Nier Automata reaches 6 million units sold! Nier Replicant hits 1 million!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45263 Posts

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/06/nier-automata-shipments-and-digital-sales-top-six-million-nier-replicant-ver-1-22474487139-tops-one-million

Total worldwide shipments and digital sales for NieR: Automata and NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139 have exceeded six million units and one million units, respectively Square Enix announced.

It still amazes me that Nier Automata has sold as much as it has. It's an awesome game but I thought it'd be too niche for mainstream gamers. As for Nier Replicant, hope to play that soon..I have a feeling i'll be disappointed though 😬 Regardless, I preordered my 2B figure 😎

What say you, SW? Are you a fan of this franchise? Have you played both games?

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#2 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19587 Posts

Nier Automata is almost approaching Final Fantasy like numbers... It's mad how much niche Japanese franchises like Nier, Persona and Monster Hunter have blown up over the last few years.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44313 Posts

Cool. Played through some of Automata and really enjoyed it. Need to get back to it some day and finish it up. Haven’t picked up Replicant yet but did play through the original on the 360 several times to get the different scenarios and endings. Interested in checking out Replicant some day to see how it compares to the original.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#4 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15947 Posts

Congratulations! Enjoyed both games a lot.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@Jag85: you think Shin Megami Tensei V is next?! I'm looking forward to giving it a go. This is my first game with that franchise.

@Archangel3371: why don't you get it on your Game Pass 😎

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I'm gearing up to give it another try. I wasn't in love with the demo on ps4 back in the day but I don't know if I gave it a fair shake, so I'll fire up the real game and see what's up

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44313 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: Because it’s not on there yet. Nier Automata is currently on there but I already own it anyway. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see Replicant go on there as well at some point. 😎

darktruth007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By darktruth007
Member since 2003 • 976 Posts

Funny I just started playing this seriously. I played the intro section back in 2017 and 2019 and never bothered to continue past that point until just a few days ago. But I'm liking this a lot so far.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SolidGame_basic

@xantufrog: can't wait for the PC patch! Hope it supports ultra wide.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3231 Posts

That's good. When I have time in the future I will pick up Nier Replicant.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39240 Posts

@Jag85 said:

Nier Automata is almost approaching Final Fantasy like numbers... It's mad how much niche Japanese franchises like Nier, Persona and Monster Hunter have blown up over the last few years.

Load of people always liked MH in europe and NA. Capcom refused to release it on proper systems because 70 years ago it didn't do well. Pretty stupid. The success they're currently having with the series could've been a thing for over 10 years at this point.

I bet you that if they were to release a dragon's dogma game that has 4 players coop and the same kind of quest structure MH has, this too can be a massive hit, but Capcom is slow af and don't see it.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7319 Posts

That's amazing. Would never have expected those kind of sales numbers for a Yoko Taro game. Almost as shocking as when I learned earlier today that Euro Truck Simulator 2 sold about that much.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@judaspete said:

That's amazing. Would never have expected those kind of sales numbers for a Yoko Taro game. Almost as shocking as when I learned earlier today that Euro Truck Simulator 2 sold about that much.

Yea, sad that the thread got locked because a couple people were sensitive about PC sales 😄

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

Automata is one of the best games from last gen. Haven't played Replicant.

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

Need to go back and push through N:A's second play through.

ZeroTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ZeroTheHero
Member since 2021 • 1391 Posts

This niche game outsold halo 5?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44611 Posts

I was a bit let down, though I enjoyed the game, it plays more like a RPG than a beat em up. Given that Platinum was brought onto make it and they did Bayonetta, guess I was hoping for it to be more like a beat em up.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#18 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19587 Posts
@SolidGame_basic said:

@Jag85: you think Shin Megami Tensei V is next?! I'm looking forward to giving it a go. This is my first game with that franchise.

Who knows? Persona has already become a mainstream franchise, so Megami Tensei could potentially tap into that large Persona fanbase to reach a wider audience.

But more generally, there's definitely a growing mainstream market for "niche" Japanese games. A decade ago, Nier Replicant was rejected for Western release because it was considered too "Japanese" for Western audiences, so a "Westernized" version called Nier Gestalt was released instead. Yet Nier Replicant has now far outsold Nier Gestalt by a wide margin in the West.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 13028 Posts

Automata was my GOTY when it came out. Playing through Replicant now.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69816 Posts

I found the game to be rather uninteresting.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15947 Posts

@Jag85 said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Who knows? Persona has already become a mainstream franchise, so Megami Tensei could potentially tap into that large Persona fanbase to reach a wider audience.

But more generally, there's definitely a growing mainstream market for "niche" Japanese games. A decade ago, Nier Replicant was rejected for Western release because it was considered too "Japanese" for Western audiences, so a "Westernized" version called Nier Gestalt was released instead. Yet Nier Replicant has now far outsold Nier Gestalt by a wide margin in the West.

Hopefully! No SMT games ever sold 1 million copies so hopelly this one will break the curse. Their most popular entry SMTIV took few years to reach 600k worldwide despite the quality release, if I recall everyone is voiced in and there is some high quality VA too.

Also hopefully no SMT elitist trying to gatekeep. Hate those guys.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SolidGame_basic

@x_hedon said:

Automata was my GOTY when it came out. Playing through Replicant now.

I've been playing it this weekend and I think it's great. Very much reminds me of what I enjoyed about Nier Automata. The characters, the world, THE MUSIC, the mysterious setting, and even the combat is good. I wouldn't say the combat is better than Nier Automata, but still enjoyable. I mean, Platinum isn't involved after all..