Neil Druckmann will do more movie-games, next game is structured "more like a TV show"

• 134 results
uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59329 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: People back in 2000 complaining they were playing as an effeminate man. Now complaining about a burly, manly woman. It's like poetry or something, they rhyme.

Could be gamers are homophobic as ****, to the point Valve deliberately designed Halflife monsters at the time to look like gay sex acts to get a repulsive response from teenagers and that very little has changed. But i'm an optimist.

ngl though, do hate these "Finally GAMING HAS GROWN UP! BLA BLA BLA citizen bla bla" dumbasses.

It's like you were saying, apparently the aspiration of gaming isn't to be a game but to emulate movies.

Can understand movie influence, not necessarily a bad thing. Look at any top tier game, chances are influenced by movies. But if this is the pinnacle them off to live in the 90s.

KathaarianCode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#102 KathaarianCode
Member since 2022 • 3505 Posts

@hardwenzen: Abyzilla It's pretty funny.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46652 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Dooo dooo DUUUU dododod doooo doooo do do dooooooo do do do Dooooo doooooo do do DOOOOOOOOO dodododdododoDOOOO DOOOO

Dunooo doooo dooo doo dododoo

I forgot just how good gaming was before we had pompous writers and big name actors that have no place in good games, whatsoever, thanks for reminding me.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 R4gn4r0k
@ConanTheStoner said:

Damn, that MGS2 trailer was so sick for its time. But yeah, the aftermath lol.

Though a sequel that carves a logical path forward, yet isn't a retread, subverts expectation, is willing to pull the rug and make the player uncomfortable? NOT MY ART!

Or even better: how dare gamers criticise something that was put out to subvert expectations yet:

- Plays the exact same as its predessor with the exact same combat, fighting the exact same enemies

- Introduces a new character that is badly written but kills off an exisiting liked character just to make the player feel something

- Stands and falls entirely on Druckmanns writing, which I personally do not think is as good as everyone else seems to think

I liked TLOU 2 purely because its gameplay is more of the same, purely because exploring the world that other Naughty Dog artists have made was beautiful and engrossing.

I do not consider it art because Druckmann is a poopy writer that everyone seems to glorify. Just like I think the Marvel Cinematic Universe has very poopy writers, yet every time I look another Marvel movie managed to gross 800+ million dollars

Woop-dee fucking doo.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#105 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23727 Posts
@uninspiredcup said:

@ConanTheStoner: People back in 2000 complaining they were playing as an effeminate man. Now complaining about a burly, manly woman. It's like poetry or something, they rhyme.

I never even considered that, hilarious lol.

Yeah, think TLOU2 brought out the phobes of all types. Lots of room temp IQ identity "politics" bickering. As with a lot of entertainment today, the more nuanced criticisms are typically drowned out by people shouting about dumb shit. Was watching Rings of Power, not a fan at all. Went online for confirmation bias to see what others think. Holy shit lol.

Obviously not throwing all TLOU2 critics in with that crowd, have seen plenty of critiques with merit.

-

On the movie bit, yeah. Plenty of my gaming favs obviously pulling inspiration. Even going back to gamey af classics of the 90s.

But now we're at this point where it's like a lot of gamers seem like they're ashamed of playing games, likewise studios embarrassed to make them.

It's funny, I remember when I was much younger, thought how cool it would be if games got closer to being like movies. Nope, turn it around, please stop.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 ConanTheStoner
@R4gn4r0k said:

Or even better: how dare gamers criticise

Didn't say you can't. Matter of fact, specifically said it's not above criticism, though should really go without saying.

@R4gn4r0k said:

- Plays the exact same as its predessor with the exact same combat, fighting the exact same enemies

What?

@R4gn4r0k said:

I do not consider it art because Druckmann is a poopy writer that everyone seems to glorify.

Well I'm certainly not doing that man.

As an aside, saying something is or isn't art, based on whether you like or not, seems a bit silly. Bad art exists. Art you won't like exists.

-

Damn Ragnarock, this topic has you all out of character lol.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By R4gn4r0k

@ConanTheStoner: It's not me, man. As soon as I criticise a person or game that's being glorified a lot of people just like putting their fingers in their ears and go "lalalala it's not true, I can't hear you"

It's hard to have a conversation about topics these days. I swear to god. As soon as you say something bad, and there is bad stuff to be said (like all of Abby's flashback scenes contain retconning or leave a lot of holes) you get called sexist, homophobic, etc etc and it's just very hard to have a conversation about these topics.

At least you were all grown up about it, not calling things or people poopy; I dig that!

Also here is a funny meme about art:

Hope that is more in character for me :)

ENI232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 ENI232
Member since 2020 • 1007 Posts

I dont know if some of you understand that these types of video games use cut scenes to tie the story better. It's a genre in the video game industry. It is a different type of video game from a pac man or Mario or Pokemon or zelda. Although it can be overused like in mgs4 for example but I don't see many games overuse it.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 ConanTheStoner

@R4gn4r0k:

That's the Ragnarock I know!

