Nintendo DS and Wii Wi-Fi Connection Service to End May 20

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#1 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

From DualShockers

As of tomorrow (May 20), many Wii, Nintendo DS, and Nintendo DSi games will be affected by the discontinuation of Wi-Fi Connection. This includes online play, matchmaking, and leaderboards. Online play for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games will be unaffected, however, this does affect Wii mode on Wii U and Nintendo DS games played on 3DS family systems. Other areas such as access to the Wii Shop Channel, video-on-demand services, and the Nintendo DSi Shop are not affected as well.

Nintendo offers a complete list of games and services that will be affected. Players can still access games in offline mode.

“We at Nintendo sincerely thank our fans for their continued support of our company’s legacy systems. Your enthusiasm for games made for these systems speaks to their longevity, and the passion of Nintendo fans.”

This sounds terrible... I don't understand why they're doing this, to make people want a Wii U maybe?

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Really sucks. 'Tis a sad day. I'm definitely gonna miss the free online. It had some great online games.

noodlevixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By noodlevixen
Member since 2010 • 480 Posts

This is no surprise. They want people to focus on the 3ds and WiiU.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

stupid stupid stupid!

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CyberLips

@farrell2k said:

Legacy systems eventually lose support. What's the big deal?

The Wii is a legacy system??

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@CyberLips:

@CyberLips said:

@farrell2k said:

everything is legacy as soon as new systems come out.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

not great, not bad.

just par for the course really.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts

@CyberLips said:

From DualShockers

As of tomorrow (May 20), many Wii, Nintendo DS, and Nintendo DSi games will be affected by the discontinuation of Wi-Fi Connection. This includes online play, matchmaking, and leaderboards. Online play for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS games will be unaffected, however, this does affect Wii mode on Wii U and Nintendo DS games played on 3DS family systems. Other areas such as access to the Wii Shop Channel, video-on-demand services, and the Nintendo DSi Shop are not affected as well.

Nintendo offers a complete list of games and services that will be affected. Players can still access games in offline mode.

“We at Nintendo sincerely thank our fans for their continued support of our company’s legacy systems. Your enthusiasm for games made for these systems speaks to their longevity, and the passion of Nintendo fans.”

This sounds terrible... I don't understand why they're doing this, to make people want a Wii U maybe?

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection runs on Gamespy. The reason the DS and Wii games are shutting down is because Gamespy is shutting down. It's not something Nintendo chose to do, they really have no way of stopping it.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CyberLips

@inb4uall said:

@CyberLips:

@CyberLips said:

Well, we learn something every day.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#11  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@inb4uall said:

@CyberLips:

@CyberLips said:

@farrell2k said:

*mind blown*

UnbiasedPoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By UnbiasedPoster
Member since 2013 • 1134 Posts

100 million + sold and they couldn't even give their us 2 years. Oh well, not like there was shit on that system worth playing online anyways. What a slap in the face either way.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

Gonna miss Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Black, White, Black 2, and White 2's multiplayers.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

T~T

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@CyberLips said:

@farrell2k said:

Debatable if it's a legacy system. It has "effectively" been dead for a couple of years in most people's eyes, but it is technically still being sold in stores to this day (albeit with a gimped model that can't go online anyway)

This is the first I've heard of it. Is there no uproar from sheep about this? It seems rather ridiculous to me, I almost thought it had to be a hoax or last month's April fools joke or someting. But it's for real, and happening tomorrow. Wow.

They should definitely shut down individual games that have little or no online activity, but to just axe the entire system that fast is just wrong IMO. I doubt this helps them sell Wii-U, if anything, it's another knock against them for not supporting their systems like the others.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 2Chalupas

@CrownKingArthur said:

not great, not bad.

It just strikes me that it's way too soon, especially to axe the entire system across the board. Why not just do it on a game by game basis and leave a few servers for Mariokart and some others? Is Nintendo really THAT cheap???

Obviously everyone knows consoles will get shut off, but I can't imagine PS3 or 360 having the plug pulled like that, not even in 2015 or 2016. Seems like those consoles will be going at least a few more years for sure (considering they are still getting new games with online play, and will be for at another least a year or so).

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#17  Edited By Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Never played online, so it doesn't impact me. I definitely get why people are pissed though.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#18  Edited By Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26098 Posts

@2Chalupas said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

not great, not bad.

It just strikes me that it's way too soon, especially to axe the entire system across the board. Why not just do it on a game by game basis and leave a few servers for Mariokart and some others? Is Nintendo really THAT cheap???

