NEW Crysis Article and Screenshots! Contender for GOTY Confirmed! 56K

• 170 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

User Lists: 0

#1 dgsag
Member since 2005 • 6760 Posts

Here's the link.

Just some random snipets:

Awesome.

That means they've had to make your task exponentially harder to compensate, of course. This time you're taking on whole armies, fleets of vehicles, aliens the size of volcanoes and stranger things still. The resulting conflict is action of a higher order of magnitude. Every ten seconds something explodes, and a Crysis explosion is a hell of a thing to see.

Where's teh gameplay?:(

Yes, you can pick up, throw and even beat people with live chickens. You can pick up, throw and beat people with anything smaller than a car, and in this we include wheelbarrows, spades, tree trunks, grown men and even most of a car. At one point in our playtest we shot a man's helmet off, caught it, beat him to the ground with it, shot him again and dropped it on his body. Anything smaller than a tree can be held in your left hand while you fire with your right, even when you're using an assault rifle or shotgun, so alternating between bonging people with a spade and shooting them in the face is seamless. They even encourage you to beat people when they're down by introducing a chance that a fallen soldier will get back up if you don't. This, again, is what a game should be about.

I need an uber-computer to even run it!:cry:

Every sane person is wondering how all this is going to run on their system. We asked Cevat Yerli, Crytek CEO, what gamers with a limited budget should buy to make sure they can play Crysis well, and his first answer was two gigs of RAM. The single gig most of us have is going to struggle with environments of this size, and with this much smashable stuff to keep track of. Next on the shopping list is, predictably, a GeForce 8800 - but the GTS model in that range is fairly affordable, and not a huge step down from the GTX. The surprising part is that Cevat says a Core 2 Duo E6600 processor ($300 nowadays) is enough to run Crysis on Ultra High settings with that setup. That chip is likely to undergo another price drop before Crysis comes out, too, so don't rush

Teh AIs worse than Halo!@1!2 :?

A big part of the reason for that is that the AI has to understand that a fallen chunk of tree is cover. It has to deal with and exploit an environment that can dramatically change with every gunshot. When they first implemented this, Senior Game Designer Bernd Diemer discovered that he could grab a fallen tree and hold it in front of him to become completely invisible to the AI. This tactic is frowned upon in the real military as unsporting, so it had to be tactfully explained to the AI that a walking tree is deeply suspicious.

Aliens are rip-off of matrix, war of the worlds, etc...

The temperature theme runs throughout everything about the aliens: they're actually blind to everything except the infra-red spectrum. That means if you're standing right by something that's on fire, you're almost invisible to them. But even if you're crouching in the darkest corner, you're lit up like a firework unless you're using your suit's Cloak mode to bring your surface temperature down

The game will be short! :cry:

But despite the enormous amount of effort that went into the destructibility system, Crytek don't consider it the most important feature of their futuristic new engine. That, they say, is the sheer size of the areas it can chuck around. Far Cry let you boat around huge rolling vistas before picking an angle of approach, but Crysis levels are bigger still; the one we played - the third mission of the game - takes two and a half hours to complete.

What are teh action bubbles?

Levels are divided up into what Crytek call "action bubbles:" areas with a high density of enemies that would constitute levels in a lesser game, such as a barracks or a Korean-occupied plantation. In Crysis, these are connected in ways they couldn't be if they were separate levels: if the soldiers in one camp have time to contact the others to call for reinforcements before you take them out, jeeps and choppers will cart fresh meat in from one to the other. You could even use that to your advantage, sneaking round a camp and attacking it quickly before moving on to the next, so that troops leave your real objective to protect the other. It's Far Cry writ large, a more complex equation and a more engrossing experience altogether.

The indoor will suck like Far Cry! :cry:

It's also more consistent. Crytek is painfully aware that the indoor sections of Far Cry were banal and unworthy of the rest of the game, so you're outdoors for almost the entirety of Crysis. Even when you are indoors, they've built every interior around what they call their "veni vidi vici" philosophy: you come, you see the whole area, then you choose how to go about conquering it. Tight corridors and linear paths don't let you do that, so they've done away with them completely. All of which raises the question - do they have any idea how crappy the last few levels of Far Cry were? They do. When we asked Cevat Yerli how he felt about them, he used the word "horrible" three times in one sentence. He admits they were rushed to get the game out before Doom 3 and Half-Life 2, and they were considered the least important sections since the fewest players would reach them. But the betrayal of their principles clearly still pains the developers, and they've paid particular attention to Crysis' final section to make it up to us.

It's just random shooting and the horror sections won't be scary! :cry:

It plays out almost entirely inside the alien craft, in zero gravity. The challenge was to create a situation that would raise the intensity and difficulty, but without compromising the veni-vidi-vici approach. They want scares, but they refuse to script them the way Doom 3 does. If you do that, Cevat points out, the game's the same every time you play, and completely un-frightening after the first play-through. And Crytek games are built to be replayed to death.

