Nintendo acquires Luigi's Mansion 3 developer, Next Level Games!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45103 Posts

https://www.destructoid.com/stories/nintendo-acquires-luigi-s-mansion-3-developer-next-level-games-615756.phtml

Nintendo has announced that it has purchased Next Level Games, acquiring 100% of its outstanding shares in order to transition the Canadian outfit into a full first-party studio.

"NLG’s shares are currently held entirely by its owner-directors and employees," reads an official document concerning the purchase. "A number of owner-directors recently determined that the time is right for them to sell their shares, and NLG therefore began exploring potential sale transactions. Completion of the Acquisition will serve to secure the availability of NLG development resources for Nintendo, including development expertise, as well as facilitate an anticipated improvement in development speed and quality by enabling closer communication and exchange of staff with the Nintendo development team."

The purchase is a no-brainer, given that Next Level has been responsible for a slew of popular Nintendo titles including Wii Punch-Out!!, the Super Mario Strikers titles, Metroid Prime: Federation Force for 3DS, and most recently Luigi's Mansion 3 for Nintendo Switch.

According to the purchase details, the acquisition is expected to close on March 1, 2021.

Sweet news. Have you played Luigi's Mansion 3, SW? Excited by this news? LM3 was a pretty good game. A bit bloated, but still fun. I wonder what their next project will be 😮

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Damn, had no idea the game wasn't in-house.

Heard it's pretty good, haven't got around to it.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#3  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Metroid Prime: Federation Force. Urgh. At least Luigi's Mansion 2 and 3 are decent.

Anyway, good on them. Looking at their track record, they seemed to be a contractor studio, taking whatever jobs came their way, until Nintendo found them. This acquisition therefore secures their future, so I'm happy for them.

As for their next project, whatever it may be, it is bound to be solid but unambitious at best. Nintendo like to keep the big ones (Mario, Zelda, etc.) closer to home.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic

I find it interesting that Luigi's Mansion is made off-shore. maybe it's made primarily for the North American market. Luigi's Mansion 3 managed to sell 8 million units, so they have a winner lol.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Were they also the ones that made Luigi's Mansion 2?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By R4gn4r0k
@SolidGame_basic said:

I find it interesting that Luigi's Mansion is made off-shore. maybe it's made primarily for the North American market. Luigi's Mansion 3 managed to sell 8 million units, so they have a winner lol.

Luigi's Mansion 3 was one of the top sellers of 2020, yet hardly talked about. Not in the same way as say Avengers or TLOU II were, which if my facts are right, sold less.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidGame_basic

@R4gn4r0k said:

Were they also the ones that made Luigi's Mansion 2?

Yes, they did Luigi's Mansion 2, which was a 3DS game, Dark Moon!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 R4gn4r0k

@SolidGame_basic said:

Loved both Luigi's Mansion 1&2 but haven't played the third one yet, did you have a chance to check it out?

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I recently played that this last Halloween with the kids. Honestly thought Nintendo made it.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SolidGame_basic

@R4gn4r0k said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Loved both Luigi's Mansion 1&2 but haven't played the third one yet, did you have a chance to check it out?

Yep, it was a good, but they packed it with a bit more filler to do. The original game was around 5 hours I think, this one is like 15-20 hours, and that's not counting co-op. You should get it to do co-op with your bro!

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#11 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

I know needs more studios, but eh... I don't know. I'm just as iffy about this as MS' Bethesda buyout.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 madrocketeer

@nintendoboy16:

I don't think the two acquisitions are comparable. Bethesda was a megaton buy for Game Pass stuffing to compete in the streaming wars. This one, I feel, is a more traditional "you did good work for me so I'm going to secure your future" deal.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By nintendoboy16

@madrocketeer said:

@nintendoboy16:

I don't think the two acquisitions are comparable. Bethesda was a megaton buy for Game Pass stuffing to compete in the streaming wars. This one, I feel, is a more traditional "you did good work for me so I'm going to secure your future" deal.

They are both what's wrong with Big Tech or Big Entertainment Industry (where, for that matter, Sony's buyout of Funimation and Crunchroll applies, and don't get us started on Disney's frequent buyouts, where the only good thing I can say about are Marvel characters being back together, but besides that...).

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By madrocketeer

@nintendoboy16:

Yeah, it's true consolidation makes bloated monsters and stifle competition. I just don't think this particular acquisition is as disruptive as any of the other ones you've listed. It's just a small studio doing mid-budget games with no IP of their own.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

I dont thin kthis will change much. Their last 3 games were already published by Nintendo.

As long as they get to keep their corporate culture. It's all good.

@R4gn4r0k said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Yup, it is arguably the best one yet.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SolidGame_basic

@madrocketeer said:

@nintendoboy16:

Yeah, it's true consolidation makes bloated monsters and stifle competition. I just don't think this particular acquisition is as disruptive as any of the other ones you've just listed. It's just a small studio doing mid-budget games with no IP of their own.

Yea, to me, Bethesda didn't really need to be acquired, but I guess they saw it to their benefit because of the amount of money involved. With a company like Next Level Games, it seems like they've been working with Nintendo for a while and it made them a natural fit.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

Congrats to them. Luigi’s mansion 3 is an excellent game. Had a lot of fun playing it. Look forward to their next game.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By madrocketeer

@SolidGame_basic:

I dunno about that. With the ridiculous Fallout 76 saga and the way they're doing that Ubisoft thing of shoving microtransactions into single player games, some people (SkillUp among them) have been speculating that Bethesda might be a bit strapped for cash. From what I've seen, every game after 2016 (Doom 2016 and Dishonored 2) have been sales disappointments, and their entire 2020 practically rested on Doom Eternal. It is therefore possible.

