Nintendo had one of the worst E3's ever, and they STILL get all the press.

• 79 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gamer556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Gamer556
Member since 2006 • 3846 Posts

My local news had some story on E3 and all they talked about was the Wii and it's cheap, gimmicky lineup. Also, Fox News keeps running a story about E3 and all they talk about is the new Wii Sports. They don't even mention the Microsoft and Sony conferences, both of which were much better. It's unbelievable that this stuff actually sells. The Wii is the worst thing to ever happen to gaming. Ever.

punkrocker163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 punkrocker163
Member since 2006 • 2087 Posts

My local news had some story on E3 and all they talked about was the Wii and it's cheap, gimmicky lineup. Also, Fox News keeps running a story about E3 and all they talk about is the new Wii Sports. It's unbelievable that this stuff actually sells. The Wii is the worst thing to ever happen to gaming. Ever.

Gamer556

you sir are correct. wii ruined nintendo games imo. gamecubes games>>>wii games

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts

It's a press conference. Nintendo may have had the worst conference from our perspective, but from the criteria of an actual press conference, they did it perfectly.

I'm pretty sure investers and retailers would disagree with most of us about who had the best conference.

Raoul_Duke_HST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Raoul_Duke_HST
Member since 2006 • 1070 Posts
It must be great to be 15 and think that the world revolves around you...
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26114 Posts
Hmmmm.... how ironic. Nintendo literally created a rip in the universe, with the dimension where hardcore fans are crying and the dimension where it gets into the mainstream news. Oh well.
FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

E3 is no longer what we gamers think about. There is no booth babes, wild parties, and pre-game hype. Now it's nothing but being square with a business suit and counting your stock.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
[QUOTE="Gamer556"]

My local news had some story on E3 and all they talked about was the Wii and it's cheap, gimmicky lineup. Also, Fox News keeps running a story about E3 and all they talk about is the new Wii Sports. It's unbelievable that this stuff actually sells. The Wii is the worst thing to ever happen to gaming. Ever.

punkrocker163

so...super mario sunshine > SMG?
tbone29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tbone29
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

It's a press conference. Nintendo may have had the worst conference from our perspective, but from the criteria of an actual press conference, they did it perfectly.

I'm pretty sure investers and retailers would disagree with most of us about who had the best conference.

Tylendal

E3 is no longer what we gamers think about. There is no booth babes, wild parties, and pre-game hype. Now it's nothing but being square with a business suit and counting your stock.

FireEmblem_Man

These are true.

evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2076 Posts

Gamer556

Agreed. But thats the mind numbed masses for ya. Just look at what films gross the most at the box office and what "music" dominates radio and billboard charts.

Simplicity, repetition, and gimmicks sell. The average consumer is not as sophisticated as you may think.

Raoul_Duke_HST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Raoul_Duke_HST
[QUOTE="Gamer556"]

evilross

Agreed. But thats the mind numbed masses for ya. Just look at what films gross the most at the box office and what "music" dominates radio and billboard charts.

Simplicity, repetition, and gimmicks sell. The average consumer is not as sophisticated as you may think.

as opposed to that 'hardcore' gamer - who wont by a game without a number in the title...

Gamer556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gamer556

Tylendal

Are you an investor or a major retailer? Probably not. Why should us gamers give a **** about Nintendo's financial succes? I want good games, and they're not putting out. You can pretend like the show is catered to investors and retailers, and to some extent it is, but for you to be satisfied with that abysmal showing disgusts me. It's a game conference, and there were no games. You don't need to buy a ticket to E3 to know how well Nintendo is doing financially. We all get the NPD numbers. This was a chance for them to impress their loyal fans, and all they did was give you the finger.

ZenesisX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 ZenesisX
Member since 2008 • 1651 Posts
well i guess from there point of view, casual gamers would be watching.
Gamer556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gamer556

well i guess from there point of view, casual gamers would be watching.ZenesisX

Yeah, because my mom was glued to her computer screen for the live conference.

Raoul_Duke_HST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Raoul_Duke_HST
[QUOTE="Tylendal"]

Gamer556

Are you an investor or a major retailer? Probably not. Why should us gamers give a **** about Nintendo's financial succes? I want good games, and they're not putting out. You can pretend like the show is catered to investors and retailers, and to some extent it is, but for you to be satisfied with that abysmal showing disgusts me. It's a game conference, and there were no games. You don't need to buy a ticket to E3 to know how well Nintendo is doing financially. We all get the NPD numbers. This was a chance for them to impress their loyal fans, and all they did was give you the finger.

go look at the offical name for E3 - then come back to us...

