Nintendo aiming to catch up to Xbox One sales in the next fiscal year? Aiming to go up 30 million

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

Link

TOKYO— Nintendo Co. NTDOY -2.38% plans to pick up the production pace for its hit Switch game console next year, people with direct knowledge of the matter said, showing the company’s deepening confidence in the success of the device.

The Kyoto-based company is sketching out a plan to make 25 million to 30 million units of the Switch in its next fiscal year, which begins April 2018, and has begun informing business partners about it, the people said. They said the plan is still in its early stages and Nintendo could aim higher depending on sales during this year’s holiday season.

The Switch went on sale globally on March 3, 2017. Between that date and Sept. 30, Nintendo said it sold 7.63 million units. The company said at its quarterly earnings announcement in October that it planned to sell an additional 9.1 million units by March 2018, meaning total sales by that date would reach nearly 17 million.

Expectations for the Switch were low ahead of the launch because of its $300 price and what analysts saw as the product’s uneasy positioning between smartphones, which are more portable, and rival game machines such as Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 4, which are more powerful.

However, consumers have been drawn to the product’s hybrid nature—it can be used both as a living-room console and as a portable hand-held machine. A Nintendo survey of Switch owners found they viewed the device more as a hand-held than a console, opening room for it to become a one-per-person item rather than one-per-household. Suppliers said an AC adapter is one of the best-selling Switch accessories, suggesting people are using it in their bedrooms.

Some people in the industry say the Switch could surpass the original Wii, which set the record for Nintendo’s best-selling console with more than 101.6 million shipped. Nomura Securities analyst Junko Yamamura forecast cumulative sales of 115.8 million units by March 2023.

At the earnings announcement, Nintendo Chief Executive Tatsumi Kimishima predicted demand would keep growing even after the holidays and said assemblers working on Nintendo’s behalf have added work lines to make more Switch units. Such a step by assemblers usually requires a commitment by the buyer to keep purchasing the product for a certain period because the assemblers need to hire and train new workers.

Any aggressive boost in production carries the risk that sales fall short of expectations, leaving the company with excess inventory.

Ace Research Institute analyst Hideki Yasuda said software sales data so far suggest casual gamers haven’t been buying the Switch in big numbers, leaving room for further growth since Nintendo has traditionally been strong at attracting such customers. Nintendo’s Mr. Kimishima said the company would release more games for casual users next year.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Pfft, I like this cocky new Nintnendo throwing shade on the Bone.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

That shouldn't be a problem, I mean XBONE been selling like crap

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FireEmblem_Man

@Ant_17: they should start throwing shots at Sony

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9729 Posts

I think the Switch will sell around 40 million in total lifetime sales.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

The switch can catch up to the PS4

This holday season will be massive for Nintendo

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Nintendo's key will have to be Pokemon. A true console Pokemon experience, with all the advantages of the portability is really the only way to go here. That will move consoles like crazy.

Now give me Smash 5 and Metroid Prime 4 Nintendo.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts
@sonic_spark said:

Nintendo's key will have to be Pokemon. A true console Pokemon experience, with all the advantages of the portability is really the only way to go here. That will move consoles like crazy.

Pokemon on the switch will be amazing, especially if you can play with your friends right then and there.

I'll def need a Switch by then.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@sonic_spark said:

Have Nintendo made any statements on evolving its other franchises? Like Breath of the Wild , and to a lesser extent odysee?

I feel many of the limited Handheld games will need a big shake-up to feel like proper console games... if Pokemon sticks to the same, top down small world malarky.. I would be disapointed.

Same with Fire Emblem... Fire Emblem needs to evolve badly... great universe and characters, but the gameplay is just so far behind in its genre now.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FireEmblem_Man

@GameboyTroy said:

Really? How? Oh right... The "Switch Tax" that no one cares about when Pokemon comes out.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

I don't think Switch is going to have any years over 20 million, but I am predicting an average of around 10-15 million per year after this 17 million in the first 13 months (so 62-85 million total), but 25-30 million in a year isn't happening unless Nintendo drops the price to $200 (and equivalents) around the Pokemon launch next year, but they would opnly do that if sales were bad so...

@GameboyTroy said:

This however is just silly. I can't believe how salty you are lol. It's going to be at well over 10 million by the end of the year. If they hit their target for March sales would need to drop to 4.5 million in year two and beyond. Going from better than 3DS to a bit better than Wii U? lolno

Edit: My math was a bit off and I guess it would be more like 5-6 million per year, but that would still be an unprecedented collapse in popularity. Nothing like that has ever happened. Switch will be well over 40 million by the end of 2019. Mark my words. If I'm wrong, I'll hold a giveaway for a PS5.

lexxluger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By lexxluger
Member since 2017 • 599 Posts

But the Switch is an under-powered potato compared to all current gen platforms not to mention the newest mid-gen upgrades, how are those sales predictions even possible?

They can't promote that thing to be the best hardware on the market, and all they have are some high profile IP's so what gives?

Are you trying to tell us all Exclusives games actually matter? And Exclusives sale consoles?

That's not what I been told on this forum...

You better not tell xbox fans or MS that. All I've been hearing is specs and "4k" multiplats are all you need to sell systems, you might cause nuclear melt down with this trail blazing NEW revelation you've just given us.

Exclusive games selling systems?...wow man what a bold concept!

El oh El

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

Nintendo and it’s fanbase are insanely delusional.

This is the same company that claimed Wii U would sell more than the Wii! LOL

The switch is going to bomb in sales once the last couple Nintendo fanboys get their hands on one.

