New Gears of War 2 Preview - The Good and the Bad

• 141 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts
[QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]

Atleast resistance 2 is better, gears 2 is just gears 1. Who wants to ppay 60$ plus live fees, plus and HDD(if you dot have one) to play the same gme/.

WillieBeamish

Who wants to pay $60 for the sequel of an underwhelming first-person space alien shooter? I haven't seen a R2 video that didn't put me to sleep.

you COMPLETELY missed the point. RESISTANCE 2 IS BETTER. 8.6+ guaranteed.. AAA game.

JediRiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 JediRiff
Member since 2007 • 2159 Posts

[QUOTE="doobie1975"]if it aint broken, dont fix it.CubanBlunt

So why do people bash the Playstation controller,.....im just putting it out there.

That comes down, like games, to a matter of preference. The Playstation controller cant hold a candle the the 360 controller for me, because its too small of a controller, and doesnt fit in my hands nearly as comfortably.

GabeNewellsPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 GabeNewellsPie
Member since 2008 • 1147 Posts
[QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]

Atleast resistance 2 is better, gears 2 is just gears 1. Who wants to ppay 60$ plus live fees, plus and HDD(if you dot have one) to play the same gme/.

WillieBeamish

Who wants to pay $60 for the sequel of an underwhelming first-person space alien shooter? I haven't seen a R2 video that didn't put me to sleep.

Agreed.From what I've seen Resistance 2 looks even more dissapointing than the first one.Gears 2 will own.

tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 tmntPunchout
Member since 2007 • 3770 Posts
I knew it would be more of the same thing and someone argued to me against it saying little tweaks change the whole game. Anyways, all I wanted was essentially same game since campaign in the first one was so short and now me and my friends can coop in GeoW2 now!
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#56 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
[QUOTE="WillieBeamish"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]

Adrian_Cloud

you COMPLETELY missed the point. RESISTANCE 2 IS BETTER. 8.6+ guaranteed.. AAA game.

How can you claim one unreleased game is better than another.

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts
[QUOTE="GabeNewellsPie"][QUOTE="WillieBeamish"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]

carljohnson3456

Agreed.From what I've seen Resistance 2 looks even more dissapointing than the first one.Gears 2 will own.

:lol: GabeNewellsPie and WillieBeamish agreeing that Resistance 2 "looks terrible". Who'da thunk it???

LMAO I just noticed that.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#58 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts

GabeNewellsPie

How does R2 look more dissapointing than the first one??? Is it the better graphics? Better physics? Better game modes? Better enemies?

They've improved on the original in every way possible... there is no reason for anyone to think R2 looks worse than the original at this point from what we've all heard and seen. Unless of course, you're hoping it's going to be worse...

HappyAppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 HappyAppe
Member since 2003 • 1543 Posts

Gears of War perfected the over-the-shoulder run and gun gameplay. In my opinion, I think it was quite revolutionary in what it did. Evidence of this: a slew of games following in it's footsteps attempting to mimick that same style of play.

I stopped reading the preview after the first paragraph.

Adrian_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Adrian_Cloud
Member since 2006 • 7169 Posts
[QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]

SpruceCaboose

I do, for one. Since its not the same game.

i would atleast rent it first.. just to make sure.

tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 tmntPunchout

GabeNewellsPie

News flash...First one wasn't disappointing to most,

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts
[QUOTE="GabeNewellsPie"]

tmntPunchout

I am still planning on getting the first when I can find some free time and the game on the cheap, as I never did play it, and I want to give it a go.

GabeNewellsPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 GabeNewellsPie

tmntPunchout

Well it was for me.Going from playing Geow to Resistance made you see how poor it was next to Gears.

GabeNewellsPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 GabeNewellsPie

carljohnson3456

How does R2 look more dissapointing than the first one??? Is it the better graphics? Better physics? Better game modes? Better enemies?

They've improved on the original in every way possible... there is no reason for anyone to think R2 looks worse than the original at this point from what we've all heard and seen. Unless of course, you're hoping it's going to be worse...

Well it wasn't exactly hard to improve on the first one,was it? From what I've seen Resistance 2 still has a long way to go,until its able to compete with Gears.

tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 tmntPunchout
[QUOTE="tmntPunchout"][QUOTE="GabeNewellsPie"]

SpruceCaboose

I am still planning on getting the first when I can find some free time and the game on the cheap, as I never did play it, and I want to give it a go.

