Next Xbox To Use Blu Ray

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CZVA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 CZVA
Member since 2009 • 1166 Posts

Hahhahahahha. What choice does MS have? HDDVD? DVD?

Avatar image for deactivated-6224e9178325f
deactivated-6224e9178325f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 deactivated-6224e9178325f
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts

Comact Discs... hey, you named all the other ones...

salxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 salxis
Member since 2009 • 4280 Posts
Nah, full digital distribution
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

CZVA
Install games like PC, so they could still use DVD. Problem solved.
Hexagon_777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Hexagon_777
Member since 2007 • 20348 Posts
Digital distribution.
CZVA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CZVA
Member since 2009 • 1166 Posts

MS is probably going to make an arcade version again. Plus digital just isnt the console way of doing things, not until HDDs can support the number of games some people are willing to buy.

walkingdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 walkingdream
Member since 2009 • 4883 Posts
Why does it matter? Blue Ray has been proven to be useless this Gen and really only needed next gen. Not only that Microsoft avoided the massive price point they could of had and never go the x360 off the ground.
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AnnoyedDragon
Member since 2006 • 9948 Posts

If consoles next gen don't offer full installations to the HDD; they are moving backwards.

Storage is cheap, there are great benifits getting around the limitations of optical disks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

NO chance of that happening, they say they dont want blu-ray but they dont realize how much of an advantage that is for PS3. I guess they like the heaps of cash they are getting for making Xbox 360 users pay a hundered dollars for a DVD player on the 360.

savetehhaloz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#10 savetehhaloz
Member since 2007 • 2373 Posts

CZVA

its called DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION. case closed. Look at Valve's success with Steam. Look at Apple and itunes and how they took up a large portion of the market.

SmashingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 SmashingX
Member since 2007 • 625 Posts

Blu-ray was a waste for the ps3 just as much as it's architechture was. idk if the ps3's guts are to blame but TC are you aware that most of the ps3 games require 1-5GB's mandatory install space to play? It's 2010 and microsoft is making good use of dvd. so they don't HAVE to but they MIGHT imo

ToScA-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ToScA-
Member since 2006 • 5782 Posts
...uhm, why wouldn't they use Blu-Ray?
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AnnoyedDragon

...uhm, why wouldn't they use Blu-Ray?ToScA-

Cows have it in their heads it's some sort of ownage if Microsoft adopted the industry standard disk format next gen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

so many people think blu ray is useless I keep saying the same thing; blu ray has a 45nm laser meaning it can scan disks faster meaning it can have amazing visuals since it reads the disk much faster than DVD's 90nm laser. Also 1 dual layer DVD disk holds 9GB of storage, 1 dual layer Blu Ray disk holds 50GB of storage. Thats over 5 times more space for content, heck MGS4 used most of it and would take up 5 disks if it was on 360. Killzone 2 would take up 2-3 disks. This allows more data to be on the disk and more space for development. Its pretty obvious if you check the facts, I love knowing stuff :D.

savetehhaloz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#15 savetehhaloz
Member since 2007 • 2373 Posts

so many people think blu ray is useless I keep saying the same thing; blu ray has a 45nm laser meaning it can scan disks faster meaning it can have amazing visuals since it reads the disk much faster than DVD's 90nm laser. Also 1 dual layer DVD disk holds 9GB of storage, 1 dual layer Blu Ray disk holds 50GB of storage. Thats over 5 times more space for content, heck MGS4 used most of it and would take up 5 disks if it was on 360. Killzone 2 would take up 2-3 disks. This allows more data to be on the disk and more space for development. Its pretty obvious if you check the facts, I love knowing stuff :D.

XVision84
Digital Distribution is the way to go. Less cost on the developer's part and the product will be widely available to a massive audience.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

savetehhaloz

Digital Distribution is the way to go. Less cost on the developer's part and the product will be widely available to a massive audience.

Yes digital distribution would work well, but also if you say get the game but end up not liking it then that would mean you cant return it (believe me it happens) and also if your not sure about the game you can get a used version of the game since its much easier but you cant get used stuff from digital distribution. Otherwise I agree it could work well but it does have some downsides wich could lead to frustration.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AnnoyedDragon

XVision84

I don't think you quite understand peoples criticisms. People are saying Blu-ray isn't needed... this gen.

The Blu-ray player in the PS3 is an example of what premature hardware adoption will do. 50GB capacity disks being bottlenecked by a less than DVD read speed, you just cannot take advantage of all that information if you cannot read it fast enough.

It has reached a point were PS3 games are duplicating data on the disk and installations to accommodate some of the limitations of the disk, yet this bloat is being pushed as evidence that the format is needed this gen?