I hope Nintendo makes 30 Million of these things because they are going to end up being buried beside E.T in Mexico! LOL

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FireEmblem_Man

@stuff238 said:

The switch is going to bomb in sales once the last couple Nintendo fanboys get their hands on one.

I hope Nintendo makes 30 Million of these things because they are going to end up being buried beside E.T in Mexico! LOL

First of all, ET was buried in New Mexico, get it right! Secondly, you're completely delusional to think history will repeat itself. Switch is a new product that is away from the Wii brand that doesn't have a confusing marketing campaign or message. If, the switch is bombing, how come they beat the PS4 3times in a row already?

Beat128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Beat128
Member since 2005 • 148 Posts

If nintendo switch doesnt selll more than 39,999,999 units lifetime ill eat my Xbox one and PS4 anyone have any good recipes but doubt have to eat those systems though

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Switch will easily pass Xbone sales. It won't come close to PS4 though.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FireEmblem_Man

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Switch sales will slow Sony's momentum

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@FLOPPAGE_50 said:

The switch can catch up to the PS4

This holday season will be massive for Nintendo

LOL nice sarcasm there.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#19 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

Link

TOKYO— Nintendo Co. NTDOY -2.38% plans to pick up the production pace for its hit Switch game console next year, people with direct knowledge of the matter said, showing the company’s deepening confidence in the success of the device.

The Kyoto-based company is sketching out a plan to make 25 million to 30 million units of the Switch in its next fiscal year, which begins April 2018, and has begun informing business partners about it, the people said. They said the plan is still in its early stages and Nintendo could aim higher depending on sales during this year’s holiday season.

The Switch went on sale globally on March 3, 2017. Between that date and Sept. 30, Nintendo said it sold 7.63 million units. The company said at its quarterly earnings announcement in October that it planned to sell an additional 9.1 million units by March 2018, meaning total sales by that date would reach nearly 17 million.

Expectations for the Switch were low ahead of the launch because of its $300 price and what analysts saw as the product’s uneasy positioning between smartphones, which are more portable, and rival game machines such as Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 4, which are more powerful.

However, consumers have been drawn to the product’s hybrid nature—it can be used both as a living-room console and as a portable hand-held machine. A Nintendo survey of Switch owners found they viewed the device more as a hand-held than a console, opening room for it to become a one-per-person item rather than one-per-household. Suppliers said an AC adapter is one of the best-selling Switch accessories, suggesting people are using it in their bedrooms.

Some people in the industry say the Switch could surpass the original Wii, which set the record for Nintendo’s best-selling console with more than 101.6 million shipped. Nomura Securities analyst Junko Yamamura forecast cumulative sales of 115.8 million units by March 2023.

At the earnings announcement, Nintendo Chief Executive Tatsumi Kimishima predicted demand would keep growing even after the holidays and said assemblers working on Nintendo’s behalf have added work lines to make more Switch units. Such a step by assemblers usually requires a commitment by the buyer to keep purchasing the product for a certain period because the assemblers need to hire and train new workers.

Any aggressive boost in production carries the risk that sales fall short of expectations, leaving the company with excess inventory.

Ace Research Institute analyst Hideki Yasuda said software sales data so far suggest casual gamers haven’t been buying the Switch in big numbers, leaving room for further growth since Nintendo has traditionally been strong at attracting such customers. Nintendo’s Mr. Kimishima said the company would release more games for casual users next year.

Brave move by Nintendo.

If they aim to reach that goal they sure need to bring out a lot more games. Since they will soon reach the limit of people wanting it for nothing more than wanting the hardware and 3rd party developers won´t keep sticking by it if the software sales does not get a lot higher.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Techhog89

@stuff238 said:

When will the bomb happen? And what will the final sales total be?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

They could probably release one more Zelda/Odyssey class game and ride that high to the end of the gen... That's how good Nintendo is actually playing this ATM. After the WiiU... That's f*cking shocking.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FireEmblem_Man

@lundy86_4 said:

They could probably release one more Zelda/Odyssey class game and ride that high to the end of the gen... That's how good Nintendo is actually playing this ATM. After the WiiU... That's f*cking shocking.

Apparently the rumor plot for Fire Emblem Switch would involve a war between humans and vampires, fighting for the Fire Emblem which is a sun dial. It would be a Gothic setting, but I'll take it with a grain of salt.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56095 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Switch sales will slow Sony's momentum

PS4 has been out for 4 years now, everyone just about already own PS4 so hey, it's expected to see sales die down and I don't see Switch slowing Sony when PS4 already somewhat met it's expectations.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

@NathanDrakeSwag said:

Lifetime? I dunno man. They've championed integrating their handheld/console market without largely cannibalizing one over the other.

Then again, Sony have done fucking wonders with the PS4.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man said:

@Ant_17: they should start throwing shots at Sony

Maybe beat the Bone 1st before that epic battle.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: Mexico and New Mexico are the exact same thing. Seriously bro. You are worse than a grammar Nazi. You are a geography Nazi LOL

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

@stuff238 said:

@FireEmblem_Man: Mexico and New Mexico are the exact same thing. Seriously bro. You are worse than a grammar Nazi. You are a geography Nazi LOL

Maybe you should check a map. LOL!

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@stuff238 said:

no, they aren't.

I was born in New Mexico, in the US of A. When I moved across the country, some clowns were like "wow, you speak English so well". Don't be one of those clowns

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FireEmblem_Man

@xantufrog: Can I report him for calling me a nazi?

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: I don't think you'll get much traction on that, since "grammar nazi" is a common turn of phrase that doesn't mean he's asserting you want to eradicate minorities. But feel free to discuss with the mod team via pm

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Techhog89

@stuff238 said:

Oh no. It's retarded.