Honestly, it feels like a pretty generic shooter at first, but once you start getting the more interesting weapons and mobs of chimera start attacking instead of groups of 3-4, it gets pretty interesting. I don't think I finished the single player, only coop, since MP got my attention but it was far from disappointing. It had some of the best AI at its release too which is never a bad thing if you like a challenge.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#66 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30574 Posts
[QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]

WillieBeamish

agree....the game looks good but not fun at all

ONLYDOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#67 ONLYDOD
Member since 2006 • 6026 Posts

Flop confirmed :P

Just joking, don't grill me Gear heads.

Avatar image for carljohnson3456
carljohnson3456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#68 carljohnson3456
Member since 2007 • 12489 Posts
[QUOTE="carljohnson3456"][QUOTE="GabeNewellsPie"][QUOTE="WillieBeamish"][QUOTE="Adrian_Cloud"]

GabeNewellsPie

Well it wasn't exactly hard to improve on the first one,was it? From what I've seen Resistance 2 still has a long way to go,until its able to compete with Gears.

So now you acknowledge that R2 has improved over the first one... yet a few seconds ago you were saying it looks more dissapointing than the first? And then take a cheap shot saying it wasnt hard to improve on??? I dont think the first Resistance was too shabby at all, especially considering it was a launch title for a complicated machine like the PS3 (which ironically... Gabe Newell trashed publicly... hmmm)... an 8.6 isnt too shabby at all in reality, is it???

Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

Gears of War perfected the over-the-shoulder run and gun gameplay. In my opinion, I think it was quite revolutionary in what it did. Evidence of this: a slew of games following in it's footsteps attempting to mimick that same style of play.

I stopped reading the preview after the first paragraph.

HappyAppe

Except Gears mimicked RE4. Epic even says that it was a model for meachanics and inspiration. They did usher it into this generation though. I just think RE5 is going to show everyone how it's done :P

sam280992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 sam280992
Member since 2007 • 3754 Posts

Don't judge a game by the previews...

GabeNewellsPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 GabeNewellsPie

So now you acknowledge that R2 has improved over the first one... yet a few seconds ago you were saying it looks more dissapointing than the first? And then take a cheap shot saying it wasnt hard to improve on??? I dont think the first Resistance was too shabby at all, especially considering it was a launch title for a complicated machine like the PS3 (which ironically... Gabe Newell trashed publicly... hmmm)... an 8.6 isnt too shabby at all in reality, is it???

carljohnson3456

Just because it looks a little better doesn't mean it can't be more dissapointing.This isn't 2006 anymore,standards have changed,games like Halo 3 and GeoW have been released since then and moved the genre along,Resistance 2 doesn't seem to meet these expectaions from what I've seen.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72 II_Seraphim_II
Member since 2007 • 20534 Posts

Don't judge a game by the previews...

sam280992

as ridiculous as your statement sounds, its true :?

TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#73 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts

You will be flamed you posted the negatives now that is flame bait.

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#74 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts

They are complaining that there isn't some huge new leap with the cover system - what exactly were they expecting? It's one of the few aspects of Gears that was actually near-perfect and leaves little room for improvement.

I can speak to the corridor shooter comment, I'll have to play to find that out myself. The recent videos did seem a little more "boxed-in" then the the past environments, though.

tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 tmntPunchout
[QUOTE="carljohnson3456"]

GabeNewellsPie

Just because it looks a little better doesn't mean it can't be more dissapointing.This isn't 2006 anymore,standards have changed,games like Halo 3 and GeoW have been released since then and moved the genre along,Resistance 2 doesn't seem to meet these expectaions from what I've seen.

Then using your logic, that doesn't mean GeoW2 can't be disappointing as well. At it's core, it's the same game and like you said, standards have changed. So what changes are you really expecting from an FPS anyways? Also, Halo 3 has really moved the genre along except for multiplayer components, it was Halo 1 that did.

TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#76 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts
[QUOTE="carljohnson3456"]

GabeNewellsPie

despite your sig i agree.

hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 hopesfall2own
Member since 2008 • 2714 Posts
Anyone that says this game doesn't improve over the first is flat out wrong and ignorant. Fact.
CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

Adrian_Cloud

You need to stop spending money on video games and go to school. The preview is very whiney in my book, never heard of the site for that matter either so I'll wait for a reliable preview, he never said anything bad just it was more of the same..that is what you expect in a sequal.

