Nintendo after Banjo-Kazooie?

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TransformerRobo
TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TransformerRobo
Member since 2011 • 549 Posts

http://n4g.com/news/1042154/rumor-nintendo-attempting-to-negotiate-its-way-into-ownership-of-banjo-and-kazooie

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

I hope so because I think it would do Banjo-Kazooie justice.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

I would love to see Nintendo it. It's the only chance we have of ever seeing the game again.

Edit: I don't think it will happen, but the source from that states Nintendo buying back Rare altogeter. After what MS has done to them it should be a bargin basement price. God I would love to see this.

platniumgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 platniumgamer
Member since 2011 • 3960 Posts

banjo-kazooie on the xbox is amazing.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts
OLD.
deu5ka175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deu5ka175
Member since 2012 • 434 Posts

Old news. They might as well. Microsoft is not gonna do nothing with it. This also shows what I have been saying for years. Nintendo has no more ideas.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

old...that was 2 months ago...and still no banjo :(

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TransformerRobo

We could start a petition if the rumor wasn't true.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I doubt this is real, but whatever. Although:

Microsoft buys Rare for almost half a billion dollars. Rare is at the top of their game and considered the unchallenged, best dev in the world.

Microsoft destroys Rare because they are clueless and won't approve any of their games. They leave only Kinect and Avatar developers. Everyone abandons ship.

Nintendo buys Rare for pennies and essentially does what they did to Retro. Nintendo comes out of the deal with Microsoft essentially paying them half a billion dollars for no reason and all they have to do is clean up work on Rare (something they have proven great at).

It's been Nintendo's plan all along. They saw how easily you can rebuild a studio with Retro and knew that, eventually, this all would happen. Smart move Nintendo. Smart move.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 TransformerRobo

Microsoft buys Rare for almost half a billion dollars. Rare is at the top of their game and considered the unchallenged, best dev in the world.

Microsoft destroys Rare because they are clueless and won't approve any of their games. They leave only Kinect and Avatar developers. Everyone abandons ship.

Nintendo buys Rare for pennies and essentially does what they did to Retro. Nintendo comes out of the deal with Microsoft essentially paying them half a billion dollars for no reason and all they have to do is clean up work on Rare (something they have proven great at).

It's been Nintendo's plan all along. They saw how easily you can rebuild a studio with Retro and knew that, eventually, this all would happen. Smart move Nintendo. Smart move.

AmayaPapaya

What more do you have to support this theory?

4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 4dr1el
Member since 2012 • 2380 Posts

AmayaPapaya

Rare was considered "the best dev in the world"? When? Did I miss something? One of the best? Maybe and thats already pushing it. "UNCHALLENGED best dev in the world"? lol

Shirokishi_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Shirokishi_
Member since 2009 • 11206 Posts

Unless they wont to overhaul the game I dont care. Banjo was alright for the time but now I realize all you do in that game is collect crap.

caryslan2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 caryslan2
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

Old news. They might as well. Microsoft is not gonna do nothing with it. This also shows what I have been saying for years. Nintendo has no more ideas.

deu5ka175

So Nintendo decides they want to buy an IP, and they suddenly out of ideas? Maybe they want the rights so they can finally add the games to the Virtual Console? Maybe they want the rights so they can add Banjo and Kazooie to Smash Brothers? And even if Nintendo wants to make a new Banjo game(that is closer to the roots of the series), that does not mean that they are out of ideas.

Honestly, will people let this stupid mindset go. Nintendo has done several new IPs this generation, and not all of them have been casual stuff. They want the rights back to one of the most notable Nintendo 64 franchises that were on the system. For long-time Nintendo fans, it makes sense to get back the rights to Banjo-Kazooie. As an example, the hype would explode if those two were announced for SSB4.

What suprises me is that they aren't trying to get the rights to Killer Instinct, Conker, or the other older IPs that Rare had. Microsoft is doing nothing with most of those games, and Nintendo can't take advantage because they don't have the rights. At this point, Nintendo might as well offer Microsoft a chance to sell those IPs to them. It might be the only way those games get another chance to be nothing more then oldmemories.

AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

4dr1el

Rare was considered "the best dev in the world"? When? Did I miss something? One of the best? Maybe and thats already pushing it. "UNCHALLENGED best dev in the world"? lol

The whole thing was meant to be taken unseriously :P But to call them, at one time, the unchallenged, best dev in the world wouldn't be far off. They made like five AAA game in the span a gen, one of them being the Halo of it's time. Yeah, no one else did that. No one else was even close.

