Multiplayer can get just as repetitive as Singleplayer and far more annoying

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

Why is it that console gamers were perfectly fine with playing single-player games a decade ago but now if a game doesn't have online play it's not worth buying full price? Is this really the message we want to give developers ? Games like GOW3 got me thinking, now it certainly is a great game and as far as single-player experiences go it blows away most FPS and online focused games, can it get repetitive ? Sure but saying online doesn't get repetitive is just plain silly. I can understand the appeal of online games but most often then not you get cheaters, hackers ruining the experience for everyone plus glitches and what-not. Im saying this based on my experience but Im sure mostly everyone has experienced this whilst online gaming. Now I like playing online games such Uncharted 2, talk with friends etc but after a while it does get boring, one thing single-player games will always do better is those moments of 'WOW' for lack of better word. Gamers need to break out of this notion that online makes games far better, it's just not true and as far as Im concerned can get more frustrating/repetitive than games focusing on the single-player.

Avatar image for devilsoultaker2
devilsoultaker2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 devilsoultaker2
Member since 2009 • 904 Posts
you obviously have never played halo
VendettaRed07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 VendettaRed07
Member since 2007 • 14012 Posts

I understand your point, but for the most part its because in a multiplayer match different things can happen each match and they almost never play out the same way. For singleplayer thats not really exactly true, the same thing happens pretty much every time you play through a singleplayer campaign and thats why people feel like you get more value out of multiplayer.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#4 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49583 Posts
When I can beat that game in one sitting, or when it's less than 10 hours long. I see no reason to pay full price for it unless it has some other features that holds longevity to it. I will go into a multiplayer game -- company of heroes and COD4 for example -- and experience something new, and unique almost each and every time.
funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
i just dont like online, but since online isnt scripted, you do get more fresh surprises
web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
COD never gets boring for me, been playing nonstop since COD4.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Swift_Boss_A

I understand your point, but for the most part its because in a multiplayer match different things can happen each match and they almost never play out the same way. For singleplayer thats not really exactly true, the same thing happens pretty much every time you play through a singleplayer campaign and thats why people feel like you get more value out of multiplayer.

VendettaRed07

i just dont like online, but since online isnt scripted, you do get more fresh surprisesfunsohng

I think online play gives the illusion that it's not scripted, after a while you will begin doing the same things, same routine and what not and eventually you would get bored, that's if the insulting users and glitches don't get you first. Playing SP sure there is one straight path but it depends on the user how they play it, different weapons, different styles etc. After while anything can get repetitive and online game is not excluded from this.

jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#8 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts

Basically it sounds like you're trying to compare bad multiplayer design to good single player design. If you compare a similar quality area the multiplayer aspect is going to be more enjoyable.

Cheaters are no where near as prevalent as they use to be.

I'll also mention this when L4D2 came out I tried playing co-op and hated it. Took me like an hour to get to the first safe house of the first chapter. I switched to single player and finished the game in a few hours.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Swift_Boss_A

COD never gets boring for me, been playing nonstop since COD4.web966

Tekken never gets boring for me, been playing it since T3! The point is as long as the game is fun it doesn't matter if it delivers as a SP or MP but saying that MP is definitely not the direction console gaming should move towards and definitely not how gaming should be judged.

web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts

[QUOTE="web966"]COD never gets boring for me, been playing nonstop since COD4.Swift_Boss_A

Tekken never gets boring for me, been playing it since T3! The point is as long as the game is fun it doesn't matter if it delivers as a SP or MP but saying that MP is definitely not the direction console gaming should move towards and definitely not how gaming should be judged.

I love single player games, but they in no way last as long as good multiplayer games.
Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#11 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

I have yet to see one hacker or cheater on BC 2, I've maxed out every class, gotten most awards, am level 31, and It's still as fresh as when I first bought it.

I've played quake live since conception , at least twice a week. and still play bf 2 on occasion.

multiplayer does not get old.

as far as online making things better, it will work or it will not work, to use your GOW 3 argument, of course it wouldn't work there.

i don't understand what you are trying to prove. :?

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Swift_Boss_A

Basically it sounds like you're trying to compare bad multiplayer design to good single player design. If you compare a similar quality area the multiplayer aspect is going to be more enjoyable.

Cheaters are no where near as prevalent as they use to be.

I'll also mention this when L4D2 came out I tried playing co-op and hated it. Took me like an hour to get to the first safe house of the first chapter. I switched to single player and finished the game in a few hours.

jrhawk42

There is no such thing as a flawless multiplayer game it's just that gamers have accepted flaws in MP but when a game that is SP only and has very few flaws but becomes a big deal. Replay can be done in SP games too in fact I'll argue that SP only games can have just as much replay value as MP focused games.

