Nintendo DS.... taken a little too far??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Firefly1jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Firefly1jedi
Member since 2006 • 1364 Posts

Ok i love the DS, i think that it is a cool system and is great for on the go gaming, but i think that they've taken it a little to far with how many of these things they have come out with... how are ppl suposse to keep up with it?? I mean first it was the DS, then DSlite, then DSI, then the bigger DS, and now the 3DS.... does this seem a little rediculas to anyone else? I mean by the time they made all these advancements for the DS they could of made an entire new protable system and had all this included on it. Idk, maybe im crazy, but when i find alotta friends selling there wiis just so they can keep up on the DS it makes my head shake.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
The 3DS is an entirely new portable.
Avatar image for Vinegar_Strokes
Vinegar_Strokes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Vinegar_Strokes
Member since 2010 • 3401 Posts

Ok i love the DS, i think that it is a cool system and is great for on the go gaming, but i think that they've taken it a little to far with how many of these things they have come out with... how are ppl suposse to keep up with it?? I mean first it was the DS, then DSlite, then DSI, then the bigger DS, and now the 3DS.... does this seem a little rediculas to anyone else? I mean by the time they made all these advancements for the DS they could of made an entire new protable system and had all this included on it. Idk, maybe im crazy, but when i find alotta friends selling there wiis just so they can keep up on the DS it makes my head shake.

Firefly1jedi

just because they iterate on the hardware every year doesn't mean you need to 'keep up' .the inners of the DS have remained largly unchanged for about 5 years. if all these people that you know are going out and selling there wii's to buy a slightly smaller and then a larger DS then there idiots.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#4 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

Firefly1jedi

The 3DS is it own handheld. It's not another version of the DS.

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
Well, it's really up to the consumer whether or not they want to purchase every single system. I year this a lot with movies also. All the different versions, expanded, etc. It's better to have more choices especially for those who will be purchasing their first.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

meh, i'm going to wait to see what the psp2 has to offer before i make a choice

Firefly1jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Firefly1jedi
[QUOTE="Vinegar_Strokes"]

[QUOTE="Firefly1jedi"]

just because they iterate on the hardware every year doesn't mean you need to 'keep up' .the inners of the DS have remained largly unchanged for about 5 years. if all these people that you know are going out and selling there wii's to buy a slightly smaller and then a larger DS then there idiots.

Yea thats what i told um. :P And yes the hardware has stayed the same but the improvments that were made make you feel like you need the next one. i mean look at the DS and the DSlite, comparing the 2, it was insanly better, but my thing is why couldnt they just start with this from the begining. and then there was the DSI, if they planned to upgrade why wouldnt they go all out and never have the dslite? why make an inbetween ya know?
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts
ninty should have another press conference about this or get in touch with various outlets asking them to clarify it for everyone. joe public seem to be very confused. the 3DS is the NEXT GENERATION DS. its the DS2. its not a respin of existing DS hardware or any of that. brand new and much more powerful internals compared to the DS, lots of new features and its own exclsuive games. itll have BC with DS games but 3DS games will NOT work on any previous DS.
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

ninty should have another press conference about this or get in touch with various outlets asking them to clarify it for everyone. joe public seem to be very confused. the 3DS is the NEXT GENERATION DS. its the DS2. its not a respin of existing DS hardware or any of that. brand new and much more powerful internals compared to the DS, lots of new features and its own exclsuive games. itll have BC with DS games but 3DS games will NOT work on any previous DS.osan0

haha I know, its rediculous how many people don't get that. Look at any pic of a game and its extremely evident.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

ds phat, ds lite, dsi, dsixl

4 versions of the ds lol.. yea its a bit much

they also had gameboy, gameboy pocket, gameboy color, gameboy light, gameboy advance, gameboy advance sp...lol

Firefly1jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Firefly1jedi
[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

they also had gameboy, gameboy pocket, gameboy color, gameboy light, gameboy advance, gameboy advance sp...lol

Yes but look at the number of years there were between the original gameboy and the sp... DS hasnt been out near as long.
Firefly1jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Firefly1jedi
ninty should have another press conference about this or get in touch with various outlets asking them to clarify it for everyone. joe public seem to be very confused. the 3DS is the NEXT GENERATION DS. its the DS2. its not a respin of existing DS hardware or any of that. brand new and much more powerful internals compared to the DS, lots of new features and its own exclsuive games. itll have BC with DS games but 3DS games will NOT work on any previous DS.osan0
OOOOOOooooo C i didnt know that, i just thot it was the same but a more advanced version. my bad. :/
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#14 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I agree that there are to many versions of the DS. However, the 3DS is an all new system.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Firefly1jedi

The DS had 4MB of RAM, the 3DS has 128MB of RAM..