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Maybe Retro can bring it back to prominence like it did with Donkey Kong. Rare is only a name now. Might as well give their amazing IPs to developers that would do them justice.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Retro is dead. The company theyd buy is nothing more than a shadow of its former self
AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AHUGECAT
Member since 2006 • 8967 Posts

Won't happen - the "source" doesn't seem reliable (more like fanboy wishing).

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#19 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41594 Posts

Retro is dead. The company theyd buy is nothing more than a shadow of its former selfCapitan_Kid
I'm sorry, what? Retro hasn't thrown out much. How can they be "dead" in your meaning when they've hardly released much in their history, all to be praised by critics and gamers alike? We only had three Metroid games, a Donkey Kong game, a co-op on Mario Kart 7 and... that's it. Too early to be calling Retro Studios dead.

C-Lee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 C-Lee
Member since 2008 • 5838 Posts
If this happened, I'd go back to gaming.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#21 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

I think anything Nintendo could do with Banjo Kazooie they could do with Mario (or better yet, a whole new IP) just as well.

They would never be able to replicate Rare's sense of humor.

That said, feeding on the Old Rare nostalgia has worked out for them a couple times now, so I'm sure a Banjo platformer makes a lot of business sense.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
as much as it would be cool to have rares ips in nintendos hands... i dont see microsoft letting them go.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#23 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
I doubt it.
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#24 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Also, if Retro is making a Banjo game as the story claims, I would much rather see that game come out with totally different characters plugged in where the Banjo ones were supposed to be, a la Star Fox Adventures. It would be so much more interesting that way, seeing where all the Banjo stuff was surgically removed.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]Retro is dead. The company theyd buy is nothing more than a shadow of its former selfnintendoboy16

I'm sorry, what? Retro hasn't thrown out much. How can they be "dead" in your meaning when they've hardly released much in their history, all to be praised by critics and gamers alike? We only had three Metroid games, a Donkey Kong game, a co-op on Mario Kart 7 and... that's it. Too early to be calling Retro Studios dead.

Whoops. Meant to say RARE.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

Never understood the appeal of Banjo, always just seemed like a blatant mario64 ripoff with puzzle pieces or whatever instead of stars.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Please, for the love of God, TC, don't link to N4G.

On topic, I don't care. That series really isn't relevant anymore.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Also, if Retro is making a Banjo game as the story claims, I would much rather see that game come out with totally different characters plugged in where the Banjo ones were supposed to be, a la Star Fox Adventures. It would be so much more interesting that way, seeing where all the Banjo stuff was surgically removed.

Cherokee_Jack
I seriously doubt Nintendo would have one of their key studios working on a game that they might not be able to publish.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

DarkLink77

And what is relevant today, according to you?

2D platformers like Rayman Origins and NSMB which we played in the late 80s/early 90s? ;)

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="Cherokee_Jack"]

DarkLink77

I seriously doubt Nintendo would have one of their key studios working on a game that they might not be able to publish.

The reason the rumor Nintendo was purchasing the Banjo Kazooie IP was because Retro is probably working on a game and somebody said hey this would make a great Banjo Kazooie title but they don't have the rights so they were trying to get the rights so it could be made into a Banjo Kazooie title.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#31 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It would be neat if Nintendo gets Banjo Kazooie. Then we can see a REAL Banjo Kazooie game be made with possibly Super Mario Galaxy 2 level Platforming.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44313 Posts

Old and I mean, who wouldn't want the rights to make another sequel to the finest 3D platformer franchise on earth ? :o

Oh yeah, that's right, apparently MS, that's who !! :cry:

Unless Banjo Threeie is launching with the next X. :D

Bruce_Benzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Bruce_Benzing
Member since 2012 • 1731 Posts

[QUOTE="4dr1el"]

[QUOTE="AmayaPapaya"]

AmayaPapaya

The whole thing was meant to be taken unseriously :P But to call them, at one time, the unchallenged, best dev in the world wouldn't be far off. They made like five AAA game in the span a gen, one of them being the Halo of it's time. Yeah, no one else did that. No one else was even close.