SmokieX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SmokieX
Member since 2005 • 2412 Posts

[QUOTE="VendettaRed07"]

Swift_Boss_A

i just dont like online, but since online isnt scripted, you do get more fresh surprisesfunsohng

I think online play gives the illusion that it's not scripted, after a while you will begin doing the same things, same routine and what not and eventually you would get bored, that's if the insulting users and glitches don't get you first. Playing SP sure there is one straight path but it depends on the user how they play it, different weapons, different styles etc. After while anything can get repetitive and online game is not excluded from this.

While it does get repetitive, you have to ask yourself. Which has more replay value. The single player campaign or multiplayer. I get what your trying to say, and while not all games need online multiplayer, some prefer it for the experience they get when playing with friends.

RadecSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 RadecSupreme
Member since 2009 • 4824 Posts

I completely agree which is why I buy and enjoy both single player games and multiplayer games.

bigboss1203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 bigboss1203
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

i love online gaming like Halo, MW2, Killzone, Uncharted etc. but yeah it does get somewhat boring. The only time I ever play those is if there is no games out, Or i just feel like playing a few online matches, but even with that it usually lasts an hour then im done. And i really agree on that Single Player gives more WOW moments. IDK I dont need online to be happy with gaming, hell i didnt have online until Summer of 2009 and i was doing fine prior.

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

I completely agree which is why I buy and enjoy both single player games and multiplayer games.

RadecSupreme
This. Multiplayer in many games eventually gets boring and repetitive. Not all games can keep you playing forever, even if they have an online mode.
Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ninten007
Member since 2005 • 3129 Posts

Multiplayer games get as repetitive as singleplayer games.

Once you play through the maps and you know every nook and cranny things get stale. Oh by the way you kill someone else and you get killed. Rise wash and repeat. Now you have hackers and people that glitch that will ruin your fun.l

COD MW 2 online. You are playing and get killed, you respwan, get killed, respawn get killed, rinse wash and repeat. You have no control over what happens. I like to have control of games I play, hence why I like single player/coop modes better.

I think people are saying games should be online are the people trying to justify paying for Xbox live.

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
When I can beat that game in one sitting, or when it's less than 10 hours long. I see no reason to pay full price for it unless it has some other features that holds longevity to it. I will go into a multiplayer game -- company of heroes and COD4 for example -- and experience something new, and unique almost each and every time.Stevo_the_gamer
New and unique? In a CoD4 match? Each and every time? Like what?
Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ninten007

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]When I can beat that game in one sitting, or when it's less than 10 hours long. I see no reason to pay full price for it unless it has some other features that holds longevity to it. I will go into a multiplayer game -- company of heroes and COD4 for example -- and experience something new, and unique almost each and every time.67gt500

Exactly. All you do is run around, find a place to hide and shoot anyone that crosses your sights. Pretty soon you get killed and start the process all over again.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]When I can beat that game in one sitting, or when it's less than 10 hours long. I see no reason to pay full price for it unless it has some other features that holds longevity to it. I will go into a multiplayer game -- company of heroes and COD4 for example -- and experience something new, and unique almost each and every time.67gt500

What makes CoD4 matches any less unique than those of any other online game?

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#21 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49583 Posts
[QUOTE="67gt500"] New and unique? In a CoD4 match? Each and every time? Like what?

Every. Single. Multiplayer. Game. in COD4 is going to give you a different experience.
Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ninten007

People act like multiplayer modes offer something new everytime.

The last few times I played MW 2 online the first time it played as a shooter, the second match it played as an action platformer, the third time it played as a racer, the fourth time it played as a fighter, and the fifth time we all leveled up against each other RPG style. This is what people are trying to make multiplayer modes sound like.

What I listed above would kill a game being repetitive, but no all I did was shoot, get killed, respawn, etc.

All games are repetitive to a point but it is all about what you prefer and I prefer being in complete control in my single player experiences.

salxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 salxis
Member since 2009 • 4280 Posts
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="67gt500"] New and unique? In a CoD4 match? Each and every time? Like what?

Every. Single. Multiplayer. Game. in COD4 is going to give you a different experience.

Pretty much, you could be faced with a team of snipers/campers/objective capturers/tubers/knifers etc etc. or a good mix of them. Also, you can change your own play styles. This apply to most decent online MPs
cell_dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 cell_dweller  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 19867 Posts
I personally think that we as gamers like interaction with other gamers....simple as that. Beating campaigns, or running through a good storyline certainly has its share of fun, but there's something about playing with other gamers that just has it's appeal. I enjoy games more when I can play on XBL with others than when I'm trying to figure out puzzles in single-player mode.
brennan7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 brennan7777
Member since 2005 • 3253 Posts

I agree. I usually get bored of multiplayer before i get bored of going through a single player campaign multiple times.

Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ninten007

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="67gt500"] New and unique? In a CoD4 match? Each and every time? Like what?salxis

Pretty much, you could be faced with a team of snipers/campers/objective capturers/tubers/knifers etc etc. or a good mix of them. Also, you can change your own play styles. This apply to most decent online MPs

The experience is not different everytime you play because you kill, get killed, fire off missles, get killed by missles, respawn and do the same thing over and over again.

By that logic I can say you can get a different experience in a single player every time by playing the game differently or creating some challenges for yourself.

salxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 salxis

People act like multiplayer modes offer something new everytime.

The last few times I played MW 2 online the first time it played as a shooter, the second match it played as an action platformer, the third time it played as a racer, the fourth time it played as a fighter, and the fifth time we all leveled up against each other RPG style. This is what people are trying to make multiplayer modes sound like.

What I listed above would kill a game being repetitive, but no all I did was shoot, get killed, respawn, etc.

All games are repetitive to a point but it is all about what you prefer and I prefer being in complete control in my single player experiences.

Ninten007
If you generalize it down to the basic, all games are repetitive, you don't need to drastically change the game play to have something "new" every time. Look at Chess or any other board games, the rules are always the same, yet I assure you every time you play you would get a different experience, especially if you play it online where you can find a bunch of people with different play styles/skill levels
67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"][QUOTE="67gt500"] New and unique? In a CoD4 match? Each and every time? Like what?salxis

Yeah - I understand what you guys mean, in the sense that, if you put 24 marbles in a bucket and shake them around, they'll never interact exactly the same way twice... but it's still just a couple dozen marbles knocking around inside a bucket...
salxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 salxis

[QUOTE="salxis"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]Every. Single. Multiplayer. Game. in COD4 is going to give you a different experience.Ninten007

The experience is not different everytime you play because you kill, get killed, fire off missles, get killed by missles, respawn and do the same thing over and over again.

By that logic I can say you can get a different experience in a single player every time by playing the game differently or creating some challenges for yourself.

Exactly, play through GoW 3 without any upgrades = different experience if you are fully upgraded, but in SP you are facing the same opponents each time and eventually you will run out of challenges that you could create on your own. For an online game, you have the ability to modify your own play styles + your enemies will always be changing their play styles as well.
ScorpionBeeBee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 ScorpionBeeBee
Member since 2009 • 394 Posts

Yeah TC I see what your saying and I agree. What I'll do is play multiplayer games for a few months then get tired of them, then I'll take a long break and play through my single player backlog. After a few months of single player my trigger finger will start to get itchy so I'll jump into my shooter(s) of choice, and repeat the cycle. I went through a two- three year phase in the mid 00's were I couldn't touch multiplayer games, yes they can get as repetitive as anything else.

Ninten007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ninten007

[QUOTE="Ninten007"]

[QUOTE="salxis"] Pretty much, you could be faced with a team of snipers/campers/objective capturers/tubers/knifers etc etc. or a good mix of them. Also, you can change your own play styles. This apply to most decent online MPssalxis

Exactly, play through GoW 3 without any upgrades = different experience if you are fully upgraded, but in SP you are facing the same opponents each time and eventually you will run out of challenges that you could create on your own. For an online game, you have the ability to modify your own play styles + your enemies will always be changing their play styles as well.

Except you will most likely never beat GOW 3 on Titan using no upgrades.

The key word is control. I like to be in control of the game and what happens on-screen. I hate running in COD only to be hit by some missle and people abusing rocket launchers. It gets annoying to a point.

I only play sports games, especially basketball and soccer online.

SilverChimera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#34 SilverChimera
Member since 2009 • 9256 Posts

It depends on the game for me. For current day shooters, I think it needs to be there, unless it's something like Bioshock. Resident Evil didn't need multiplayer but I like how they added co-op to Resident Evil 5. Again, not all games need multiplayer, but many devs feel the need to put it there since a lot of people don't buy games unless it has some form of multiplayer. If you're going to add multiplayer to a series or genre that doesn't necessarily need it, do it like Naughty Dog did with Uncharted 2. It's a really fun mode that COMPLIMENTS the single player. NOT REPLACING it. I bought Uncharted 2 juts for the campaign, but the multiplayer lasted me even longer with it. I think that's how it should be done.

Also, quick note: Devs, PLEASE don't let split screen die! Games like uncharted 2 and killzone 2 would be a blast with split screen AND online (like halo 3, resistance 2, etc).

salxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 salxis

Except you will most likely never beat GOW 3 on Titan using no upgrades.

