Next generation engines PC misses out

• 139 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nameless-Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nameless-Hero
Member since 2007 • 360 Posts

this only goes to confirm the emphasis put on pc games is over and developers and publishers realize that the real money is in the console markets. this is not intended to bash pc gaming or anything like that but this is going to be the reality of things to come.

Unreal Engine 4 designed specificly for PS4, XBOX3, Wii2(if capable)

Cry Engine 3 same thing as above.

and unconfirmed rumores that Offset engine is simply a tech demo for PC but has next gen consoles as main designation.

thoughts

Panther501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Panther501
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts
engines that are on the 360 can be ported to the pc.
agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 agentfred
Member since 2003 • 5666 Posts

I suspect you don't know what you're talking about.

Also, Link?

xbox360isgr8t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 xbox360isgr8t
Member since 2006 • 6600 Posts
pc will always be ahead of consoles. consoles are great. but pc hardware grows daily and outdates daily. pc will have all those engines without a problem.
Nameless-Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Nameless-Hero

Also, Link?

agentfred

http://kotaku.com/367219/unreal-engine-4-targeting-consoles-not-pcs

i suspect you have been owned.

Panther501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Panther501
Member since 2007 • 1990 Posts

"There is a long life ahead for Unreal Engine 3. Version 4 will exclusively target the next console generation, Microsoft's successor for the Xbox 360, Sony's successor for the Playstation 3 - and if Nintendo ships a machine with similar hardware specs, then that also. PCs will follow after that."

TC just got owned.

You are right that ue4 is targeting consoles but it will still be put on the pc.

FAILURE 

Nameless-Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nameless-Hero

"There is a long life ahead for Unreal Engine 3. Version 4 will exclusively target the next console generation, Microsoft's successor for the Xbox 360, Sony's successor for the Playstation 3 - and if Nintendo ships a machine with similar hardware specs, then that also. PCs will follow after that."

TC just got owned.

You are right that ue4 is targeting consoles but it will still be put on the pc.

FAILURE

Panther501

when did i say that these engines would not come to pc that would be dumb of course they will. all im saying is that pc will not be the main focus on the design of the engine. please read first

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 agentfred

Nameless-Hero

Targeting consoles.

I must have missed the part where they said it wouldn't be available for PC games.  Now that I mention it, it specifically says that it will be on the PC.

How are PCs missing out?  You read a sensationalist new post that exaggerated the actual claim, and then further exaggerated the fact by saying PCs will "miss out", as if to indicate UE4 won't be available for PCs.

This really isn't a problem for any PC gamer.

Edit:

when did i say that these engines would not come to pc that would be dumb of course they will. all im saying is that pc will not be the main focus on the design of the engine. please read firstNameless-Hero

Your title suggested this. If you didn't actually mean that, you should probably changed the wording.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

Why does it matter?  Epic hasn't been involved in PC gaming for awhile now....its not the only "next generation" engine...

Koalakommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Koalakommander
Member since 2006 • 5462 Posts
Blizzard is gonna bank hardstyle on Starcraft 2.
SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts
TC got self owned. nothing to see here. move on
nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 nVidiaGaMer
Member since 2006 • 7793 Posts

pc will always be ahead of consoles. consoles are great. but pc hardware grows daily and outdates daily. pc will have all those engines without a problem.xbox360isgr8t

Not ahead all the time. When the 360 launched it was more powerful then 95% of all home computers.  Also PCs can't beat a console in price, power consumption, noise, amount of room it takes up, and longevity (PS2 almost 9 years and 360 looking for at least 5 years).  My gaming PC I built in 2006 didn't even last a full 2 years and I spent $1000 building it.  It had 7600GT, AMD 3800X2 CPU, 1GB RAM, 450 watt psu, and Soundblaster X-FI.  I had to recently upgrade my gpu, psu, and RAM which costed over $250.

Noldorin2646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Noldorin2646
Member since 2007 • 641 Posts
Epic isn't a PC dev anymore.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
pc have way better graphics then consoles. pc have good graphics left 4 dead seem to be the same on 360 then pc.
SamiRDuran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 SamiRDuran
Member since 2005 • 2758 Posts

[QUOTE="xbox360isgr8t"]pc will always be ahead of consoles. consoles are great. but pc hardware grows daily and outdates daily. pc will have all those engines without a problem.nVidiaGaMer

Not ahead all the time. When the 360 launched it was more powerful then 95% of all home computers.  Also PCs can't beat a console in price, power consumption, noise, and amount of room it takes up.

i only agree with noise output. nothing can come close to the xbox360 jet engine. my pc is deadly silent.

fatzebra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fatzebra
Member since 2005 • 1470 Posts

this only goes to confirm the emphasis put on pc games is over and developers and publishers realize that the real money is in the console markets. this is not intended to bash pc gaming or anything like that but this is going to be the reality of things to come.

and unconfirmed rumores that Offset engine is simply a tech demo for PC but has next gen consoles as main designation.

thoughts

Nameless-Hero

/HARD facepalm.

