Nintendo Announces Pre-Loading Coming to Wii U and 3DS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

we will be implementing what we call a “pre-download” system with “Super Smash Bros. for Wii U” that will be released at the end of this year.

The “pre-download” system is a system in which consumers who have purchased the game before its release can download most of the game content in advance. Using this system, consumers will not have to wait for a long time to download the game after its release. They will then be able to start playing the game by only downloading a requisite minimum amount of update data.

In addition to the automatic distribution system at the time of purchase, which I have just explained, the “pre-download” system will be available with download cards sold at stores as well, by entering the download code at Nintendo e-Shop in advance. Consumers will not be required to save the download card until the release of the game if they enter the download code on the day of purchase.

This system will be implemented on Wii U first, and is planned for Nintendo 3DS next year.

So now, every single system on the market has it! Personally, I'm surprised Nintendo did this- I wouldn't have thought this would be on their list of priorities until next generation.

I'm also a little baffled that they did this before opening up account management to end users.

SOURCE

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

What year does nintendo live in?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@lostrib said:

Simultaneously in 1995 and 2025. Some things they do are very progressive (like their approach to E3). Most things they do are backwards as **** (everything else).

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

Welcomed addition for 3DS because I want to visit that poorly designed store as little as possible.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Ghost120x said:

Welcomed addition for 3DS because I want to visit that poorly designed store as little as possible.

It's surprising how wrong they got the eShop design on 3DS, while getting it so right on the Wii U.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Preloading makes a ton of sense. It distributes server loads over a longer period of time so the chances of having a lot of issues on launch are decreased. You don't want 500k requests for downloading your file at the same exact time. That's a recipe for disaster.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

huh. I wonder how long it will be before we'll be able to install discs to our external HDDs so we won't have to burn out the disc drive. Its a good start Nintendo.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

Cool that the 3DS is getting it too. I'm wondering if they'll launch it alongside a high profile 3DS game like they are with Wii U.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@Kaze_no_Mirai said:

Cool that the 3DS is getting it too. I'm wondering if they'll launch it alongside a high profile 3DS game like they are with Wii U.

It would be a good move to launch this with Xenoblade Chronicles on New 3DS.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

@bunchanumbers: I could see that. Or maybe even software that includes all 3DS/2DS software. Something like MH4U.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

They had to do this. No doubt they wanted to avoid issues on release day.

Now all they need to do is cross-buy for VC games.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#12 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

Good job Ninety

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45108 Posts

What's next? 3rd party support?

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Good job Reggie!

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

It's about time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Will be nice for my 3DS. I've gone mostly digital with that.

I'll still buy physical copies of Wii U games.

ZombeGoast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ZombeGoast
Member since 2010 • 437 Posts

@lostrib said:

The year where their service works unlike Sony's

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Ghost120x said:

It's surprising how wrong they got the eShop design on 3DS, while getting it so right on the Wii U.

I dislike the ads they push to the Gamepad. I know why they do it, but it still sucks.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45108 Posts

@ZombeGoast said:

@lostrib said:

The year where their service works unlike Sony's

you must have pretty bad short term memory cause the Wii U services sucked when it came out. it took them a good 2 years to even get to this point.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#20 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@Heil68 said:

I dislike the ads they push to the Gamepad. I know why they do it, but it still sucks.

I think it's fine. Though I hardly get them now since I visit the eShop regularly.

As for this, maybe we're one step away from getting our Nintendo Accounts untied to a single system.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Heil68

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Heil68 said:

I think it's fine. Though I hardly get them now since I visit the eShop regularly.

As for this, maybe we're one step away from getting our Nintendo Accounts untied to a single system.

I can see your point, but as for me I never go to the Eshop and find the ads distracting for what I want from the device.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52427 Posts

There's ads on the gamepad?

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LegatoSkyheart

@Heil68: At least it's just a minor pop up on the Gamepad and not TV Commercials on the System's UI.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Too bad I can't support E-shop until they change some Nintendo Network policies to compete with the big boys (Steam, PSN, XBLA, etc). Untie the Nintendo Network IDs. Let me use my Nintendo Network ID on my second Wii U. Not that I care for DD games over physical, but I'm all for nabbing the few good DD-only titles that could end up Wii U exclusive.

As it stands, I'll buy those DD-only titles anywhere else, and that's on Nintendo. I would love to support them, but they don't care, so I don't care. Millions of others are in the same boat.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SolidTy
@Heil68 said:

@LegatoSkyheart said:

@Heil68 said:

I can see your point, but as for me I never go to the Eshop and find the ads distracting for what I want from the device.

Yes, it's annoying and a bit creepy. My Pad just turns on and is advertising while the Wii U is supposed to be off.

@freedomfreak said:

There's ads on the gamepad?