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Tylendal
[QUOTE="Tylendal"]

Gamer556

Did I ever say I was pleased with the Nintendo press conference? And investers and retailers are exactly what the show caters to. It's not a "Expo" anymore, it's a "Business Summit". Yes, I was very dissipointed with their press conference, but I believe that they will show more at a smaller, more gamer oriented, conference.

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Tylendal

[QUOTE="ZenesisX"]well i guess from there point of view, casual gamers would be watching.Gamer556

Yeah, because my mom was glued to her computer screen for the live conference.

No, from their point of view, the people in the audience, who were invited, were watching. If they really wanted to cater the conference to gamers, they would have invited us.

Raoul_Duke_HST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Raoul_Duke_HST

Did I ever say I was pleased with the Nintendo press conference? And investers and retailers are exactly what the show caters to. It's not a "Expo" anymore, it's a "Business Summit". Yes, I was very dissipointed with their press conference, but I believe that they will show more at a smaller, more gamer oriented, conference.

Tylendal

I like you - neither acting like the universe revolves around you, nor pretending like from a gamer perspective ninty had anything but a boring conference - yay sanity!

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts

Tylendal

Exactly E3 is aimed at getting press coverage now, the 3rd parties are the ones who show off the decent stuff. So in that respect Nintendo's conference clearly won if that's all you're hearing about.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Willy105
[QUOTE="Tylendal"]

Gamer556

Weird, I don't remember the part of the conference when Reggie came up on stage and pulled the finger to the camera, but I may have missed it. Anyways, he was just saying E3's target audience has changed, and Nintendo will appeal to that audience, no matter how much we disagree. Tylendal wasn't trying to insult you.
Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
go to yahoo.com and check out the main news thing and u can see the ps3 highlighting the show
punkrocker163

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 punkrocker163
Member since 2006 • 2087 Posts
[QUOTE="punkrocker163"][QUOTE="Gamer556"]

Shinobishyguy

i knew i shouldve added that detail but i didnt. besides that. i played melee for way longer than brawl. idk why it wasnt as fun. but all their games nowadays are to hardcore like animal crossing. haha.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Willy105
[QUOTE="Willy105"]Hmmmm.... how ironic. Nintendo literally created a rip in the universe, with the dimension where hardcore fans are crying and the dimension where it gets into the mainstream news. Oh well.Thebettertwin
dont even have to be hardcore even the semi casuals should be turning their noses up at nintendo their conference was embarrasing games wise and that woman desvered to be severly slapped we are not all kids so stop talking down to us you *****

Somebody needs a time out....
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="punkrocker163"][QUOTE="Gamer556"]

punkrocker163

i knew i shouldve added that detail but i didnt. besides that. i played melee for way longer than brawl. idk why it wasnt as fun. but all their games nowadays are to hardcore like animal crossing. haha.

regardless of personal preferance brawl is superior to melee
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shinobishyguy
[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="punkrocker163"][QUOTE="Gamer556"]

punkrocker163

regardless of personal preferance brawl is superior to melee
Gamer556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gamer556
[QUOTE="Gamer556"][QUOTE="Tylendal"]

Tylendal

Today's E3 is not the same E3 of old, that is true, but it's still the most known game conference in the world. This was their chance to show us gamers something to look forward, and instead they gave us some lame soccer mom and the sorriest lineup you've ever seen. Their show didn't have to be spectactular (Microsoft and Sony's weren't), but what they gave us was almost insulting. If they felt they didn't need to show up on the biggest stage, what makes you think they'll wow us at some smaller show? I just don't see it happening.

Thebettertwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Thebettertwin
Member since 2005 • 1051 Posts
[QUOTE="Thebettertwin"][QUOTE="Willy105"]Hmmmm.... how ironic. Nintendo literally created a rip in the universe, with the dimension where hardcore fans are crying and the dimension where it gets into the mainstream news. Oh well.Willy105
dont even have to be hardcore even the semi casuals should be turning their noses up at nintendo their conference was embarrasing games wise and that woman desvered to be severly slapped we are not all kids so stop talking down to us you *****

Somebody needs a time out....

nope nintendo does to remember what gamers want but they turned their backs on them ages ago, just because theyve won over a few deluded casuals doesnt mean they should abandon gamers in the way they have
Sgt_Napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 Sgt_Napalm
Member since 2008 • 1811 Posts

It's because Nintendo has the money.