They did most of it with their original founders The Stamper Brothers. I believe it was Chris Stamper that discovered how to do Split Screen on the NES and later discovered how to get the most out of the SNES Mode 7 practically inventing rendering graphics. The Rare now is just a pale imitation of what it once was....

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#34 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

Nintendo should just buy up all of Rare's titles, it's not like they are doing anything. MS just killed them and has no interest in developing new exclusives with their titles because 360 exclusives do not sell very well, which is ironic considering it's really the Lems that don't buy their exclusives aside from a small few titles.

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
OLD. senses_fail_06

banjo-kazooie on the xbox is amazing.

platniumgamer
deu5ka175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deu5ka175
Member since 2012 • 434 Posts

Nintendo should just buy up all of Rare's titles, it's not like they are doing anything. MS just killed them and has no interest in developing new exclusives with their titles because 360 exclusives do not sell very well, which is ironic considering it's really the Lems that don't buy their exclusives aside from a small few titles.

ShadowMoses900
Do you ever shut up with your butthurt? We have all seen your PSN gamer card. You don't buy exclusives either. Hell I had more than you did on my PS3 and 360.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
Regardless of who does it, I really wanna see another Banjo Kazooie game.
GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts

Old and I mean, who wouldn't want the rights to make another sequel to the finest 3D platformer franchise on earth ? :o

Oh yeah, that's right, apparently MS, that's who !! :cry:

Unless Banjo Threeie is launching with the next X. :D

SecretPolice

A new, harcore Banjo game launching with the next xbox would be awesome. It would go a long way toward redeeming MS from all the Kinect focus recently (and them generally destroying Rare in the first place).

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts

ShadowMoses900
Well, if Star Fox Adventures was any indication, Rare was already starting to go down. Nintendo must of saw this which was the reason they didn't try and hold on to them.
Avatar image for 205212669269561485377169522720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#40 205212669269561485377169522720
Member since 2005 • 14458 Posts

DarkLink77

Nailed it right there.

They could reboot it, but then everyone and their mums would b!*ch and moan because its "different". Might as well leave it dead at the end of the day if people will complain for eternity.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#41 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Nintendo should just buy up all of Rare's titles

ShadowMoses900

This I agree with.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
deactivated-5d7fb49ded561

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5d7fb49ded561
Member since 2010 • 4019 Posts

I hope so Banjo & Kazooie on the N64 was great back in the day, Microsoft ruined it

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowMoses900"]

LittleMac19

Well, if Star Fox Adventures was any indication, Rare was already starting to go down. Nintendo must of saw this which was the reason they didn't try and hold on to them.

Technically Nintendo still wanted Rare; Nintendo had first dibs but other companies were allowed to make offers; For Nintendo to keep Rare Nintendo had to match the offer the other companies were making. Microsoft offered too much money for Nintendo to match.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13672 Posts

What a load of rubbish, firstly Nintendo are too proud, they have always been too proud. Secondly no ones going to start expensive development on a game when they don't have the rights. That's a waste of money.

Thirdly I love the double standards. If they do have Retro Studios making a game, it's obvious they just want RARE for the intellectual rights to the games, they don't want to revive them. Even if they haven't got a game in development, it's unlikely they want RARE for anything else. Nintendo has studios that would do a far better job on RAREs own games then RARE would at this point. That's closer to disbanding them than Microsoft.

PopeReal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PopeReal
Member since 2005 • 1303 Posts

Oh please let this rumor be true. I have started playing Banjo Kazooie again and will tackle Banjo Tooie after I beat it. Love those games and Nintendo could do the series justice since Rare isn't really Rare anymore.

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

Nintendoes what Micro$oftdon't.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13672 Posts

AmayaPapaya

Ohh wow, Nintendo are bringing back the Stamper brothers, the guys from Free Radical and the s**t loads of others who have left that were the ones that made RARE what they were.

Nintendo didn't sell them at the top of their game, they aren't that stupid. Nintendo stepped off a sinking ship and laughed their rich a$$ off at MS for being stupid enough to buy them.

TransformerRobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TransformerRobo

I know some of you think all you ever did in Banjo-Kazooie was collect things, but that's an exaggeration. Have you forgotten that in every game you had to fight enemies and bosses, as well as learn new moves?

Really it wasn't as linear as you think.

bobbetybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 bobbetybob
Member since 2005 • 19370 Posts
Imagine Retro making a new Banjo Kazooie, ooooh man I can picture it now.