6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 6matt6
Member since 2005 • 9726 Posts

Who the Hell are "Bit-Tech?"

Have never even heard of them.

RuprechtMonkey

I kind of trust smaller gamesites when it comes to negative previews. Rarely do I ever see anything negative coming from the big gamesites.

GabeNewellsPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 GabeNewellsPie
[QUOTE="GabeNewellsPie"][QUOTE="carljohnson3456"]

tmntPunchout

Then using your logic, that doesn't mean GeoW2 can't be disappointing as well. At it's core, it's the same game and like you said, standards have changed. So what changes are you really expecting from an FPS anyways? Also, Halo 3 has really moved the genre along except for multiplayer components, it was Halo 1 that did.

Well Halo 3 must have been pretty good,I mean it only got 9.5 :roll:

And Gears 2 doesn't have to be a huge leap forward from the first one,because unlike Resistance,the devs totally nailed the gameplay in GeoW and anything else in Gears 2 is a bonus.

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
i loved the first game, i still play till this day, being able to create a party= me happy
tmntPunchout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 tmntPunchout
[QUOTE="tmntPunchout"][QUOTE="GabeNewellsPie"][QUOTE="carljohnson3456"]

GabeNewellsPie

Well Halo 3 must have been pretty good,I mean it only got 9.5 :roll:

And Gears 2 doesn't have to be a huge leap forward from the first one,because unlike Resistance,the devs totally nailed the gameplay in GeoW and anything else in Gears 2 is a bonus.

I was just using your logic. I didn't put my own input other than saying Halo 3 didn't move the genre along. SHessh. And just because Halo scored a 9.5, doesn't mean it moved the genre along, it just means it's a good game. I also thought you said standards have changed but now you're saying GeoW2 doesn't need to change. Rarrr? I'm confused now, what exactly changed and didn't change then.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 II_Seraphim_II
Fanboy Wars! great sutff :D
JediRiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 JediRiff
[QUOTE="tmntPunchout"][QUOTE="GabeNewellsPie"]

SpruceCaboose

You should. Shock of shocks, here I am promoting a PS3 game, but yeah.... it was pretty fun. *I* liked it, anyways. :D

*EDIT* I am only referring to the campaign. I never played any of the multiplayer, so I dont know about that aspect of the game.

Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts

[QUOTE="doobie1975"]if it aint broken, dont fix it.Dreams-Visions
and this post wins the thread.

No it doesn't. Thats nothing more than damage control, giving Epic a pass for apparently resting on their laurels instead of attempting to innovate and expand on the original Gears of War with Gears 2.

Resistance wasn't broken (haters hold your tongues), in fact it was a deeper multiplayer shooter than Gears, and yet IG has put forth a ridiculous amount of effort to make Resistance 2 significantly better. There are a variety of ways to significantly improve a game without changing the core of the game which made it so successful in the first place.

Avatar image for BeanTownBrown86
BeanTownBrown86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 BeanTownBrown86
Member since 2005 • 3654 Posts
so basically its the same game? just "bigger, badder and more badass"
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Cloud_Insurance

Well it was for me.Going from playing Geow to Resistance made you see how poor it was next to Gears.

GabeNewellsPie

lol, have you even played Resistance?

JediRiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 JediRiff

[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="doobie1975"]if it aint broken, dont fix it.Cloud_Insurance

No it doesn't. Thats nothing more than damage control, giving Epic a pass for apparently resting on their laurels instead of attempting to innovate and expand on the original Gears of War with Gears 2.

Resistance wasn't broken (haters hold your tongues), in fact it was a deeper multiplayer shooter than Gears, and yet IG has put forth a ridiculous amount of effort to make Resistance 2 significantly better. There are a variety of ways to significantly improve a game without changing the core of the game which made it so successful in the first place.

Yes, it does. If they drastically changed the gameplay, it wouldnt be Gears anymore. How is that a good thing? They have apparently fleshed out the campaign story more, have tweaked things, given more environments and executions, and added more "toys" to kill each other with.... where is the fallacy in that????