Yes, they come on when the pad is sitting there. It's so strange. You are watching TV or playing Xbone/PS3/PS4/Wii/360 or whatever and the gamepad turns on telling you to buy a game or whatever.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 freedomfreak
@SolidTy said:

Yes, they come on when the pad is sitting there. It's so strange. You are watching TV or playing Xbone/PS3/PS4/Wii/360 or whatever and the gamepad turns on telling you to buy a game or whatever.

Weird. I never knew that could happen.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SolidTy

@freedomfreak said:
@SolidTy said:

Yeah, it freaked me out a few months ago. I told some people in SW and at the time it was so new, it was denied. I was actually surprised today to see someone else finally speak up about it and now there is a more general agreement that it happens. I was watching a Blu-Ray movie with my lady and the thing turned on telling me to buy Mario Kart 8, lol.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@Heil68@SolidTy You guys could always just disable alerts in your options menu. That will stop the ads.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

I love pre-loading, about time!

@SolidTy said:

For reals? This is creepy as feck.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By freedomfreak
@SolidTy said:

Yeah, it freaked me out a few months ago. I told some people in SW and at the time it was so new, it was denied. I was actually surprised today to see someone else finally speak up about it and now there is a more general agreement that it happens. I was watching a Blu-Ray movie with my lady and the thing turned on telling me to buy Mario Kart 8, lol.

It's how those bastards reel you in. Can't even watch a movie in peace anymore!

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LegatoSkyheart

@freedomfreak said:
@SolidTy said:

I think it stops if you visit the eshop frequently, but I've seen it come up a couple of times (especially when I'm asleep) Showing that "NEW DLC FOR MARIO KART 8" or "HYRULE SALE" or "SMASH SALE!"

It is a bugger, but I don't mind it. It shows that Nintendo is taking Digital seriously. and the content is about the games in the eShop rather than Xbox 360's WORLD OF WARCRAFT MOUNTAIN DEW commercials. WoW isn't even on Xbox.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By freedomfreak
@LegatoSkyheart said:

I think it stops if you visit the eshop frequently, but I've seen it come up a couple of times (especially when I'm asleep) Showing that "NEW DLC FOR MARIO KART 8" or "HYRULE SALE" or "SMASH SALE!"

It is a bugger, but I don't mind it. It shows that Nintendo is taking Digital seriously. and the content is about the games in the eShop rather than Xbox 360's WORLD OF WARCRAFT MOUNTAIN DEW commercials. WoW isn't even on Xbox.

WoW ads on Xbox? Haha, man, crazy microsoft people. Not even advertising the right games.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SolidTy
@blue_hazy_basic said:

I love pre-loading, about time!

@SolidTy said:

For reals? This is creepy as feck.

It really is, lol. It just turns on by itself and tells you to buy something.

@freedomfreak said:
@SolidTy said:

It's how those bastards reel you in. Can't even watch a movie in peace anymore!

Those bastards! :) I like to imagine Reggie and Satoru Iwata alternate pushing a big red button with glee and those gamepads ads activate, turning on inactive pads across the world.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By freedomfreak
@SolidTy said:

Those bastards! :) I like to imagine Reggie and Satoru Iwata alternate pushing a big red button with glee and those gamepads ads activate, turning on inactive pads across the world.

You know they do.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By SolidTy

@freedomfreak said:
@SolidTy said:

You know they do.

Haha, awesome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

You guys know you can just turn the ads off, right? Or that when you updated the firmware to 5.00, you actually had to opt into them in the first place?bthat you were even allowed to set the extent to which advertisements would appear on your Gamepad (screen turning on, notification light going on, jingle going off, and so on). You probably just hit yes on every popup that came up during the update without actually reading what the system was telling you. Lol.

Well, no problems. Just go to Settings and opt back out. Nintendo is good that way, they don't force ads on you.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Heil68

@charizard1605 said:

You guys know you can just turn the ads off, right? Or that when you updated the firmware to 5.00, you actually had to opt into them in the first place?bthat you were even allowed to set the extent to which advertisements would appear on your Gamepad (screen turning on, notification light going on, jingle going off, and so on). You probably just hit yes on every popup that came up during the update without actually reading what the system was telling you. Lol.

Well, no problems. Just go to Settijgs and opt back out. Nintendo is good that way, they don't force ads on you.

I'll opt out of those fuckers tonight.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605 said:

Well, no problems. Just go to Settijgs and opt back out. Nintendo is good that way, they don't force ads on you.

I'll opt out of those fuckers tonight.

Haha, alright. Yeah, it can be creepy when you walk into your living room and your Gamepad is just sitting there... staring at you. On.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@lostrib said:

murat8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 murat8
Member since 2006 • 10362 Posts

Are WiiU digital games bound to an account right now? I'm still scared to buy digital, ill stick to physical till they are bound to my account.