It feels like Cows fight over tiny scraps of significance when arguing why Blu-ray is needed this gen, the format simply won't see full benefits until next gen.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
The next gen will be downloadable games ( digital distribution.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

It still helped make fantastic games like MGS4 and Killzone 2, and many people bought a ps3 also for blu ray movies. My friend gets a blu ray movie every week to enjoy on his PS3, I prefer the cinema but Blu Ray has the better quality in movies and is an advantage for ps3.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AnnoyedDragon

It still helped make fantastic games like MGS4 and Killzone 2

XVision84

When people checked the MGS4 disk it was taking up 32GB of space, that's 3.8 divided into a dual layer DVD. That includes the duplicated data and the lack of decent compression. Given the chapter progression of MGS4, the game would likely be easily made into a 3 DVD game.

Outside of RPG's and a unique title like RAGE, I honestly don't see why those games needed Blu-ray in order to be possible. They are linear and likely full of needless bloat just because the space is there. It's like when CD-roms arrived, developers abandoned space saving methods like procedural generation and bloated up their games. The claims about Killzone 2 level size are ridiculous, what could possibly require that much space and what exactly is it adding to the game?

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
However, I feel that mandatory HDD is a must.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

So your telling me that you would rather play a game on 3 DVD disks rather than 1 blu ray disk? the statement of developers making games bloated depends on the developer but the size of blu ray lets them do what they choose, bloat it or not it lets them and why not have blu ray earlier? It aids games a bit and it adds the option of watching movies in great quality using ps3.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AnnoyedDragon

So your telling me that you would rather play a game on 3 DVD disks rather than 1 blu ray disk? the statement of developers making games bloated depends on the developer but the size of blu ray lets them do what they choose, bloat it or not it lets them and why not have blu ray earlier? It aids games a bit and it adds the option of watching movies in great quality using ps3.

XVision84

And now you are going to tell me that changing a disk is the the most horrid, inconvenient and unacceptable task in the world...

All you are focusing on is the capacity, you are not taking into account disk media is about storing and "reading" information. Blu-ray doesn't let them do what they choose, they have to work around how much information the disk is able to transfer at any one moment.

If it were a 4x speed Blu-ray drive in the PS3 it would be a different story, but it's not. I often question why people criticise 360 for not adopting Blu-ray, PS3 launched a year later and they still only managed to get this bottom of the line 2x speed Blu-ray drive. What chance did 360 have of getting a decent one a year earlier?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

well it sure is more convenient to have 1 disk to store all your information. Blu ray on PS3 may only be 2x but DVD is much more limited in terms of quality and space.

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AnnoyedDragon

well it sure is more convenient to have 1 disk to store all your information. Blu ray on PS3 may only be 2x but DVD is much more limited in terms of quality and space.

XVision84

As I said before, fighting over tiny scraps of significance.

Swapping a disk is not a big deal, Cows made it a big deal so they had "something" to argue, they honestly say they would rather sit through a 2 minute installation than just swap the disk. It's like how every Cows suddenly acquired a top of the line surround sound system the second Blu-ray was announced for PS3, they will say anything they can thing of to justify in their mind why they are superior.

You can pick at scraps here and there as to why Blu-ray is useful this gen, but it won't become mandatory and required until next gen. Right now; it only offers a handful of perks and some issues along with them.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

If consoles next gen don't offer full installations to the HDD; they are moving backwards.

Storage is cheap, there are great benifits getting around the limitations of optical disks.

AnnoyedDragon
Indeed, I hope by next gen they will use solid state drives (hopefully they get a lot cheaper in the next few years)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

I am not picking at tiny scraps it is just more convenient period. It is only an addition to gaming and the advantages of those perks dominate the disadvantages. We can continue this on forever because there are advantages and disadvantages for blu ray., its the truth. I will take the 50gb with the 45nm blue laser and the quality it has of playing movies, AND the convenience of one disk for all my data over any disadvantage it gets me and DVD.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

ou argument almost took a whole page lol, spamming this board with our argument :P.

reiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 reiv
Member since 2008 • 1038 Posts
I can't see digital distribution taking off, at least for console games. I would prefer to install games to a HDD from a disk if it made the games perform better, otherwise I don't really care. Swapping disks, not so much.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Digital distibution - Hard Drives are dirt cheap and can be used to store much more than games. If the new consoles had 500Gb HDDs you could fit loads of games and media. Win/Win situation. Also games will be cheaper because money isn't wasted on Blu-Ray/DVD.

nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts

[QUOTE="CZVA"]

SaltyMeatballs

Install games like PC, so they could still use DVD. Problem solved.