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Dante2710

[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="doobie1975"]if it aint broken, dont fix it.Cloud_Insurance

resistance mp deep? lol dont make me laugh man
JediRiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 JediRiff
[QUOTE="GabeNewellsPie"]

Cloud_Insurance

lol, have you even played Resistance?

I have. I wont bang on Resistance, because it was an enjoyable game... however, it paled next to Gears, for me. Gears just had alot more exciting and intense moments.

II_Seraphim_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 II_Seraphim_II
[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]

[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="doobie1975"]if it aint broken, dont fix it.Dante2710

Yeah im with Dante here. While Resistance MP was fun, in no way was it deep. It was very basic but fun nonetheless. If you want deep, play sum Warhawk :D

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Dante2710

Yeah im with Dante here. While Resistance MP was fun, in no way was it deep. It was very basic but fun nonetheless. If you want deep, play sum Warhawk :D

II_Seraphim_II
warhawk was indeed very fun, i`ll give it a go some other day, but i wanna play the resistance 2 beta first
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Cloud_Insurance

[QUOTE="Dreams-Visions"][QUOTE="doobie1975"]if it aint broken, dont fix it.Dante2710

Ah, another poster that hasn't played Resistance. Compared to Gears, the first Resistance had:

more multiplayer gametypes

more maps

more weapons

2 different races with distinct advantages/disadvantages

more potential players per match (up to 40)

So um, how exactly was Gears multiplayer deeper than Resistance again?

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#94 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

That preview simple smacks of a guy expecting all the wrong things. It's been made in less than two years since the original, yet he complains that they havent completely overhauled the cover system? Why would they? What was wrong with it? Why is he saying it's a corridor shooter as if that makes it a bad game? Is BioShock not a corridor shooter? :?

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Dante2710

Ah, another poster that hasn't played Resistance. Compared to Gears, the first Resistance had:

more maps

more weapons

Cloud_Insurance
when did i say gears had a deep mp? :| resistance doesnt have a deep mp, you dont know what a deep mp is anyways, and dont assume stuff, i have played gears :| tf2 > resistance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Cloud_Insurance

Yes, it does. If they drastically changed the gameplay, it wouldnt be Gears anymore. How is that a good thing? They have apparently fleshed out the campaign story more, have tweaked things, given more environments and executions, and added more "toys" to kill each other with.... where is the fallacy in that????

JediRiff

Thats why I said in my first post:

"There are a variety of ways to significantly improve a game without changing the core of the game which made it so successful in the first place."

Look at all the new features/improvements in Resistance 2. Its pretty damn significant. And yet, the gameplay is the same.

I expect more than "tweeks" in a sequel. So far, I haven't seen it from Gears 2. Sure, its possible the devs have done more for the sequel than what has been released. But as of right now, the improvements/changes are not looking that impressive...especially when compared to Resistance 2.

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Ninja-Hippo

more maps

more weapons

Cloud_Insurance

"Deep" is entirely subjective. You could easily argue that Gears had a fairly unique set up of small teams fighting over tight spaces; it forced strategy and team work, especially thanks to the no respawns. I'm not hating on resistance at all, i'm just saying i'd have to disagree with you to write off Gears' multiplayer in favour of it. They're both simply shooters with online modes, at the end of the day.

As for Epic being lazy, i dont understand why Resistance is being seen as such an epic advancement over the first. It isn't massively improved graphically, and i honestly cant see what all the fuss is about. What exactly have they added? More players online? Huge bosses? That's the innovation and expansion you're bragging about?

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Ninja-Hippo

Look at all the new features/improvements in Resistance 2. Its pretty damn significant. And yet, the gameplay is the same.

Cloud_Insurance

Like what? What are the "pretty damn significant" changes?

Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Cloud_Insurance

more maps

more weapons

Dante2710

when did i say gears had a deep mp? :| resistance doesnt have a deep mp, you dont know what a deep mp is anyways, and dont assume stuff, i have played gears :| tf2 > resistance

lol, um tf2 has nothing to do with anything. Why are you talking about a CLASS BASED FPS in a thread about Gears and Resistance?

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Ninja-Hippo

lol, um tf2 has nothing to do with anything. Why are you talking about a CLASS BASED FPS in a thread about Gears and Resistance?

Cloud_Insurance

He's just giving an example of a multiplayer game which actually is deep. Because resistance aint one of them. Halo 3, TF2 and Battlefield are very "deep" multiplayer games.