Yeah man, people can be shitty to each other in gaming discourse. Guilty of it myself, though I try to be more chill these days.

Add in something that's ripe for culture wars though, and yeah, unfortunately people are quick to assume on either side of the fence. Some topics I all out avoid, because even if I don't cosign with a certain idea or group, might just get lumped in anyways. Things like nuance, understanding intent, increasingly hard to come by. Easier to sit back and watch tribes go at it.

-

On the games/art bit, personally don't care either way. Little interest in the "what is art" convo.

Do think it's a pick a lane thing though. If someone thinks of games as art, then they all are. If Shadow of the Colossus is art, so is Call of Duty.

It's like how some people rage about Thomas Kinkade paintings not being art. Disagree. Might not be my thing, commercialized af to boot, but still art all the same.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#110  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58505 Posts

These games are not meant for us. They're meant for the folks that play COD or Halo 90% of the time and want a break.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@ConanTheStoner said:

But now we're at this point where it's like a lot of gamers seem like they're ashamed of playing games, likewise studios embarrassed to make them.

Well, yeah, the video game industry seems to have an inferiority complex. I would say it dates back to the times when video games were seen as children's toys like legos or Hot Wheels cars. At the time, games were meant to solely entertain and not much else.

Later on when we became able to make games that were genuinely artful, there was still resistance over their merit as a medium with guys such as Roger Ebert scoffing at the notion that video games could be art. This was further exacerbated by the older folks who didn't grow up with them and simply saw them as something that kids wasted their time on.

Fast forward to this day, many are still trying to legitimize games as an art form and want to be taken as seriously as books or movies. They piss and moan when outsiders dismiss games as nothing more than shallow entertainment and try desperately to get validated by guys in Hollywood.

Funnily enough, this behavior reminds me of kids wanting to be perceived as adults who avoided doing "kiddy" things such as gaming. You've probably seen it yourself like when back then, publishers were pushing for M-rated games and kids only wanted that. The cool ones played violent and mature games, not kiddy stuff like Mario or Pokémon. The irony of course was that Mario and Pokémon absolutely shat on most of those M-rated games which were often utter trash. Then these kids outgrew caring about other people's perception of them and embraced the stuff aimed at a younger audience. Kinda like a 13-year-old wouldn't be caught dead playing with legos but a 40-year-old will pester everyone to look at their 12,000-piece Millenium Falcon.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 R4gn4r0k

@Juub1990 said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

Well, yeah, the video game industry seems to have an inferiority complex. I would say it dates back to the times when video games were seen as children's toys like legos or Hot Wheels cars. At the time, games were meant to solely entertain and not much else.

Later on when we became able to make games that were genuinely artful, there was still resistance over their merit as a medium with guys such as Roger Ebert scoffing at the notion that video games could be art. This was further exacerbated by the older folks who didn't grow up with them and simply saw them as something that kids wasted their time on.

Fast forward to this day, many are still trying to legitimize games as an art form and want to be taken as seriously as books or movies. They piss and moan when outsiders dismiss games as nothing more than shallow entertainment and try desperately to get validated by guys in Hollywood.

Funnily enough, this behavior reminds me of kids wanting to be perceived as adults who avoided doing "kiddy" things such as gaming. You've probably seen it yourself like when back then, publishers were pushing for M-rated games and kids only wanted that. The cool ones played violent and mature games, not kiddy stuff like Mario or Pokémon. The irony of course was that Mario and Pokémon absolutely shat on most of those M-rated games which were often utter trash. Then these kids outgrew caring about other people's perception of them and embraced the stuff aimed at a younger audience. Kinda like a 13-year-old wouldn't be caught dead playing with legos but a 40-year-old will pester everyone to look at their 12,000-piece Millenium Falcon.

Back in the late 80s and all throughout the 90s we had simplistic graphics. Games were seen as kiddy in the eyes of a lot of adults or people out of the loop, but a lot of these games were deep and offered meaningful gameplay.

Flash forward to today and we have hyper realistic graphics, games looking kiddy or simplistic is no longer a factor, but now we have either games that try super hard to be exactly like a B-tier TV show along with passable writing and a ton of actors. And secondly we have games like A Plague Tale requiem, that have insane looking graphics but offer no exploration or diverging paths. The game is a prime example of wide as an ocean, deep as a puddle.

And as graphics keep improving, I see more and more games just going for the ultra linear route. With barely any input required, other than the player pushing the forward button.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23995 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: Yeah, TLOUp1 was predictable, to anyone who has seen any similar movies that inspired it in the past. TLOUp2 however, often put players in a position to make the player uncomfortable and challenged expectations.