The solution is what Cevat calls "systematic horror." The mothership is designed without a sense of up or down, and is riddled with nooks and crannies. So even though you can see the whole area before you float into it, you're constantly going to be - shall we say "surprised" - by things springing out at you from angles you didn't think to check. He says this part won't be complete until it's so traumatic that playtesters can't get through it in one go without needing a break to recover. And for many, that's already the case.

I think that answers all the doubts console sheep had about Crysis. Halo 3 be better than this? I don't think so.

And what Crysis preview will be complete without new screenshots? :)

Multiplayer:

Guor_ok_Gondul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Guor_ok_Gondul
Member since 2007 • 432 Posts
8800's have come way down, am just afraid that the 9000's will be out soon and i will be wasting 600 on an SLI setup for just this game.
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dgsag

8800's have come way down, am just afraid that the 9000's will be out soon and i will be wasting 600 on an SLI setup for just this game.Guor_ok_Gondul

9800 or 8800 refresh series will be out in November. NVIDIA now refreshes their high-end yearly.

Newnab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Newnab
Member since 2006 • 3081 Posts
Crysis is certainely an impressive game. No one can really dispute that. I don't want it really though. I wasn't a fan of Far Cry and they do seem very very similar to me. Plus... To get MY computer running that would take a considerable amount of money I just dont have.
mavven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#5 mavven
Member since 2005 • 560 Posts
Mmmmm...nice;)
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
That sure sounds amazing. I wonder if this will actually generate a new "generation" of fps. Most fps nowadays are pretty much the same with the same basic concepts. Painfully little has changed between a halo CE 6 years ago and fps nowadays. I hope crysis does something about this.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts
*faints*
Much love for Crytek making this game.
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dgsag

*faints*
Much love for Crytek making this game.Lto_thaG

Indeed, looks to improve on everythign that was wrong about Far Cry, which got 9.2...

11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]*faints*
Much love for Crytek making this game.dgsag

Indeed, looks to improve on everythign that was wrong about Far Cry, which got 9.2...

Well, that statement on its own doesn't say much, because halo 2 also improved on everything what's wrong with halo CE which got a 9.7. There's no saying if they make new mistakes or if standards influence the score too much.

Your original post gives me some assurance though. :P

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dgsag
[QUOTE="dgsag"]

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]*faints*
Much love for Crytek making this game.11Marcel

Well, that statement on its own doesn't say much, because halo 2 also improved on everything what's wrong with halo CE which got a 9.7. There's no saying if they make new mistakes or if standards influence the score too much.

Your original post gives me some assurance though. :P

The single player was a massive let-down compared to the first, that's why it scored lower.

tramp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tramp
Member since 2003 • 2110 Posts

I liked this part teh bestest!

"Yes, you can pick up, throw and even beat people with live chickens. You can pick up, throw and beat people with anything smaller than a car, and in this we include wheelbarrows, spades, tree trunks, grown men and even most of a car. At one point in our playtest we shot a man's helmet off, caught it, beat him to the ground with it, shot him again and dropped it on his body. "

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lto_thaG

I liked this part teh bestest!

"Yes, you can pick up, throw and even beat people with live chickens. You can pick up, throw and beat people with anything smaller than a car, and in this we include wheelbarrows, spades, tree trunks, grown men and even most of a car. At one point in our playtest we shot a man's helmet off, caught it, beat him to the ground with it, shot him again and dropped it on his body. "

tramp

yea,sounds great,I saw a video where he was throwing bananas.This game is crazy.
turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 turgore
Member since 2006 • 7859 Posts
That is amazing... umm...since it's published by EA do you think it might go to Mac ? Just wondering (i don't like Macs btw)
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 dgsag

That is amazing... umm...since it's published by EA do you think it might go to Mac ? Just wondering (i don't like Macs btw)turgore

I doubt it. Macs don't have as big a gaming population and are harder to upgrade. Maybe a year or two down the line.

Teymen_Polat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Teymen_Polat
Member since 2004 • 198 Posts
im glad the makers of this game are turkish
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dgsag

im glad the makers of this gameare turkishTeymen_Polat

german?

