Next Nintendo will be soon. Microsoft and Sony will wait

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DumbDubya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DumbDubya
Member since 2009 • 668 Posts

I think it's pretty apparent Nintendo will continue to follow their 5-year console cycle and release their next system in 2011 even if the Wii continues to sell millions. The wii is just way too underpowered. Their next system could be as simple as an upgraded HD version of Wii or a new powerhouse system. I would not be suprised if "Wii" is still in the name. Afterall they kept Nintendo in Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64 following the highly successful NES.

Sony and Microsoft on the other hand have WAY TOO MUCH money invested the the current generation. Sony Gaming is obviously still in the RED and I'm not entirely certain Microsoft has gotten out of it either (not sure)? Besides which, their harddware has hardly peaked. Their systems are in their prime and there is really only so much more room for harddware improvement at this time. It would just anger game developers to release new systems that they would have to bulid around again. And their newly announced motion control projects and experimentation with real 3-D gaming is a good hint that they will not only keep a 10-year cycle but might actual wait the nearly 10 years to release new machines.

Just some random thoughts.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

I thought this thread was going to be about Pachter, doing what he does best: being wrong.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
I don't think Ninty will be too quick to jump into new hardware. They are making good money on the Wii, and this is still without any price drops.
goblaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 goblaa
Member since 2006 • 19304 Posts

Reggie last E3 talked about the wii having 5-10 year console life.

Avatar image for muay_thai_demon
muay_thai_demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 muay_thai_demon
Member since 2009 • 446 Posts
Microsoft stated long ago they plan to update the console in 4-year bursts. If anything, Microsoft will update first, and Sony and Nintendo will wait.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
[QUOTE="muay_thai_demon"]Microsoft stated long ago they plan to update the console in 4-year bursts. If anything, Microsoft will update first, and Sony and Nintendo will wait.

Most recently, MS said that the 360 was about halfway through its lifecycle. That would put the next Xbox in 2013.
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

goblaa

That wouldnt stop Nintendo from making a Wii 1.5 that can co-exist with the original wii

It would have H.D but will no longer play Gamcube games. Would have a built in motion plus with all it's controllers...and a nunchuck with better motion control! That is just what i think! They would try to keep prices down so they might lower the original Wii and make the new Wii 1.5 250$. From what i heard, the wii is overpriced anywase.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

goblaa

Wow, that really narrows it down. Now it will definitely be standard length or twice as long. Or possibly somewhere in the middle.

rybe1025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rybe1025
Member since 2004 • 6362 Posts
So the console that is selling by far the most consoles is just going to stop what they are doing and start over?? The next Wii is not comming out anytime soon
jakehouston88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 jakehouston88
Member since 2009 • 2848 Posts

goblaa

Having that low tech for 7 more years!?! .:lol:

boredy-Mcbored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 boredy-Mcbored
Member since 2007 • 1566 Posts

Well in terms of profit and production time (this gen) it goes:

1 Ninty

2 Microsoft

3 Sony

So I assume that they would go in that order when pumping out systems but then again I know nothing on who's planning what.

Avatar image for muay_thai_demon
muay_thai_demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 muay_thai_demon
Member since 2009 • 446 Posts
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="muay_thai_demon"]Microsoft stated long ago they plan to update the console in 4-year bursts. If anything, Microsoft will update first, and Sony and Nintendo will wait.

Most recently, MS said that the 360 was about halfway through its lifecycle. That would put the next Xbox in 2013.

I remember either at one of the E3s long ago or at the 360's launch they planned on 4-year updates. If I remember correctly, one of MS's higher ups said this (and no, it wasn't Bill gates). Hence why the Xbox 360 hardware is a tad obselete while the PS3 is a technological powerhouse.
DumbDubya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DumbDubya

goblaa

NES and Super Nintendo had around 10-year cycles as well. That didn't stop them from releasing new consoles before the cycle was up.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
I can't see them revealing whatever they are working on until they reach market saturation with the Wii, wouldn't make sense to damage your own sales when they are this high to get people pumped up and waiting for the new machine that will be coming out eventually, I'm pretty sure Nintendo will stick with the "Long term" plan this generation has adopted from Sony.
Avatar image for SexySasquatch11
SexySasquatch11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SexySasquatch11
Member since 2008 • 500 Posts

[QUOTE="goblaa"]

jakehouston88

Having that low tech for 7 more years!?! .:lol:

Huh? Whats wrong with having low tech? Does less polygons make a game less fun? I have 35 games for my Wii right now. Thats overshadowed by my 41 360 games or my 46 DS games...or my 1 PS3 game. Oh wait that can't be right. A powerhouse systems gotta be better than a weak POS one. Let me go recount my PS3 games. Nope still 1. Wow I guess having all the power still doesn't make the games more fun to play.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="muay_thai_demon"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="muay_thai_demon"]Microsoft stated long ago they plan to update the console in 4-year bursts. If anything, Microsoft will update first, and Sony and Nintendo will wait.