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

[QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

Firefly1jedi

Yes but look at the number of years there were between the original gameboy and the sp... DS hasnt been out near as long.

I really don't get how you don't know its a new generation.

And you're arguement is invalid

Game Boy: Original Game Boy, GB Pocket

Game Boy Color: Only had the Game Boy Color

Game Boy Advance: GBA, GBA SP

DS: DS Phat, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL

PSP: PSP Fat, PSP 2000, PSP 3000, PSP Go

The original GB and the Sp aren't the same thing

Game Boy was 1989 to 1998, then GBC was 1998 to 2001, and GBA was 2001 to 2004, and DS was 2004 to 2011

So literally, the DS was out longer than ALL of them, more than GBC and GBA combined, excluding GB, before the new console came out

The Game Boy had 9 years before the next generation handheld, the GBC came out, and the DS is approaching 7 years (6 and half) by the time the 3DS comes out

Seems good to me

alienlegion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 alienlegion
Member since 2010 • 241 Posts
They've been doing this since the Gameboy came out. Nothing new.
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
You don't need to buy a new one every time they come out and the 3DS is completely new.
Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

[QUOTE="Firefly1jedi"]

Lucianu

The DS had 4MB of RAM, the 3DS has 128MB of RAM..

Actually we don't know that, but we know it has 96MB RAM, oh gawd just saying 96MB of RAM in the 3DS gets me all excited!

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44568 Posts
with the ability to download titles to your DS from an online marketplace, I think Nintendo needs to evolve how they do online accounts so you can transfer rights of your files to another DS unit, say I wanted to upgrade to a DSi XL and trade in my DSi, and I want to transfer my game rights... well, Nintendo doesn't allow you to do that, Nintendo will only help you recover your rights to something if the item breaks, so they've told me
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17820 Posts
with the ability to download titles to your DS from an online marketplace, I think Nintendo needs to evolve how they do online accounts so you can transfer rights of your files to another DS unit, say I wanted to upgrade to a DSi XL and trade in my DSi, and I want to transfer my game rights... well, Nintendo doesn't allow you to do that, Nintendo will only help you recover your rights to something if the item breaks, so they've told melamprey263
do they not? ouch. i remember when i was trading in my DSfat for a DSLite that there was a system in place to allow you to transfer your codes over. so all the games that had FCs still used the same FCs when i had the lite. i would have thought they would have a similar system for the DSI. transfer codes over and you could redownload your games or something. i know the wii has no such system though. indeed that is something ninty will need to look into. i know they are developing a system so that you can transfer your DSI details over to your 3DS. hopefully that tool will also work for people who want to go from a 3DS to a 3DS lite or the DS3 or whatever (i know its not even out yet and its succssor has already been mentioned now :P)
Firefly1jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Firefly1jedi

[QUOTE="Firefly1jedi"][QUOTE="KBFloYd"]

darth-pyschosis

Game Boy was 1989 to 1998, then GBC was 1998 to 2001, and GBA was 2001 to 2004, and DS was 2004 to 2011

So literally, the DS was out longer than ALL of them, more than GBC and GBA combined, excluding GB, before the new console came out

The Game Boy had 9 years before the next generation handheld, the GBC came out, and the DS is approaching 7 years (6 and half) by the time the 3DS comes out

Seems good to me

Well, he made it out to be that the gameboy was the same thing jsut evolving over time, which i half to agree with to some degree, my saying back to him was simply a 'ya it was getting better and better like there doing with the DS, but they did it over a course of' according to you, 15 years, where with the ds they have rapidly changed it in 7' the ds has had 4 changes in the last 7 years, which is a crap load, where the GB had 6 or more over 15... you see where im coming from. and btw this line "So literally, the DS was out longer that ALL of them," makes no sence....