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Lto_thaG
im glad the makers of this game are turkishTeymen_Polat

Aren't they germans,correct me if I'm wrong.
Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts
Hype meter set at maximum :D
Teymen_Polat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Teymen_Polat
Member since 2004 • 198 Posts

[QUOTE="Teymen_Polat"]im glad the makers of this game are turkishLto_thaG

Aren't they germans,correct me if I'm wrong.

the guy has a turkish name Cevat Yerli

damnpapi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 damnpapi
Member since 2005 • 81 Posts
Wow i love my PS3 but this game will blow the consoles out of the water without a doubt! for now at least :o
Jagazaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jagazaar
Member since 2007 • 1023 Posts
Wow......normally I'm pretty apathetic about FPSs (mostly they all seem the same to me, with some exceptions), but if this game lives up to its hype, I'd be more than willing to make an exception. I also love taking an immature attitude towards my games, so the ability to beat people with stuff like chickens is something I'd likely get a real kick out of, especially if you can do it in multiplayer. I can just see a bunch of themed mods being made for the game with such mentalities in mind......:D
Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts

8800's have come way down, am just afraid that the 9000's will be out soon and i will be wasting 600 on an SLI setup for just this game.Guor_ok_Gondul

Theres no reason to run 8800s of any stripe in SLI at this point unless benchmarking is a hobby of yours, one GTS, GTX, or for that matter Ultra will ravage pretty much any game out there.

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dgsag

[QUOTE="Guor_ok_Gondul"]8800's have come way down, am just afraid that the 9000's will be out soon and i will be wasting 600 on an SLI setup for just this game.Runningflame570

Theres no reason to run 8800s of any stripe in SLI at this point unless benchmarking is a hobby of yours, one GTS, GTX, or for that matter Ultra will ravage pretty much any game out there.

Very true, its one of the best video cards I've ever owned, right up there with the Radeon 9700.

cyprus646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#24 cyprus646
Member since 2004 • 4070 Posts
See this is what I mean by when a new Crysis screenshot or article is published some hermits make a thread out of it and hype is GOTY or AAA. Im not saying this game is bad but I mean cmon it's not the holy grail of FPS. In the back of my mind im hoping this game flops with like an 8.8 or something (not saying the games horrible just not TEH REVOLUTIONARY FPS OF ALL TIME!!11!)
Rhys555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 Rhys555
Member since 2005 • 2156 Posts
wtf, is crysis on 360? :shock:
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dgsag

wtf, is crysis on 360? :shock:Rhys555

Mis-link. This article was taken from PC Gamer UK.

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dgsag

See this is what I mean by when a new Crysis screenshot or article is published some hermits make a thread out of it and hype is GOTY or AAA. Im not saying this game is bad but I mean cmon it's not the holy grail of FPS. In the back of my mind im hoping this game flops with like an 8.8 or something (not saying the games horrible just not TEH REVOLUTIONARY FPS OF ALL TIME!!11!)cyprus646

Still reeling about Zelda, are we?

Avatar image for Luigi_Vincetana
Luigi_Vincetana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Luigi_Vincetana
Member since 2004 • 7389 Posts
I can't wait. This is pretty much the only FPS I've ever been excited for (The only other FPS I was excited for was MPH, but that's because I though it would actually play more like it's GCN counterparts.)
Rhys555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Rhys555
Member since 2005 • 2156 Posts

[QUOTE="Rhys555"]wtf, is crysis on 360? :shock:dgsag

Mis-link. This article was taken from PC Gamer UK.

ah, man i was about to disown it.

Seriously though, crysis = pure ownage.

Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts

(not saying the games horrible just not TEH REVOLUTIONARY FPS OF ALL TIME!!11!)cyprus646

I'm not sure I've heard anybody say that..that title probably goes to Wolfenstein 3D, Quake, or Duke Nukem 3D IMO.

Kestastrophe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kestastrophe
Member since 2005 • 4354 Posts

Seriously though, crysis = pure ownage.

Rhys555

Yup

cyprus646

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32 cyprus646
Member since 2004 • 4070 Posts

[QUOTE="cyprus646"]See this is what I mean by when a new Crysis screenshot or article is published some hermits make a thread out of it and hype is GOTY or AAA. Im not saying this game is bad but I mean cmon it's not the holy grail of FPS. In the back of my mind im hoping this game flops with like an 8.8 or something (not saying the games horrible just not TEH REVOLUTIONARY FPS OF ALL TIME!!11!)dgsag

Actually I never cared that zelda got an 8.8 Im just saying if crysis flops then all these stupid GOTY contender AAA status thread's were basically pointless.Just like the LOZ :TP threads. I just dont like that hermits jump all over someone who hates on crysis but or say haze looks good it's like the think crysis is the only game out there and nothing can ever compete.
Metroid_Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Metroid_Time
Member since 2006 • 2225 Posts
It was confirmed a contender many many months ago. Now I would say it's confirmed for GOTY in my eyes. It just sounds so wonderful with the contrast of levels: lush rainforests, unforgiving frost areas and unkown and frightening alien structures. Perfect. I also heard this was a trilogy? I'm sure they could keep the same engine for all three games and no one would mind.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lto_thaG
The sweet thing is that Crysis will become a Trilogy so there will be a 2nd one and a 3rd one.
Got this info of a DVD that came with a gamemagazine.
Metroid_Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Metroid_Time

The sweet thing is that Crysis will become a Trilogy so there will be a 2nd one and a 3rd one.
Got this info of a DVD that came with a gamemagazine.Lto_thaG

Jake Dunn could be the new Gordan Freeman in an epic trilogy.