Not really because they would just charge us an arm & leg for HDDs that are specific to the console.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts
You can pick at scraps here and there as to why Blu-ray is useful this gen, but it won't become mandatory and required until next gen. Right now; it only offers a handful of perks and some issues along with them.AnnoyedDragon
This part is full of win.
Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
No, they still be using the standard DVD for the next two gens, that's what I heard.... here's the LINK.
lhughey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lhughey
Member since 2006 • 4867 Posts
yes, the next xbox will have blu-ray. Not a big deal.
Vipa37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vipa37
Member since 2009 • 268 Posts

AnnoyedDragon is right blu-ray outside of movies (which can be argued by the way) is not really doing anything revolutionary for consoles at this point. Most multiplats are looking better on the xbox 360 and i am not even going to mention what the pc games look like compared to the console games its just that the games are not really showing that blu-ray is needed at this point especially on consoles where the games are not taking real advantage over the space they have cause if they did i would not need MGS4 legendary installs where the game took as long to load as a pc game and i had to do that after EACH chapter and you still have loading screens in the chapters after they were installed.

killeer2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 killeer2007
Member since 2004 • 793 Posts

Digital distibution - Hard Drives are dirt cheap and can be used to store much more than games. If the new consoles had 500Gb HDDs you could fit loads of games and media. Win/Win situation. Also games will be cheaper because money isn't wasted on Blu-Ray/DVD.

kraken2109

Such a common misconception, games aren't necessarilly cheaper (to the consumer) becuase they are Digitally Distributed.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#38 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

[QUOTE="AnnoyedDragon"]

[QUOTE="XVision84"]

CZVA

As I said before, fighting over tiny scraps of significance.

Swapping a disk is not a big deal, Cows made it a big deal so they had "something" to argue, they honestly say they would rather sit through a 2 minute installation than just swap the disk. It's like how every Cows suddenly acquired a top of the line surround sound system the second Blu-ray was announced for PC, they will say anything they can thing of to justify in their mind why they are superior.

You can pick at scraps here and there as to why Blu-ray is useful this gen, but it won't become mandatory and required until next gen. Right now; it only offers a handful of perks and some issues along with them.

Stop making it seem like swapping discs is OK. Thats just retarded. Any next gen system that has to swap discs is fail. Why dont you see multi disc Xbox 360 games with a long SP? Youre drifting too far off from the truth to defend your initial statement.

It's so hard to get my lazy ass up and swap a disk which take about five seconds. :roll:

Avatar image for Ravenlore_basic
Ravenlore_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#39 Ravenlore_basic
Member since 2003 • 4319 Posts

Nah, full digital distributionsalxis

aound 35 Million Xbox 360s sold around 17 Million people use Live silver and Gold. DD does not make sience yet! unless you think MS would be happy with a lot less costumers!!

RickLemieux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 RickLemieux
Member since 2003 • 517 Posts

[QUOTE="ToScA-"]...uhm, why wouldn't they use Blu-Ray?AnnoyedDragon

Cows have it in their heads it's some sort of ownage if Microsoft adopted the industry standard disk format next gen.

I find that funny. I guess that means that Microsoft could claim ownage because Sony computers use Windows!

Avatar image for BloodSeeker1337
BloodSeeker1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BloodSeeker1337
Member since 2009 • 1278 Posts
If The Next Xbox Uses Blu-Ray. It's hardware Sales will decrease
AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AnnoyedDragon

I find that funny. I guess that means that Microsoft could claim ownage because Sony computers use Windows!

RickLemieux

That's pretty much the argument they are making.

Undoubtedly companies end up using their competitors products at some point because that's just the industry standard.

Stop making it seem like swapping discs is OK. Thats just retarded. Any next gen system that has to swap discs is fail. Why dont you see multi disc Xbox 360 games with a long SP? Youre drifting too far off from the truth to defend your initial statement.

CZVA

Swapping the disk is not ok; but waiting through a 2+ minute install every chapter is?

Also didn't Lost Odyssey use a fair number of disks? Infinite Undiscovery was another multi disk 360 RPG.

Ultimaspooges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Ultimaspooges
Member since 2009 • 351 Posts

Why does it matter? Blue Ray has been proven to be useless this Gen and really only needed next gen. Not only that Microsoft avoided the massive price point they could of had and never go the x360 off the ground.walkingdream

Blu Ray, not needed? I'm sorry but after watching The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray, DVDs sting my eyes.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

CZVA
at least they will make a system that uses it for gaming. unlike what sony did with the ps3
Avatar image for BloodSeeker1337
BloodSeeker1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BloodSeeker1337
Member since 2009 • 1278 Posts

[QUOTE="walkingdream"]Why does it matter? Blue Ray has been proven to be useless this Gen and really only needed next gen. Not only that Microsoft avoided the massive price point they could of had and never go the x360 off the ground.Ultimaspooges

Blu Ray, not needed? I'm sorry but after watching The Dark Knight on Blu-Ray, DVDs sting my eyes.

That Was A Movie Not A Game :x
awssk8er716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 awssk8er716
Member since 2005 • 8485 Posts

Digital distribution.Hexagon_777

Demos take long enough already... Imagine a new game that everyone wants trying to download it at once...

AnnoyedDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AnnoyedDragon

Ultimaspooges

That's a film, not very relevant when talking about gaming.

dual_boot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50 dual_boot
Member since 2008 • 312 Posts

You guys should thank Sony for making bluray standard.