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

[QUOTE="Firefly1jedi"] Yes but look at the number of years there were between the original gameboy and the sp... DS hasnt been out near as long. Firefly1jedi

Seems good to me

Well, he made it out to be that the gameboy was the same thing jsut evolving over time, which i half to agree with to some degree, my saying back to him was simply a 'ya it was getting better and better like there doing with the DS, but they did it over a course of' according to you, 15 years, where with the ds they have rapidly changed it in 7' the ds has had 4 changes in the last 7 years, which is a crap load, where the GB had 6 or more over 15... you see where im coming from. and btw this line "So literally, the DS was out longer that ALL of them," makes no sence....

Are you counting the gameboy advance as a change to the gameboy? Because gameboy was just a brand name like playstation, The gameboy advance and to an extent the GBC are completely new systems, just like the 3DS is a completely new system.
DerpyMcDerp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24 DerpyMcDerp
Member since 2010 • 1165 Posts

Exactly, who would pay 250 dollars for a 3d DS when you can get a PSP for 100 dollars?

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

Nobody said you have to buy the new ones. I bought the original DS at launch and still have it. I chose not to upgrade beacuse I was happy with the original. Also the 3DS is a new HH. Sony has done the same thing. PSP 1000, PSP 2000, PSP 3000 and PSP Go.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#26 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Exactly, who would pay 250 dollars for a 3d DS when you can get a PSP for 100 dollars?

DerpyMcDerp

Stop trolling man.

LovePotionNo9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LovePotionNo9
Member since 2010 • 4751 Posts

You don't have to buy every version. They all play the same games, except for the DSi's DSiware, which isn't much. I like seeing hardware being continually refreshed. It's not like your older versions are incapable of playing the games. I could understand you being upset about that situation, but it's not like that.

e_stone001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 e_stone001
Member since 2007 • 1769 Posts

meh, i'm going to wait to see what the psp2 has to offer before i make a choice

Chris_Williams
Me too. Hopefully it'll be shown on the 27th of this month if the rumors are true. The 3DS looks good, but I need to see more from it.
Wii4Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Wii4Fun
Member since 2008 • 1472 Posts

DerpyMcDerp

The many millions who bought a DS over a PSP troll.

bowser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#30 bowser3
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts

DerpyMcDerp

Well then why dont we all just buy a couple of gamecubes and ps2 and sell out ps3 and 360s. The psp is 6 years old with out of date tech and has practically no games, while the 3ds has a great lineup and is backwards compatible with the original ds games.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#31 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Advance SP.......

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="DerpyMcDerp"]

bowser3

Well then why dont we all just buy a couple of gamecubes and ps2 and sell out ps3 and 360s. The psp is 6 years old with out of date tech and has practically no games, while the 3ds has a great lineup and is backwards compatible with the original ds games.

come on dude, it's been 6 years.

The PSP has games.

bowser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 63

#33 bowser3
Member since 2008 • 446 Posts

[QUOTE="bowser3"]

[QUOTE="DerpyMcDerp"]

LegatoSkyheart

The PSP has games.

Well it has a few worth playing games and that about it.:|

Firefly1jedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Firefly1jedi
[QUOTE="soulitane"][QUOTE="Firefly1jedi"]

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]

Seems good to me

Are you counting the gameboy advance as a change to the gameboy? Because gameboy was just a brand name like playstation, The gameboy advance and to an extent the GBC are completely new systems, just like the 3DS is a completely new system.

No that was what KBFloYd was saying. i was jsut trying to explain my comment to the other guy. and he said ds has been out longer then all of them when he clearly put before that that gameboy was out for 9 years and DS has only been out for about 6 1/2... thus making that comment make no since....
Crystal-Rush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Crystal-Rush
Member since 2005 • 2274 Posts

It's a completely new generation of handhelds. It may look familiar to the DS family, and have a DS title in it's name but the 3DS is next gen. I swear idiots like yourself are getting thicker and thicker, it's almost hard to comprehend just how stupid some people really are, and still are amongst these forums. I would understand if you genuinely didn't know much about the 3DS, but you sound like your bashing the 3DS regardless of the facts that your completely ignoring.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

The PSP has games.

bowser3