to use TTM (trailing 12-month) figures. So each point on the graph represents the revenue from the 12-month period ending on that date. The ¥27.1 billion figure, for example, is for the 12 months ending 31 December 2014 (i.e. calendar 2014)."

"To give you an idea of some turning points in the history, I've also added two platform launches. I think you can see that launching the 3DS did eventually stanch the declining digital revenue after the Wii fell apart. Then around the launch of the Wii U there was a serious increase in the rate of digital sales."

"But it's that jump this past quarter that's really remarkable. Here's the difference: the digital revenue between 1 April and 30 September 2014 was ¥10.7 billion. That's for a full six months, and in the following 3 months (between 1 October and 31 December), the company generated almost the sme amount: ¥10.4 billion."

"That's a big deal."

"As for how this measures up to Nintendo's larger software market, that ¥27.1 billion in digital revenue represents 10.8% of the company's total software revenue. Given where the company started with the Wii, they've come a tremendous distance. Here's that picture:"

"What's remarkable about this graph is that it does appear to show that Nintendo grew its digital revenue as a share of its total software from the launch of the 3DS to the launch of the Wii U. Then the company embarked on a new growth period around the launch of the Wii U, which then stagnated for about a year."

"Is this sustainable? Nintendo really needs a good answer to that question, and I'm not sure what they're going to do. Their hardware platforms are flagging a bit, and they will need an engaged set of users to keep up the software sales. It's possible that the New Nintendo 3DS models can help drive some interest, but we won't know those results for several more months."

Not really sure I understand everything that this guy is talking about...But basically, what he's saying is that Nintendo's digital E-Shop sales are making them a crap ton of money, right?

If so, that's great news. Just thought I'd share....Sharing is good. =)

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

pocket change.

M$ used half a billion just for the marketing of Kinect.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PikachuDude860

@Gue1: Is that how money much is costs to market games and stuff? No wonder Nintendo barely markets the Wii U, they would lose more money than they would make.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@Gue1 said:

pocket change.

Nintendo also loses more than that with just the Wii U.

@pikachudude860 said:

@Gue1: Is that how money much is costs to market games and stuff? No wonder Nintendo barely markets the Wii U, they would lose more money than they would make.

Not really, only if you have something you really need to get a ROI on. Kinect actually became very big and Kinect also was an expesnive piece of equipment in development and shipping/assembly.

A more accurate comparison is that XBL digital sales are around double the Nintendo figure or more.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Adorable. How much of that do they net?

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PikachuDude860

@TigerSuperman said:
@pikachudude860 said:

Not really, only if you have something you really need to get a ROI on. Kinect actually became very big and Kinect also was an expesnive piece of equipment in development and shipping/assembly.

A more accurate comparison is that XBL digital sales are around double the Nintendo figure or more.

They are? Hmm, I never knew that...I guess it's time for Nintendo to start that Wii U/3DS cross buy.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Its good news. It could be even better if they did more to encourage digital sales. A small internal HDD would have been huge for them at launch. Even if it was as small as 120 GB. I don't think they thought it could be something they could grow, but I have spent plenty of cash on their digital games and have been quite content. I am downloading the Prime Trilogy right now. Hopefully their next promotion will combine the Deluxe Digital Promotion with Club Nintendo and make it into a robust digital marketplace.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

thats nothing to brag about lmao proably what ms/sony make a month from xbl/psn fees

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Gue1 said:

pocket change.

Microsoft also owns Windows.

Nintendo only has gaming as it's revenue stream.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@Gue1 said:

pocket change.

Microsoft also owns Windows.

Nintendo only has gaming as it's revenue stream.

Nintendo has made/spent more than that (250 )before what are you talking about?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44566 Posts

Cool, I imagine they get most of that money as people are probably most drawn to their first party content.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

buck is a buck :)

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46309 Posts

@Gue1 said:

pocket change.

And ?

Isn't Kinect in the bin ?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Gue1 said:

pocket change.

And ?

Isn't Kinect in the bin ?

Indeed. Nintendo could do with $250 million what MS would need $1 billion for.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#15 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52429 Posts

Hai, I'm Bob BoxBody.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5252 Posts

That is great to hear and hope that it increases in the future.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14496 Posts

The digital future is inevitable, even for devices as ill-equipped for it as the Wii U.

What would be interesting to know is which titles drove that spike in digital adoption and what portion the digital sales account for out of total sales.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

They would have gotten more money from me, if they supported Visa Electron or at least added paypal support. Steam and PSN work fine with my VE, but Nintendo doesn't want to support it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17658 Posts

One has to wonder how much of that money is due to the fact that people have to pay multiple times for the same game on multiple platforms.

Looks like anti-consumer policies really do pay. People still think Nintendo's going to change this policy anytime soon? Yeah, I don't think so…

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#20 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

One has to wonder how much of that money is due to the fact that people have to pay multiple times for the same game on multiple platforms.

Looks like anti-consumer policies really do pay. People still think Nintendo's going to change this policy anytime soon? Yeah, I don't think so…

"Anti-consumer policies really do pay."

Looking at EA, Activision, and Ubisoft, does that REALLY surprise you?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MirkoS77

@nintendoboy16 said:

@MirkoS77 said:

"Anti-consumer policies really do pay."

Looking at EA, Activision, and Ubisoft, does that REALLY surprise you?

MT, DLCs, nah. When it comes to having to buy the same games twice.....yes, that's surprising.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

The suits at Nintendo I bet are finally noticing digital is bigger than they thought. I foresee a decent size HHD in their next console.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@Gue1 said:

pocket change.

Out of touch, I'd say. No one cares about the Kinect.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@Epak_ said:

They would have gotten more money from me, if they supported Visa Electron or at least added paypal support. Steam and PSN work fine with my VE, but Nintendo doesn't want to support it.

doesn't support VISA Electron, ****, may have to rethink my purchase this friday then, i was getting a Wii-U and the main draw was the ton of old games they have on there market but if a cannot use my Eelectron card i am screwed.

Is there anyway i can buy Credit in store like Voucher cards or something?

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts
@MirkoS77 said:

Nintendo's Online Network policies are tragic.

@Basinboy said:

The digital future is inevitable, even for devices as ill-equipped for it as the Wii U.

What would be interesting to know is which titles drove that spike in digital adoption and what portion the digital sales account for out of total sales.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#26 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41535 Posts

@delta3074 said:

@Epak_ said:

doesn't support VISA Electron, ****, may have to rethink my purchase this friday then, i was getting a Wii-U and the main draw was the ton of old games they have on there market but if a cannot use my Eelectron card i am screwed.

In places like Gamestop, there are eShop cards. Been a thing since the Wii when they were Wii Points.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

@delta3074 said:

@Epak_ said:

In places like Gamestop, there are eShop cards. Been a thing since the Wii when they were Wii Points.

Cheers dude, thank god for that, i am REALLY looking foreward to getting my Wii-U.

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

@delta3074: It's such a hassle though.

kenakuma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By kenakuma
Member since 2007 • 3462 Posts

Think of how higher that number would be if it weren't for their system tied account system.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

Now imagine how much more these morons would have made if they actually put HDD's in each console.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

@pikachudude860 said:

That's because MS sits atop a mountain of liquid capital. Remind yourself that MS's Xbox division is a financial drain on the company.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MirkoS77

@kenakuma: ...or lower.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

@kenakuma: ...or lower.

I'm betting it would be higher. Anti-consumer practices generally harm the company implementing them more than they help.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

and a 32gb Hardrive..