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dgsag

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]The sweet thing is that Crysis will become a Trilogy so there will be a 2nd one and a 3rd one.
Got this info of a DVD that came with a gamemagazine.Metroid_Time

If Crytek manages to pull off everything they've promised, I will enjoy this game even more than Half-life 2.

Metroid_Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Metroid_Time
[QUOTE="Metroid_Time"]

[QUOTE="Lto_thaG"]The sweet thing is that Crysis will become a Trilogy so there will be a 2nd one and a 3rd one.
Got this info of a DVD that came with a gamemagazine.dgsag

If Crytek manages to pull off everything they've promised, I will enjoy this game even more than Half-life 2.

Heh I loved Far Cry and it seems like a tech demo compared to Crysis.

tool_rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tool_rage
Member since 2005 • 756 Posts

:D I can play on ultra high.

I wonder how much dx10 will improve things.

Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lto_thaG

:D I can play on ultra high.

I wonder how much dx10 will improve things.

tool_rage

check out this link,DX10 does a lot.
http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9550
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
OMG I can't wait. All of the parts of my new computer have come in today, except for the case (which is kind of an important part). I have a 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 2 gbs of ram, and a 8800GTS 640mb sitting here just waiting to be used for Crysis.
Metroid_Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Metroid_Time

OMG I can't wait. All of the parts of my new computer have come in today, except for the case (which is kind of an important part). I have a 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 2 gbs of ram, and a 8800GTS 640mb sitting here just waiting to be used for Crysis.Wasdie

Forget about the case just stick all the parts in a fish tank and fill it up with mineral oil.

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts

OMG I can't wait. All of the parts of my new computer have come in today, except for the case (which is kind of an important part). I have a 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 2 gbs of ram, and a 8800GTS 640mb sitting here just waiting to be used for Crysis.Wasdie

why dont you just suspend everything in mid air with wires....lol

Forza_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Forza_2
Member since 2007 • 3083 Posts

To TC: Can you hype a game without bashing others ? You look like an angry fanboy with all those sarcastic funny-wannabe quotes.

PS: What did you hype MotorStorm again ??

tool_rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tool_rage
Member since 2005 • 756 Posts

I wonder how much it'll change Crysis.

If it's this much of a difference:

DirectX 9

DirectX 10

I'll have to go Vista.

cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 cobrax75

and a new picture of the editor.

looks pretty simple and easy to use.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]OMG I can't wait. All of the parts of my new computer have come in today, except for the case (which is kind of an important part). I have a 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 2 gbs of ram, and a 8800GTS 640mb sitting here just waiting to be used for Crysis.cobrax75

Why would you do that?
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 cobrax75
[QUOTE="cobrax75"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]OMG I can't wait. All of the parts of my new computer have come in today, except for the case (which is kind of an important part). I have a 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo E6600, 2 gbs of ram, and a 8800GTS 640mb sitting here just waiting to be used for Crysis.smokeydabear076

Why would you do that?

it was a joke.

shadow8585

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 shadow8585
Member since 2006 • 2947 Posts
People just saw the graphics originally and said "GOTY!!!!"...it will be an above average shooter with great graphics, nothing more nothing less. I'll have more fun hosting 16 man Halo 3 LAN's by far
Harbadakus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Harbadakus
Member since 2005 • 5474 Posts

I wonder how much it'll change Crysis.

If it's this much of a difference:

DirectX 9

DirectX 10

I'll have to go Vista.

tool_rage
Well, that second image isn't actually DirectX 10, it's a mock up(photoshopped DX9 pic) of what it might look like if utilised properly in FSX.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
[QUOTE="dgsag"]

[QUOTE="cyprus646"]See this is what I mean by when a new Crysis screenshot or article is published some hermits make a thread out of it and hype is GOTY or AAA. Im not saying this game is bad but I mean cmon it's not the holy grail of FPS. In the back of my mind im hoping this game flops with like an 8.8 or something (not saying the games horrible just not TEH REVOLUTIONARY FPS OF ALL TIME!!11!)cyprus646

Actually I never cared that zelda got an 8.8 Im just saying if crysis flops then all these stupid GOTY contender AAA status thread's were basically pointless.Just like the LOZ :TP threads. I just dont like that hermits jump all over someone who hates on crysis but or say haze looks good it's like the think crysis is the only game out there and nothing can ever compete.

Zelda TP brought nothing really interesting the the zelda games other than horsecombat , and "wii innovation", the difference is this is a technical marvel for this point in the generation.