You are witnessing the economy, folks. This is human behavior.

Shall I explain?

Zhengi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zhengi
Member since 2006 • 8479 Posts
That's cause Nintendo did win E3. The mainstream press is there covering the event and that's who Nintendo was catering their conference to. Do people still think that E3 is that gaming behemoth it used to be? No, this isn't your grandfather's E3. It's the new downsized version which every gaming press, retailer, dev, etc. wanted and this is what you get.
Sgt_Napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 Sgt_Napalm
Member since 2008 • 1811 Posts

That's cause Nintendo did win E3. The mainstream press is there covering the event and that's who Nintendo was catering their conference to. Do people still think that E3 is that gaming behemoth it used to be? No, this isn't your grandfather's E3. It's the new downsized version which every gaming press, retailer, dev, etc. wanted and this is what you get.Zhengi

Correct. Money wise, Nintendo A++++++++++

Microsoft B-

Sony D

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Tylendal
[QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="Gamer556"][QUOTE="Tylendal"]

Gamer556

Today's E3 is not the same E3 of old, that is true, but it's still the most known game conference in the world. This was their chance to show us gamers something to look forward, and instead they gave us some lame soccer mom and the sorriest lineup you've ever seen. Their show didn't have to be spectactular (Microsoft and Sony's weren't), but what they gave us was almost insulting. If they felt they didn't need to show up on the biggest stage, what makes you think they'll wow us at some smaller show? I just don't see it happening.

You're just not getting it. E3 ISN'T the E3 of old. This wasn't their chance to show gamers something, this was their chance to show the industry something. Of course they're going to discuss business at a business summit. And that's why I expect bigger announcements at a proper convention or expo. Because conventions and expos are made for fan service...

Gamer556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gamer556

That's cause Nintendo did win E3. The mainstream press is there covering the event and that's who Nintendo was catering their conference to. Do people still think that E3 is that gaming behemoth it used to be? No, this isn't your grandfather's E3. It's the new downsized version which every gaming press, retailer, dev, etc. wanted and this is what you get.Zhengi

If that were the case, and E3 were nothing more than an event for financial gloating, why did Nintendo show us any games at all? They could have shown us charts and graphs for the full hour instead of just the first 15 minutes. The reason is because E3 is still an event for showcasing games, and in that regard Nintendo did a terrible job.

Gamer556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Gamer556
[QUOTE="Gamer556"][QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="Gamer556"][QUOTE="Tylendal"]

Tylendal

You're just not getting it. E3 ISN'T the E3 of old. This wasn't their chance to show gamers something, this was their chance to show the industry something. Of course they're going to discuss business at a business summit. And that's why I expect bigger announcements at a proper convention or expo. Because conventions and expos are made for fan service...

What I saw was not a business summit. It was a little bit of gloating and a whole lot of bad games. E3 has been downsized and is not the flashy circus show of the past, but it certainly hasn't been reduced to a suit and tie meeting solely for financial partners. Gamespot wasn't invited because of their financial ties. They were invited to cover games, because E3 is still a gaming convention, if a somewhat more civilized one.

flclempire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#35 flclempire
Member since 2004 • 4914 Posts

My local news had some story on E3 and all they talked about was the Wii and it's cheap, gimmicky lineup. Also, Fox News keeps running a story about E3 and all they talk about is the new Wii Sports. They don't even mention the Microsoft and Sony conferences, both of which were much better. It's unbelievable that this stuff actually sells. The Wii is the worst thing to ever happen to gaming. Ever.

Gamer556

You would rather Nintendo have released another 360/PS3? You want 3 identicle systems? Believe it or not some people are tired of playing the same game over and over, but with more gloss. The wii is the only system that actually involves innovation. The ps3 and 360 merely attempt to mimic the PC, and fail on every single front, except for simplicity.