I remember either at one of the E3s long ago or at the 360's launch they planned on 4-year updates. If I remember correctly, one of MS's higher ups said this (and no, it wasn't Bill gates). Hence why the Xbox 360 hardware is a tad obselete while the PS3 is a technological powerhouse.

And I recall a Microsoft high-up (perhaps even Ballmer) saying that the 360 is in for the long haul, especially since it is now in the black. Unlike last time, they'll keep the 360 going even after they release a new console (which was last pegged at around 2011--it's certainly too late to be doing it in '09 since they didn't unveil the console at this year's E3).
shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

I think it's pretty apparent Nintendo will continue to follow their 5-year console cycle and release their next system in 2011 even if the Wii continues to sell millions. The wii is just way too underpowered. Their next system could be as simple as an upgraded HD version of Wii or a new powerhouse system. I would not be suprised if "Wii" is still in the name. Afterall they kept Nintendo in Super Nintendo and Nintendo 64 following the highly successful NES.

Sony and Microsoft on the other hand have WAY TOO MUCH money invested the the current generation. Sony Gaming is obviously still in the RED and I'm not entirely certain Microsoft has gotten out of it either (not sure)? Besides which, their harddware has hardly peaked. Their systems are in their prime and there is really only so much more room for harddware improvement at this time. It would just anger game developers to release new systems that they would have to bulid around again. And their newly announced motion control projects and experimentation with real 3-D gaming is a good hint that they will not only keep a 10-year cycle but might actual wait the nearly 10 years to release new machines.

DumbDubya

That's not how business works. If anything Sony/MS will come out with a new console first. Nintendo will just milk the living crap out of the wii till it can't make anymore out of it, and then release a new console.

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

[QUOTE="muay_thai_demon"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] Most recently, MS said that the 360 was about halfway through its lifecycle. That would put the next Xbox in 2013.HuusAsking

And I recall a Microsoft high-up (perhaps even Ballmer) saying that the 360 is in for the long haul, especially since it is now in the black. Unlike last time, they'll keep the 360 going even after they release a new console (which was last pegged at around 2011--it's certainly too late to be doing it in '09 since they didn't unveil the console at this year's E3).

They definetly said 7 years was the target, sometime last year (so that backs up their half way through thr gen comment). I said MS will be first in Q4 2012, with Nintendo and Sony in 2013.

enygma500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 enygma500
Member since 2005 • 3004 Posts

[QUOTE="muay_thai_demon"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"] Most recently, MS said that the 360 was about halfway through its lifecycle. That would put the next Xbox in 2013.HuusAsking

If there was a new console coming it 2011, we'd have already heard about it. There is no console coming in 2011. Hell, the way devs are getting with trailers and teasers, if there was gonna be a new xbox in 2013, we'd have already heard about it.

creativeminded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 creativeminded
Member since 2005 • 1729 Posts
Nintendo will probebly release their next console before the other two, however as long as the Wii is selling they won't. Nintendo has stated in many interview that they go with what works and only do changes when it's needed. Their was a new DS made with better graphics but was cancelled since the current DS is selling regardless of it's weak hardware and I read in an interview somewhere that Nin won't go past the Wii while it's selling something stupid.
Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
I don't see any of the big three releasing a new console any time soon. They have their own reasons for making this gen so long as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo releases a new Wii SKU, though (kinda like the DSi).
DumbDubya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DumbDubya

[QUOTE="DumbDubya"]

shakmaster13

That's not how business works. If anything Sony/MS will come out with a new console first. Nintendo will just milk the living crap out of the wii till it can't make anymore out of it, and then release a new console.