I don't think they were in any danger of going under, mind, just that they looked like they could really use a commercial win. I think the acquisition might have given them a lot of breathing room, which was why they agreed to sell.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nintendoboy16

@madrocketeer said:

@nintendoboy16:

Yeah, it's true consolidation makes bloated monsters and stifle competition. I just don't think this particular acquisition is as disruptive as any of the other ones you've listed. It's just a small studio doing mid-budget games with no IP of their own.

Even still... Big Tech/Big Entertainment. I don't care how small it is...

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 madrocketeer

@nintendoboy16:

Fair enough.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34602 Posts

Cool. All their good shit have been Nintendo games anyway, looking at their (pretty small) history.

A new Mario Strikers would be nice.

philamona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 philamona
Member since 2020 • 50 Posts

@nintendoboy16: Would you be more concerned if Nintendo acquired Square-Enix or Sega instead of Next Level Games?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

That’s cool. I thought that it was an in-house game though. I haven’t played it yet myself but it does look to be an excellent game and one that I wouldn’t mind getting myself sometime.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts

When Nintendo acquires stuff I worry, they got rights to Fatal Frame and they have handled it disastrously.

Then years from now we'll be asking where is Luigi's Mansion 4 and we'll hear stories how Nintendo makes them go to work and stare at a wall all day in hopes they take early retirement.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Like others I thought the IP was already 1st party.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By nintendoboy16

@philamona said:

@nintendoboy16: Would you be more concerned if Nintendo acquired Square-Enix or Sega instead of Next Level Games?

Yeah... I would. I may be a Nintendo fanboy, but don't think I'd put that aside for the consequences on the REAL WORLD! Monopolies are a TERRIBLE thing.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17814 Posts

good stuff. the developer wasnt really working on multiplats anyway. they seems to be a long time collaborator with nintendo.

nintendo do need to do a bit of developer shopping and building their development capacity. they also need more devs outside japan imho just for a bit more variety.

next: ubisoft :P j/k.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@madrocketeer said:

Metroid Prime: Federation Force. Urgh. At least Luigi's Mansion 2 and 3 are decent.

Federation Force isn't bad. Rather than looking at and expecting a full on Samus game it gains a lot once it is put in perspective. When it came out I played it briefly and then unloaded it but I repurchased it in the last year and it has been fun in short spurts.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11086 Posts

Very nice. Now expand them and put them on another Punch-Out game immediately

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

I know needs more studios, but eh... I don't know. I'm just as iffy about this as MS' Bethesda buyout.

Same. It's ****ing shopping season for the big 3.

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#31  Edited By iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I own it but haven't played it yet. I'm looking forward to vegging out on it soon though. Just have to steal my Switch back from my daughter.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nintendoboy16

@lebanese_boy said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Yup... my fears on buyouts like this these days come from ramifications made in not only Big Tech and Big Entertainment, but industries as a whole.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

That's very smart by Nintendo... I said after I played Luigi's Mansion 3 that they should acquire them. They are a very talented studio.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

It was a smart move. They also should've acquired the studio that made Smash Project M too.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Mario Strikers please!

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:
@lebanese_boy said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

Yup... my fears on buyouts like this these days come from ramifications made in not only Big Tech and Big Entertainment, but industries as a whole.

What's worse is the cheerleading these kind of moves get. While this one in particular isn't on the same scale as Bethesda's buyout it still worries me a little.

Avatar image for deactivated-60113e7859d7d
deactivated-60113e7859d7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-60113e7859d7d
Member since 2017 • 3808 Posts

Yeah, Luigi's Mansion 3 was pretty nice. Loved how expressive the characters were.

I'm not surprised they're Canadian, since I was already surprised by the DKC Tropical Freeze team being Texan. Both games feel Japanese, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Meh they make Mario games, so they can't be next level.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

That company has been working with Nintendo for a long time and they even said that they would make games exclusively for Nintendo since 2014 so it wasn't a surprise to me that Nintendo would eventually buy them out.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jaydan
Member since 2015 • 8414 Posts

That is an understandable and suitable acquisition by Nintendo.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 nintendoboy16

@lebanese_boy said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

What's worse is the cheerleading these kind of moves get. While this one in particular isn't on the same scale as Bethesda's buyout it still worries me a little.

True. The only time in recent memory I praised anything like this was when Disney got 99% of Marvel superheroes together when it comes to film (1% STILL split with Sony). Besides that, their general buyout of Fox and several others are still... yikes!

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#42 GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9728 Posts

This is a great buy for Nintendo. It makes sense to buy Next Level Games.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1853 Posts
@nintendoboy16 said:

There is a difference though. Bethesda was actually making games for other platforms, so Microsoft just snatched them off the market. Next Level Games barely made games that weren't playable on Nintendo platforms.

@nintendoboy16 said:
@philamona said:

Yeah... I would. I may be a Nintendo fanboy, but don't think I'd put that aside for the consequences on the REAL WORLD! Monopolies are a TERRIBLE thing.

Though I do agree with you here. I love Nintendo, but I would actually panic if they bought Square Enix or Sega. Really, Sega and Square Enix are doing so well on their own that they don't need to be bought.

@AcidTango said:

That company has been working with Nintendo for a long time and they even said that they would make games exclusively for Nintendo since 2014 so it wasn't a surprise to me that Nintendo would eventually buy them out.

This. I mean, did much change from Nintendo buying them other than official exclusivity? Like they were still making games only for Nintendo, but this just solidifies it ya know.