Excuse me, how do you think console games are devleoped? Thin air? It HAS to work for a PC. Damn people. Using your brain for like 3 seconds.

n_kors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 n_kors
Member since 2005 • 1785 Posts
Well let me just say no to that and I'll tell you why. Console hardware comes from the pc industry. Console manufacturers get their shiny graphics from the likes of ATI and Nvidia. The fact that these engines are being designed for the new consoles means that ATI and Nvidia are in cooperation with the console companies again. Simple as that. Console gaming comes from PC hardware innovation, and therefore pc owners will always have the tech edge. What do you think the 360 is anyway? A toaster? No, its small pc designed for gaming apps.
nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 nVidiaGaMer
[QUOTE="nVidiaGaMer"]

[QUOTE="xbox360isgr8t"]pc will always be ahead of consoles. consoles are great. but pc hardware grows daily and outdates daily. pc will have all those engines without a problem.SamiRDuran

Not ahead all the time. When the 360 launched it was more powerful then 95% of all home computers.  Also PCs can't beat a console in price, power consumption, noise, and amount of room it takes up.

i only agree with noise output. nothing can come close to the xbox360 jet engine. my pc is deadly silent.

Facts are that it takes up less space and uses much less power then a high end/mid end PC (160 watts for 360 some graphics cards alone draw that much power).

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

AHHA Xbox 1080 is gonna be a beast.  2GB of RAM Minimum...And a GPU immensely more powerful than anything currently out.  And to think it will probably be announced at E3 which is only 7 months away...

Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts
Epic isn't even a PC dev anymore after Unreal Tournament 3 failed so hard on the PC. It's no surprise that they're not putting their engine on PC as a priority, seeing as no PC Gamers care about their games anymore...
horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts

Unreal Engine 4 designed specificly for PS4, XBOX3, Wii2(if capable)Nameless-Hero

Um.... Epic said this like 2 years ago... They ALSO said this when they made UE3.... UE3 is a console engine first and foremost. Doesn't mean it looks or runs bad on PC.

Cry Engine 3 same thing as above.Nameless-Hero

No.

Crytek have said that although all their engines will be multiplatform in the future, the PC will always be the primary focus. As a German developer extremely focused on graphics, they will go with the cutting edge. That means they will go with the PC. Always. They have been quoted saying that no time in their future, EVER, will they make an engine that is not absolutely bleeding edge. That means consoles will ALWAYS get the port.

thoughts

Nameless-Hero

Thoughts on that particular statement are that you have no f***ing clue what you are talking about....

Remi Arnaud, who is now the General Engine Technology Manager on the game specifically said that the game is "No longer held back by the limitations of the now outdated consoles." As for it being targeted for next gen consoles... No... The engine is being targeted at high end PC'sin 2010, and specifically Intel's upcoming chips(both CPU and GPU).

Have fun troll... Now that I just completely ripped your entire argment to shreds.

cuddlesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cuddlesofwar
Member since 2008 • 1138 Posts

AHHA Xbox 1080 is gonna be a beast.  2GB of RAM Minimum...And a GPU immensely more powerful than anything currently out.  And to think it will probably be announced at E3 which is only 7 months away...

GioVela2010

The GPU maybe more powerful then anything out ... as of now.

But by release it will be far outdated.

2GB isn't huge ...In 3 or 4 years when the 1080 is released, we'll see laptops with 8GB RAM minimum, as standard

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GioVela2010
[QUOTE="GioVela2010"]

cuddlesofwar

2GB isn't huge ...In 3 or 4 years when the 1080 is released, we'll see laptops with 8GB RAM minimum, as standard

Like I said 2GB minimum,  which is great when you don't have to run Vista :lol:

And what makes you think it will be fat outdated by the time it releases?  360's GPU surely wasn't "Far out dated" at release,  and 2 years before 360 released the most powerful card from ATI was a 9800 Pro. (example since we are 2 years away)

cuddlesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cuddlesofwar
Member since 2008 • 1138 Posts
[QUOTE="cuddlesofwar"][QUOTE="GioVela2010"]

GioVela2010

And what makes you think it will be fat outdated by the time it releases?  360's GPU surely wasn't "Far out dated" at release,  and 2 years before 360 released the most powerful card from ATI was a 9800 Pro. (example since we are 2 years away)

Sadly, im running Vista..

The rate od GPU adavncement is  speeding up all the time, with the newer card being outdated months after release.