The key word is control. I like to be in control of the game and what happens on-screen. I hate running in COD only to be hit by some missle and people abusing rocket launchers. It gets annoying to a point.

I only play sports games, especially basketball and soccer online.

Ninten007

The fact that you have no control is what made MP experiences different :P, it's frustrating if people chose to use cheap tactics in any MP, but it's part of the experience.

Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Swift_Boss_A
I guess gamers like seeing how they compare to each other, that's probably why MP feels less repetitive because you could always do better on the leaderboards. Gameplay wise it's the same thing, you rinse and repeat, try new and repeat and I can honestly see that getting boring, well it has for me. I guess if all SP games had leaderboards we would stop criticising SP only games but I doubt it.
mtmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mtmatt
Member since 2006 • 612 Posts
I knew this thread was made by a cow considering sheep don't bother. I thought it did everything including addictive multiplayer, splitscreen .... you know the rest
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

I get bored of multiplayer FPS really quickly.

Whereas a good singleplayer, I can play through multiple times. Like the original Operation Flashpoint or Stalker.

mtmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mtmatt

I guess gamers like seeing how they compare to each other, that's probably why MP feels less repetitive because you could always do better on the leaderboards. Gameplay wise it's the same thing, you rinse and repeat, try new and repeat and I can honestly see that getting boring, well it has for me. I guess if all SP games had leaderboards we would stop criticising SP only games but I doubt it.Swift_Boss_A

I enjoy SP games alot and hope they never die but read that back to yourself. Do you get more enjoyment out of killing an AI or a real gamer?

Origami_Kill3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Origami_Kill3r
Member since 2010 • 647 Posts
Well hes somewhat right. Mist multiplayer games are just cloned after each other and doing the same thing over and over can get boring. It seams that peer pressure is very strong in your GS community and you all seem to go along with the general opinion of hate towards a topic if the first few ppl or so show any dislike.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 organic_machine

I enjoy SP games alot and hope they never die but read that back to yourself. Do get more enjoyment out of killing an AI or a real person?

mtmatt

That really depends on the circumstance. I would rather kill a brilliantly designed AI than I would some kid bunny-hopping and 'nade spamming.

mtmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mtmatt

[QUOTE="mtmatt"]

I enjoy SP games alot and hope they never die but read that back to yourself. Do get more enjoyment out of killing an AI or a real person?

organic_machine

That really depends on the circumstance. I would rather kill a brilliantly designed AI than I would some kid bunny-hopping and 'nade spamming.

Brilliantly designed AI? Some are good but your above average player eclipses them by far.
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

Why is it that console gamers were perfectly fine with playing single-player games a decade ago

Swift_Boss_A
Like you said, a decade ago. Anyway, I feel that way for most shooters and racing games, however anything else doesn't really need MP.
gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#45 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
No because in SP you get bored of the AI doing the exact same thing every time where as online everybody has their own tactics (except for MW2 where evrybody camps) :(
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 organic_machine

[QUOTE="organic_machine"]

[QUOTE="mtmatt"]

mtmatt

Brilliantly designed AI? Some are good but your above average player eclipses them by far.

I disagree. I think people consistently go out of their way to ruin the experience as much as possible. I don't have any fun playing with people. I get no satisfaction out of killing other players. I definitely don't suck, I think I'd own plenty of people here at some Quake 3. :P

I'm just not a very competetive person so playing with people is really boring to me.

I'm pretty much in a place where I will never ever buy a multiplayer exclusive FPS ever again. I just don;t have any fun, it's all too boring.

organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 organic_machine

No because in SP you get bored of the AI doing the exact same thing every time where as online everybody has their own tactics (except for MW2 where evrybody camps) :(gamebreakerz__

The way I view it is this:

In a SP mode, you are presented a challenge the way the developers intended.

In MP, people exploit glitches, act cheap, and hack.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

[QUOTE="gamebreakerz__"]No because in SP you get bored of the AI doing the exact same thing every time where as online everybody has their own tactics (except for MW2 where evrybody camps) :(organic_machine

The way I view it is this:

In a SP mode, you are presented a challenge the way the developers intended.

In MP, people exploit glitches, act cheap, and hack.

Depends on the game.
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 organic_machine

I know getting killed every 5 seconds sucks. Maybe you should try MW2. :)mtmatt

Why is it that when anyone hates a given MP FPS, they therefore must just suck at it? It's a silly assumption based on no merit. I know this is hard to comprehend, but I just get bored of multiplayer matches. Even if I am the best on the server. Even if I am the worst on the server. Even if I am somewhere in the middle. I get bored after five minutes.

I undertsand that that's not how anyone else thinks and that the majority of people love the competition. I don't. I'm just not wired like that.