I am not a big fan of either, but... TLOUp2 had more artistic merit than the predecessor.

But gamers have shown themselves to possess a really thin skin. Just look at some of the criticism aimed at Disco Elysium. Which is a game which will criticize you no matter what you do.

@Pedro said:

Until this thread, I didn't realize how delicate some gamers are toward strong women games.😂

Seen it since people whined about Zarya.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44277 Posts

Mangy, what a bunch of hipster doofus going on here.

lol :P

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Maroxad
@uninspiredcup said:

Could be gamers are homophobic as ****, to the point Valve deliberately designed Halflife monsters at the time to look like gay sex acts to get a repulsive response from teenagers and that very little has changed. But i'm an optimist.

ngl though, do hate these "Finally GAMING HAS GROWN UP! BLA BLA BLA citizen bla bla" dumbasses.

It's like you were saying, apparently the aspiration of gaming isn't to be a game but to emulate movies.

Can understand movie influence, not necessarily a bad thing. Look at any top tier game, chances are influenced by movies. But if this is the pinnacle them off to live in the 90s.

Yup.

Video games are better off focusing on mechanics over cinematics and storytelling, and even then. I would sooner have them tell stories or a message via level design or game mechanics.

There are plenty of novels that have changed how I see the world. Through providing excellent insight, there are movies that left a strong sentimental touch on me. But video game stories? Nah, barring a few adventure games and VN's they are all fairly trite and banal stuff that have been said better a hundred times before in both movies and literature.

But there is one piece of gaming whose story left its mark on me: Rimworld. And stories in that game arise entirely through game mechanics. No pre-written characters, dialogue or plot to speak of.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8508 Posts

@hardwenzen said:
@pc_rocks said:

WHich ND game has good gunplay let alone the best?

You know which. Everyone that isn't a hater such as yourself agrees. You're the minority, so please feel ashamed of yourself for me.

So none then?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#117 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

@Maroxad:

I forgot about the Zarya whining.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By ConanTheStoner
@Juub1990 said:

Which is wild because

1. Why would you even want to, and

2. They'll never get such validation.

Would think that those in the position to make the big decisions would feel comfy in their own skin. Own their craft. Use their medium to do what Hollywood can't.

In fairness there are "cinematic" games that have gameplay on par with or greater than their film like aspirations. Still have their eyes on the prize, flexing with game design. But of course there's those games where the gameplay is treated like an unwelcome nuisance. And at their worst, the segments where interactivity is straight up compromised.

@Juub1990 said:

Funnily enough, this behavior reminds me of kids wanting to be perceived as adults who avoided doing "kiddy" things such as gaming. You've probably seen it yourself like when back then, publishers were pushing for M-rated games and kids only wanted that.

lol yeah. Saw the first push of that general idea with the Genesis, even took that bait myself for a brief period. My friends and I were the target age group for that way of thinking. Funny enough, their older bros were still happily playing Nintendo stuff.

But at least with that bit, more of a silly marketing campaign and the games were still fire.

Really got wack from gen 6 on into early gen 7. And as you said, often times the mature games were the lesser games. Even their idea of "mature" was pretty immature if anything lol. But yeah, many gamers wanted to fit some identity, seek validation.

Often say, don't entirely blame pubs/devs for all the bad. A lot of times they're really just feeding gamers what they ask for.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#119 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 70401 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

This is all so true and exhausting.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Great news for casual nongamers who only play 1 or 2 Sony movie games a year. Soccer moms need entertainment too.

Good lookin' out Sony.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#121 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39700 Posts

@zaryia said:

Great news for casual nongamers who only play 1 or 2 Sony movie games a year. Soccer moms need entertainment too.

Good lookin' out Sony.

Not being able to experience Ragnarok is hurting you guuuud. This is what you get for sticking to pc gaming🤷‍♂️I am sad for you

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Zaryia
@hardwenzen said:
@zaryia said:

Good lookin' out Sony.

Not being able to experience Ragnarok is hurting you guuuud. This is what you get for sticking to pc gaming🤷‍♂️I am sad for you

I didn't even mention Casual of War, you automatically assumed it was the movie game I was discussing. 🤣🤣🤣🤣. At least you know. You go girl, proud of what you are!

As for that new tangent you brought up, you are very protective about your 30 fps non gamer movie games. I will try it out when you are finished beta testing, in between real video games.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By hardwenzen
@zaryia said:
@hardwenzen said:
@zaryia said:

Good lookin' out Sony.

I didn't even mention Casual of War, you automatically assumed it was the movie game I was discussing. 🤣🤣🤣🤣. At least you know. You go girl, proud of what you are!

You are very protective about your 30 fps non gamer movie games. I will try it out when you rae finished beta testing, in between real video games.