The Xbox will have to be priced according to it's components, as unlike Sony, MS are  willing to take too much of a loss. Thinking that it will pack a GPE comparibale to a high level PC of the time is un realistic.

Id' say it GPU will be marginally better then the best GPU 2 years from now.

But im just making guesses here.

Richard7666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Richard7666
Member since 2007 • 286 Posts

"Next generation engines PC misses out"

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/38244/Mark-Rein-Clears-Up-Unreal-Engine-4-Rumors. You have been throughly disproved, my friend.

Also, what the hell is this about CryEngine3 (not that it will likely even be announced for years) being console-focused??? You just made that up, didn't you...

malikmmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 malikmmm
Member since 2003 • 2235 Posts

[QUOTE="xbox360isgr8t"]pc will always be ahead of consoles. consoles are great. but pc hardware grows daily and outdates daily. pc will have all those engines without a problem.nVidiaGaMer

Not ahead all the time. When the 360 launched it was more powerful then 95% of all home computers. Also PCs can't beat a console in price, power consumption, noise, amount of room it takes up, and longevity (PS2 almost 9 years and 360 looking for at least 5 years). My gaming PC I built in 2006 didn't even last a full 2 years and I spent $1000 building it. It had 7600GT, AMD 3800X2 CPU, 1GB RAM, 450 watt psu, and Soundblaster X-FI. I had to recently upgrade my gpu, psu, and RAM which costed over $250.

E]

how do you know did you came to my house or xbox360isgr8t house or did ya went to the house of 250 million pc gamers house to check the pc systems ?

nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nVidiaGaMer
[QUOTE="nVidiaGaMer"]

[QUOTE="xbox360isgr8t"]pc will always be ahead of consoles. consoles are great. but pc hardware grows daily and outdates daily. pc will have all those engines without a problem.malikmmm

Not ahead all the time. When the 360 launched it was more powerful then 95% of all home computers. Also PCs can't beat a console in price, power consumption, noise, amount of room it takes up, and longevity (PS2 almost 9 years and 360 looking for at least 5 years). My gaming PC I built in 2006 didn't even last a full 2 years and I spent $1000 building it. It had 7600GT, AMD 3800X2 CPU, 1GB RAM, 450 watt psu, and Soundblaster X-FI. I had to recently upgrade my gpu, psu, and RAM which costed over $250.

E]

how do you know did you came to my house or xbox360isgr8t house or did ya went to the house of 250 million pc gamers house to check the pc systems ?

Its from Gameinformer issue from December 2005.  

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
[QUOTE="agentfred"]

Also, Link?

Nameless-Hero

Your link says nothing about the CE3 doing the same. And don't tell me you think Epic will be better at the graphics tech department than Crytek.

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts

GioVela2010

That would certainly be nice.

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts
[QUOTE="GioVela2010"][QUOTE="cuddlesofwar"]

cuddlesofwar

Sadly, im running Vista..

The rate od GPU adavncement is  speeding up all the time, with the newer card being outdated months after release.

The Xbox will have to be priced according to it's components, as unlike Sony, MS are  willing to take too much of a loss. Thinking that it will pack a GPE comparibale to a high level PC of the time is un realistic.

Id' say it GPU will be marginally better then the best GPU 2 years from now.

But im just making guesses here.

Actually, Sony is the one taking a loss from their console this gen. They're probably happy to take the loss to increase Blu-Ray market penetration.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
[QUOTE="agentfred"]

Also, Link?

Nameless-Hero

unreal 4 might almost catch up to cry engine 2, cryengine 1 is still better overal than unreal 3 so I can't see what the big deal is. unreal engine are the worse engine every gen so who cares?

horrowhip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 horrowhip
Member since 2005 • 5002 Posts

With that epic failure of a PC WTF did you expect?

Seriously...

Did you buy the most expensive versions of all your components? Because even in 2006 I could have made that hunk of junk PC for less than $600....

Seriously...

Also, why does it matter if only a small percentage of people have the high end PC's, They still exist...

And so long as they exist, the PC is stronger and the consoles are outdated... That is how it works.

imprezawrx500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 imprezawrx500
Member since 2004 • 19187 Posts
[QUOTE="cuddlesofwar"][QUOTE="GioVela2010"]

GioVela2010

crysis take 1.2gb system ram and 512mb vram for itselft there goes all that 2gb

santeri_15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 santeri_15
Member since 2005 • 522 Posts
[QUOTE="SamiRDuran"][QUOTE="nVidiaGaMer"]

nVidiaGaMer

Facts are that it takes up less space and uses much less power then a high end/mid end PC (160 watts for 360 some graphics cards alone draw that much power).