While the wii has been the only innovative console, it has'nt NEARLY lived up to its potential, but it single handedly guarantees that the next gen will save console gaming. If Nintendo released a PS3/360 clone this gen the entire console gaming industry would have gone downhill continuously, and then in an attempt to revitalize the industry at least one of the companies would've made a wii-esque console the gen after this one.... And you would be here complaining, but just a few years later. The single worst thing to happen to gaming is a tie between GTA:SA and the Halo series.

TDLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TDLlama
Member since 2006 • 2779 Posts

Considering how Microsoft came out with all these casual-oriented features and some family-friendly games, Nintendo still gets more attention just with Animal Crossing and Wii Music. Microsoft tries to go mainstream and yet gets no mainstream love.

Nintendo might have lost among the hardcore gamers, but the casual media loved it.

flclempire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 flclempire
[QUOTE="Tylendal"][QUOTE="Gamer556"][QUOTE="Tylendal"]

Gamer556

WRRRROOOOOOONNNNNNGGG! (in luther's voice, o' course) E3 is for investors, kindly shut your noise hole. You have no1 to be angry at but yourself for being delusional.

death919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#38 death919
Member since 2004 • 4724 Posts

WRRRROOOOOOONNNNNNGGG! (in luther's voice, o' course) E3 is for investors, kindly shut your noise hole. You have no1 to be angry at but yourself for being delusional.

flclempire
THAT must be why they have demos of their games and all these new trailers. Because investors care about the latest news on Resistance 2's story and setting.
ps3wizard45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 ps3wizard45
Member since 2007 • 12907 Posts

Gamer556
nintendo did a horrible thing by introducing the public to gaming , cuz now the public sees the worst graphics/gameplay/gimmicks and act as if its the future its so agervating seeing people amused by the stupidest things "OH LOOK AT MEE WHERE EVER I MOVE THE CONTROLER THE GUY ON SCREEN MOVES ! " its agervating :x
Gamer556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Gamer556
[QUOTE="Gamer556"]

flclempire

You would rather Nintendo have released another 360/PS3? You want 3 identicle systems? Believe it or not some people are tired of playing the same game over and over, but with more gloss. The wii is the only system that actually involves innovation. The ps3 and 360 merely attempt to mimic the PC, and fail on every single front, except for simplicity.

While the wii has been the only innovative console, it has'nt NEARLY lived up to its potential, but it single handedly guarantees that the next gen will save console gaming. If Nintendo released a PS3/360 clone this gen the entire console gaming industry would have gone downhill continuously, and then in an attempt to revitalize the industry at least one of the companies would've made a wii-esque console the gen after this one.... And you would be here complaining, but just a few years later. The single worst thing to happen to gaming is a tie between GTA:SA and the Halo series.

That's a bunch of bull and you know it. A gimmicky controller, no matter how new it may be, does not excuse poor software. And since when has the gaming industry ever been in danger of declining? It's been steadily climbing since the NES days, without any motion sensing controllers. When gaming died out in the early 80's, it wasn't because of a lack of hardware innovation, it was because the games sucked. I guarantee you that an industry that relies on hardware gimmicks is much less stable than one that relies on a steady stream of quality software.

flclempire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 flclempire
[QUOTE="flclempire"]

death919

THAT must be why they have demos of their games and all these new trailers. Because investors care about the latest news on Resistance 2's story and setting.

Are we not talking about the conference? The nintendo conference only showcased the animal crossing trailer as an actual trailer. I'm not quite sure why they did that, its true that investors wouldn't care about that. Maybe they did it just to throw some scraps to the fans, although it obviously backfired. The showcase floor is for the gamers, but thats not what we are talking about. Nor is offstage e3 over.

Catpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Catpee
Member since 2006 • 2552 Posts

It must be great to be 15 and think that the world revolves around you...Raoul_Duke_HST

The gaming world does...

VideoGameGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 VideoGameGuy
Member since 2002 • 7695 Posts
This was Nintendos' oppurtunity to show the BUSINESS world that their strategy for continually expanding the market didn't end with Wii Sports, Wiiplay and WiiFit. Don't take so much stock into one event. 79 Wii games in development, you know many are going to be core games and are going to be announced soon enough.
flclempire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 flclempire
[QUOTE="flclempire"][QUOTE="Gamer556"]

Gamer556

That's a bunch of bull and you know it. A gimmicky controller, no matter how new it may be, does not excuse poor software. And since when has the gaming industry ever been in danger of declining? It's been steadily climbing since the NES days, without any motion sensing controllers. When gaming died out in the early 80's, it wasn't because of a lack of hardware innovation, it was because the games sucked. I guarantee you that an industry that relies on hardware gimmicks is much less stable than one that relies on a steady stream of quality software.