You have been doing nothing else but moan about this game. In fact, this game hit you so hard, you didn't even knew its a 60fps title that can run at over 100fps. But this is what happens when you have a lot of trouble finding anything negative to say about the ps5, you take the 30fps last gen standards, and pretend that's what everyone is playing at on a ps5. Wouldn't want to be in your shoes, you're clearly shook to the core.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Zaryia
@hardwenzen said:

You have been doing nothing else but moan about this game.

I wasn't even talking about Casual of War, YOU brought it up. 😂😂😂😂

You automatically equated non gamer soccer mom casual movie game with GoW, and you owned yourself. 😂😂😂😂

@hardwenzen said:

60fps

It's 30 FPS on high, you god damn lying beta tester. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

@hardwenzen said:

and pretend that's what everyone is playing at on a ps5.

Shut the hell up and keep fighting for a distant second place at SW like the last 3 gens. PC is taking this one, again.

@hardwenzen said:

Wouldn't want to be in your shoes,

Not playing the far better version of 99% of PS4/5 games while having 100 more high scoring games and exponentially better online/competitive gaming?

At least you get your 1-2 timed exclusive movie games designed for non gamers every few years.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 hardwenzen

@zaryia: It annoys you that the PS5 is trashing its competition and their titles are getting all the attention. All of this while you have your Scam Citizen as the biggest pc exclusive for over 10 years. What a sad state that you're in. And horizon2 easily clapping the visuals of ANY pc title is also funny, and must be incredibly stressful.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

honestly, I was hoping tlou2 was a one off thing and Neil would get back on track, now with this im not sure.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Zaryia

@hardwenzen said:

@zaryia: It annoys you that the PS5 is trashing its competition and their titles are getting all the attention. All of this while you have your Scam Citizen as the biggest pc exclusive for over 10 years. What a sad state that you're in. And horizon2 easily clapping the visuals of ANY pc title is also funny, and must be incredibly stressful.

PC will win this gen and no timed exclusive casual movie game/tv-show will change this fact. Just like last gen.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Maroxad

PC is by far the best system and it is not even close.

Nintendo is a distant second. At least Nintendo, unlike Sony, still remembers what a video game is about. Third place usually goes to Sony, but with all the studios XBOX has obtained, it is possible that MS might actually grab second place in gen 9 over Nintendo. But even then, everything MS makes goes on PC.

As long as Sony keeps making games focused on the wrong things they will either be last or second last place.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 hardwenzen

@zaryia said:
@hardwenzen said:

PC will win this gen and no timed exclusive casual movie game/tv-show will change this fact. Just like last gen.

Win with what? Unfinished kickstarted projects?🤡🤡🤡🤡You're such a clown.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Zaryia
@hardwenzen said:
@zaryia said:
@hardwenzen said:

With the most AAA, AA, and Indy (by a lot) like last gen all while having nearly all of the top 20-100 best looking games and the ending gfx king. And best online and competitive gaming.

Not going to trade all of that for 1 or 2 timed exclusive casual titles at 30 fps every few years.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 hardwenzen

@zaryia said:
@hardwenzen said:
@zaryia said:
@hardwenzen said:

With the most AAA, AA, and Indy (by a lot) like last gen all while having nearly all of the top 20-100 best looking games and the ending gfx king. And best online and competitive gaming.

Not going to trade all of that for 1 or 2 timed exclusive casual titles at 30 fps every few years.

You have an indie station that Nvidia is exploiting by charging $1000 for a 70 tier gpu. Devs are milking you with unfinished garbage, and gpu manufacturers are releasing the most overpriced gpu's in history. You truly are a beta test subject🤣

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#132 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8910 Posts

@Juub1990: LMAO

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Zaryia
@hardwenzen said:

You have an indie station that

I explicitly said AAA, AA, AND Indy. It wins in all categories thanks to MS/Sony funneling it console exclusives on TOP of all general multiplats.

@hardwenzen said:

You truly are a beta test subject🤣

Nearly every game on PS5 is better on PC, the tiny % that aren't will soon be 😂

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By hardwenzen

@zaryia: Nearly every game when you have like what 4-5 titles? Nice joke. You barely have anything on your system. You have nothing to look forward to. You're desperate for Ragnarok, but you're simply not getting it. Why? Because you don't deserve it.

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 gotgames
Member since 2022 • 476 Posts

@Juub1990: what’s a movie game?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@gotgames said:

@Juub1990: what’s a movie game?

Whose alt is this?

gotgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By gotgames
Member since 2022 • 476 Posts

@Juub1990: I asked you a question have some manners and answer it

Avatar image for Alexander2cents
Alexander2cents

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#138 Alexander2cents
Member since 2012 • 714 Posts

I personally have no problem with this because I find the movie 3 acts far too simplistic.

Having episodes will help make add more creativity than just be like a movie. If that's their plan.