Obviously everyone knows consoles will get shut off, but I can't imagine PS3 or 360 having the plug pulled like that, not even in 2015 or 2016. Seems like those consoles will be going at least a few more years for sure (considering they are still getting new games with online play, and will be for at another least a year or so).

It's happening to all games using the Gamespy servers.

If you are saying that Nintendo is cheap because they aren't going to support the servers of a dead company that also hosts the servers for a ton of other games for other systems that are also going offline this month, then yes Nintendo is 'cheap'. That would be a ridiculous expense. Nintendo isn't axing the entire system across the board; Gamespy is, by virtue of no longer existing.

However, Nintendo is preserving all Wii Shop Channel content (which runs from their servers, not Gamespy), so stuff you bought and paid for digitally will still be available.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

This happens.... EA just cut the line on like 50 games.

DS is old, and the Wii has to dead by now.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#20 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

The only Nintendo games I ever really played online frequently were the Mario Kart games since the DS version.

So seeing as how I have Mario Kart 7 and then 8 to look forward, as well as an actually good online for Smash 4, I'll be good.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Well, that sucks.

starwolf474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 starwolf474
Member since 2013 • 989 Posts

@farrell2k said:

Nintendo should support it for longer than a year a half though. Microsoft kept Xbox Live up for the original Xbox for over four years after the 360 was released and I bet they keep it up for the Xbox 360 for even longer. Nintendo shutting it down after only a year and a half since the Wii U released just further sends the message that Nintendo doesn't care about online gaming.

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

Meh whatever, bound to happen. Can't really think of a wonderful online experince I like on Wii or DS beside Mario Kart anyway.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@starwolf474 said:

@farrell2k said:

Nintendo should support it for longer than a year a half though. Microsoft kept Xbox Live up for the original Xbox for over four years after the 360 was released and I bet they keep it up for the Xbox 360 for even longer. Nintendo shutting it down after only a year and a half since the Wii U released just further sends the message that Nintendo doesn't care about online gaming.

GameSpy servers, not Nintendo's

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#25  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Blame Gamespy, not Nintendo.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 2Chalupas

@Willy105 said:

@2Chalupas said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

not great, not bad.

It's happening to all games using the Gamespy servers.

If you are saying that Nintendo is cheap because they aren't going to support the servers of a dead company that also hosts the servers for a ton of other games for other systems that are also going offline this month, then yes Nintendo is 'cheap'. That would be a ridiculous expense. Nintendo isn't axing the entire system across the board; Gamespy is, by virtue of no longer existing.

However, Nintendo is preserving all Wii Shop Channel content (which runs from their servers, not Gamespy), so stuff you bought and paid for digitally will still be available.

Is it not Nintendo's fault for relying entirely on an external 3rd party to run 100% of their online gameplay infrastructure, then failing to have contingency plans should a service issue arise? Is this not directly related to Nintendo's lack of building out their own infrastructure? (i.e. their "cheapness").

It's not as if every single Gamespy game is going away, so you don't even have your facts straight. Some are being migrated elsewhere. Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV are supposedly not going to be effected, there are numerous games that will be migrated elsewhere without the customer really knowing. Yet Nintendo apparantly throws up their hands, and lets their ENTIRE SYSTEM go offline without a solution. I get that they aren't going to migrate every last game, and it's not up to them to find solutions for 3rd party games on Wii platform. But they should at least have done something for MarioKart, Smash, and whatever other key games people actually still played on Wii.

I don't have a dog in this fight, since I haven't turned a Wii on at all since like 2010 (let alone go online with it). I just think it's pretty weak of Nintendo, this is just another black mark against them IMO.

louisfoxton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 louisfoxton
Member since 2007 • 1400 Posts

Its because Gamespy severs has been bought by someother company and all the Nintendo Wifi connection games were on gamespy severs Mortal Kombat 9 sever are getting shut down too because of the same reason

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 2Chalupas
@louisfoxton said:

Its because Gamespy severs has been bought by someother company and all the Nintendo Wifi connection games were on gamespy severs Mortal Kombat 9 sever are getting shut down too because of the same reason

Wrong. Mortal Kombat 9 will live.

@charizard1605 said:

Blame Gamespy, not Nintendo.

Blame Nintendo for relying 100% in Gamespy,and having no contingencies.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

Can't say i'll miss it but I did enjoy popping in for the occasional Goldeneye 007 deathmatch.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

It doesn't really affect me now but I did have an amazing time back in the day playing online in Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros Brawl for the Wii. Those were some good times...

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Gamespy Hosted servers end today too.

R.I.P. Battlefront 2. :(

and Battlefront 2 will live on I see :D

oh but Nintendo's online games. :(