"A gimmicky controller, no matter how new it may be, does not excuse poor software."

Which is why I said "it has'nt NEARLY lived up to its potential".

"And since when has the gaming industry ever been in danger of declining?"

599 US dollars, 599 US dollars. The enormous price tag alone cuts the customer base in at least half, even with the price cuts. I didn't mean that the industry would collapse or anything, I meant that sales would be quite stale and nowhere near the sales amount of last gen. These crappy sales would've prompted at least 1 company to change their next gen console to be more than just a graphics showcase, don't you think?

shearMario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 shearMario
Member since 2003 • 2134 Posts
Nintendo shown casual stuff at the show for that very reason, to get the non-gamers to listen, to get the casual games into everyday news and magazines. Nintendo know exactly what they are doing, Nintendo could have had a host of other stuff at the show like Fatal Frame 4, Madworld, skate it, the conduit, disaster amongst others but decided against that. They are using a mainstream show like E3 to get across to a new audience.
Paul_Phoenicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Paul_Phoenicks
Member since 2002 • 1015 Posts
[QUOTE="Gamer556"]

ps3wizard45
nintendo did a horrible thing by introducing the public to gaming , cuz now the public sees the worst graphics/gameplay/gimmicks and act as if its the future its so agervating seeing people amused by the stupidest things "OH LOOK AT MEE WHERE EVER I MOVE THE CONTROLER THE GUY ON SCREEN MOVES ! " its agervating :x

Yeah, because every developer in the industry can afford to make the big-budget games of today... If there were no Wii/DS, and every game was the big-budget Gears/Fallout/Resistance fare, you'd see more articles on GameSpot about Psychonauts-type games that are quality and don't sell. You'd get more companies going into the red and going out of business. The industry couldn't support nonstop blockbusters - you need to make a SingStar to budget a Resistance. You need to make a Madden to make a Dead Space. You bring in the public, you make more money. You make more money, you can do more in the future. What that is, I have no clue.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Tylendal

What I saw was not a business summit. It was a little bit of gloating and a whole lot of bad games. E3 has been downsized and is not the flashy circus show of the past, but it certainly hasn't been reduced to a suit and tie meeting solely for financial partners. Gamespot wasn't invited because of their financial ties. They were invited to cover games, because E3 is still a gaming convention, if a somewhat more civilized one.

Gamer556

But that is a business summit. The gloating is showing that they are a solid company that is going places, and can be trusted. The so called "bad games" are games that are going to sell huge, and make big money for any retailers that stock them.

E3 is not pure suit & tie, but the press conference pretty much is.

Gamer556

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Gamer556

This was Nintendos' oppurtunity to show the BUSINESS world that their strategy for continually expanding the market didn't end with Wii Sports, Wiiplay and WiiFit. Don't take so much stock into one event. 79 Wii games in development, you know many are going to be core games and are going to be announced soon enough.VideoGameGuy

I've been waiting 2 years for those core games to come, and so far I've gotten a mere handful. It's become quite obvious that Nintendo no longer cares about the hardcore crowd.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts
Yes this is how E3 and gaming in general has always worked, in 2000 I think it was Sega had by far the best showing for E3 with DC software well above anything on the PS brand, yet Sony still managed to get far more coverage and consequently sell more :|. If somebody has informed you at some point that life is fair they were lying :P.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Tylendal
[QUOTE="ps3wizard45"][QUOTE="Gamer556"]

Paul_Phoenicks

Yeah, because every developer in the industry can afford to make the big-budget games of today... If there were no Wii/DS, and every game was the big-budget Gears/Fallout/Resistance fare, you'd see more articles on GameSpot about Psychonauts-type games that are quality and don't sell. You'd get more companies going into the red and going out of business. The industry couldn't support nonstop blockbusters - you need to make a SingStar to budget a Resistance. You need to make a Madden to make a Dead Space. You bring in the public, you make more money. You make more money, you can do more in the future. What that is, I have no clue.

The one thing, that excites me more than any other even this generation, is seeing online flash-game developers making Wii-Ware games. That throws the doors wide open for fresh talent and smaller indie developers, at a time when every other company seems to be merging.