I know how business works and I'm still sticking to the same timeline.

enygma500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 enygma500

[QUOTE="shakmaster13"]

[QUOTE="DumbDubya"]

DumbDubya

Obviously you don't if you think ninty would drop the wii even if it's selling millions still. Why do you think M$ turned it's 5 year cycle to a 10 year cycle. Because they need to. Not because they wanted to.

Nintendo will milk the wii till there's no milk left. THAT'S the way the business world works.

DumbDubya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DumbDubya

[QUOTE="DumbDubya"]

[QUOTE="shakmaster13"]

enygma500

Obviously you don't if you think ninty would drop the wii even if it's selling millions still. Why do you think M$ turned it's 5 year cycle to a 10 year cycle. Because they need to. Not because they wanted to.

Nintendo will milk the wii till there's no milk left. THAT'S the way the business world works.

Uhh...no. Nintendo will continue selling the Wii while launching their next console. They need to freshen the market with a new product so their current product doesn't oversaturate. That's how business works.

shakmaster13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shakmaster13
Member since 2007 • 7138 Posts

[QUOTE="enygma500"]

[QUOTE="DumbDubya"]

DumbDubya

Uhh...no. Nintendo will continue selling the Wii while launching their next console. They need to freshen the market with a new product so their current product doesn't oversaturate. That's how business works.

They won't come out with a new console as long as the wii keeps selling because they cater to a different audience than Sony and MS. The reason sony didn't just keep the PS2 and moved onto the PS3 is because MS had something better to offer to their market audience.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts

[QUOTE="DumbDubya"]

[QUOTE="enygma500"]

shakmaster13

They won't come out with a new console as long as the wii keeps selling because they cater to a different audience than Sony and MS. The reason sony didn't just keep the PS2 and moved onto the PS3 is because MS had something better to offer to their market audience.

Then why was Atari trying to release a new console before the Crash even though they dominated the market? Market saturation, that's why. What if the Wii gets close to market saturation?
enygma500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 enygma500

[QUOTE="enygma500"]

[QUOTE="DumbDubya"]

DumbDubya

yes, nintendo is worried about selling too many wii's. You sir are a well educated man....

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
The Wii is only "way too underpowered" for people who would never consider buying a Nintendo console regardless of its abilities. It's damn near doubling the sales of closest competitor and it's been out in less time. Clearly there a huge segment of gamers that doesn't care whether a game is pushing a billion polygons a second as long as it's fun.
shutdown_202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 shutdown_202
Member since 2005 • 5649 Posts

If thats your reason for Nintendo releasing first then that will not happen. Power means absoloutely nothing to Nintendo (and non-gamers). Casuals just dont care about graphics (im not talking about caring about good graphics but not telling if a game has bad graphics) so therefore, Nintendo dont too.

Frankly, i wouldnt be suprised if the next Nintendo console had the exact same power as the GC/Wii but with a new method of play.

With all that said i also think Nintendo will be the first into next gen (or atleast unveil their console), but not for your reason.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23033 Posts
[QUOTE="enygma500"]

[QUOTE="DumbDubya"]

[QUOTE="enygma500"]

yes, nintendo is worried about selling too many wii's. You sir are a well educated man....

You're misunderstanding him. When the market becomes saturated, most people who want a Wii already have one. Who will Nintendo sell Wii's to at that point? When that point is hit, it becomes pertinent to release a new product.
DumbDubya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DumbDubya

[QUOTE="DumbDubya"]

[QUOTE="enygma500"]

enygma500

I have a Masters Degree so yes I am well educated. What do you have? I'm guessing not much.

You clearly don't understand anything about oversaturation and product refreshes. Go to school.

furomaster_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 furomaster_99
Member since 2009 • 737 Posts

[QUOTE="muay_thai_demon"]Microsoft stated long ago they plan to update the console in 4-year bursts. If anything, Microsoft will update first, and Sony and Nintendo will wait.SpruceCaboose

I think the next xbox will launch when natal is ready; Probably a system designed around natal like the Wii system is.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
as soon as the next nintendo system comes out the others will need to come out with a new system
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts

[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"][QUOTE="muay_thai_demon"]Microsoft stated long ago they plan to update the console in 4-year bursts. If anything, Microsoft will update first, and Sony and Nintendo will wait.furomaster_99

I think the next xbox will launch when natal is ready; Probably a system designed around natal like the Wii system is.

i dont see how natal would be like a wii system