The difference isn't all that huge: http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-356-2.htm

The article is a bit old, but still relevant.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 GioVela2010

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"][QUOTE="cuddlesofwar"]

imprezawrx500

oh please...Crysis will end up being a launch title for the next  Xbox...1080p native, max settings, and  60fpps.  Thanks for beta testing Hermits

Besides the next Xbox will probably be 4GB.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"][QUOTE="GioVela2010"]

GioVela2010

oh please...Crysis will end up being a launch title for the next  Xbox...1080p native, max settings, and  60fpps.  Thanks for beta testing Hermits

But i'm already doing that...

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 GioVela2010
[QUOTE="GioVela2010"]

[QUOTE="imprezawrx500"]

Bebi_vegeta

HAHA Funny,  good joke. 

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 agentfred

oh please...Crysis will end up being a launch title for the next Xbox...1080p native, max settings, and 60fpps. Thanks for beta testing HermitsGioVela2010

Why did you just make that up? It doesn't lend credibility to your argument, it only makes your viewpoint look more ridiculous.

If you were to provide factual evidence to support these wild claims, than maybe a civilized discussion could be had here. For now though, you are just raving about bogus information that you made up on the spot.

Why?

nVidiaGaMer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nVidiaGaMer
[QUOTE="nVidiaGaMer"]

[QUOTE="xbox360isgr8t"]pc will always be ahead of consoles. consoles are great. but pc hardware grows daily and outdates daily. pc will have all those engines without a problem.horrowhip

With that epic failure of a PC WTF did you expect?

Seriously...

Did you buy the most expensive versions of all your components? Because even in 2006 I could have made that hunk of junk PC for less than $600....

Seriously...

Also, why does it matter if only a small percentage of people have the high end PC's, They still exist...

And so long as they exist, the PC is stronger and the consoles are outdated... That is how it works.

I doubt that the 7600GT launched for $199 in early 2006 and was the best card in that range, 3800X2 was the cheapest dual core at $179, 1GB of RAM was $79, soundcard $100, psu $50, mobo $129 (ASUS SLI Deluxe), case was $50, harddrive $80, optical drive $35, operating system $100, and shipping was $50 from newegg.  And that totals to $1051.

I bet a mid end comp with a E7200, 2GB RAM, and a 9800GT will be dated in 2 years so it doesn't matter PC gaming ****s imo because of the constant upgrading required.  Consoles at least 5 years and PCs won't last that long. 

HeroOfCows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 HeroOfCows
Member since 2007 • 506 Posts
I don't know if any of you guys mentioned this, but I'm pretty sure that since Intel owns Offset Software, their engine is definitely not going to be console specific.
GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GioVela2010

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"]oh please...Crysis will end up being a launch title for the next Xbox...1080p native, max settings, and 60fpps. Thanks for beta testing Hermitsagentfred

Why did you just make that up? It doesn't lend credibility to your argument, it only makes your viewpoint look more ridiculous.

If you were to provide factual evidence to support these wild claims, than maybe a civilized discussion could be had here. For now though, you are just raving about bogus information that you made up on the spot.

Why?

I have inside information that I can't and that's all I can say at the moment.  I'll bump this when I can say more 

agentfred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 agentfred
[QUOTE="agentfred"]

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"]oh please...Crysis will end up being a launch title for the next Xbox...1080p native, max settings, and 60fpps. Thanks for beta testing HermitsGioVela2010

Why?

I have inside information that I can't and that's all I can say at the moment.  I'll bump this when I can say more

Well, you've convinced me.  You've now regained your credibility in my eyes.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts
[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"][QUOTE="GioVela2010"]

GioVela2010

HAHA Funny,  good joke...

Yeah... funny ...and this, is the intense benchmark.

stappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 stappy
Member since 2004 • 611 Posts
[QUOTE="GioVela2010"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Bebi_vegeta

Ooo, you got him there!
GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GioVela2010

[QUOTE="GioVela2010"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Bebi_vegeta

That's DX9 High Settings, and 40FPS :|

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#46 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
The pure lack of logic and reasoning, not to mention information of PC hardware, is very disturbing.
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

GioVela2010
Wow....so Xbox2 at launch will merely match 4 years old PC graphics? I guess you are trying to inform us Microsoft will be going Wii way :D
AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

thoughts

Nameless-Hero
:D Damn, it's been a long time I've seen so much nonsense stuffed into one mere post :D
mudman91878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mudman91878
Member since 2003 • 740 Posts

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"][QUOTE="GioVela2010"]

HAHA Funny, good joke...

GioVela2010

That's DX9 High Settings, and 40FPS :|

The average was 49 fps.  You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 49 and 60.  

You didn't say DX10.  Plus, you're just a biased consolite that knows nothing about PC gaming and it's obvious....move along and continue playing your games that are severely outdated. 

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#50 Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts
Third party publishers will license unreal engine 4 for their games. These games will then be cross platform on both consoles and PC.